[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So ive just typed up what feels like a essay but i figure this is my last taping i go to so might as well do the spoilers right lol here you go and if its too much sorry in advance 😂😂😂 Cold open

Here you go anyone wanting spoilers 😄 The opening scene is so cute its sheldon waking Amy up in bed saying good morning wife and she says good morning husband, then he makes a comment about how i

"The Laureate Accumulation" The gang is watching Campbell/Pemberton on Ellen. Sheldon is just waiting for Ellen to ask them what exactly Super Asymmetry is so the world can see what big frauds th

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Kev0821 said:

Mayim recently wrote an article on how the show handles diagnoses:

https://groknation.com/culture/the-big-bang-theory-labels-mayim-bialik/

She is quite off about the characters. It is clear that she doesn't have enough knowledge of diagnostic criteria, and she should have made that clear (her description of her background makes it seem like she knows what she's talking about very well, it is misleading. Leonard may be a stressed-up type, perhaps prone to anxiety, but "anxious" makes it seem like he has an anxiety disroder, which he does not. Also, he has much more than "mommy issues", he has been emotionally abused. Amy does not meet criteria for ASD, to say that she is is highly misleading. Sheldon displays much more criteria of ASD than Mayim mentions. 

Now, as to her opinion. There are many reasons to avoid diagnosing the character that does meet diagnostic criteria of a disorder - Sheldon. The reason Mayim presents I personally do not agree with. She opts for what she sees as a world where conditions are overlooked and everybody is supppedly okey-dokey with them, even when the person's behavior hurts others and/or makes things hard for them. Putting aside my belief that a TV show is not supposed to be a fantasy world that differs very much from real life, unless it is presented as such (e.g., the show is in a different universe or time), I don't think it is right to advocate for mostly ignoring challenges instead of learning to cope with them, and blindly accepting all that others do due to their challenges instead of showing empathy but point that out to them and help them become better.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bfm said:

She is quite off about the characters. It is clear that she doesn't have enough knowledge of diagnostic criteria, and she should have made that clear (her description of her background makes it seem like she knows what she's talking about very well, it is misleading. Leonard may be a stressed-up type, perhaps prone to anxiety, but "anxious" makes it seem like he has an anxiety disroder, which he does not. Also, he has much more than "mommy issues", he has been emotionally abused. Amy does not meet criteria for ASD, to say that she is is highly misleading. Sheldon displays much more criteria of ASD than Mayim mentions. 

Now, as to her opinion. There are many reasons to avoid diagnosing the character that does meet diagnostic criteria of a disorder - Sheldon. The reason Mayim presents I personally do not agree with. She opts for what she sees as a world where conditions are overlooked and everybody is supppedly okey-dokey with them, even when the person's behavior hurts others and/or makes things hard for them. Putting aside my belief that a TV show is not supposed to be a fantasy world that differs very much from real life, unless it is presented as such (e.g., the show is in a different universe or time), I don't think it is right to advocate for mostly ignoring challenges instead of learning to cope with them, and blindly accepting all that others do due to their challenges instead of showing empathy but point that out to them and help them become better.

I agree completely! 

15 hours ago, joyceraye said:

'If' indeed. I don't know if it will the survive the children growing much older. Already as Sheldon has aged a year they've only moved him up one school grade although according to TBBT canon he has to graduate High school and be in AP classes next year.

I don't watch it all the time, although I have seen a few. I'm not sure if the course of the show is in real time or not. But the kids are definitely growing in real time.

5 hours ago, MsGreentea said:

She really posts some stuff that most would choose to keep private.  

If she wasn't talking, I don't know what we'd have to talk about. There's not a whole lot coming from anyone else right now. I do like her saying that labels are not important. My autistic son used to have a tee shirt that said, "Label jars. Not people."

• Like 1

I like Mayim and sometimes read her blog, but I hope she understands that her kids' "late development" was a result of her parenting. Breast feeding until 5 years or so, no tv (the use of TV could have stimulated them into talking earlier) and her other choices. There's probably nothing physically wrong with her kids, just misguided parenting.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Run to India 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

31 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

I like Mayim and sometimes read her blog, but I hope she understands that her kids' "late development" was a result of her parenting. Breast feeding until 5 years or so, no tv (the use of TV could have stimulated them into talking earlier) and her other choices. There's probably nothing physically wrong with her kids, just misguided parenting.

Haha I totally agree 

cant agree any less, and she advertises her self as such a good parent and more or less tells you what your doing wrong with your own kids

She just has to much confidence and she gets wrapped up in what she might be doing wrong 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

While her choices are unusual, you'd have to cite yout sources to claim they resulted in later develoment in her kids. I do not know any claims that TV stimulates talking, and in fact pediatricians have recommended to try to avoid/limit TV hours at young ages. While some studies have shown word learning, under certain conditions, other have shown poorer language skills (this may not be a causal relationship, though). The take away is, as in many cases, nuanced hypothses and hence recommendations. However you put it, you cannot really support the claim that TV stimulates talking and that avoiding it makes for language delays. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/10/21/498550475/american-academy-of-pediatrics-lifts-no-screens-under-2-rule

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's certainly not a parenting style that if I had kids I would do (Mayim's books would not be in my kids library for sure), but overall I feel it's kind of wrong to harshly criticise/speak out about any others parenting style because at the end of the day they are not your kids, what works for you might not work for them and ultimately as long as it's not abusive on an emotional or physical level then what right do I have to criticise?

In terms of Grok Nation I used to read it a lot more than I do now (I have a friend on here and we used to often discuss Mayim's interesting articles and that became a frequent discussion topic back then).

I'm male, no intention of going Vegan, I'm a 'One-Nation Conservative' on the British political spectrum and I don't drink (her site is full of paid for wine reviews these days). So I wouldn't say I am her target audience in regards to her site, but she still does an occasional piece that I read or a video I watch on her channel.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Jonny said:

It's certainly not a parenting style that if I had kids I would do (Mayim's books would not be in my kids library for sure), but overall I feel it's kind of wrong to harshly criticise/speak out about any others parenting style because at the end of the day they are not your kids, what works for you might not work for them and ultimately as long as it's not abusive on an emotional or physical level then what right do I have to criticise?

In terms of Grok Nation I used to read it a lot more than I do now (I have a friend on here and we used to often discuss Mayim's interesting articles and that became a frequent discussion topic back then).

I'm male, no intention of going Vegan, I'm a 'One-Nation Conservative' on the British political spectrum and I don't drink (her site is full of paid for wine reviews these days). So I wouldn't say I am her target audience in regards to her site, but she still does an occasional piece that I read or a video I watch on her channel.

I agree!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Same here, except for the being male and a non-drinker bit.  

Lack of TV does not cause language delay ! I spoke from the age of six months, was talking in sentences by eighteen months and yet not walking until 20 months. I saw my first television when I was five and a half. My aunt had bought one for the Coronation and half the town was in the room, watching the nine-inch screen. The other half was watching the other television in somebody else's house. Everybody in my year at school could already read in English or Welsh and could 'do' tens and units and recite our tables up to five times. Some of our teachers were old enough to have gone to school even before the advent of radio.So did my dad. How did the poor things manage ? In countries where they start school at six instead of four they catch up somehow. :)

If children with a 'normal' brain and nervous system hear language from birth they learn to speak. Some just do not manifest the early stages and start speaking later but at a later level.The most extreme case I recall is that of my neighbour's daughter. I'd known her since she was born and I heard her first words. They were 'I'm going upstairs to see Joy'. She was nearly two and had never even said 'Mamma' or 'Dadda'.   

11 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

I don't know enough details about Mayim and her kids, and more importantly their father, to make that kind of statement. She's not the only person who breast fed for a long time ( although I myself didn't do it past the age of two)  or discouraged TV in this world. There are other ways to stimulate children than plunking them down in front of a TV, as has been pointed out by joyceray. As for some of her other blogs, my only definite problem that I can remember is her saying one of the reasons she was vegan because of the way animals are treated. The farm in Indiana where I get my meat (usually a pig and half a cow every year) is a small farm where the cows are grass fed in pastures, and I can go all spring and summer to see what the pigs and cows are doing. She has no idea how small time farmers take care of their animals or what those animals mean to them.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

I don’t really know, my opinion on mayim is that she thinks she is better then the world by telling the world she is not better then them

she has to much confidence, I guess with it comes consequences

Edited by Burberry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burberry said:

I don’t really know, my opinion on mayim is that she thinks she is better then the world by telling the world she is not better then them

I'm not sure if that's how she thinks or not. But she does put out a lot of information regularly for fans of the show, and as I said earlier, sometimes if she wasn't talking we wouldn't have anyone talking. I have to at least appreciate the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, 3ku11 said:

I think All Parties have moved on. I don’t see any purpose to bring Priya back. 

I agree that all parties have moved on, but if they show the wedding in India it would be sort of strange for Priya not to be there as would be any member of Raj's and Anu's immediate family.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, joyceraye said:

There's time yet - George Snr may change in the next four or five years.

I don't think so. I don't personally believe that YS will last another 4 or 5 years. I could be wrong, of course. One question: how old is Sheldon when his father dies? And when is he supposed to skit shoot Mary's plate collection?

20 hours ago, chucky said:

Well, that's who she is and why the fans love her!

Or some hate her.

26 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I don't think so. I don't personally believe that YS will last another 4 or 5 years. I could be wrong, of course. One question: how old is Sheldon when his father dies? And when is he supposed to skit shoot Mary's plate collection?

Or some hate her.

That's sooo true!

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bfm said:

While her choices are unusual, you'd have to cite yout sources to claim they resulted in later develoment in her kids. I do not know any claims that TV stimulates talking, and in fact pediatricians have recommended to try to avoid/limit TV hours at young ages. While some studies have shown word learning, under certain conditions, other have shown poorer language skills (this may not be a causal relationship, though). The take away is, as in many cases, nuanced hypothses and hence recommendations. However you put it, you cannot really support the claim that TV stimulates talking and that avoiding it makes for language delays. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/10/21/498550475/american-academy-of-pediatrics-lifts-no-screens-under-2-rule

I wasn't really making a scientific conclusion. And to clarify, I used the breast feeding and no tv as just two examples of how she raised them (according to her). It seems they were coddled and sheltered longer than the average child. IIRC, up until recently (if not still), they sleep with her (and her husband when she was married).

Again, that's her prerogative on how to raise her kids.

Edited by BigBang15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know enough details about Mayim and her kids, and more importantly their father, to make that kind of statement. She's not the only person who breast fed for a long time ( although I myself didn't do it past the age of two)  or discouraged TV in this world. There are other ways to stimulate children than plunking them down in front of a TV, as has been pointed out by joyceray. As for some of her other blogs, my only definite problem that I can remember is her saying one of the reasons she was vegan because of the way animals are treated. The farm in Indiana where I get my meat (usually a pig and half a cow every year) is a small farm where the cows are grass fed in pastures, and I can go all spring and summer to see what the pigs and cows are doing. She has no idea how small time farmers take care of their animals or what those animals mean to them.

Agreed. Being vegetarian or vegan for health reasons might be necessary for some people, or it can be a lifestyle choice. There are laws that protect farm and game animals in most civilised countries. If Mayim or anybody else discovers they are ill-treated anywhere she should report it.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

I wasn't really making a scientific conclusion. And to clarify, I used the breast feeding and no tv as just two examples of how she raised them (according to her). It seems they were coddled and sheltered longer than the average child. IIRC, up until recently (if not still), they sleep with her (and her husband when she was married).

Again, that's her prerogative on how to raise her kids.

Paediatricians keep changing their minds about whether or not babies and young children should sleep in the bed with their parents.There are countries in the world where traditionally a whole family sleeps together anyway and it was certainly the norm for most of our ancestors. It didn't stop them inventing the things that make our lives easier, such as the heating, lighting, and building materials that enable us to have our own bedspaces from babyhood onwards if our parents want it that way.

When I was trained, the thinking based on research at the time was that children should be in the company of their mothers ( or effective mother-substitutes) for as much as possible for as long as possible. It was good for developing brains and emotional security. They should learn to fend for themselves and explore the world with the mother watching. 

16 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Agreed. Being vegetarian or vegan for health reasons might be necessary for some people, or it can be a lifestyle choice. There are laws that protect farm and game animals in most civilised countries. If Mayim or anybody else discovers they are ill-treated anywhere she should report it.

If one wants to reduce their "carbon footprint" the easiest way to make a difference is to become vegan.

6 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

If one wants to reduce their "carbon footprint" the easiest way to make a difference is to become vegan.

Veegan definitely not for me. Love beef, pork too much to give em up!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chucky said:

Veegan definitely not for me. Love beef, pork too much to give em up!

I gave up meat due to heath issues and pain is a big motivator.

Giving up dairy was relatively easy.

Having said that I might still eat a piece of chicken perhaps once a month. I don't miss beef or pork at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Or some hate her.

I would love to see that scene on YS. :icon_cheesygrin:

1 minute ago, Swedish Chef said:

I would love to see that scene on YS. :icon_cheesygrin:

I'd have to hear about that scene. 

6 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I gave up meat due to heath issues and pain is a big motivator.

Giving up dairy was relatively easy.

Having said that I might still eat a piece of chicken perhaps once a month. I don't miss beef or pork at all.

As Penny said in Season 1, "I love steak".

10 hours ago, Carlos said:

I agree that all parties have moved on, but if they show the wedding in India it would be sort of strange for Priya not to be there as would be any member of Raj's and Anu's immediate family.

They could say she's having a baby or has a newborn on her hands. They could say that she just took a new job in another country and has no time off coming to her. They could say she broken her leg. There's all sorts of things they could say to explain why she's not there. Leonard's brother never came to any wedding. I didn't see Bernie's brothers at her wedding. There's precedent for Priya not being able to come.

• Like 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic