The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

I highly doubt that because Kaley has always told us how much she does not like children  
I think you are getting your facts mixed up. Kaley has stated the she doesn't want to work with kids on the show. At no point has she said, she doesn't like kids. She has said in lots of interviews how she can't wait to be a mother.

https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/television/i-dont-like-working-with-kids-kaley-cuoco-2794941/

https://www.newidea.com.au/big-bang-theory-star-kaley-cuoco-baby-news

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bfm said:

I seriously doubt that. 

They could have Leonard going to work in a far place for some months, perhaps going some episodes into the season. He would make visits and communicate through Skype. Penny could also visit him. 

They could do that. Leonard has been barely visible in the recently.

Would they go so far and to pair Penny with Raj?

• Run to India 1

1 hour ago, Burberry said:

I highly doubt that because Kaley has always told us how much she does not like children  

That was younger Kaley. She said she didn't want to work with kids. Ever since her friend had a baby, she's been talking about her and Karl maybe having one.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Well, Buffy hooked up with Spike, so sure. It’s doable, theoretically. Not unprecedented. But I think Buffy had died and then come back from Heaven and had had trouble adjusting to her resurrected status, and was using Spike as a coping tool.

What Penny would have to go through that’s comparable, I don’t know. Could they do a “Darrin from Bewitched” or “Becky from Roseanne”? I’d think not. Tragi-comic widow seems like a good reboot to me. Though maybe it’s more spin-off.

I think if Johnny, Kaley or Jim don't want to continue they won't renew the show.  Those three are the lynch pins on why the show concept exists.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I think if Johnny, Kaley or Jim don't want to continue they won't renew the show.  Those three are the lynch pins on why the show concept exists.

I agree it was like that. At least up to season 8. Then it seemed to drift.

2 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I agree it was like that. At least up to season 8. Then it seemed to drift.

What drifted?

The show well continue if they retain the big 3. They are all that matters at this stage tbh. They could survive without Howard, Raj, Bernadette, and Amy. But I Cannot see them doing the show without Leonard, Penny, and Sheldon. Be like in That 70s Show. When Foreman and Kelso left. 

5 minutes ago, vonmar said:

What drifted?

The focus of the show. Less Lenny, less Sheldon/Leonard, more Howard/Bernadette and more Shamy.

1 minute ago, djsurrey said:

The focus of the show. Less Lenny, less Sheldon/Leonard, more Howard/Bernadette and more Shamy.

People are still watching...the show is still pulling in huge numbers.

What I was trying to say that the show would crash and burn without Johnny, Kaley or Jim and IMO I don't think that any of the three would consider continuing without the others.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, vonmar said:

What I was trying to say that the show would crash and burn without Johnny, Kaley or Jim and IMO I don't think that any of the three would consider continuing without the others.

I'm sure tbbt would take a hit on ratings.

I honestly don't know what the actors would do. Also, don't know who could be brought in to replace anyone that left. Also, when the studio and the network negotiate with each other first is that contingent on the show retaining the principal actors?

18 minutes ago, vonmar said:

In lots of episodes already we see the main characters with people other than their partners and in places other than their homes. I think they could easily cope without even the main ones in every episode.

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

In lots of episodes already we see the main characters with people other than their partners and in places other than their homes. I think they could easily cope without even the main ones in every episode.

I think Sheldon would be lost without Leonard, as Leonard and Penny would be lost without each other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Also, when the studio and the network negotiate with each other first is that contingent on the show retaining the principal actors?

At this stage it's more can we do this?  Is so, at what price?  Who is going to pay for what, or what percentage of an item will each of them pay for.   I'm sure the preliminary discussions will include what will happen if they all return, or what they can continue with, if some decide not to return.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

I don't the ratings are that relevant to story telling. S3 was the shows highest rated season. I dont think what character is getting the most screen time, has any baring on the shows viewership. 

And I disagree show could cope without the main characters in every scene. Most ppl are only watching because of Sheldon, and Leonard and Penny. Like I said it would be like when Foreman and Kelso left That 70s show. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

But let’s be honest the Shamy storyline is done. He got a girlfriend, he had sex,he got married. Some will argue Sheldon and Amy  may make a scientific discovery, The show IMO is now a RomCom.  People don’t  watch the show for science.  Thus my guess is by the end of next season the ratings won’t be like they are right now.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't the ratings are that relevant to story telling. S3 was the shows highest rated season. I dont think what character is getting the most screen time, has any baring on the shows viewership. 

And I disagree show could cope without the main characters in every scene. Most ppl are only watching because of Sheldon, and Leonard and Penny. Like I said it would be like when Foreman and Kelso left That 70s show. 

It's never the same and people don't like it. I'm thinking Stargate SG-1, Happy Days, Three's Company and 8 simple rules. On the other hand after 13 years it is not the same anyway.

4 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

But let’s be honest the Shamy storyline is done. He got a girlfriend, he had sex,he got married. Some will argue Sheldon and Amy  may make a scientific discovery, The show IMO is now a RomCom.  People don’t  watch the show for science. 

Hardly. Now we have the in-laws.

7 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Thus my guess is by the end of next season the ratings won’t be like they are right now.

Could be right about that. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

But let’s be honest the Shamy storyline is done. He got a girlfriend, he had sex,he got married. Some will argue Sheldon and Amy  may make a scientific discovery, The show IMO is now a RomCom.  People don’t  watch the show for science.  Thus my guess is by the end of next season the ratings won’t be like they are right now.

So by your account is the Lenny story line also done?   Same thing...he got a girlfriend, he had sex,he got married.

• Like 4
  • It's a Tiara 1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, vonmar said:

To me, it's not the same thing. 4A/4B have existed since the pilot and are the hub of the familiarity of the show.

While you're right, I think that the familiarity of the show lies more with the characters per se: Sheldon would be Sheldon anywhere, as would Leonard, as would Penny etc. etc. Not that I think they're going to do it, but perhaps moving them to their own houses could infuse the show with new vigor. Just a thought...

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Carlos said:

While you're right, I think that the familiarity of the show lies more with the characters per se: Sheldon would be Sheldon anywhere, as would Leonard, as would Penny etc. etc. Not that I think they're going to do it, but perhaps moving them to their own houses could infuse the show with new vigor. Just a thought...

The characters have (for the most part) changed or grown.  The main sets are the constant. IMO. Stairway scenes, 4A/4B scenes, group dinners..etc. 

• Like 1

Stairway scenes and group dinners, not so much anymore. You have P/L and S/A dinners these days. Those are few and far between.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Why do people think Penny has to hook up with someone else if Leonard is not around? If it's one season he can be away for a few months, with visits (could be off-screen). Penny never cheated on him, including when he was away for 4 months, why would she now? I believe she would eagerly wait for him to return. If anything, I think plots abouy her missing him or being his representative in something with the gang thay concerns him are more plausible in this case.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 3

51 minutes ago, bfm said:

Why do people think Penny has to hook up with someone else if Leonard is not around? If it's one season he can be away for a few months, with visits (could be off-screen). Penny never cheated on him, including when he was away for 4 months, why would she now? I believe she would eagerly wait for him to return. If anything, I think plots abouy her missing him or being his representative in something with the gang thay concerns him are more plausible in this case.

Who talked about a hook up? We don't know how contracts might go. If he will stay; if he will go or if he will just travel. Perhaps he has a tragic accident. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vonmar said:

I think if Johnny, Kaley or Jim don't want to continue they won't renew the show.

7 hours ago, vonmar said:

the show would crash and burn without Johnny, Kaley or Jim and IMO I don't think that any of the three would consider continuing without the others.

I'll second that.

Edited by snowflake79
  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Any of them of goes the format has to be changed but honestly I think Jim is probably the most irreplaceable one now and has been for a long time (he's had the most screen time 10 of the 11 seasons, safe to say he plays the most iconic character on the show as evidenced by his YS show) he goes and then there is absolutely no show.

Don't rule out the spinoff solution either, like I said everyone wants them all back but if TBTB think they could spawn a spinoff show instead and it's viable it could happen.  And with YS going to be around for a few years it could be a Sheldon or Shamy one, it makes a lot of sense if a spinoff is an option.  Plus a spinoff would cost a lot less money.

Obviously I wouldn't expect a spinoff to get near the same viewing figures as this show (but it may not need to, it would cost a lot less) and I will reiterate it's not my desire to see a spinoff as I want them all back.

Here's hoping they all sign.

• Like 2
  • Run to India 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1