The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

So... people are saying...

/out

Regarding Sheldon. It’s obviously a fictional universe. They can do what they want. A big call like giving him a science Nobel just emphasises how contrived the whole enterprise is. It’s just a simulacrum of reality. They may as well make him fly. Or have a sex drive. Oh, wait.

Well I give you that. Good point this is a fictional TV Show so it doesn't necessarily have to follow real life.   Maybe the show will flash forward 30 years and Leoanrd will be President

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Sheldon  was born in 1980.  I agree being to young is another problem I have with Sheldon getting a Nobel. 

The thing is they can turn this ending into a happy one IMO for everyone. It’s decided that the three that can be nominated for the award would be the Fermilab guys and Sheldon. Amy tells him it’s okay you have been waiting for this along time. Sheldon has a hard time deciding. Sheldon asks Penny and Leonard for their advice and they tell them you have to decide how important the Nobel Prize really is to him. After much thought he decides he doesn’t want to be part of the nomination if it can’t be with Amy. Sheldon looks like a hero to his fans and the rest of us don’t need to see him winning. In a twist we don’t see coming assymetry doesn’t win anyways.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Run to India 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The thing is they can turn this ending into a happy one IMO for everyone. It’s decided that the three that can be nominated for the award would be the Fermilab guys and Sheldon. Amy tells him it’s okay you have been waiting for this along time. Sheldon has a hard time deciding. Sheldon asks Penny and Leonard for their advice and they tell them you have to decide how important the Nobel Prize really is to him. After much thought he decides he doesn’t want to be part of the nomination if it can’t be with Amy. Sheldon looks like a hero to his fans and the rest of us don’t need to see him winning. In a twist we don’t see coming assymetry doesn’t win anyways.

I still think they could all lose to someone else. The Fermilab guys and the infighting gave them an opening for that.

• Like 2

The discussion about the Nobel Prizes, and the discussion of how other shows ended, have been moved to the Chit Chat thread.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I still think they could all lose to someone else. The Fermilab guys and the infighting gave them an opening for that.

True. But I’m guessing some may not be happy with that outcome 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

True. But I’m guessing some may not be happy with that outcome 

I still think there's nothing they can do that will make EVERYONE happy. It's just not possible.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I still think there's nothing they can do that will make EVERYONE happy. It's just not possible.

Exactly. You can never make everyone happy all the time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Wholeheartedly agree!

• Like 1
  • Run to India 1

2 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Exactly. You can never make everyone happy all the time. 

You don’t have to. But at certain points of time you can.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, Sah said:

1) He didn't know Amy until later in the series. He was all about physics then. Not Until much later did he realize how important she was to him. Now he has physics, Amy and most likely a Nobel coming his way. 

2) His current work in physics and Asymmetry. 

1) For me it's sad because she should be the most important thing, and if she is she should have changed him enough that he'd recognize it and assume it (JMO).

2) I don't know enough about science to say so, but according to Tensor Asymmetry would never get a Nobel for Physics because it's not even real science.

24 minutes ago, Carlos said:

1) For me it's sad because she should be the most important thing, and if she is she should have changed him enough that he'd recognize it and assume it (JMO).

2) I don't know enough about science to say so, but according to Tensor Asymmetry would never get a Nobel for Physics because it's not even real science.

Amy IS the most important thing to him now. He knows how much she contribute to their project and has requested her name be on the nomination as well. As it should be. He was upset with the possibility of her not being on the nomination form. He should not be expected to give up his professional dream of winning a Nobel. 

This is a fictional show. I give them some leeway with the science stuff. I am not expecting real science on a Nobel level. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sah said:

Amy IS the most important thing to him now. He knows how much she contribute to their project and has requested her name be on the nomination as well. As it should be. He was upset with the possibility of her not being on the nomination form. He should not be expected to give up his professional dream of winning a Nobel. 

This is a fictional show. I give them some leeway with the science stuff. I am not expecting real science on a Nobel level. 

You’ve provoked a thought. To put Sheldon in line for a Nobel requires a pretty high bar for suspension of disbelief. We’ve all wondered about the elevator, how Sheldon hasn’t been assaulted at least once, how Penny managed to overcome her inclinations and fall for Leonard, how Leonard and Penny put up with living with Sheldon, how Leonard put up with Penny when she put up with Sheldon when really they should have fled together if she loved him and wanted a healthy relationship, how Sheldon went from asexual to panting pants man, and now they expect us to swallow that he is in contention for a Nobel. It’s not just with the science that they have asked for leeway.  

These guys are good.

• Like 5
  • Run to India 1

I've never figured out why Amy would want to take on a life time baby sitting job with sheldon

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've never figured out why Amy would want to take on a life time baby sitting job with sheldon

You don’t have to. Let’s be honest, Penny is the only one not married to a man child, just a man with insecurities. Bernadette is portrayed as pretty much looking after a big kid in many episodes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Run to India 1

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

And she (Amy) should know how important it is to her husband to win a Nobel.

As for the science, well, it can't be real because a REAL scientist would have to have come up with it. They would not want it recorded forever that Sheldon Cooper won a Nobel for their life's work. For a sitcom, it has to be a made up theory that "could be possible, if.....".

• Run to India 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sah said:

We just had an episode where Sheldon was willing to give up the Nobel Nomination if Siebert wasn't willing to put Amy on it. Faced with the decision between Amy and a (possible) Nobel he chose Amy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sah said:

So what if it is fictional.  They've pushed the idea for the last eleven years that they tried their hardest to get the science right in this fictional show.  Now they go completely the other way, and come up with an idea that isn't even valid or viable, and they may award a Nobel for that?  That's not some leeway, that's an almost infinite amount of leeway.   Or, are you saying it was a mistake to spend the last eleven years pushing the idea that were serious about getting it right? 

The only reason they went with super-asymmetry is there weren't any papers that could disprove it.  Of course, there aren't any that can validate it either (there's also a lot of very good reasoning for supposing it is simply wrong).   Just another indication that the writing level on the show has fallen.  

I know, I know, they  can use super-asymmetry to discover unobtainium, and make all of them rich, for the end of the show.  After all, if they can get a little leeway, and give out a fake Noble,  they could use a little leeway. and discover an element that doesn't and can't exist in nature, right?   

• Like 8

It's funny how the power not to be (that's what I call them now)can make up a fake Nobel for Sheldon and ppls are fine with it because it's a sitcom and not real, no one will get upset, so the excuses for him is justified. NOT. But lenny cannot change their minds about having a baby because you know, its real and a lot of non lenny fans will be upset and real people who want to be childless really care about how lenny are portrayed in a sitcom. Oh wait, it's a drama/soap opera when it comes to lenny. My bad Double standard me think. On the bright side it refreshing knowing a lot of fans look up to lenny and they influence their llves. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tensor said:

So what if it is fictional.  They've pushed the idea for the last eleven years that they tried their hardest to get the science right in this fictional show.  Now they go completely the other way, and come up with an idea that isn't even valid or viable, and they may award a Nobel for that?  That's not some leeway, that's an almost infinite amount of leeway.   Or, are you saying it was a mistake to spend the last eleven years pushing the idea that were serious about getting it right? 

The only reason they went with super-asymmetry is there weren't any papers that could disprove it.  Of course, there aren't any that can validate it either (there's also a lot of very good reasoning for supposing it is simply wrong).   Just another indication that the writing level on the show has fallen.  

I know, I know, they  can use super-asymmetry to discover unobtainium, and make all of them rich, for the end of the show.  After all, if they can get a little leeway, and give out a fake Noble,  they could use a little leeway. and discover an element that doesn't and can't exist in nature, right?   

It’s now a sci-fi rom-com. And not a good example of one - because the sci-fi is banal (give us some cavorite please Sheldon, go big!) and the romance sucks (see the latter day progress and likely outcome for Leonard and Penny).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

It’s now a sci-fi rom-com. And not a good example of one - because the sci-fi is banal (give us some cavorite please Sheldon, go big!) and the romance sucks (see the latter day progress and likely outcome for Leonard and Penny).

Don’t worry. See, the whiteboard was always justified.

tbss2.gif.89f62fbeba9c30f737154961e713cbcb.gif

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, chucky said:

interesting

yes, I had no clue they hold preproduction meetings on the stage

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, legacy99 said:

I've never figured out why Amy would want to take on a life time baby sitting job with Sheldon

The short answer is, she's crackers as well. Even so,there was a time when she wasn't sure. Her misgivings were overcome when she realised how much she missed playing daft games. It sounded as though the alternatives were no fun. The only other men we ever saw who were on Amy's intellectual level were Bert whom she didn't want, Dave who might or might not have appealed to her given time, and Kripke. Not that there couldn't have been other brainy men whom we didn't meet, but it seems better was boring. Also,as Leonard recently pointed out in case we'd forgotten, she's nuts herself but it's not so noticeable when she's with Sheldon. She wants a man and possibly only Sheldon would want her long-term.

Edited by joyceraye
Changing punctuation to clarify meaning.
  • Like 4