Jump to content

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread


Tensor
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

5 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I would not go so far as to say they do it to deliberately antagonize one portion of the fan base.

I would as they could care less about the fan base now as the end is probably near.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2018 at 9:23 PM, JE7 said:

Given the decline of the show the only reason I was still here was because the forum was still fun however it to has been on a slow but steady decline with many members from when I arrived leaving the site, the overall shamy centric flavor of the place has made it much less enjoyable than it was, and now that the chit chat thread has become simply a place to insult my country, my president, myself and 60 million of my countrymen I can no longer participate. 

I can only wonder what the next area of a person's private life will be open to forum approved ridicule, will it be religon, weight, age, race financial status or simply looks?

Because once allowed to denigrate any part of a  person's private life all parts of their private life becomes fair game for bashing by those within the echo chamber of group think. 

 

ob_ee2596_livelongandprospertbbt.gif

I've no idea what most of this refers to, but it's a real pity JE7 has left. He did his bit to counteract the "overall shamy centric flavor".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnPhD said:

I've no idea what most of this refers to, but it's a real pity JE7 has left. He did his bit to counteract the "overall shamy centric flavor".

True Dat! He's missed enormously. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

 

She really should have gotten that second opinion. I still think he has Asperger's. My youngest son has it and he loves Sheldon. He says Sheldon is like him. I know they will never say that and I know why, but I do believe he is written as an Aspie.

Under the current diagnostic manual he would be probably diagnosed ASD high functioning like many of those formerly diagnosed as Asperger's, since the Asperger's diagnosis doesn't exist anymore.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Under the current diagnostic manual he would be probably diagnosed ASD high functioning like many of those formerly diagnosed as Asperger's, since the Asperger's diagnosis doesn't exist anymore.

Well, I learn something new everyday. Thank you!

  • Thanks 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Under the current diagnostic manual he would be probably diagnosed ASD high functioning like many of those formerly diagnosed as Asperger's, since the Asperger's diagnosis doesn't exist anymore.

My youngest son is 30. So that's the terminology I use because it's what he and his friends were called Actually when he was little, they had to list him as autistic in order to get any services. So things are constantly changing in the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

My youngest son is 30. So that's the terminology I use because it's what he and his friends were called Actually when he was little, they had to list him as autistic in order to get any services. So things are constantly changing in the field.

Yes they are. I knew that's why you're using that terminology, this change happened in 2013. My post was merely informational.

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

That was true from the start of Shamy - one thing Sheldon liked about Amy was that she was a human doormat for him. That was quite IC for the Sheldon that had been established. But since Amy became sure of Sheldon there's been a qualitative change. While S says lovey-dovey slush to A that even the great JP can't make convincing, A has become pretty nasty to S, in public: "Play with your phone!"; "Go and sit on the stairs!"; "Put your hand up before speaking!". Not like a wife/lover - more like a particularly harsh mother. Which is somewhat sick.

Who'd be Sheldon.

Being Sheldon would be hard. 

The creatives have the fig leaf of “no diagnosis, he’s just Sheldon”. If it was conscious choice that he behaved badly, fine. He’s fair game. If he is real, then it’s tough. Like a tour of Bedlam. Better not to think about it too much, perhaps.  Maybe the show is exploitative. Still, Sheldon turns out to be  mostly victorious. Maybe that’s a compensation.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Still, Sheldon turns out to be  mostly victorious. 

Only in make believe land. In reality, he would have been beaten and left alone for the rest of his life.

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Being Sheldon would be hard. 

The creatives have the fig leaf of “no diagnosis, he’s just Sheldon”. If it was conscious choice that he behaved badly, fine. He’s fair game. If he is real, then it’s tough. Like a tour of Bedlam. Better not to think about it too much, perhaps.  Maybe the show is exploitative. Still, Sheldon turns out to be  mostly victorious. Maybe that’s a compensation.

The criticisms of Sheldon's behavior can be harsh.  Had the creators/writers diagnosed him they would have been harsher.  People would have had certain expectations that could have been impossible for them to pull off in a situation comedy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chucky said:

Only in make believe land. In reality, he would have been beaten and left alone for the rest of his life.

Lordy, I hope not.

I have sympathy for parents of atypical children, having my own.    But it is fiction. 

Go to the chit chat thread for discussions about what happens when someone with disorders and a built-in disregard for others gets very successful. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Lordy, I hope not.

I have sympathy for parents of atypical children, having my own.    But it is fiction. 

Go to the chit chat thread for discussions about what happens when someone with disorders and a built-in disregard for others gets very successful. :) 

I stay away from the chit chat thread. My comments aren't meant for the disorder, just the stupid way the writers have to let Sheldon have his way. It's ridiculous with what the gang let's him get away with.

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, chucky said:

I stay away from the chit chat thread. My comments aren't meant for the disorder, just the stupid way the writers have to let Sheldon have his way. It's ridiculous with what the gang let's him get away with.

It’s certainly nowhere near fair and balanced. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



The criticisms of Sheldon's behavior can be harsh.  Had the creators/writers diagnosed him they would have been harsher.  People would have had certain expectations that could have been impossible for them to pull off in a situation comedy.


I totally get where you are coming from, but as a tv show there are a lot of people, even kids who can relate to Sheldon and see themselves in him. By not diagnosing him, isn't that given a message his behaviour in real life is okay and the consequences of copying Sheldon's behaviour can give a negative opinion of people who are diagnosed. It's a tv show but to some it's more than that and will copy their heroes because if Sheldon can get away with it, so can they. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonstar17 said:

I totally get where you are coming from, but as a tv show there are a lot of people, even kids who can relate to Sheldon and see themselves in him. By not diagnosing him, isn't that given a message his behaviour in real life is okay and the consequences of copying Sheldon's behaviour can give a negative opinion of people who are diagnosed. It's a tv show but to some it's more than that and will copy their heroes because if Sheldon can get away with it, so can they. Just saying.

 

Hence <the parallels to> Trump. He’s got problems, hugely <and people do imitate him>. April got cross with me for that observation ,<that excusing bad behaviour because the badly behaving person meets other audience needs, while not acknowledging that villainy also  is present> , some time ago. hehe.

running away now 😁

Edited by Nogravitasatall
<extra> Ratbaggery - really, I will go now
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tonstar17 said:

I totally get where you are coming from, but as a tv show there are a lot of people, even kids who can relate to Sheldon and see themselves in him. By not diagnosing him, isn't that given a message his behaviour in real life is okay and the consequences of copying Sheldon's behaviour can give a negative opinion of people who are diagnosed. It's a tv show but to some it's more than that and will copy their heroes because if Sheldon can get away with it, so can they. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
 

 

If diagnosed, people who deal with people on the spectrum or live on the spectrum would have nit picked Sheldon to death.  From what I have read it is the messages...sometimes you can be the hero, sometimes you are going to get slapped down, you can have friends who support you but can get mad at you, you can have a career, fall in love get married.  Sheldon gets called on his s**t quite often.  If Sheldon is on the spectrum, they have never treated it as an excuse for his behavior.  And people/families/therapists use that as a tool.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If diagnosed, people who deal with people on the spectrum or live on the spectrum would have nit picked Sheldon to death.  From what I have read it is the messages...sometimes you can be the hero, sometimes you are going to get slapped down, you can have friends who support you but can get mad at you, you can have a career, fall in love get married.  Sheldon gets called on his s**t quite often.  If Sheldon is on the spectrum, they have never treated it as an excuse for his behavior.  And people/families/therapists use that as a tool.
Yeah I read that it is used as therapy, but what bits are used.? Probably not when he is a villain, because being a hero and only showing the good side of his character does not tell the whole story. Sheldon will never be diagnosed, but imo that is wrong and it is a way of tptb using people who relate to him as laughing stock at their conditions and gettng away with it in the name of comedy. It's not funny for me. It's a serious condition whatever he has and it not something to be laugh at. I guess not everyone see it that way, but I do. I know I slag off Sheldon a lot on here, but that's because he is not diagnosed and I think after all these years, him not learning is hard for me to swallow as comedy. All I see is manipulation. But good points on your post.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Yeah I read that it is used as therapy, but what bits are used.? Probably not when he is a villain, because being a hero and only showing the good side of his character does not tell the whole story. Sheldon will never be diagnosed, but imo that is wrong and it is a way of tptb using people who relate to him as laughing stock at their conditions and gettng away with it in the name of comedy. It's not funny for me. It's a serious condition whatever he has and it not something to be laugh at. I guess not everyone see it that way, but I do. I know I slag off Sheldon a lot on here, but that's because he is not diagnosed and I think after all these years, him not learning is hard for me to swallow as comedy. All I see is manipulation. But good points on your post.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
 

Well said!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, joyceraye said:

For wanting one, no, for having one, well, traditionally, yes. One or other of the Lenny partnership probably would have a disease by now if they were real. In fact they'd probably be passing several back and forth to each other.

What are you talking about? That they are bad men for having a healthy and diverse sex life? Really? I totally disagree. As long as both parties are willing and no party leads the other one under false pretenses I have absolutely no problem with them having as many sexual encounters as they can. I also cannot understand why you say that : "One or other of the Lenny partnership probably would have a disease by now if they were real". If Leonard was real do you think for a minute that he wouldn't use protection? That would take care of your disease angle, so I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Hence <the parallels to> Trump. He’s got problems, hugely <and people do imitate him>. April got cross with me for that observation ,<that excusing bad behaviour because the badly behaving person meets other audience needs, while not acknowledging that villainy also  is present> , some time ago. hehe.

running away now 😁

What in the world are you talking about?  I once got cross with you for bringing up some nonsense about the Handmaiden's Tale and misapplying your observations to Sheldon in the most OOC way ever. Like, I honestly don't care about you guys complaining all day and night cause at this point it's like white noise but seriously, nobody voted for Trump because of Sheldon. The only people on this forum who actually did are die hard Lenny fans and hate Sheldon for being such a terrible person. So how does that work out for your little theory?

  • Like 4
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, April said:

What in the world are you talking about?  I once got cross with you for bringing up some nonsense about the Handmaiden's Tale and misapplying your observations to Sheldon in the most OOC way ever. Like, I honestly don't care about you guys complaining all day and night cause at this point it's like white noise but seriously, nobody voted for Trump because of Sheldon. The only people on this forum who actually did are die hard Lenny fans and hate Sheldon for being such a terrible person. So how does that work out for your little theory?

Your comment is fair.

I never said it was a great theory. And you’re right. I hadn’t noticed that. The attitudes aren’t corellated at all. Thanks. I’ll park that one then. 

Edit: but maybe it’s the same phenomenon? But I’d said I’d park it. I just don’t understand either infatuation. Though one of them is harmless.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Your comment is fair.

I never said it was a great theory. And you’re right. I hadn’t noticed that. The attitudes aren’t corellated at all. Thanks. I’ll park that one then. 

Pridebringdowntheg.gif.eed430d938e5fd52017f292af521cc9e.gif

  • Haha 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, vonmar said:

If diagnosed, people who deal with people on the spectrum or live on the spectrum would have nit picked Sheldon to death.  From what I have read it is the messages...sometimes you can be the hero, sometimes you are going to get slapped down, you can have friends who support you but can get mad at you, you can have a career, fall in love get married.  Sheldon gets called on his s**t quite often.  If Sheldon is on the spectrum, they have never treated it as an excuse for his behavior.  And people/families/therapists use that as a tool.

I see what you're saying. I am not decided on the whether he should be diagnosed issue. I do want to say that there's not all that much to nitpick on with ASD as there may be with other conditions, since ASD is very, very heterogenous. Also, they already had Sheldon talk about his difficulties with understanding others (in a way that was practically saying he has one of the two symptom criteria), and there are already people complaining about the inconsistency of his misunderstandings.

In "The Middle" they had an interesting solution, they had the kid (and his girlfriend) say he has this and that section using just numbers and letters. So he has something but it wasn't specified.

7 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Yeah I read that it is used as therapy, but what bits are used.? 

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
 

Well you can never use a whole show but Sheldon can be a nice example for different symptoms. His schedule, resistance to change, trains, some misperceptions, different parts when he changes his behavior after he understands things better...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Carlos said:

What are you talking about?

Tradition, as I said.

That they are bad men

Terms like 'rake' used to apply to men who behaved like that.  No doubt in some places they still do. Not in sitcomland though.

for having a healthy and diverse sex life?

There's no such thing - I'm taking the phrase literally so that to me it's a contradiction in terms. Perhaps you mean it otherwise.

Really? I totally disagree. As long as both parties are willing and no party leads the other one under false pretenses I have absolutely no problem with them having as many sexual encounters as they can.

You can think that if you like. It seems to have become a commonplace view in some parts of the world in recent years. 

I also cannot understand why you say that : "One or other of the Lenny partnership probably would have a disease by now if they were real". If Leonard was real do you think for a minute that he wouldn't use protection? That would take care of your disease angle, so I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Penny had used several, according to her, pregnancy tests during her sexual relationship with Leonard, So either he  didn't use protection or wasn't very competent at using it. 

It's all moot anyway. I can't see TBBT making Lenny infertile because of STDs and we know they're all faithful husbands now, whatever their pasts were or weren't. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.