The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

I'm not an academic myself - I chose to afford a colour television and a fitted carpet instead. Nevertheless I sympathise with academics and scientists who find the alternative Caltech universe distracting to the extent it spoils their enjoyment.  ( It's Phillippa Gregory and David Starkey who drive me up the wall and Diana Gabaldon's last book irritated the linguist in me no end. ) Considering how much screen writers are paid, I think viewers - who are their customers - are entitled to expect them to produce realistic and believable scripts. It's very annoying when a piece is based on something that just could not happen. How hard could it  have been to write a script where the procedures were carried out properly ?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I'm not an academic myself - I chose to afford a colour television and a fitted carpet instead. Nevertheless I sympathise with academics and scientists who find the alternative Caltech universe distracting to the extent it spoils their enjoyment.  ( It's Phillippa Gregory and David Starkey who drive me up the wall and Diana Gabaldon's last book irritated the linguist in me no end. ) Considering how much screen writers are paid, I think viewers - who are their customers - are entitled to expect them to produce realistic and believable scripts. It's very annoying when a piece is based on something that just could not happen. How hard could it  have been to write a script where the procedures were carried out properly ?

It’s not so much a question of the skills or even the payment of the writers, but rather the specification of the respective genre (comedy, drama, comic books, novel, documentary, etc.) in which their creations take place.
I don't expect any empirical accuracy in a comedy. I'm sure that this would cause a not insignificant part of the funny entertainment to be lost.
Even though TPTB uses a scientific advisor for some of the narrations, this concerns just a small part of the overall storyline within the series and no proof of plausibility at all (as experience has taught me after so many episodes).

I can understand that this sometimes seems confusing, but does not correspond to the writers' basic attitude.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, veejay said:

It’s not so much a question of the skills or even the payment of the writers, but rather the specification of the respective genre (comedy, drama, comic books, novel, documentary, etc.) in which their creations take place.
I don't expect any empirical accuracy in a comedy. I'm sure that this would cause a not insignificant part of the funny entertainment to be lost.
Even though TPTB uses a scientific advisor for some of the narrations, this concerns just a small part of the overall storyline within the series and no proof of plausibility at all (as experience has taught me after so many episodes).

I can understand that this sometimes seems confusing, but does not correspond to the writers' basic attitude.

I'm willing to ignore things such as Sheldon and Leonard having/not having to live with a roomate, the weird tenure plot and the ambigous nature of the guys and Amy's positions, and forgive Amy jumping from one kind of research to another (I find that ridiculous but I know to many others who have no idea about her field it won't matter). But something like this is just too ridiculous for me, yes. they're writing a sitcom, but I do expect professional writers to do some research into what they're writing. I mean, when I write a fanfic chapter  I do some googling (e.g. checking subjects US kids would learn at school and what would be their hours) so come on... I'm sure it's not too hard for them to ask someone if their plot is not too far-fetched. 

This is very far from what's most upsetting for me in the writing of TBBT, many of you guys probably know that already... I just find it so ridiculous.

• Like 7
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, bfm said:

I'm willing to ignore things such as Sheldon and Leonard having/not having to live with a roomate, the weird tenure plot and the ambigous nature of the guys and Amy's positions, and forgive Amy jumping from one kind of research to another (I find that ridiculous but I know to many others who have no idea about her field it won't matter). But something like this is just too ridiculous for me, yes. they're writing a sitcom, but I do expect professional writers to do some research into what they're writing. I mean, when I write a fanfic chapter  I do some googling (e.g. checking subjects US kids would learn at school and what would be their hours) so come on... I'm sure it's not too hard for them to ask someone if their plot is not too far-fetched. 

This is very far from what's most upsetting for me in the writing of TBBT, many of you guys probably know that already... I just find it so ridiculous.

I'm aware that TBBT has set very own standards in comedy (btw. otherwise I wouldn't be here in the forum). The responsible persons have proven their love for the details several times by the employment of a scientific supervisor and also the mostly correct handling of geeky/nerdy topics. But just because of the long run-time of the series this unfortunately became less and less prominent.
Well, the end is near... */sigh

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, bfm said:

TPTB and WRITERS! Don't want to get started on them today. I just want to enjoy this wonderful, beautiful day! There's always tomorrow for that! Besides, most know my opinion on those two entities already!

6 minutes ago, chucky said:

. I just want to enjoy this wonderful, beautiful day! 

It's so heart-lifting when the weather bucks up. It's going to be a few months now before we have beautiful days over here - 'No sun, no moon, no stars, November' as the saying goes.

31 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

It's so heart-lifting when the weather bucks up. It's going to be a few months now before we have beautiful days over here - 'No sun, no moon, no stars, November' as the saying goes.

Even though it's suppose to be a rainy and gloomy day, it's still wonderful and beautiful to me!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tensor said:

But that's just it. Do we know if Leonard and Sheldon got those type jobs?  How much exactly were Leonard and Sheldon making as post docs?  At this point, they would be making enough to afford their own apartment, but Leonard was just out of his PhD, and has mentioned his  student loan debt (out of no where it's true, but still) so he probably didn't have enough money for his own place and  Sheldon may not have been able to afford his own place, at that time.  (He has specifically said he needed a roommate to help with the expenses. 

Again, I have never heard Howard mention he couldn't live there, just he did because of his attachment to his mother.  After all, he said he could afford to take Apartment 5A for his own.  

She wasn't fresh off the boat.  It seems she was working there before she moved to 2311.  And, prior to that, she was living with Kurt.

And so?  I mentioned in my last post that Sheldon and Leonard living there had changed to Sheldon needing Leonard  to be his personal servant, more than needing him to help with the rent (although there was that mention of needing a roommate to offset the expense).  And, if you go back to my last post, you'll see apartments in Pasadena  were running around $1100 for a one bedroom and $1800 for a two bedroom.  I'm not sure where why you mentioned double the rent.  

Here, I'll make it easy, here is what I said in my last post:

I was well aware of Penny having problems.  

Then perhaps you can explain why Sheldon specifically mentions he needed a roommate to help him with the rent.   You can look at it several different ways, depending on which quotes you use.  It is feasible to have those two to be living there and Penny to live across the hall.   I admit to it being on the edge of believable, but it is far from the fantasy you said it was.  

Tensor, have fun.  It's your your bounce house.

The show is inconsistent and without the incongruitites they would have no show.

But I stand by my comments.  They have highly-prized degrees in a geographic environment that competes for folks with such degrees.  It's not the University of Minnesota or Dalhousie.  

I do not appreciate your condescending "here I'll make it easy" tone.  I've got FAR bigger fish to fry in real life.  

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

I will

The show is inconsistent and without the incongruitites they would have no show.

Of course not, I've never claimed otherwise.  But, the incongruities allow for varying interpretations.  However

23 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Two physicists at Cal Tech would be able to afford their own apartments.

Sheldon was already living there, and was looking for a "roommate" and more someone to drive him around.  Leonard has mentioned his student loans, so I don't see why it's so impossible for the two to live together.  I would argue that the reason they have all the extra stuff (games, movies, comic books, ability to eat out every night) is because they live together. Could they afford all of that if they were living alone, or do they want to save money on rent, electric, water, cable, internet, etc, so they can buy the things that are important to them?  

23 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

It's that a waitress at the cheesecake factory could afford to live across the hall that is the big fantasy.

And it was this comment I was specifically addressing.   I was one of those that looked into it.  The same paper that had an ad looking for waitresses at The Cheesecake Factory, also had the ads for the apartments.  Both of which fit perfectly with the idea that Penny was always just above water financially.  

But I stand by my comments.  They have highly-prized degrees in a geographic environment that competes for folks with such degrees.  It's not the University of Minnesota or Dalhousie.

And I'll stand by my statement that a post doc, does not make as much as a actual staff member in the same field.   I didn't say anything about how much each of them made, just that a post doc made less than those on the staff.  Your comment also presupposes that they wanted to work in other than an academic setting.  If they were only interested in becoming professors, than the defense industry which they seemed nervous about getting involved in, those other jobs in the defense industry wouldn't interest them.  Again, there are so many variables that it's not out of the realm of possibility for the two of them to be living together.  Especially with Sheldon's noted need to have someone to drive him around.  If you think differently, that's fine.   

I do not appreciate your condescending "here I'll make it easy" tone.  I've got FAR bigger fish to fry in real life.  

My apologies, that was not my intention.    Since you claimed, in error,  the prices I listed ($1100 for a one bedroom vs $1800  for a two bedroom) as double for a two bedroom (BTW, the prices were taken out of an ad for apartments in the same building),  I was simply making it easy for you to see the actual numbers, instead of having to go back and look at them.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Swedish Chef said:

Somebody is enjoying dinner very much. :icon_cheesygrin:

Yeah, she really wants to finish her plate. Appears at the end of the second video that she content with what she ate!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, veejay said:

I'm aware that TBBT has set very own standards in comedy (btw. otherwise I wouldn't be here in the forum). The responsible persons have proven their love for the details several times by the employment of a scientific supervisor and also the mostly correct handling of geeky/nerdy topics. But just because of the long run-time of the series this unfortunately became less and less prominent.
Well, the end is near... */sigh

Yeah, thankfully. I'm sorry TBBT has turned into such crap. Quality moments are the exception now, when they used to be the rule. (IMO)

11 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

1) The show is inconsistent and without the incongruitites they would have no show.

2) But I stand by my comments.  They have highly-prized degrees in a geographic environment that competes for folks with such degrees.  It's not the University of Minnesota or Dalhousie.  

3) I do not appreciate your condescending "here I'll make it easy" tone.  I've got FAR bigger fish to fry in real life.  

1) Not necessarily.

2) You refuse to acknowledge evidence

3) Most of us do, but that's beside the point. And talk about condescending ....

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Leonard's memory has put on rosey spectacles over the years :  'fine'  has become 'awesome !'. Penny's has gone the other way : 'fine' has become 'Don't beat yourself up'. 

The Ranu plot was the A plot and it was the best written one of the year.

Plus now we know the wedding episode will be in February 2019 instead of a series finale wedding

P.S. Anu needs to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and tell me she still hates music...

Edited by Tripper
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Leonard's memory has put on rosey spectacles over the years :  'fine'  has become 'awesome !'. Penny's has gone the other way : 'fine' has become 'Don't beat yourself up'. 

I think you call that “selective memory” 😁.

4 hours ago, Shelldon said:

The Ranu plot was the A plot and it was the best written one of the year.

Plus now we know the wedding episode will be in February 2019 instead of a series finale wedding

P.S. Anu needs to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and tell me she still hates music...

Really? I know I’m prob going to get a emoji from you. But I haven’t warmed to The Anu Raj plot line. Saying this goes without saying. Too forced. And I’m sorry why would be a let’s be honest I’m the big picture. A B plot be the series final. That should be revolved around all the main characters. Come on now. 

• Like 3
  • Run to India 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I think Leonard was over embellishing the "Just Fine" sex and Penny was underplaying it a bit.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 3
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

After the new episode I'm really excited about Raj's wedding. I mean, I'm still not a fan of Anu, cause their relationship are rushed, but guess we just have to deal with that, since this is the last season. Anyway, wedding on Valentine's Day - this is so Raj!! I'm just happy for the guy ☺️ and kinda hope for the Lenny/Priya interaction at the wedding 😅

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, smartandbeautiful said:

kinda hope for the Lenny/Priya interaction at the wedding

Don't know if that will happen, considering Penny's opinion of Pryia. But, you never know!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smartandbeautiful said:

After the new episode I'm really excited about Raj's wedding. I mean, I'm still not a fan of Anu, cause their relationship are rushed, but guess we just have to deal with that, since this is the last season. Anyway, wedding on Valentine's Day - this is so Raj!! I'm just happy for the guy ☺️ and kinda hope for the Lenny/Priya interaction at the wedding 😅

That would explain why the show is ending. Of course, the Koothrappalis could also pay for the upcoming costs. But I'm not sure.

R: Well, how would you guys feel about going to India for my wedding?

misc_362.gif.3a2d895274345c03f0d944ed46cef043.gif

All right, all right. 😉

• Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, smartandbeautiful said:

It would seem to be an interesting too because Raj's parents are divorced. Although it would be interesting if Priya, who we know is married, has kids.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 4