[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Tensor

From TV Insider

Will There Be a 'Big Bang Theory' Spinoff? Chuck Lorre on the Show's Ending, Penny's Intelligence & More

Creator/executive producer Chuck Lorre, executive producer Steve Holland, other producers, writers, directors and the cast of The Big Bang Theory are tasked with bringing the beloved series to a conclusion after a 12-year run.

Whether the gang scatters over the country to take new jobs or if they all end up sitting around Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny’s (Kaley Cuoco) apartment eating Chinese food yet is unknown, but we’re going to miss ‘em a great deal.

TV Insider recently visited the set to talk to speak to Lorre and Holland about the show’s upcoming finale, who we might be seeing again before TBBT concludes, what the turning point was in Sheldon (Jim Parsons) coming out of his shell, and a lot more. Read on to get their insights!

<full article in the link>

TBBT.jpg

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked up Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and found out he was a baseball player - or perhaps basketball - but I wonder if our gang will know who he is ? They'll know Shatner for sure and possibly the other two.

Kareem is one of the greats of US basketball but in the context of Will Wheaton and him playing D&D with him it may be his appearance as the ridiculously tall copilot in the 80s movie comedy Airplane ( or as it was known in Australia and other places “Flying High”, one of my all time favourite stupid comedies). William Shatner was in the movie sequel. Both of their characters were called Murdock! 

http://

4 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

Kareem is one of the greats of US basketball but in the context of Will Wheaton and him playing D&D with him it may be his appearance as the ridiculously tall copilot in the 80s movie comedy Airplane ( or as it was known in Australia and other places “Flying High”, one of my all time favourite stupid comedies). William Shatner was in the movie sequel. Both of their characters were called Murdock! 

Ha! I forgot Kareem was in Airplane!

11 hours ago, vonmar said:

<full article in the link>

Most of it is praising Jim as Sheldon. Nothing really that we haven't seen before in the rest either.

6 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

That's true.

13 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I suppose to viewers of the US TV system it's obvious. I wonder why it wasn't obvious to CBS sooner ? I'd have watched a season 13 or a spin off. If they are so worried why don't they just make series people will watch ? Living Biblically, for instance, although nothing like TBBT apart from a cast member or two, had potential in terms of an idea and had it been made well it could have had an audience.  

I liked Living Biblically, but it had a shelf-life. At best it could only sustain one or two (full) seasons with the premise before being repetitive.

18 hours ago, Swedish Chef said:

Really nice that we finally get some focus on Penny's work from the writers and it's awesome that she actually is successful in her work.

I have always felt they could have given Penny an episode about her work; whether it was with a client who took her sales pitch a little too seriously and she had to advise him she was married (could have been a funny scene) or winning a sales award and having to give a banquet speech and she would relate how she met the guys and falling in love with Leonard.  Just some thoughts.

49 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

I have always felt they could have given Penny an episode about her work; whether it was with a client who took her sales pitch a little too seriously and she had to advise him she was married (could have been a funny scene) or winning a sales award and having to give a banquet speech and she would relate how she met the guys and falling in love with Leonard.  Just some thoughts.

That happened with Billy Bob Thornton. Great episode!!

7 hours ago, Mario D. said:

The guys and Leonard would have nothing to do with her winning a sales award, and aside of perhaps thanking her husband for supporting her career, there would be no place for that at a company banquet. I'm sure no one at a sales banquet full of professional people would give a rat's ass how she met her husband. And these writers would undoubtedly have someone make a comment to Leonard about how he managed to wear her down or to Penny about how she settled for that guy. That's what they do.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

The guys and Leonard would have nothing to do with her winning a sales award, and aside of perhaps thanking her husband for supporting her career, there would be no place for that at a company banquet. I'm sure no one at a sales banquet full of professional people would give a rat's ass how she met her husband. And these writers would undoubtedly have someone make a comment to Leonard about how he managed to wear her down or to Penny about how she settled for that guy. That's what they do.

Indeed. It would have to be a totally different gathering for another purpose entirely. I'd hope she'd warn the others not to mention the 'he wore her down' joke. It's an old story worn thin and  we know it was a matter of 'she came to her senses in time' really. They've already done the 'customer misunderstood the sales pitch' plot but it's not unusual for them to repeat themselves.

3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I was thinking more in the line of how she came from Nebraska to California to be an actress and when that did not happen how she began work for Zangen.  This happens often at an awards banquet when someone receiving an award relates how they got there.  I would not interpret too much into this.

5 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I was thinking more in the line of how she came from Nebraska to California to be an actress and when that did not happen how she began work for Zangen.  This happens often at an awards banquet when someone receiving an award relates how they got there.  I would not interpret too much into this.

Truth be told she just fell into her sales job. Not much of a story in that.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, Mario D. said:

Thanks for the data  Guess you can see why CBS wanted to keep TBBT and be willing to have a spin-off.  Do you think that a Penny & Leonard spin-off would keep their numbers up?

I wouldn't watch...the show really needs everyone I think.

Edited by Sah

18 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

I liked Living Biblically, but it had a shelf-life. At best it could only sustain one or two (full) seasons with the premise before being repetitive.

I didn't dislike it. I watched all the episodes hoping they'd get better. They needn't have made the premise restrictive. Millions of people have lived biblically 24/7  for whole lifetimes. If they'd taken some care with the writing, putting in continuity and flow, and fleshing out the storylines they could have come up with something that lasted a reasonable time. 

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

I Think that logic applies for a Shamy spinoff too. But I agree. Although Young Sheldon I have not watched as found an audience. SO who knows. 

There won't be a Shamy spinoff, as it's Jim Parsons who wants to go back to Broadway and do other things than a weekly sitcom and especially not with the same character.

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I Think that logic applies for a Shamy spinoff too. But I agree. Although Young Sheldon I have not watched as found an audience. SO who knows. 

The show really does need everyone...Lenny, Shamy, Howardette, Rajanu and even Stunice. They all contribute to the greatness that is this show.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:09 AM, Sah said:

I wouldn't watch...the show really needs everyone I think.

I don't think so. It'd be a story about Leonard and Penny. The rest of the cast could make guests or cameo appearances, but wouldn't be needed in every episode like they do in TBBT. Sheldon wouldn't need to be there, he could just be mentioned. Stuart and Denise definitely are not needed. I would absolutely watch a Lenny spin off!

Edited by chucky