The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, Jonny said:

honestly I think Jim is probably the most irreplaceable one now and has been for a long time (he's had the most screen time 10 of the 11 seasons,

To paraphrase Al from "Home Improvement", "I Don't Think So, Jonny".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bfm said:

Why do people think Penny has to hook up with someone else if Leonard is not around? If it's one season he can be away for a few months, with visits (could be off-screen). Penny never cheated on him, including when he was away for 4 months, why would she now? I believe she would eagerly wait for him to return. If anything, I think plots abouy her missing him or being his representative in something with the gang thay concerns him are more plausible in this case.

I’m going to say the the show has shaped the expectations of the audience. They started outside the box and by S11 they had put everyone inside the box.

Except Raj, who is still bouncing up and down taking peeks over the wall of the box.

Good point. Why would she? She’s married, happily.

(I totally stopped comprehending properly at “hook up”. My bad)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Mario D. said:

My best guess estimate would be, if the writers are brave enough, have Lenny buy a house maybe near Howardette and then Shamy can move back into 4A. This scenario would keep the hallway set.

I would like that. They could move back and forth between Howardette (which I thought was more interesting in several eps recently) and Lenny's house, and Shamy would get out of that obviously too small apartment. Jim is so tall he makes that room and furniture look like a doll's house.

16 hours ago, bfm said:

What does cutting her hair has to do with changing the character's job?

Some people feel the short hair was more professional looking...not everyone obviously, but some.

16 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Actually JP could be the one leaving. He has a place in NY he lives most of the time and he is selling his place in LA. I’m sure there is no need for him to be in LA for his voiceover for YS. He could do that in NY.

And his first love is still the theater. He likes doing theater.

10 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Hardly. Now we have the in-laws.

Any appearance IMO of the in laws will have diminishing returns.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Any of them of goes the format has to be changed but honestly I think Jim is probably the most irreplaceable one now and has been for a long time (he's had the most screen time 10 of the 11 seasons, safe to say he plays the most iconic character on the show as evidenced by his YS show) he goes and then there is absolutely no show.

Don't rule out the spinoff solution either, like I said everyone wants them all back but if TBTB think they could spawn a spinoff show instead and it's viable it could happen.  And with YS going to be around for a few years it could be a Sheldon or Shamy one, it makes a lot of sense if a spinoff is an option.  Plus a spinoff would cost a lot less money.

Obviously I wouldn't expect a spinoff to get near the same viewing figures as this show (but it may not need to, it would cost a lot less) and I will reiterate it's not my desire to see a spinoff as I want them all back.

Here's hoping they all sign.

I seriously doubt there'd be a spin off. The main 5 get ~$1mil/episode. What incentive would they have to continue their character at anything less. What incentive would WBTV and/or CBS have to pay that much on an unproven spin-off. Especially knowing that one (or more) of the main characters from TBBT would not be coming along.

5 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

How? Penny's in-laws worked well (Beverly & Alfred).

Leonards' in-law (Penny's father, Wyatt) worked well. Her mother, another story, but that's because most of her mother's story was covering up for Penny's brother.

Howard's father-in-law worked well (Mike).

Bernadette's mother-in law worked well (Mrs. Wolowitz).

Amy's mother-in-law worked well (Mary).

Where is the diminishing returns?

Edited by BigBang15
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, vonmar said:

So by your account is the Lenny story line also done?   Same thing...he got a girlfriend, he had sex,he got married.

The big difference is Penny career. There is a story. Also I'm one of the one's on this forum who said the show could of been wrapped up a couple of years ago.

4 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

I seriously doubt there'd be a spin off. The main 5 get ~$1mil/episode. What incentive would they have to continue their character at anything less. What incentive would WBTV and/or CBS have to pay that much on an unproven spin-off. Especially knowing that one (or more) of the main characters from TBBT would not be coming along.

How? Penny's in-laws worked well.

Leonards' in-law (Penny's father) worked well. Her mother, another story, but that's because most of her mother's story was covering up for Penny's brother.

Howard's father-in-law worked well.

Bernadette's mother-in law worked well.

Amy's mother-in-law worked well.

Where is the diminishing returns?

Okay what about the other 23 episodes for this year.

13 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Well, Buffy hooked up with Spike, so sure. It’s doable, theoretically. Not unprecedented. But I think Buffy had died and then come back from Heaven and had had trouble adjusting to her resurrected status, and was using Spike as a coping tool.

Not quite the same thing. Spike was supposed to be a short term character and the response to him was so overwhelmingly positive they made him permanent. I loved Buffy with Spike. I wrote a lot of fanfic back in the day about them. (There was a forum called Tainted Love that got quite lively) The only ones who hated it were the fans who thought Angel would come back, which most fans came to accept was NOT going to happen and learned to deal with. I don't think anyone at TBBT wants any of the characters to change partners, and I think it has to be everyone or nothing. I do think they could go on with some of the characters part time, but I really don't think they aren't going to change any of the relationships now.

As for the ratings, I certainly think that's all the powers that be care about, and they have been very good, even with the focus on Shamy that a portion of the fan base isn't interested in. And it is a portion. There are fans who like them.

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Any of them of goes the format has to be changed but honestly I think Jim is probably the most irreplaceable one now and has been for a long time (he's had the most screen time 10 of the 11 seasons, safe to say he plays the most iconic character on the show as evidenced by his YS show) he goes and then there is absolutely no show.

I totally agree. Jim's Sheldon is what made the show unique. The others made it a good comedy, but his portrayal of Sheldon was what made the show different. He was the only reason i watched at first. I didn't like any of the other characters very much. I had to get used to them. But it's always been how the others react to something he's done or said or caused that drives most of the storylines.

12 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

You don't like Kathy Bates and Teller? Most fans feel they did a great job. And most fans love Mary as Sheldon's mother. Not everyone, obviously, but the response was generally good. I think they could all keep making appearances and it could out.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

You don't like Kathy Bates and Teller

I don't think it's a case of liking or not liking them. It's the characters they portray. They're not needed again. They should be treated as Leonard's dad and Penny's mom. They're there for the wedding and not discussed again.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chucky said:

I don't think it's a case of liking or not liking them. It's the characters they portray. They're not needed again. They should be treated as Leonard's dad and Penny's mom. They're there for the wedding and not discussed again.

To me them being in the first episode of the upcoming season is overkill. I agree with what you said above. I think having them on again shows desperation on the writers part.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chrismo said:

To me them being in the first episode of the upcoming season is overkill. I agree with what you said above.

I feel that the only reason they're in the episode is to bring in Kathy Bates/Teller fans as viewers. I don't think they are needed in that capacity. Mary and Alfred came in the day prior to Lenny's wedding for the pre-wedding dinner, stayed for the next day wedding then went home. Wyatt, Susan and Randal came for the wedding then went home. Amy's parents should have followed suit. They are not needed to pester the gang. That's shamy's job and they are well equipped to do that without anyone's help.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Who talked about a hook up? We don't know how contracts might go. If he will stay; if he will go or if he will just travel. Perhaps he has a tragic accident. 

If we're talking one season I really can't see them killing him off. That would be WAY to heavy for TBBT.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, bfm said:

What does cutting her hair has to do with changing the character's job?

In an interview between seasons 7 & 8 she cut her hair for a movie role and she said she thought that they may give her an opportunity for a different job. Thus, she became a pharmaceutical sales rep

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

In an interview between seasons 7 & 8 she cut her hair for a movie role and she said she thought that they may give her an opportunity for a different job. Thus, she became a pharmaceutical sales rep

She's very good at it too. Flirting is her specialty!  😉

• Like 3

Just now, chucky said:

True, but she may be growing tired of it right now.  I hope they offer her the PR job think she would be good at it.....she is a people person!   Also, would like to see her get a sales award as a storyline so she can put it up against all the awards and accolades her husband and the guys have won.

• It's a Tiara 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, chucky said:

The only problem is she HATES flirting.  She mentioned it early on (maybe in the Billy Bob Thornton episode) and even in the Big Bear episode complained about flirting with the female doctor (she ended up having to go to a Melissa Etheridge or Indigo Girl concert---I forget which).  She does not like to flirt....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chucky said:

I would not have a problem with Leonard's dad coming back occasionally. They do it with Beverly and Mary. I'm certainly not saying they need to be there all the time. It's just that I think the family members could be there once in awhile without it being a big deal. When they didn't talk about Leonard's dad, Penny's mom or Amy's parents fans did keep asking about them, after all. Heck, I still have friends who want to know if we'll ever see Penny's sister or Leonard's brother. If Leonard's dad showed up again and did something with Leonard and Penny and maybe even some of the others it definitely would not bother me at all. As far as we know, the wedding is just over and Amy's parents are still around right after it for some reason. We don't know why yet. I want to see why before I see that it's not needed. How I feel about it depends on what the storyline is. I may end up agreeing it wasn't necessary but right now I don't know.

3 hours ago, Chrismo said:

The big difference is Penny career. There is a story. Also I'm one of the one's on this forum who said the show could of been wrapped up a couple of years ago.

If they do anything with Penny's career...which I have no faith they will do at this point but i could be wrong. I also said the show should have ended before. I'm totally with you on that.

26 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

She does not like to flirt....

Perhaps not now. But she used to. That is undeniable. "Drinks are on THESE!" anyone? That would have had to have involved flirting, not just showing her breasts.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, chucky said:

I think Sheldon would be lost without Leonard, as Leonard and Penny would be lost without each other.

There are many scenes with Sheldon without Leonard and whole episodes in which Leonard and Penny are not in the same scenes. It's a matter of organisation.

17 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

There are many scenes with Sheldon without Leonard and whole episodes in which Leonard and Penny are not in the same scenes. It's a matter of organisation.

But I don't they could do that for an entire season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

But I don't they could do that for an entire season.

They wouldn't have to. They could work scripts around the availability of the cast members who didn't want to be tied down if that was an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

The only problem is she HATES flirting.  She mentioned it early on (maybe in the Billy Bob Thornton episode) and even in the Big Bear episode complained about flirting with the female doctor (she ended up having to go to a Melissa Etheridge or Indigo Girl concert---I forget which).  She does not like to flirt....

She may not like it but with her sales she's still good at it. Also in that Episodes she says she gets better sales when she flirts.

3 hours ago, Mario D. said:

It wasn't obligatory. She could be a waitress with short hair.

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

Not what I was talking about. I'm talking about an entire season, not just an scene or two.

45 minutes ago, bfm said:

It wasn't obligatory. She could be a waitress with short hair.

That is true but we were not privy to what discussions went on when she cut her hair. Maybe they were thinking of a change, maybe not.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

That is true but we were not privy to what discussions went on when she cut her hair. Maybe they were thinking of a change, maybe not.

JMO but I think TPTB got sick about  hearing of the movie career and Penny having no money. Kind of killed two birds with one stone.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1