Jump to content

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, chucky said:

Not what I was talking about. I was talking about how he started the show with a 1 knock like every normal person! Then changed to his 3 knock delivery as if he did the three knock from the pilot!

Things change.  Bernie's voice was lower when she was first introduced, Raj couldn't talk to women and suddenly he could...these sort of thing happens over the course of a long running sitcom.  None of these changes ever phased me personally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So ive just typed up what feels like a essay but i figure this is my last taping i go to so might as well do the spoilers right lol here you go and if its too much sorry in advance 😂😂😂 Cold open

Here you go anyone wanting spoilers 😄 The opening scene is so cute its sheldon waking Amy up in bed saying good morning wife and she says good morning husband, then he makes a comment about how i

"The Laureate Accumulation" The gang is watching Campbell/Pemberton on Ellen. Sheldon is just waiting for Ellen to ask them what exactly Super Asymmetry is so the world can see what big frauds th

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Things change.  Bernie's voice was lower when she was first introduced, Raj couldn't talk to women and suddenly he could...these sort of thing happens over the course of a long running sitcom.  None of these changes ever phased me personally.

 I guess we see and feel things differently!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chucky said:

 I guess we see and feel things differently!

And that's fine, I wasn't trying to change your mind.

It just seems to me like people here obsess over any changes to Sheldon's behavior but brush off anyone else's.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Things change.  Bernie's voice was lower when she was first introduced, Raj couldn't talk to women and suddenly he could...these sort of thing happens over the course of a long running sitcom.  None of these changes ever phased me personally.

But if Sheldon saw his father cheating as a child and developed a 3 knock system it makes no sense that he didn't do it when the show started. This isn't a little quirk. They turned it into a plot point.

  • Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vonmar said:

And that's fine, I wasn't trying to change your mind.

It just seems to me like people here obsess over any changes to Sheldon's behavior but brush off anyone else's.

Sheldon is just the most obvious. I don't dissect each character. That takes too long and is boring to me. I look at the glaringly obvious.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vonmar said:

It just seems to me like people here obsess over any changes to Sheldon's behavior but brush off anyone else's.

As I said, they made the knocking a plot point, which of course they are now going to have to forget they ever made (if they haven't already) because George Sr. on YS has become a somewhat sympathetic character and I doubt they will show him cheating.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

As I said, they made the knocking a plot point, which of course they are now going to have to forget they ever made (if they haven't already) because George Sr. on YS has become a somewhat sympathetic character and I doubt they will show him cheating.

Sooo true. Seems like "YS" is changing Sheldon's history

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well coming to the party late and a bit pissed. To be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into the knocking thing in a different perspective and without being condemning of other ppls view's and by considering each and every one's opinion, [emoji106] To be honest, I completely forgot what I was going on about. [emoji16]


Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Well coming to the party late and a bit pissed. To be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into the knocking thing in a different perspective and without being condemning of other ppls view's and by considering each and every one's opinion, emoji106.png To be honest, I completely forgot what I was going on about. emoji16.png


Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
 

Don't worry, I got lost as well!   :sungum:❤️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well coming to the party late and a bit pissed. To be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into the knocking thing in a different perspective and without being condemning of other ppls view's and by considering each and every one's opinion, [emoji106] To be honest, I completely forgot what I was going on about. [emoji16]


Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


I'll have to admit that tequila does that to me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I'll have to admit that tequila does that to me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 

Well, since the medicine I take puts a halt to alcohol, old age does me in these days. Damn, I'd kill for a beer!

Edited by chucky
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Which was BS since he didn't always do this. I totally agree with Chucky on this one.

Oh i agree I am not arguing the change was stupid. It was. Clearly Change and Sheldon is not a popular one. I am fine with Change. As it is the only constant. But the type of change is always the pressing matter. Explaining why he knocked 3 times seemed half assed from the writers. I kinda like how they dropped the Bazinga Catchphrase. So was not like in Different Stroaks with Gary Colemans "What you talking about Willis?". IT can be overplayed. IT is mostly cannon that bothers me. Like how he was a Germaphobe. I recall one time he put a train in his mouth. Last season one episode, he abandoned physics. To become a Mechanic. I mean boy. This show has been on far too long LOL. Sheldon has become a Caricature.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mario D. said:

It only stands out to me because he always did his knocking thing all the time.

Yes and if you remember Leonard once said: "The one good thing about Sheldon is he knocks"

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

And that's fine, I wasn't trying to change your mind.

It just seems to me like people here obsess over any changes to Sheldon's behavior but brush off anyone else's.

And I think you're wrong. IMO, people's problems with certain changes is how they are introduced. I think that when Sheldon started knocking 3 times it wasn't planned, but since people liked it the writers left it in. BTW I liked the 3 knocks, but think they ruined it when they explained it. IMO they should have just left it as a quirk of Sheldon's personality

  • Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Oh i agree I am not arguing the change was stupid. It was. Clearly Change and Sheldon is not a popular one. I am fine with Change. As it is the only constant. But the type of change is always the pressing matter. Explaining why he knocked 3 times seemed half assed from the writers. I kinda like how they dropped the Bazinga Catchphrase. So was not like in Different Stroaks with Gary Colemans "What you talking about Willis?". IT can be overplayed. IT is mostly cannon that bothers me. Like how he was a Germaphobe. I recall one time he put a train in his mouth. Last season one episode, he abandoned physics. To become a Mechanic. I mean boy. This show has been on far too long LOL. Sheldon has become a Caricature.

Sheldon is not a caricature, he is an original.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Sheldon is not a caricature, he is an original.

I don't see it that way anymore. At one time he was most definitely an original, but now TPTB have decided to make him a normal guy. He's now just a husband like Leonard and Howard. No more, no less than that!

Edited by chucky
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vonmar said:

Sheldon is not a caricature, he is an original.

I think he IS a caricature now, but you're right, he WAS an original. That makes me so irritated.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I thought he (along with the other guys and even Penny) started out as caricatures and only became proper characters over time. To quote from Leonard:

"You didn't have a personality, you just had some shows you liked!"

And that was sooo very true at the start of the show where all the guys were such stereotypical nerds with pretty much interchangeable dialogue patterns, it was absurd. (Plus, of course, throwing in Penny as the typical ditzy blonde.)

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Run to India 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

But if Sheldon saw his father cheating as a child and developed a 3 knock system it makes no sense that he didn't do it when the show started. This isn't a little quirk. They turned it into a plot point.

What bothers me more than the knocks appearing several episodes in (and this tends to happen in the early days of a TV show), is that they had 2 explanations and 2 starting points. The first one was that Sheldon knocked on Leonard's door, and called his name, when Leonard was making out with Joyce Kim, until Sheldon got an answer. He seemed to wait between knocks there, he kept knocking because he didn't get an answer. Later, there was the cheating father explanation which dates back to Sheldon's childhood.

Now, if we want to be writers apologist we can say it wasn't explicitly stated that the Joyce Kim incident started the knocking, and that maybe Sheldon would've knocked 3 times anyway, but I'm pretty sure that if we had asked the writers at the end of season 2 they would have said that was the origin of the knocking.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, April said:

And I thought he (along with the other guys and even Penny) started out as caricatures and only became proper characters over time. To quote from Leonard:

"You didn't have a personality, you just had some shows you liked!"

And that was sooo very true at the start of the show where all the guys were such stereotypical nerds with pretty much interchangeable dialogue patterns, it was absurd. (Plus, of course, throwing in Penny as the typical ditzy blonde.)

For the first season your point of view is absolutely correct. Since we were all allowed to follow the development of the different characters, our individual point of view could develop to the respective preferences.

A long time, authenticity stood for Sheldon's quirks and his character, which is no longer there (IMO). The more and more frequent combination with YS destroys his credibility at TBBT. As the protagonist he stands out from the other characters, who also didn't develop more credibly.
But now I save my ire for the way they mess around with Penny!

I think I need to remember the wise words my friends throw at me when I complain about incredibilities, "It's a sitcom, relax!" 😉

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we're running season 12, of course there have been changes in characters, as on any other long lasting show .. it is called series development 🙄

still, for me season one and especially season two are still untouchable!

Edited by margarete
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, veejay said:

For the first season your point of view is absolutely correct. Since we were all allowed to follow the development of the different characters, our individual point of view could develop to the respective preferences.

A long time, authenticity stood for Sheldon's quirks and his character, which is no longer there (IMO). The more and more frequent combination with YS destroys his credibility at TBBT. As the protagonist he stands out from the other characters, who also didn't develop more credibly.

Well, as you know I would start questioning that statement with what "authenticity" and "credibility" has anything to do with Sheldon's quirks as they have always been a thing that come and go on the whims of the writers - some more, some less, naturally. Not to mention that Sheldon has always had a rather unique view of the world and himself, hence whatever he claimed you always have to take with a bucket load of salt.

Like, if people believe Sheldon to be an actual "homo novus" just because he said so and now they are disappointed that it turns out he's a human being after all? That's on them for falling for his pretty obvious delusion. It's always been part of Sheldon's character and all the writers did was add another dimension and exploring his inner life.

Sure, some people would have preferred for him to just be this caricature with barely any depth (and I would still see him as that longer than S1) but I'm rather happy how they developed the character over the years. Of course, it's not perfect and I have a long list of complaints as well but, you know, they are different than your complaints.

1 hour ago, veejay said:

But now I save my ire for the way they mess around with Penny!

Good luck with that, mate!

1 hour ago, veejay said:

I think I need to remember the wise words my friends throw at me when I complain about incredibilities, "It's a sitcom, relax!" 😉

Wise words to live by! lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.