The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

It will NEVER be satisfying to all viewers. Nothing ever is. That is totally unrealistic as I see it. As for syndication, my prediction is that it will be watched years from now by people who didn't even watch it the last 12 years.

The criticisms are from engaged fans. No one will care about the last season again, except those who were invested.  The show ran 12 seasons. Lots of wear left in it. I’d possibly hazard any low-def seasons may have a shorter self life, but who knows. The pre-Amy seasons were, I think, funnier and less sentimental - but that’s just my opinion. 

However, looking at the last season, there are valid critiques to be made of the specific storylines, that matter for their creative merit. The L/P story line seems unnecessarily dramatic, even though it may give representation to reproductive choices that are totally valid. As well, under some belief systems, choosing to remain childless in an otherwise physically normal relationship is something like anathema. So I don’t think it’s a trivial topic. Throwing in a Batmobile as a resolution was just a juvenile treatment of something serious, and disappointing if you were following the L/P love story. Why they went there at all is a puzzle.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, margarete said:

something else, I have a strong feeling everyone from the cast moaning and being sad TBBT is coming to the end is sort of (un)concious side blow to jim parsons. just my feeling!

They would have all been sad whenever the show ended.  Jim had a right to decide to move on after 12 seasons. I don't think that there is any of the cast slights him for it.

• Like 6

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, Sah said:

For Sheldon? No. He has coveted the Nobel since day one. Not the girl. Leonard wanted Penny. Sheldon wanted the Nobel.

That's sad... for Amy, I mean.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

And people say Penny ‘s the trophy wife.

• Like 1
  • Run to India 1

1 minute ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I sure hope Sheldon doesn't win the Nobel. What has he done to deserve it? 

46 minutes ago, Carlos said:

He didn't know Amy until later in the series. He was all about physics then. Not Until much later did he realize how important she was to him. Now he has physics, Amy and most likely a Nobel coming his way. 

23 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Sheldon hasn't  done anything of great significant to deserve such a honor.  What has he achieved to deserve it? 

His current work in physics and Asymmetry. 

• Like 1
  • Koala Face 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

16 minutes ago, Sah said:

But for what exactly? What  has he done in that field to deserve it? Be more specific 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

But for what exactly? What  has he done in that field to deserve it? Be more specific 

The writers can't win on this one as it is a fictitious Nobel for fictitious work. I'd think there best bet with this would have been to treat Sheldon/Amy's paper with no detail at all. Have it be a phantom blowing in the wind. Mentioned but not named.

Edited by djsurrey
correction
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Fan servicing for Sheldon. Wooden spoon for Leonard. Right in the nads. Deliberately. By the woman he loves. TANJ. Unless there is a twist at the end. In which case, still BOO!, for going there.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

The writers can win on this one as it is a fictitious Nobel for fictitious work. I'd think there best bet with this would have been to treat Sheldon/Amy's paper with no detail at all. Have it be a phantom blowing in the wind. Mentioned but not named.

24 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Average people such as myself are not going on understand the science involved in this theory or correct path to a Nobel. What is important is that the writers are portraying this as a big deal. I am going with that...I am not looking for a real Nobel Prize in a fictional show. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Wooden spoon for Leonard. Right in the nads. Deliberately. By the woman he loves. 

I'd agree if you were talking about Series 03 Episode 19 – The Wheaton Recurrence.

4 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I'd agree if you were talking about Series 03 Episode 19 – The Wheaton Recurrence.

I don’t think you can’t compare season 3 to season 12. If there was no break up in season 3 we all wouldn’t be on this forum. Season 12 “wooden spoon” was very much IMO unnecessary.

58 minutes ago, Sah said:

He didn't know Amy until later in the series. He was all about physics then. Not Until much later did he realize how important she was to him. Now he has physics, Amy and most likely a Nobel coming his way. 

So physics for Leonard should be more important than Penny and engineering should be more important to Howard than Bernadette and the kids? It seems to me priorities change when you get older. maybe that’s just me.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I don’t think you can’t compare season 3 to season 12. If there was no break up in season 3 we all wouldn’t be on this forum. Season 12 “wooden spoon” was very much IMO unnecessary.

I may well have stopped watching because of the breakup but I gave it a bit more time and then got curious about Mayim Bialik being introduced to the show (having been a fan of beaches) and then Stephen Hawking also.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I may well have stopped watching because of the breakup but I gave it a bit more time and then got curious about Mayim Bialik being introduced to the show (having been a fan of beaches) and then Stephen Hawking also.

It is very common to break up a main couple somewhere along the show, when I saw that I knew they will get back together. Same for Shamy.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I sure hope Sheldon doesn't win the Nobel. What has he done to deserve it? 

The same thing that's always used as an excuse for him: He's Sheldon!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

i don't know if I could stomach Sheldon getting a massive victory in the series final lol. I Don't hate Sheldon. He is prob the most unique character in TV History. But I Always think about how he would be without Leonard and Pennys influence. Probably even more recluse then the pilot. Maybe even before the pilot. I Think the series final should not celebrate an extension of the Sheldon character. And shedding a light on that characters mission statement. Glorifying something like a Nobel Prize, in gaslighting the character of Sheldon somewhat. The writing might be the issue, it has declined alot. I just don't think people should expect too much from the series final. Same with the HIMYM finalie. Just because it is the finalie, does not guareentee a quality send off. 

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

It is very common to break up a main couple somewhere along the show, when I saw that I knew they will get back together. Same for Shamy.

Not in shows I watch.

I knew Shamy would get back together as M.B. had a contract. Penny was across the hall so she had a reason to be around even when not with Lenard. Amy could not last so long if not with Sheldon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

i don't know if I could stomach Sheldon getting a massive victory in the series final lol. I Don't hate Sheldon. He is prob the most unique character in TV History. But I Always think about how he would be without Leonard and Pennys influence. Probably even more recluse then the pilot. Maybe even before the pilot. I Think the series final should not celebrate an extension of the Sheldon character. And shedding a light on that characters mission statement. Glorifying something like a Nobel Prize, in gaslighting the character of Sheldon somewhat. The writing might be the issue, it has declined alot. I just don't think people should expect too much from the series final. Same with the HIMYM finalie. Just because it is the finalie, does not guareentee a quality send off. 

Your words are very true. In TBBT they needed Sheldon's character as a catalyst for many episodes, but in so doing let him skate off without any form of reprimand or resolution to his actions. To simply say "Oh he doesn't mean it" or its "Sheldon being Sheldon" wasn't enough. There were many times he should have got his comeuppance but didn't. And now to have him win  a Nobel Prize would make him unbearable with his friends. As Leonard once said "Sheldon is a sore loser and also a sore winner" To have him gain such an accolade and probably never acknowledge his friends, especially Leonard and Penny, who practically raised him to an adult would be a final kick in the gut if Lenny and the rest of the gang does not have a happy ending. I also agree with you on the writing aspect. It seems they can only write stories for Sheldon/Shamy and for the others only conflict and drama.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

can‘t agree more

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Totally, 100 percent agreed!

1 hour ago, Mario D. said:

Your words are very true. In TBBT they needed Sheldon's character as a catalyst for many episodes, but in so doing let him skate off without any form of reprimand or resolution to his actions. To simply say "Oh he doesn't mean it" or its "Sheldon being Sheldon" wasn't enough. There were many times he should have got his comeuppance but didn't. And now to have him win  a Nobel Prize would make him unbearable with his friends. As Leonard once said "Sheldon is a sore loser and also a sore winner" To have him gain such an accolade and probably never acknowledge his friends, especially Leonard and Penny, who practically raised him to an adult would be a final kick in the gut if Lenny and the rest of the gang does not have a happy ending. I also agree with you on the writing aspect. It seems they can only write stories for Sheldon/Shamy and for the others only conflict and drama.

They've changed Sheldon so much that the only way I recognize him is by his condescending ass attitude!

• Like 3

I always thought Sheldon was a bit young to win a Nobel Prize, but I am wrong.  Do we know an approximate age for Sheldon?  Jim will be 46 later this month.  I thought Sheldon was a bit younger 42 or 43?  Anyway, the average age of Nobel Laureates in Physics is 55.  The age bracket with the most frequent winners is 45-49 with 30.  Next is 60-64 with 26.  40-44, 50-54 and 55-59 all come in with 25 award winners.  So whatever Sheldon's actual age he is right there with a greater number of winners.  It was interesting looking at average ages.  Peace Prize winners were the oldest at 80. Economics was next at 67 and Literature at 65.  Physics in fact had the youngest average age.  Again, very interesting (btw, these stats were from 1901-2016).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I always thought Sheldon was a bit young to win a Nobel Prize, but I am wrong.  Do we know an approximate age for Sheldon?  Jim will be 46 later this month.  I thought Sheldon was a bit younger 42 or 43?  Anyway, the average age of Nobel Laureates in Physics is 55.  The age bracket with the most frequent winners is 45-49 with 30.  Next is 60-64 with 26.  40-44, 50-54 and 55-59 all come in with 25 award winners.  So whatever Sheldon's actual age he is right there with a greater number of winners.  It was interesting looking at average ages.  Peace Prize winners were the oldest at 80. Economics was next at 67 and Literature at 65.  Physics in fact had the youngest average age.  Again, very interesting (btw, these stats were from 1901-2016).

Sheldon  was born in 1980.  I agree being to young is another problem I have with Sheldon getting a Nobel. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Sheldon  was born in 1981.  I agree being to young is another problem I have with Sheldon getting a Nobel. 

Ah!  The age bracket of 35-39 has 16 winners.  Tied with the 65-69 bracket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So... people are saying...

/out

Regarding Sheldon. It’s obviously a fictional universe. They can do what they want. A big call like giving him a science Nobel just emphasises how contrived the whole enterprise is. It’s just a simulacrum of reality. They may as well make him fly. Or have a sex drive. Oh, wait.

Well I give you that. Good point this is a fictional TV Show so it doesn't necessarily have to follow real life.   Maybe the show will flash forward 30 years and Leoanrd will be President

• Like 1
  • Haha 1