The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

But she does put out a lot of information regularly for fans of the show, and as I said earlier, sometimes if she wasn't talking we wouldn't have anyone talking. I have to at least appreciate the effort.

There are infos elsewhere from the fans, and sometimes, people just casually spoil in their posts or comments or replies on someone else's social media. I've been spoiled like this a lot of times, it's interesting. 

But I agree with you about Mayim's info sharing, and I appreciate it too.  Whether I share her views on the show is another issue, people disagree with each other on the final version of the episodes all the time, let alone before editing. So, that's nothing, it's her effort of sharing infos that counts, and I appreciate it. 

Edited by KripkeRules
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Carlos said:

I don't think so. I don't personally believe that YS will last another 4 or 5 years. I could be wrong, of course. One question: how old is Sheldon when his father dies? And when is he supposed to skit shoot Mary's plate collection?

Sheldon was fourteen or fifteen when his father died, depending which episode contains the canon. He had a heart attack when Sheldon was nine. His estate wasn't finalised until the twins were about twenty eight..

My guess would be the marriage would be faltering from somewhere around 1993 as it seems to be OK in 1990. I'd say he'd be shooting the plates about then.

7 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

They could say she's having a baby or has a newborn on her hands. They could say that she just took a new job in another country and has no time off coming to her. They could say she broken her leg. There's all sorts of things they could say to explain why she's not there. Leonard's brother never came to any wedding. I didn't see Bernie's brothers at her wedding. There's precedent for Priya not being able to come.

For that I am thankful...

• Haha 2

Priya was a good character, but, to me, her relationship with Leonard was never plausible, as was his relationship with Stephanie.  Stephanie came and went too quickly for me.

Again, it's really too bad the writers did not give Penny a "prestigious" partner during their time apart, as they did Leonard.  It would have been great - and plausible -  to have her dating a professional athlete from one of the area's sports teams.  But this show is more male-oriented than female.  Zack, ultimately, is not a threat to the guys because of his ignorance and stupidity.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

They could say she's having a baby or has a newborn on her hands. They could say that she just took a new job in another country and has no time off coming to her. They could say she broken her leg. There's all sorts of things they could say to explain why she's not there. Leonard's brother never came to any wedding. I didn't see Bernie's brothers at her wedding. There's precedent for Priya not being able to come.

But more precedent for her to be there. Unlike Leonard's brother and Bernie's brothers, she was seen on the show (quite a few episodes).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

LOL Have you ever been to a Hindu wedding ?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Priya was a good character, but, to me, her relationship with Leonard was never plausible, as was his relationship with Stephanie.  Stephanie came and went too quickly for me.

Again, it's really too bad the writers did not give Penny a "prestigious" partner during their time apart, as they did Leonard.  It would have been great - and plausible -  to have her dating a professional athlete from one of the area's sports teams.  But this show is more male-oriented than female.  Zack, ultimately, is not a threat to the guys because of his ignorance and stupidity.

I didn't find Leonard and Priya's relationship implausible. They were two nice and educated people who enjoyed each other's company and were attracted to each other, and they had some nice moments befire the writers turned her into a controlling girlfriend who tries to change Leonard when he doesn't want to and is even physically hurt on the way.

Stephanie and Leonard were compatible in my eyes, until it turned out she is too dependent. Her disappearance was weird.

I agree they could've given Penny a more serious boyfriend, but maybe she didn't really look for one. Zach to me seemed like just "having fun", the kind of guy she would date before Leonard and it wouldn't scare her because there were no real stakes there, as opposed to the high stakes of thinking she may marry Leonard and being aware of their differences and the highly educated women he dated before her.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, bfm said:

I didn't find Leonard and Priya's relationship implausible. They were two nice and educated people who enjoyed each other's company and were attracted to each other, and they had some nice moments befire the writers turned her into a controlling girlfriend who tries to change Leonard when he doesn't want to and is even physically hurt on the way.

Stephanie and Leonard were compatible in my eyes, until it turned out she is too dependent. Her disappearance was weird.

I agree they could've given Penny a more serious boyfriend, but maybe she didn't really search for one. Zach to me seemed like just "having fun", the kind of guy she would date before Leonard and it wouldn't scare her because there were no real stakes there, as opposed to the high stakes of thinking she may marry Leonard and being aware of their differences and the highly educated women he dated before her.

I never had a problem with Priya except of course she was with Leonard and I love Lenny.  Her trying to get Penny out of Leonard’s life was great sitcom soap opera as was the contact lens fiasco.  .  I thought she was a great character given that she wasn’t end game.  The scene where Lenard says she won (the screw up competition) was great.  

7 hours ago, joyceraye said:

LOL Have you ever been to a Hindu wedding ?

I guess this one was probably not typical. https://www.google.com/search?q=kunal+nayyar+wedding&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijn5qLyPDeAhXCzlkKHaQbD98Q_AUoAXoECAwQAQ&biw=768&bih=922#imgrc=JJuaLUN8XPygNM&imgdii=0kQswCJ0c6iuWM

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MsGreentea said:

I never had a problem with Priya except of course she was with Leonard and I love Lenny.  Her trying to get Penny out of Leonard’s life was great sitcom soap opera as was the contact lens fiasco.  .  I thought she was a great character given that she wasn’t end game.  The scene where Lenard says she won (the screw up competition) was great.

Totally agree!

1 hour ago, MsGreentea said:
6 hours ago, bfm said:

I never had a problem with Priya except of course she was with Leonard and I love Lenny.  Her trying to get Penny out of Leonard’s life was great sitcom soap opera as was the contact lens fiasco.

That was a during a period I was considering giving up the series.  I hate that stuff starting with 3.19 The Wheaton Recurrence. The introduction of Mayim Bialik kept me curious and watching despite my revulsion with what they did to Lenny back then.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, bfm said:

I agree they could've given Penny a more serious boyfriend, but maybe she didn't really look for one. Zach to me seemed like just "having fun", the kind of guy she would date before Leonard and it wouldn't scare her because there were no real stakes there, as opposed to the high stakes of thinking she may marry Leonard and being aware of their differences and the highly educated women he dated before her.

Not a more "serious" boyfriend, but one with greater status, without Zach's obvious fault.  It also would have killed the "she 'settled' for Leonard" meme if she had dated one of the Anaheim Ducks, or Angels before getting back to Leonard.  Penny's smart and attractive, she could have dated someone better than Zach.

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Not a more "serious" boyfriend, but one with greater status, without Zach's obvious fault.  It also would have killed the "she 'settled' for Leonard" meme if she had dated one of the Anaheim Ducks, or Angels before getting back to Leonard.  Penny's smart and attractive, she could have dated someone better than Zach.

I’m sorry if Penny had dated anyone seriously. It would of undermined the whole purpose of Leonard and Penny. It’s fine seeing Leonard have a serious relationship with Priya. But I’m sorry it would not work the same with Penny. I beleive this was deliberate from the writers. Penny doesent do serious. She wasent ready for a long term commitment with Leonard. So their break up was purposely done to give the character space. And drag it out over more profitable seasons. I’m sorry I’m glad Penny was not like Jackie in That 70s show. It’s like if Amy had a serious boyfriend. Lenny and Shamy are special. 

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Yes, I have. Why do you ask?

The guests don't stay at home with new babies they bring them along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

I've been rather rare around here for the last month or two (I usually helicopter in a few times a day to check on the place).  We finally got all our damaged fixed (a year after the storm), and are doing some other upgrades to the house.  I had the house re-stuccoed, and I'm in the middle of painting it, , replacing some carpeting with tile, and we have new doors.  Also, some electrical work done, and I am adding ethernet throughout the house.  The doors and the electrical work I had people come in to do it.  The painting, tiling, and ethernet I'm doing myself.  Along with this, we had to had to replace several large appliances.  I love that my TV died on Friday, Friday.  So I was able to get a pretty great Sony (65" XBR900F) for 900 less than the average price I found on the internet, prior to Black Friday.   With all of that, I'm also working on some data analysis ( a part time job) and a fan fic, (It's a Lenny story) and I'm at chapter 42 so most of the time I'm on the computer, I'm either writing or tweaking some program parameters for the analysis.  

I bring all this up to give you the reason I have not been doing the schedule, or the ratings (although I've been doing Season 12 character times, just not putting it up yet).  I'm hoping to have all the work on the house done in the next couple of weeks and the data analysis has to be done by the 9th.  I will try to catch up on everything over the holidays, and early January.  Although I'm looking at trying to get some tickets for a taping in January.  

So, please accept my apologies for not being able to keep up with those things so far this year.  

Appears someone has been and continues to be busy! Good luck with the remaining repairs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

I get your point, and I'm not saying what they did was necessarily better. What I meant was maybe being with someone with more potential would be more serious in her eyes and that would bring up her fears or the feeling of replacing Leonard that maybe she didn't want to feel. Zach was more of an escape, like being with somebody without really being with somebody. I do think that it was nice to see that Leonard was the one who was able to move on faster than Penny (in fact she never really did), showing he's not so lame and desperate for Penny. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

The reason they didn't give Penny a prestigous partner during their time apart as they did Leonard was it would of affected what they where trying to portray. They wanted to Show Penny upset and jealous whilst he dated Priya to show that Leonard meant alot more to her than she was willing to reveal. Had she been dating a professional athelete at the time she wouldn't have been concerned about who Leonard was dating, besides how on earth would Penny meet such a guy?. The whole point of the Priya relationship with Leonard was to show that Penny was not over Leonard culminating in the revelation to Raj that she had screwed up and never should of broken up with him. Had she had been dating a guy like you suggest that had little chance of that ever being revealed. 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I’m sorry if Penny had dated anyone seriously. It would of undermined the whole purpose of Leonard and Penny. It’s fine seeing Leonard have a serious relationship with Priya. But I’m sorry it would not work the same with Penny. I beleive this was deliberate from the writers. Penny doesent do serious. She wasent ready for a long term commitment with Leonard. So their break up was purposely done to give the character space. And drag it out over more profitable seasons. I’m sorry I’m glad Penny was not like Jackie in That 70s show. It’s like if Amy had a serious boyfriend. Lenny and Shamy are special. 

Again, not "serious," but a date with a guy having "status."

Had she dumped a major league baseball player to be with Leonard, then the "she settled for him" jokes would not work.

47 minutes ago, Zephon75 said:

The reason they didn't give Penny a prestigous partner during their time apart as they did Leonard was it would of affected what they where trying to portray. They wanted to Show Penny upset and jealous whilst he dated Priya to show that Leonard meant alot more to her than she was willing to reveal. Had she been dating a professional athelete at the time she wouldn't have been concerned about who Leonard was dating, besides how on earth would Penny meet such a guy?. The whole point of the Priya relationship with Leonard was to show that Penny was not over Leonard culminating in the revelation to Raj that she had screwed up and never should of broken up with him. Had she had been dating a guy like you suggest that had little chance of that ever being revealed. 

She would meet such a guy at the cheesecake factory, the gym, whatever.  I see all sorts of celebrities [political, news] at a dodgy diner by my house.  A sports/news broadcaster.  She's always depicted as the sportsfan on the show.  

Penny is supposed to be the "hot" girl, but she was only shown dating brawny knuckle-draggers.  She's cute and funny and would have been able to attract a better class of guy.  The exception was seeing that physicist who was a complete cad.

Leonard was supposed to be the one who had difficulty with women, yet women threw themselves at him.

As depicted on the show, their experiences dating others was the opposite of the premise of the show.

• Thanks 1

@Silver1984  I'm speechless...
Oh, wait, thank you very much! Spoilers are always appreciated. 😁

(Btw. There’s a question from Penny: Does he stay? Do they kiss? Does she find out about Montana? S8 - The Troll Manifestation)

Edited by veejay
  • Like 1

Thank you very much @Silver1984!!! I hope you're feeling better.

Sounds like a good one for Sheldon and Amy. What Amy says IRL would be a reaction that would come much much earlier, but, as opposed to their other ridiculous inaccuracies re the academic world, this one, to me, is forgiveable. 

I still think the whole tape thing is completely unnecessary. #lettbbtbe

Nice that Baranski got a little guest appearance in the last season. I suspect they did want Metcalf but she was unavailable, I hope they'll get her in later.

Another Shamy centered episode with a dash of Howard/Howardette. Well, at least it doesn't seem to be bad for Lenny, so I guess that's something...

2 hours ago, Zephon75 said:

Actually it could have made the point better if Penny had a relationship that had potential, and still wanted Leonard and was jealous of Priya.

But again, I think Penny only on-and-off, sorta-kinda dating Zach could be seen as Penny not really moving on.

1 hour ago, Capt. Hilts said:

Had she dumped a major league baseball player to be with Leonard, then the "she settled for him" jokes would not work.

To be fair, that joke does not fit the story as it is, but that doesn't bother the writers. I don't think Penny having dated a guy with "status" would have prevented them from making that joke.

• Like 4