The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

but for a role-model I would have thought Lesley Winkle was preferable in every respect.

I don't think she'd make a good role model/ She was almost as obnoxious and condescending as Sheldon!

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

Will have to be some kind of time jump if the Nobel is a go ahead. They don’t get announced until October, based on last year’s results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think TPTB or the writers really care about reality anymore. :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 6

On 1/24/2019 at 9:51 PM, vonmar said:

PENNY TRIES TO THROW A WRENCH INTO LEONARD’S PLAN TO BE A SPERM DONOR FOR HER EX-BOYFRIEND, ON “THE BIG BANG THEORY,” THURSDAY, FEB. 7

Penny tries to seduce an abstaining Leonard

What?? Now Penny can't get Leonard to have sex with her?? Is there no length the damn writers and showrunners won't go to in ripping up the Lenny canon and spitting in the faces of Lennies just for the sake of it?

3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

When they were doing a Girl Scout workshop for older girls on Media someone wanted to use some things from TBBT. I fought for them including Amy as a scientist and Mayim as a role model,

Did you include the Campus Rape Joke or the scene where Amy dresses as a schoolgirl to try to seduce Sheldon? In contrast, KC has never done anything to be ashamed of.

Edited by JohnPhD
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, chucky said:

I don't think she'd make a good role model/ She was almost as obnoxious and condescending as Sheldon!

And as promiscuous as Penny in her way. Neither is how most people would  want their girls to grow up. 

13 hours ago, Carlos said:

It is her body but his sperm, if we're talking on these terms. I think it is both their decision. Of course if Penny doesn't want to have kids, that forces Leonard's hand, I understand.

You choose your words well, sir.

11 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

And as promiscuous as Penny in her way. Neither is how most people would  want their girls to grow up. 

Lesley Winkle saw nothing wrong with having sex when she felt like it and did so without getting emotionally involved. Priya was like that to some extent. The early Penny was well established as someone who wasn't as detached as those 2 and couldn't help getting emotionally involved with some of the unsuitable men she had sex with. But when she fell in love with Leonard she cut out the casual sex even when they were broken up..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Sooooo true! All through high school and beyond, Penny was just one step ahead of a pregnancy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnPhD said:

What?? Now Penny can't get Leonard to have sex with her?? Is there no length the damn writers and showrunners won't go to in ripping up the Lenny canon and spitting in the faces of Lennies just for the sake of it?

He's trying to make an effort to help Zack and Marissa. I think it would be a good thing if they showed that he can resist her if he really wants to, making him appear less of a slave to his sexual urges like he sometimes seems to be and showing that Penny does not have unlimited power over him. 

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Did you include the Campus Rape Joke or the scene where Amy dresses as a schoolgirl to try to seduce Sheldon? In contrast, KC has never done anything to be ashamed of.

One thing she should have been ashamed of is that line in one episode where Raj is asking the girls  advice on dating Lucy.  She says "Being in a motel with a 34 yr old guy named Luther" which I thought was just deplorable as she was supposed to have been only 16-17 yrs old.  The writers just go overboard in depicting Penny as a promiscuous sleep around.  Never thought this was a funny line.

1 hour ago, JohnPhD said:

You choose your words well, sir.

Lesley Winkle saw nothing wrong with having sex when she felt like it and did so without getting emotionally involved. Priya was like that to some extent. The early Penny was well established as someone who wasn't as detached as those 2 and couldn't help getting emotionally involved with some of the unsuitable men she had sex with. But when she fell in love with Leonard she cut out the casual sex even when they were broken up..

Think this is true. They showed her only being with Zack during that period without Leonard

• Penny Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

One thing she should have been ashamed of is that line in one episode where Raj is asking the girls  advice on dating Lucy.  She says "Being in a motel with a 34 yr old guy named Luther" which I thought was just deplorable as she was supposed to have been only 16-17 yrs old.  The writers just go overboard in depicting Penny as a promiscuous sleep around.  Never thought this was a funny line.

Not the only line. How about the remark of ensuring all your clothes are back on before you exit the tunnel of love. There have been several lines where afterward she said she could laugh about it now. Not exactly my favorite lines by Penny!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Think this is true. They showed her only being with Zack during that period without Leonard

Why should Penny be ashamed of that ? More likely, Penny would have been a victim of the creepy 34 year old guy who took advantage of a teenager. That joke was horrible.  I also don't think there is anything wrong with Penny sleeping with many people when she was broken up with Leonard. Leonard immediately slept with dr Plimpton , priya, had a meaningless one night stand with a woman Howard set him up with and he actually cheated on two of his serious girlfriends.  I see a double standard in the show where Penny sleeping around is viewed much more negatively than Leonard doing the same. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

Why should Penny be ashamed of that ? More likely, Penny would have been a victim of the creepy 34 year old guy who took advantage of a teenager. That joke was horrible.  I also don't think there is anything wrong with Penny sleeping with many people when she was broken up with Leonard. Leonard immediately slept with dr Plimpton , priya, had a meaningless one night stand with a woman Howard set him up with and he actually cheated on two of his serious girlfriends.  I see a double standard in the show where Penny sleeping around is viewed much more negatively than Leonard doing the same. 

Well, she did go to the motel with the guy and as far as a double standard goes, all Leonard's dalliances were in the open and on screen. Penny's promiscuous is all in the writers depiction of her.  Why was that even necessary to include her sexual history and also to have Sheldon always shooting all those little jibes at her as well.   Just for laughs....they could of had better jokes IMO

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

As usual we disagree!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

That may have been true but the way she described it and the way the girls took certainly didn’t seem that way. If she had mentioned that she was taken advantage of  by the 34 year old guy I would agree with you. I don’t think the way she described it I wouldn’t of said anything. I don’t think it’s nevessarily a double standard. The perception of Lenny has always been right or wrong  of Leonard is lucky to get any girl to sleep with him and Penny  can’t get any guy to sleep with her.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

Leonard was as bad as Penny, I always thought. Howard was a creep with it, but made it clear he was looking for  'Mrs Wolowitz' nevertheless.  It's because we're answering points about good or bad examples for girls that we've referred to the women's pasts. It doesn't make the men's any better. For all we know, Leonard has picked up some nasty disease from one of his encounters and his sperm is no good anyway. If Penny's sudden anti-kids move is because she's just found out she has blocked tubes from an infection, she's as likely to have caught it from Leonard as from any of  his forerunners. 

• Run to India 1

2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

That may have been true but the way she described it and the way the girls took certainly didn’t seem that way. If she had mentioned that she was taken advantage of  by the 34 year old guy I would agree with you. I don’t think the way she described it I wouldn’t of said anything. I don’t think it’s nevessarily a double standard. The perception of Lenny has always been right or wrong  of Leonard is lucky to get any girl to sleep with him and Penny  can’t get any guy to sleep with her.

There was some level of consent implied but come on! She was a teenager and the guy was an adult! That's totally, absolutely, terribly, horrible disgusting! This show has had some unbelievably terrible jokes and this is one of them. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, bfm said:

There was some level of consent implied but come on! She was a teenager and the guy was an adult! That's totally, absolutely, terribly, horrible disgusting! This show has had some unbelievably terrible jokes and this is one of them. 

She was over the age of consent and from her own description of school activities, it wasn't the man double her age who took her virginity.

• Make a lot more sense than that 1

6 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

She was over the age of consent and from her own description of school activities, it wasn't the man double her age who took her virginity.

Doesn't make it any less disgusting and horrible. A teen is still a teen, a minor, whether 14 or 17, this is just awful. Sometimes it's hard to believe how far they'd go on this show.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

She was a little bit free and easy as a teenager!

6 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Sorry to disagree but the usual consenting age is 18 and she appeared to be still in high school, so under age for consent. Also, her sexual history is like I said it is from the writers ficticious mind

• Like 1

Teenagers tend to be more impulsive and less able to make think through their decisions*. The parts of the brain that are in charge of these functions are not fully developed yet. That is why they are not legally allowed to drink, get married, vote...

*I said tend, as compared to what will be later, not that teens can't make good decision or not be impulsive.

• Like 2

Just now, Mario D. said:

Sorry to disagree but the usual consenting age is 18 and she appeared to be still in high school, so under age for consent. Also, her sexual history is like I said it is from the writers ficticious mind

Consenting age 18 ?  Really ? Is that in Nebraska ? That seems silly in an era where sitcoms tell them the third date is for sex . There must be a heckuvalotta  lawbreaking going on. :)  Besides, aren't there states where the marriage age is 13 or 14 ? Sheldon said he could have got married in Texas at 16. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Yeah. Just like her eternally insinuated alcoholism. Any ordinary drunkard in a bar would laugh himself to death at this absurdity, but the bigoted moral apostles try to hold up their flags anyway. 🙄

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, veejay said:

Yeah. Just like her eternally insinuated alcoholism. Any ordinary drunkard in a bar would laugh himself to death at this absurdity, but the bigoted moral apostles try to hold up their flags anyway. 🙄

SOOOO DAMN TRUE!

14 minutes ago, bfm said:

Teenagers tend to be more impulsive and less able to make think through their decisions*. The parts of the brain that are in charge of these functions are not fully developed yet. That is why they are not legally allowed to drink, get married, vote...

*I said tend, as compared to what will be later, not that teens can't make good decision or not be impulsive.

Teenagers can legally drink, get married and vote. Not to mention drive and go to work, or join the armed forces and kill people. Apart from getting married and joining up, Penny had doubtless done everything else plus a few more things before  reaching whatever the voting age was where she lived, and could doubtless teach some full-grown adults a thing or two.