The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, vonmar said:

Agreed, but....

If that story line had been about Leonard exposing Penny to how delightful babies can be, would you feel different?

I agree 100%. Great question to ask. 

4 hours ago, vonmar said:

Amy is truly his soulmate. He adores his Meemaw and he loves his family.  I believe, that in his own way he loves his friends.

I'm still here! :drinks:

He really does love them. He loves his friends as well. 

Edited by Sah
  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

Agreed, but....

If that story line had been about Leonard exposing Penny to how delightful babies can be, would you feel different?

I’d like to weigh on this one. People were commenting on this thread about Penny had the right not to have kids. But it seems to me Amy is doing no different  and is tricking him into wanting Kids in this episode and people are okay with this. 

As to your question JMO IDK but people tend to look at their favorites differently.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I’d like to weigh on this one. People were commenting on this thread about Penny had the right not to have kids. But it seems to me Amy is doing no different  and is tricking him into wanting Kids in this episode and people are okay with this. 

But Sheldon wants kids. It's been stated many times before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tensor said:

I was just going by what he said last night.   He didn’t want to go see the kids at all, until Amy took him to the bookstore, and got the book about experimenting on them.  Sheldon loves experimenting more than kids. 

All the characters were involved in the experimenting and even said it was more like playing games with them...even Leonard.  Must be horrifying having a parent give you a bath and play with a rubber duck. How horrifying to want to take kids to the park or tuck them in at night. What kind of parent would want to play games and interact with their kid?  I think of train rides, legos, super heroes, the zoo, launching rockets, building train sets,movies and board games to name a few of things that Sheldon would be delighted to do with a kid. 

3 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Truth...

• Like 6
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Well then the question “Why?” needs to be clearly answered just as much “Why not?” with Penny. I’m happy if both are answered by the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Truth...
Those are good things but a child needs a adult parent more than a playmate

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

My point was is that he would enjoy his kids. Not want nothing to do with them. He has Amy as well. Where one parent is weaker the other makes up for it. They would be a parenting team. He would figure it out with Amy, Mary, Meemaw and even his friends. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I agree. I don't think Sheldon will be a traditional father. He will probably end up delegating most of the discipline to Amy or hire a Nanny.   

Sheldon had fun experimenting  with Howardette Kids not playing with them. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, vonmar said:

Amy is truly his soulmate. He adores his Meemaw and he loves his family.  I believe, that in his own way he loves his friends.

I'm still here! :drinks:

Thank God :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vonmar said:

But like in this episode and others he wants them in multiples like triplets or quints. Some of us are not going to take what he says seriously 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I agree. I don't think Sheldon will be a traditional father. He will probably end up delegating most of the discipline to Amy or hire a Nanny.   Sheldon had fun experimenting on them not playing with them. 

Well then Leonard, Raj,Howard and Sheldon will all be horrible fathers. They all had a great time with the Walowitz kids.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sah said:

All the characters were involved in the experimenting and even said it was more like playing games with them...even Leonard.  Must be horrifying having a parent give you a bath and play with a rubber duck. How horrifying to want to take kids to the park or tuck them in at night. What kind of parent would want to play games and interact with their kid?  I think of train rides, legos, super heroes, the zoo, launching rockets, building train sets,movies and board games to name a few of things that Sheldon would be delighted to do with a kid. 

Truth...

The thing is the experimenting subject came up because of Amy IMO to convince Sheldon of wanting kids.

1 minute ago, Sah said:

Well then Leonard, Raj,Howard and Sheldon will all be horrible fathers. They all had a great time with the Walowitz kids.

It’s easy to be great with kids if you are free to leave.

1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

But like in this episode and others he wants them in multiples like triplets or quints. Some of us are not going to take what he says seriously 

Until Amy convinces him otherwise.  But he wants to have children, that is a fact.  Sheldon's thought processes can tend to be exaggerated until he is reined in.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sah said:

I know you don't watch the actual episodes but if you did you would know that is not the case....they have discussed this numerous times.

I do watch the episodes  so what was the point of Amy getting the experiment book?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sah said:

Yes,  everyone else went without having to be tricked into it. Sheldon only went to do the experiments.  Ask Leonard how horrifying it is to have a parent do that only because they are doing an experiment on them.  I didn’t see anything from Thursday to indicate Sheldon was there for any other reason than to perform experiments on the kids.  What did you see that indicated otherwise?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chrismo said:

I do watch the episodes  so what was the point of Amy getting the experiment book?

To help speed it along. I think she is ready for the said kids and wanted to spur him into action sooner then later. He often needs a little nudge to take the next step.

• Like 2
  • Run to India 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

2 minutes ago, Sah said:

To help speed it along. I think she is ready for the said kids and wanted to spur him into action sooner then later. He often needs a little nudge to take the next step.

But if he wants kids why does he need to be “nudged ”? And if she wants kids why doesn’t she just tell him?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sah said:

That was the first time we saw the guys in direct contact with the kids. The reason (experimenting with babies) was clearly named. The only person (Raj and Stuart as sitters leave aside) who was visibly involved as a parent substitute was ironically Penny (S11/EP6). 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think Sheldon will have good intentions as a parent and love his children. Nevertheless, it will be a challenge and he will need help. Sheldon is not good at seeing others' perspectives, understanding their views and feelings are different than is and that that doesn't mean they're wrong, etc. He will probably also have trouble recognizing his children's "weaknesses", as he does his own. Overall I think he will be an okay parent, hopefully he will have others to help "tune" him when needed.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

I think Sheldon will have good intentions as a parent and love his children. Nevertheless, it will be a challenge and he will need help. Sheldon is not good at seeing others' perspectives, understanding their views and feelings are different than is and that that doesn't mean they're wrong, etc. He will probably also have trouble recognizing his children's "weaknesses", as he does his own. Overall I think he will be an okay parent, hopefully he will have others to help "tune" him when needed.

True. Don't forget the children agreement! :sungum:

• Like 1

Just forgot to watch this week. 
Sounds like I did not miss much. Will possibly watch on demand today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chrismo said:

But if he wants kids why does he need to be “nudged ”? And if she wants kids why doesn’t she just tell him?

Because she doesn't want to be the only one doing all the caring for the next five years would be my suggestion. At least if he doesn't make himself scarce every time they're 'loud and sticky' and leave all the work to her when his kids are babies it will make her life easier.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

I think overall it’s more than that now. Early Sheldon absolutely just tolerated them but Later Sheldon has done enough between his canon BS actions that he loves his friends in his own way.

It is true Sheldon has evolved into a somewhat tolerable human being.  But you just cannot discount his still condescending attitude, his unsupportive credit to his friend accomplishments, his immeasurable insults to Howard and Penny, and his thinking that Leonard is his best friend while doing unspeakable acts to him i.g....the diabolical sweater fiasco, the extortion of Priya's dissection of the RA, the incomprehensible secret of not telling Leonard and Penny that he attended Leonard's mothers birthday party.  All these things just add up to an evolved person but not yet an adult.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

It is true Sheldon has evolved into a somewhat tolerable human being.  But you just cannot discount his still condescending attitude, his unsupportive credit to his friend accomplishments, his immeasurable insults to Howard and Penny, and his thinking that Leonard is his best friend while doing unspeakable acts to him i.g....the diabolical sweater fiasco, the extortion of Priya's dissection of the RA, the incomprehensible secret of not telling Leonard and Penny that he attended Leonard's mothers birthday party.  All these things just add up to an evolved person but not yet an adult.

Those things all happened years ago. People can leave their phobias, compulsions and attitudes behind as they  mature or undergo changes. Were that not true,  psychiatrists, counsellors and similar professionals would have no customers. Sheldon may have improved even further had he undertaken treatment. As he is now, he retains some of that old way of thinking but he's mellowing. 

Edited by joyceraye
adding comma for clarity
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

Penny is younger than the others too. ( I think - never sure about Bernie’s age but I’m under the impression that Amy is close to Sheldon’s age and we know the guys are much older than Penny from the start of the show). She may change her perception later on ( and Amy might be trying to advance her own cause because of her age ). As a teacher in a profession surrounded by women of every age I’ve worked with a lot of Penny types who had no interest in motherhood around her age and some have changed later on. Of course, this a sitcom with writers sounding determined to stick with this no kids for Lenny thing, not a staff room full of real women so who knows what the last 7 eps will reveal.

You know you are making me think back now on the episode "Locomotion Reverberation" when the girls went out and were talking in the car and Penny I think felt a little jealous of Bernadette having a career, a house, and a baby while she thought that "Leonard and I have been married two years and we are no further along than when we were dating"   Wasn't she thinking family then?  Why didn't they pursue this theory?

• Like 3