The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

32 minutes ago, Sah said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this topic...I will always believe that Sheldon is capable of being a loving person as evidenced by his growth and love of Amy.

Amy is truly his soulmate. He adores his Meemaw and he loves his family.  I believe, that in his own way he loves his friends.

33 minutes ago, Sah said:

It does suck to be to be pretty much the only Sheldon fan left on this forum though. Where did they all go?  (Deep Sigh). It is actually fun to find common ground and chat with a fellow fan. 

I'm still here! :drinks:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sah said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this topic...I will always believe that Sheldon is capable of being a loving person as evidenced by his growth and love of Amy. And that's fine. I respect your opinion as much as I disagree with it.

I was just going by what he said last night.   He didn’t want to go see the kids at all, until Amy took him to the bookstore, and got the book about experimenting on them.  Sheldon loves experimenting more than kids. 

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I was just going by what he said last night.   He didn’t want to go see the kids at all, until Amy took him to the bookstore, and got the book about experimenting on them.  Sheldon loves experimenting more than kids. 

Sheldon was very in character in the episode.  Exposure to new things, propelled by someone who loves him. Opening him up to changes in his life.

We've seen this happen with all of the couples. 

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I believe, that in his own way he loves his friends.

He tolerates them!

• Like 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

I know a lot don’t watch Young Sheldon and some refuse to accept it as part of BBT canon but it’s interesting that Holland ( my interpretation ) in the Radloff interview intimated that the episode of YS that revealed he and Amy had kids in the future influenced their thinking for the BBT ending
“I can't answer this exactly, but I will say that having that revealed on Young Sheldon was a big moment for our series. I think it's part of our journey to end Sheldon in a spot where that future is possible."

With that in my mind, I find it interesting to compare the Dad Sheldon Cooper describes throughout BBT and the Dad he is recalling in YS as the Narrator of that show. We focus on how much Beverley inspires his ideas on parenting and how important Mary has been seen in BBT but in YS George Cooper is an underrated influence in Sheldons life and may be more of a role model for how Sheldon sees fatherhood in the future than we think. The BBT writers even tried to convince us about George in the crossover episode when Sheldon sort of realised when he saw the video that Dad wasn’t all bad. He’s actually a decent dad in YS and since Sheldon is telling the story it is basically rewriting the canon of Sheldon’s past through his own storytelling.

Now for those who hate YS and refuse to accept its rewriting of history, this will mean absolutely nothing but for me, who quite enjoys the show, I’ll be interested now that Holland has made that comment whether Sheldon talks about his dad in a different light as he considers fatherhood at the end of Big Bang Theory. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

Sheldon was very in character in the episode.  Exposure to new things, propelled by someone who loves him. Opening him up to changes in his life.

We saw it differently. That's OK though!

• Like 1

He tolerates them!

I think overall it’s more than that now. Early Sheldon absolutely just tolerated them but Later Sheldon has done enough between his canon BS actions that he loves his friends in his own way.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, chucky said:

We saw it differently. That's OK though!

Agreed, but....

If that story line had been about Leonard exposing Penny to how delightful babies can be, would you feel different?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

Now for those who hate YS and refuse to accept its rewriting of history, this will mean absolutely nothing but for me, who quite enjoys the show, I’ll be interested now that Holland has made that comment whether Sheldon talks about his dad in a different light as he considers fatherhood at the end of Big Bang Theory. Food for thought.

I'm not interested all. Haven't watched any "YS" other than commercials. Even then, when they came on, I went to the restroom! I totally avoid that show! I'm glad you like it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

I know a lot don’t watch Young Sheldon and some refuse to accept it as part of BBT canon but it’s interesting that Holland ( my interpretation ) in the Radloff interview intimated that the episode of YS that revealed he and Amy had kids in the future influenced their thinking for the BBT ending
“I can't answer this exactly, but I will say that having that revealed on Young Sheldon was a big moment for our series. I think it's part of our journey to end Sheldon in a spot where that future is possible."

With that in my mind, I find it interesting to compare the Dad Sheldon Cooper describes throughout BBT and the Dad he is recalling in YS as the Narrator of that show. We focus on how much Beverley inspires his ideas on parenting and how important Mary has been seen in BBT but in YS George Cooper is an underrated influence in Sheldons life and may be more of a role model for how Sheldon sees fatherhood in the future than we think. The BBT writers even tried to convince us about George in the crossover episode when Sheldon sort of realised when he saw the video that Dad wasn’t all bad. He’s actually a decent dad in YS and since Sheldon is telling the story it is basically rewriting the canon of Sheldon’s past through his own storytelling.

Sheldon in many ways grew up a lot later than the rest of the gang. Realising that your parents weren't as dim and dense as you thought they were at the time is part of growing up. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

I think overall it’s more than that now. Early Sheldon absolutely just tolerated them but Later Sheldon has done enough between his canon BS actions that he loves his friends in his own way.

Then we see it differently! To me he's still the condescending ass he's always been!

• Like 1

I'm not interested all. Haven't watched any "YS" other than commercials. Even then, when they came on, I went to the restroom! I totally avoid that show! I'm glad you like it!

Yep, well aware of that, chucky. Had you in mind when I was writing the post. You’ve made that clear since YS started. And you’re entitled to that opinion

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Agreed, but....

If that story line had been about Leonard exposing Penny to how delightful babies can be, would you feel different?

Penny hasn't been anti-babies per se, so it wouldn't work. 

• Like 2

Then we see it differently! To me he's still the condescending ass he's always been!

We agree on the condescending ass. That is still apparent. But my family is full of condescending asses ( me included ) who still love each other. Just hard to see sometimes.

Not trying to change your mind though because you have been very consistent with your opinions over the years, as is your right.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, joyceraye said:

Penny hasn't been anti-babies per se, so it wouldn't work. 

Currently Penny doesn't want babies in her life.  So (imho) yes it could might have.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Agreed, but...

Leonard doesn't act that way. He more mature than Sheldon. So your question is moot. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vonmar said:

My comment was based on the following, after saying he would be more like Beverly, than Mary, as a parent. 

He seemed to have a great time with Howardetts kids. Changing diapers, bathing, playing with them, engaging with them wanted to come back and do it again.

I was just pointing out the only reason he was having such a great time himself was because of the experimentation, that’s it.  He wanted nothing to do with the kids until experimentation was mentioned.  He only wanted to continue, because of the experimentation.  And obviously he doesnt like kids, on their own, so the wife that loves him so much, and wants kids, has to trick him into interacting with kids.

• Like 6

Agreed, but....

Sheldon has often expressed displeasure with babies. Penny hasn’t. She just doesn’t want to have her own. Happy to be cool Aunt Penny without the pregnancy and giving birth and probably the 24/7 mother commitment. Babies are always delightful when you can hand them back and get access to them without the pain and struggle. I loved the raising kids bit when I was watching and helping my kids grow up and have been teaching young kids for 30+ years but now at my age I’m more loving the temporary attachment to my nephews’, nieces’ and younger colleagues’ babies. I think that is where Penny is at. Sheldon on the other hand hasn’t even wanted to touch kids until last night.

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Itwasdestined said:

Sheldon has often expressed displeasure with babies. Penny hasn’t. She just doesn’t want to have her own. Happy to be cool Aunt Penny without the pregnancy and giving birth and probably the 24/7 mother commitment. Babies are always delightful when you can hand them back and get access to them without the pain and struggle. I loved the raising kids bit when I was watching and helping my kids grow up and have been teaching young kids for 30+ years but now at my age I’m more loving the temporary attachment to my nephews’, nieces’ and younger colleagues’ babies. I think that is where Penny is at. Sheldon on the other hand hasn’t even wanted to touch kids until last night.

I believe he only touched them was due to the experiments. More than likely used Purell afterward!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Currently Penny doesn't want babies in her life.  So (imho) yes it could might have.

Penny Seems not to mind other people's babies. She's always been OK with Halley around and has promised Amy she'll be cool Aunt Penny. She may be one of those adults who finds babies delightful for an hour or two but thinks the joy is in handing them back when the parents come for them. Whether she'll one day become broody after a happy day with the Wolowitz or Cooper offspring is up to the writers.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Penny is younger than the others too. ( I think - never sure about Bernie’s age but I’m under the impression that Amy is close to Sheldon’s age and we know the guys are much older than Penny from the start of the show). She may change her perception later on ( and Amy might be trying to advance her own cause because of her age ). As a teacher in a profession surrounded by women of every age I’ve worked with a lot of Penny types who had no interest in motherhood around her age and some have changed later on. Of course, this a sitcom with writers sounding determined to stick with this no kids for Lenny thing, not a staff room full of real women so who knows what the last 7 eps will reveal.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chucky said:

I 100% agree!

In some ways he is different, but he still considers Beverly's ways of child rearing is better than his mother. Although he loves his mom, he still prefers Beverly's opinion's on all aspects of life! That's just my opinion!

When Beverly asked him about upbringing he did say his mother used to make him spaghetti and hotdogs  which was just as beneficial to him as Beverly's way.  He still thinks he turned out all right anyway.

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

Opening him up to changes in his life.

Nope just tricked by Amy by doing experiments on kids!

4 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

When Beverly asked him about upbringing he did say his mother used to make him spaghetti and hotdogs  which was just as beneficial to him as Beverly's way.  He still thinks he turned out all right anyway.

He liked her making his favorite meals. He considered Beverly's way of raising kids were the right way!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chucky said:

Nope just tricked by Amy by doing experiments on kids!

That's not how I see it, but that's okay. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sah said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this topic...I will always believe that Sheldon is capable of being a loving person as evidenced by his growth and love of Amy. And that's fine. I respect your opinion as much as I disagree with it. 

It does suck to be to be pretty much the only Sheldon fan left on this forum though. Where did they all go?  (Deep Sigh). It is actually fun to find common ground and chat with a fellow fan. 

Oh well...

Perhaps there will be a flash forward in the finale and it will prove my point. But even seeing it acted out would not likely change opinions. And same with me. 

I love Sheldon, too and believe he is capable of love. I know many people who aren't crazy about kids but their own

• Like 2