[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, chucky said:

With normal people, I'd agree. But Sheldon has a so called eidetic memory that according to him is a never forget memory. So his past memories shouldn't change! Since they do change, then he must have a selective eidetic memory.

Memories don't necessarily change. What they mean and how one reacts to perspective and  further information does.  A memory of an experience can be perfect but turn out to be about something else.   Here's an example : My father had a deeply-engrained memory from when he was three of being with his mother in great distress fetching his father out of a pub. Later, growing up he took it to mean his father was one of those dreadful men whose wives had to go into the pub and beg them to come home before they drank the family income away. Fifty years later I did a little research.  It turned out to be the day Granny's brother had died in WWI. Her sister-in-law had gone into premature labour with the shock and summoned Granny. Granpa hadn't been able to go to the front so he was running a factory that made china parts for wireless operators on the battlefield. It was thirsty work ( he died from the dust many years later ) and the men and even the women needed to go for a drink on the way home. Granny had to go and get Granpa because she needed to leave the kids. My dad's memory didn't change but he dropped his youthful vow never go into a pub himself and did go into one with me (I was a student ) and buy a drink for the first time in his life after that. 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So ive just typed up what feels like a essay but i figure this is my last taping i go to so might as well do the spoilers right lol here you go and if its too much sorry in advance 😂😂😂 Cold open

Here you go anyone wanting spoilers 😄 The opening scene is so cute its sheldon waking Amy up in bed saying good morning wife and she says good morning husband, then he makes a comment about how i

"The Laureate Accumulation" The gang is watching Campbell/Pemberton on Ellen. Sheldon is just waiting for Ellen to ask them what exactly Super Asymmetry is so the world can see what big frauds th

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Memories don't necessarily change. What they mean and how one reacts to perspective and  further information does.  A memory of an experience can be perfect but turn out to be about something else.   Here's an example : My father had a deeply-engrained memory from when he was three of being with his mother in great distress fetching his father out of a pub. Later, growing up he took it to mean his father was one of those dreadful men whose wives had to go into the pub and beg them to come home before they drank the family income away. Fifty years later I did a little research.  It turned out to be the day Granny's brother had died in WWI. Her sister-in-law had gone into premature labour with the shock and summoned Granny. Granpa hadn't been able to go to the front so he was running a factory that made china parts for wireless operators on the battlefield. It was thirsty work ( he died from the dust many years later ) and the men and even the women needed to go for a drink on the way home. Granny had to go and get Granpa because she needed to leave the kids. My dad's memory didn't change but he dropped his youthful vow never go into a pub himself and did go into one with me (I was a student ) and buy a drink for the first time in his life after that. 

The thing is, this explanation works for some of Sheldon's memories, but not for all of them. He recalled his father being too drunk to drive and having his brother (I think at 10?) drive instead of him. That doesn't fit YS George Sr. He recalled his father having a girlfriend who his mother met, that could still happen but it doesn't seem to fit George Sr. from YS. He remembers hhis father making him watch football since he was very young, yet this doesn't seem to happen, at least not as a regular thing, on YS. Mary herself, on TBBT, talked about George Sr. as a stupid drunk, in a way that seem to support Sheldon's ideas of him, yet YS's George Sr. does not fit that description.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, chucky said:

Sorry, not interested in watching "YS". I wasn't talking about the character, but the young actor being cute.  I have no experience with that show to form an opinion on it.

As far as Sheldon's memory goes, I believe he has selective eidetic memory. As I have been made to understand, everything he remembers about his childhood is subject to change on "YS" and some on the later episodes of TBBT.

His memory maybe eidetic, but his understanding of what he remembers changes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBang15 said:

His memory maybe eidetic, but his understanding of what he remembers changes.

If you say so, but as usual I will disagree with you!!!

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I don't think so. That's my humble opinion!

1 hour ago, bfm said:

The thing is, this explanation works for some of Sheldon's memories, but not for all of them. He recalled his father being too drunk to drive and having his brother (I think at 10?) drive instead of him. That doesn't fit YS George Sr. He recalled his father having a girlfriend who his mother met, that could still happen but it doesn't seem to fit George Sr. from YS. He remembers hhis father making him watch football since he was very young, yet this doesn't seem to happen, at least not as a regular thing, on YS. Mary herself, on TBBT, talked about George Sr. as a stupid drunk, in a way that seem to support Sheldon's ideas of him, yet YS's George Sr. does not fit that description.

There's time yet - George Snr may change in the next four or five years.

Just now, legacy99 said:

For me I'll never know because I won't be watching

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nor will I. There's better things to do on Thursday night than watching that show. Of course that's my opinion.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

There's time yet - George Snr may change in the next four or five years.

Some of those things supposedly happened before Sheldon was nine (e.g. the driving and the football watching, I just don't remember the exact ages mentioned), and I also don't see how that man can suddenly become so stupid that he fights with a cactus or a cat or whatever it was that I can't exactly remember right now (that was told by Mary).

• Like 2

If Sheldon had a great memory  why did he forget his flash drive in 2.17? This was actually important to him. No one is particularly surprised he forgot something. He was not surprised either.

Leonard: What’s the matter?

Sheldon: I forgot my flash drive.

Leonard: So?

Sheldon: So we have to go back.

Leonard: Okay, Sheldon, I’m going to say why and your answer cannot be because I forgot my flash drive.

Sheldon: You don’t understand. My flash drive has my paper on astrophysical probes of M-theory effects in the early universe that I was going to give to George Smoot at the conference.

In 2,21 he forgot his keys "in the bowl" and locked himself out of his own apartment.

Sheldon: We have a bowl. Our keys go in a bowl. You should get a bowl.

Penny: So, how did the beautiful mind of Sheldon Cooper forget his key in the first place.

Sheldon: I left them in the bowl.

Edited by djsurrey

2 hours ago, bfm said:

Some of those things supposedly happened before Sheldon was nine (e.g. the driving and the football watching, I just don't remember the exact ages mentioned), and I also don't see how that man can suddenly become so stupid that he fights with a cactus or a cat or whatever it was that I can't exactly remember right now (that was told by Mary).

According to Mary, George tried to fight a bobcat.

Leonard: That is a lovely story. Um, are we going to do anything about Sheldon?

Mary: Oh, we will. You have to take your time with Sheldon. His father, God rest his soul, used to say to me, Mary, you have to take your time with Sheldon.

Leonard: Sounds like a wise man.

Mary: Oh, not so wise, he once tried to fight a bobcat for some liquorice. So, everybody grab a plate, and a pretty placemat that Shelly wove.

Series 1, Episode 4. The Luminous Fish Effect.

• Thanks 1

All I've seen on this week's taping is from a live IG story by Mayim.   A comment about a good episode for Shamy, and a funny one for Howardette.  As before with Mayim's comments, YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

All I've seen on this week's taping is from a live IG story by Mayim.   A comment about a good episode for Shamy, and a funny one for Howardette.  As before with Mayim's comments, YMMV.

n_131.gif.4edf591720d56c57b3692c3f38290863.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

emma.gif~c200

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

Remember, when Mayim said 8-24 was going to be a good episode?  Hence my YMMV.

Even the cast don't know what the final cut is going to be like. I wish we had a spoiler to talk about. I wonder if they mention Stan Lee ?

27 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Even the cast don't know what the final cut is going to be like. I wish we had a spoiler to talk about. I wonder if they mention Stan Lee ?

They did it already after the last episode.

1657353257_The_Big_Bang_Theory_S12E09_TheCitationNegation-0002.jpg.a210fa336b709c57b9db3db30781a9bd.jpg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, chucky said:

If that show lasts that long without riding the coattails of TBBT!

'If' indeed. I don't know if it will the survive the children growing much older. Already as Sheldon has aged a year they've only moved him up one school grade although according to TBBT canon he has to graduate High school and be in AP classes next year. All the characters have their own stories and there's a lot to write every week. It could, I bet, have stood  alone up to now with its own fanbase  had it begun 'cold' without any reference to another show. Whether it can do that under the circumstances is a matter for speculation. There are four ten-year-old children who're going to be adolescent before the programme-makers can blink but possibly not all changing at the same time.  It's going to be challenging to keep coming up with scripts unless they change the title and the focus. Tam's actor has already shot up and looks  more as though he's too old to be friends with somebody four years younger than he did six months ago. I'm not saying they can't rise to it, but whether they'll have the will, the funding and the capability I wouldn't put money on  one way or another.

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, joyceraye said:

If indeed. I don't know if it will the survive the children growing much older. Already as Sheldon has aged a year they've only moved him up one school grade although according to TBBT canon he has to graduate High school and be in AP classes next year. All the characters have their own stories and there's a lot to write every week. It could, I bet, have stood  alone up to now with its own fanbase  had it begun 'cold' without any reference to another show. Whether it can do that under the circumstances is a matter for speculation. There are four ten-year-old children who're going to be adolescent before the programme-makers can blink but possibly not all changing at the same time.  It's going to be challenging to keep coming up with scripts unless they change the title and the focus. Tam's actor has already shot up and looks  more as though he's too old to be friends somebody four years younger than he did six months ago. I'm not saying they can't rise to it, but whether they'll have the will, the funding and the capability I wouldn't put money on  one way or another.

As I haven't seen more than commercials, I'll take your word for it. It seems plausible!  

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic