Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, shell said:

That is funny-- I think that's what happens to long playing shows--the characters have to grow changing the dynamics of the show and why it was popular and good in the first place.

It's either going to get old from the same behaviors over and over again or it's gotta change but not always for the best

Shell's right. In this case the actors aged by more than a decade and so the characters had to age - or in some ways grow up - with them. Leonard changed the least, it seemed to me. They were all child-like in many ways to begin with and over the years, since it wasn't an animated show, they needed to be moved on. I've liked them better as time has gone on.

Every now and again, among  the muddles and anachronisms and inconsistencies, a writer troubles to give us some worthwhile insight into character and that's good because we get something to talk about. 

We were slowly given the information that Sheldon's combination of nature and nurture, for instance, wasn't always favourable for him. Even without YS it was clear he'd not had much opportunity to find a peer group in his formative years. Most of any intellectual equals he had were not in his own age group. That puts a boy on the defensive. The fighting Texan instinct is still in him, nevertheless, at least from what he says. Sheldon's only weapon then was disdain and it persisted into adulthood. He found a handy coping tool in squashing emotions. Mix all that with a personality that's probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum and you find it's going to take him a long time to identify old habits for what they are - such as when a shock to his system got him to listen to Leonard about reality v fiction in the Spockumentary  episode - and learn to discard them. But he can do it, at least as far as he wants to. He couldn't otherwise have got a wife so he made the effort.

The reason for Leonard's insecurities and desire for approval is obvious when we see the mother they wrote for him, but he doesn't let it become an excuse for being a pain in the neck.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shell said:

I know I love the ending! It changed their relationship and Sheldon gained respect for her

Thanks I really enjoyed a nice peaceful chat. Nice to have another Sheldon fan to chat with for sure! We are are few and far between. Thanks again!!

6 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

I love them all. Over the last 12 seasons, they made laugh, cry, scream, shrug my shoulders, roll my eyes, clap my hands, cheer, shake my fist, squeal with delight, roar in anger, get frustrated, be filled with joy.

I’m a BBT Fanatic first, identify with Lenny next but get compared to Sheldon most by friends and family ( but without his worst extremes as I could not exist in real life if those traits were possible)

I recognise that Raj is very much a douchebag but still laugh at his comic relief role and been saddened by his character stalling often. I cringed at much of Howard’s early efforts but grew to acknowledge that his best moments were truly some of the show’s highlights.

I cheered for the Lenny relationship from the moment it began and drew parallels to my life. Early Penny was eye catching but I grew intrigued with her beyond her looks and rode the roller coaster of her troubled life from start to finish. I sided with Leonard but was still disappointed when he failed to live up to the standards I felt he set.

Sheldon drew me into the show deeply with his quirks that others saw in me and I laughed at them for years, accepting the absurdity of his behaviour as a byproduct of the comedy he delivered. I’ve never grown tired of the character himself, just the overuse of him by the writers to the detriment of others’ development and stories.

As part of both Howardette and “the girls” Bernadette’s humour and feistiness grew on me and her and Howard’s moments were often scene stealers to me. And yet I am saddened by the nasty edge the writers have given her in recent seasons.

Amy has always been a hard one to categorise for me. As an individual she both amuses and infuriates. As part of Shamy I’ve felt the same. But I’ve always enjoyed that she’s part of the show.

Stuart has deserved to be treated better than he has, Wil, Kripke, the parents have been great foils ( not sure we needed Bert!).

On here I’ve complained when I felt it necessary but generally just enjoyed the ride, bumpy though it’s been. I’ve watched bemused generally as the shipping wars have ebbed and flowed. I’ve cringed at the constant rehashed arguments but accepted them as part of being in an online community of varied backgrounds, biases, maturities and writing skills. But I’ve always been amazed at the passion and knowledge, the humour and serious intent inherent in the discussions that take place.

As the show draws to the end I live in genuine hope that everyone here gets something at the end that brings them some joy because it truly saddens me when this place descends into a gloom and doom zone. The show has given us a lot. Sometimes we forget that when we hit a wall. Here’s to hope.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post! I really enjoyed it. It was honest and fair and well written. 

  • Like 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Shell's right. In this case the actors aged by more than a decade and so the characters had to age - or in some ways grow up - with them. Leonard changed the least, it seemed to me. They were all child-like in many ways to begin with and over the years, since it wasn't an animated show, they needed to be moved on. I've liked them better as time has gone on.

Every now and again, among  the muddles and anachronisms and inconsistencies, a writer troubles to give us some worthwhile insight into character and that's good because we get something to talk about. 

We were slowly given the information that Sheldon's combination of nature and nurture, for instance, wasn't always favourable for him. Even without YS it was clear he'd not had much opportunity to find a peer group in his formative years. Most of any intellectual equals he had were not in his own age group. That puts a boy on the defensive. The fighting Texan instinct is still in him, nevertheless, at least from what he says. Sheldon's only weapon then was disdain and it persisted into adulthood. He found a handy coping tool in squashing emotions. Mix all that with a personality that's probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum and you find it's going to take him a long time to identify old habits for what they are - such as when a shock to his system got him to listen to Leonard about reality v fiction in the Spockumentary  episode - and learn to discard them. But he can do it, at least as far as he wants to. He couldn't otherwise have got a wife so he made the effort.

The reason for Leonard's insecurities and desire for approval is obvious when we see the mother they wrote for him, but he doesn't let it become an excuse for being a pain in the neck.

I hate to say it, but none of the guys have changed, other than being older. They still play video games, go to the comic book store , as well as everything else they did 12 years ago, The only major change is their living arrangements. In Howard's case, he changed from having his mother take care of him, to his wife doing it. Leonard's the best of the lot as he truly is friends with the other guys, even though most of the time they don't deserve it. I know there are different opinions out there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chucky said:

I hate to say it, but none of the guys have changed, other than being older. They still play video games, go to the comic book store , as well as everything else they did 12 years ago, The only major change is their living arrangements. In Howard's case, he changed from having his mother take care of him, to his wife doing it. Leonard's the best of the lot as he truly is friends with the other guys, even though most of the time they don't deserve it. I know there are different opinions out there.

I didn't say they'd changed everything, nor left all they liked behind them.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dysfunctionalsymmetry said:

Sadly, I caught a "Big Bang Bug" of a flu somewhere between my trip there and friday afternoon and I'm still battling it. I'll post a couple of things though:

Title: The Plagiarism Schism.
Main Plot: Sheldon and Amy discover Pemberton likes to mooch off others' work instead of doing things on his own, but Penny and Leonard take the whistleblowing into their own hands which fails and then goes to Campbell for swift resolution (having been a victim of someone plagiarizing my own work, i didn't agree with how this resolved). 
Sub Plot: Cheesecake Factory made a final return as Bernie tells Howard that another waitress had a crush on him but that she herself made sure that didn't go any father, and Howard tried to find out hillariously who it was. 

I was seated in front of Penny's Apartment and the cheesecake factory was way way way off to the side past Sheldon and Leonard's place.  Kal Penn and Sean Astin were there. I wish something had been done about the Raj and Anu arc because I was really curious about that. 

Couple quick anecdotes:
Jim Parsons had his lines on cue cards and hid them in the shelf before a scene with him and Mayim.
In the scene where Sheldon and Amy talk to the rest of them about what they know, the entire cast did not know some lines had been cut leading to some hilarious confusion!
There was also a bit of a fight scene that was pretaped I wish they would have done live. 
And no one unlocked the 50 or 100 that was in the envelope

Thanks for the information! I hope you had a great time other than getting sick. I hope you feel better soon.

What does this mean? Like an audience trivia or something? 

Also, what was the swift resolution? The cheaters get to keep taking credit for the Shamy find?

Love that Penny and Leonard are still such good friends to both Sheldon and Amy and go to bat for them...they need a Nobel award for friendship. They never cease to amaze me in this area. 

4 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Shell's right. In this case the actors aged by more than a decade and so the characters had to age - or in some ways grow up - with them. Leonard changed the least, it seemed to me. They were all child-like in many ways to begin with and over the years, since it wasn't an animated show, they needed to be moved on. I've liked them better as time has gone on.

Every now and again, among  the muddles and anachronisms and inconsistencies, a writer troubles to give us some worthwhile insight into character and that's good because we get something to talk about. 

We were slowly given the information that Sheldon's combination of nature and nurture, for instance, wasn't always favourable for him. Even without YS it was clear he'd not had much opportunity to find a peer group in his formative years. Most of any intellectual equals he had were not in his own age group. That puts a boy on the defensive. The fighting Texan instinct is still in him, nevertheless, at least from what he says. Sheldon's only weapon then was disdain and it persisted into adulthood. He found a handy coping tool in squashing emotions. Mix all that with a personality that's probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum and you find it's going to take him a long time to identify old habits for what they are - such as when a shock to his system got him to listen to Leonard about reality v fiction in the Spockumentary  episode - and learn to discard them. But he can do it, at least as far as he wants to. He couldn't otherwise have got a wife so he made the effort.

The reason for Leonard's insecurities and desire for approval is obvious when we see the mother they wrote for him, but he doesn't let it become an excuse for being a pain in the neck.

Love this ❤️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dysfunctionalsymmetry said:

Sadly, I caught a "Big Bang Bug" of a flu somewhere between my trip there and friday afternoon and I'm still battling it. I'll post a couple of things though:

Title: The Plagiarism Schism.
Main Plot: Sheldon and Amy discover Pemberton likes to mooch off others' work instead of doing things on his own, but Penny and Leonard take the whistleblowing into their own hands which fails and then goes to Campbell for swift resolution (having been a victim of someone plagiarizing my own work, i didn't agree with how this resolved). 
Sub Plot: Cheesecake Factory made a final return as Bernie tells Howard that another waitress had a crush on him but that she herself made sure that didn't go any father, and Howard tried to find out hillariously who it was. 

I was seated in front of Penny's Apartment and the cheesecake factory was way way way off to the side past Sheldon and Leonard's place.  Kal Penn and Sean Astin were there. I wish something had been done about the Raj and Anu arc because I was really curious about that. 

Couple quick anecdotes:
Jim Parsons had his lines on cue cards and hid them in the shelf before a scene with him and Mayim.
In the scene where Sheldon and Amy talk to the rest of them about what they know, the entire cast did not know some lines had been cut leading to some hilarious confusion!
There was also a bit of a fight scene that was pretaped I wish they would have done live. 
And no one unlocked the 50 or 100 that was in the envelope. 

Thanks very much. Get well soon !

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, chucky said:

I hate to say it, but none of the guys have changed, other than being older. They still play video games, go to the comic book store , as well as everything else they did 12 years ago, The only major change is their living arrangements. In Howard's case, he changed from having his mother take care of him, to his wife doing it. Leonard's the best of the lot as he truly is friends with the other guys, even though most of the time they don't deserve it. I know there are different opinions out there.

I wouldn't say that--adults play video games. They're in serious relationships, except for Raj, Howard has kids and the rest are considering having them and  they're proficient in their careers and they're responsible husbands--video games and comic books are hobbies--doesn't nessacarily make them imature. If they were out drinking all the time that would be a different story 

  • Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shell said:

I wouldn't say that--adults play video games. They're in serious relationships, except for Raj, Howard has kids and the rest are considering having them and  they're proficient in their careers and they're responsible husbands--video games and comic books are hobbies--doesn't nessacarily make them imature. If they were out drinking all the time that would be a different story 

WE DISAGREE AS ALWAYS!!!!!  😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sah said:

Thanks I really enjoyed a nice peaceful chat. Nice to have another Sheldon fan to chat with for sure! We are are few and far between. Thanks again!!

 

And thank you.

Just like when I meet another dog person I usually instantly like them and  the same goes for another Sheldon person. It's so nice when someone else agrees

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chucky said:

WE DISAGREE AS ALWAYS!!!!!  😒

Why are you screaming at the poster?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Sah said:

Why are you screaming at the poster?

I wasn't, my keyboard was stuck. It happens from time to time! Sorry.

Edited by chucky
I t to It
  • Haha 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shell said:

And thank you.

Just like when I meet another dog person I usually instantly like them and  the same goes for another Sheldon person. It's so nice when someone else agrees

Look how clever Amy is and she fell in love with Sheldon. That means Sheldon fans are in very intelligent company. :) 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Look how clever Amy is and she fell in love with Sheldon. That means Sheldon fans are in very intelligent company. :) 

In my opinion, if Amy was as clever as mentioned, she'd stayed with Dave!  8)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In my opinion, if Amy was as clever as mentioned, she'd stayed with Dave!  8)
I like Amy but I think she maybe a glutton for punishment

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dysfunctionalsymmetry said:

Thanks everyone! Not going to quote everyone. Thanks for your well wishes. I’m a grad student and thankfully my next class isn’t until Tuesday but it feels like such an uphill battle to even get a little functional. 

The warm up comedian Mark Sweet has the audience stay revved up so that they can be pumped for the taping and has these little contests where audience members get keys to try to unlock a lock on a clear pouch with money and no one got it :(. 

As for the swift resolution it happened in the form of Dr Campbell revealing all in a drunken rage and Dr. Pemberton running off scared in an instant. Not really how things happen irl but... I guess they only have so much time. It was a fast confessional scene to Sheldon and Amy at the end of the episode. 

Thank you again! Feel better :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion Amy and Leonard were both mentally abused by their mothers so would this be why they both put up with their partners big faults

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Deadline Hollywood

‘The Big Bang Theory’ Team Hints Series Won’t End With “Atomic Bomb” – The Contenders Emmys

The Big Bang Theory is a few of episodes away from its series finale, but don’t expect a big explosion to bring finality to the beloved characters on the CBS comedy. Director Mark Cedrowski teased what fans of the long-running hit CBS sitcom can expect during a panel Sunday at Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys.

“I honestly don’t know that much,” Cedrowski told Deadline’s Nellie Andreeva, who moderated the panel at the Paramount Theatre that also featured co-stars Kunal Nayaar and Melissa Rauch. “The final episode has not been written completely yet; it’s been outlined. I will say the one thing about how they’ve approached the whole season: When we learned that this was to be the last season … writers have approached it, not so much as the show is wrapping up and we’ll never see them again and the finality of it all.

“It’s going to be the last episode and it’s going to end, but people’s lives still go on,” he added. “The characters will be giving the idea that their lives continue on. It’s not going to be an atomic bomb where things blow up and you never see anybody again.”

<full article in the link>

 

 

the-big-bang-theory-contenders-emmys.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I like Amy but I think she maybe a glutton for punishment

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 

Yessireeee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dysfunctionalsymmetry said:

I’m a grad student and thankfully my next class isn’t until Tuesday but it feels like such an uphill battle to even get a little functional. 

Tuesday is a bit soon to be forcing yourself back to work after a bout of flu. Don't give yourself complications. A month's rest is the least you need. Did you have a flu shot ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad that Howard couldn't show some character development by the end of Laureate Accumulation

The beginning of the episode was very "wink wink, we were just on Ellen"

Amy's blow-up being a triumphant moment might have worked better

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

Tuesday is a bit soon to be forcing yourself back to work after a bout of flu. Don't give yourself complications. A month's rest is the least you need. Did you have a flu shot ? 

I did! And perhaps this is what is saving me right now despite the awfulness of this all. 

  • Koala Face 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not clear on this plagiarism idea... They didn't just copy Shamy's paper, as I understand it, they accidentally made an experiment that supports it. So, even if one of them tends to copy papers or whatever, it makes him look bad but it doesn't change anything concerning their possible Nobel nomination. 

Edited by bfm
  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bfm said:

So, even if one of them tends to copy papers or whatever, it makes him look bad but it doesn't change anything concerning their possible Nobel nomination. 

I don't see how it makes them look bad. All they did was take their idea and proved it. I do believe they acknowledged Shamy's part in the deal!

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.