Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, chucky said:

I don't see how it makes them look bad. All they did was take their idea and proved it. I do believe they acknowledged Shamy's part in the deal!

I meant if they find out this man had commited plagiarism in the past. As I understand there was no plagiarism in the Super Asymmetry case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bfm said:

I meant if they find out this man had commited plagiarism in the past. As I understand there was no plagiarism in the Super Asymmetry case.

Okay Dokay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, given all that talk about how things will continue as they've been, I think the last scene may be them having dinner in 4A, just like the last shot of the theme song.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bfm said:

BTW, given all that talk about how things will continue as they've been, I think the last scene may be them having dinner in 4A, just like the last shot of the theme song.

Hmm prob after a lot happens. Last meal in 4A. And camera fades black. Maybe a flash forward. I would love a tag scene in the end though. A nerdy girl moves in next door. Two cute guys say Hi. Show ends. Of Course I would love the Elevator to be fixed. But hearing them talk like “Their life’s well go on”. I’m thinking they won’t move away end of Series Final. And Flash Forwards. Are prob a probability. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bfm said:

BTW, given all that talk about how things will continue as they've been, I think the last scene may be them having dinner in 4A, just like the last shot of the theme song.

Yeah, that's what I'm picturing now as well.

  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Sheldon had got up early to watch the Nobel presentation. He was telling the king that the prize he was handing over was undeserved and he should be careful not to get robbed himself. Trouble was, Sheldon called him 'Olaf' so I found myself Nectar-searching what that was all about since the Scandinavian monarchs had different names so far as I knew.  I remember King Olaf at the Cenotaph every year when I was younger, often on the balconies there and at Buckingham palace for royal events. He died when Sheldon was about eleven. Sheldon, despite his Nobelamania obviously didn't know everything.

I'm trying to remember. Was that the height of Frozen mania? I remember there being some heated discussion that Disney only implied Frozen's Arendelle was a take on Norway because they needed to remodel the Maelstrom ride and wanted to get more little kids to Epcot. Hans Christian Andersen, who wrote The Snow Queen, was, of course Danish. And Frozen had a main character named Olaf. It was considered quite the scam by Maelstom fans and they used Olaf as a derisive term for Disney.  When the Frozen ride opened though there was a 2 - 2 1/2 hour wait to ride it. It definitely did get more families with young children to Epcot.

 

20 hours ago, Sah said:

I like early season Sheldon as well. I enjoyed his interactions with Penny.

Penny and Sheldon were funnier when they were adversarial. When she was needling him for being weird and he was needling her for being an airhead. When they got to be close friends I liked a lot less of their interaction.,

15 hours ago, dysfunctionalsymmetry said:

Sadly, I caught a "Big Bang Bug" of a flu somewhere between my trip there and friday afternoon and I'm still battling it.

SO sorry to hear this. Get well soon.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
lousy typist
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

they used Olaf as a derisive term for Disney. 

Perhaps that's what Sheldon was doing to diminish the event as he thought the recipient was undeserving. An 'in' gag from the writers ? I don't know anything about Frozen apart from what Raj's fancy woman ( I forget her name : not had breakfast yet ) said in Comic Center nor who or what Epcot is. Thanks for the explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bfm said:

I meant if they find out this man had committed plagiarism in the past. As I understand there was no plagiarism in the Super Asymmetry case.

Perhaps the results were faked. The official Shamy paper is there for both university authorities to see, so Campbell would have no chance of copying a chunk of it.

Or perhaps he'd already  plagiarised some other work which helped in stumbling across the proof of super asymmetry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dysfunctionalsymmetry said:

I did! And perhaps this is what is saving me right now despite the awfulness of this all. 

Good. Flu's a nasty thing. Take enough care of yourself even if you have to miss classes. It's not worth risking the after-effects. Getting over flu can take a surprising length of time. Whatever Amy recovered from in a few days when she wanted Sheldon to take care of her can't have been flu.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bfm said:

BTW, given all that talk about how things will continue as they've been, I think the last scene may be them having dinner in 4A, just like the last shot of the theme song.

That would be cool way to end it...I still hope they fix the elevator though 

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dysfunctionalsymmetry said:

And no one unlocked the 50 or 100 that was in the envelope. 

AFAIK it is just the running gag and noone gets that money! Mark Sweet is a part time magician  and he takes care about that 😁

14 hours ago, vonmar said:

From Deadline Hollywood

‘The Big Bang Theory’ Team Hints Series Won’t End With “Atomic Bomb” – The Contenders Emmys

The Big Bang Theory is a few of episodes away from its series finale, but don’t expect a big explosion to bring finality to the beloved characters on the CBS comedy. Director Mark Cedrowski teased what fans of the long-running hit CBS sitcom can expect during a panel Sunday at Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys.

“I honestly don’t know that much,” Cedrowski told Deadline’s Nellie Andreeva, who moderated the panel at the Paramount Theatre that also featured co-stars Kunal Nayaar and Melissa Rauch. “The final episode has not been written completely yet; it’s been outlined. I will say the one thing about how they’ve approached the whole season: When we learned that this was to be the last season … writers have approached it, not so much as the show is wrapping up and we’ll never see them again and the finality of it all.

“It’s going to be the last episode and it’s going to end, but people’s lives still go on,” he added. “The characters will be giving the idea that their lives continue on. It’s not going to be an atomic bomb where things blow up and you never see anybody again.”

<full article in the link>

 

 

the-big-bang-theory-contenders-emmys.jpg

so noones dropping the piano ... OK!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why would these two "fakers" even be eligible for a Nobel? They didn't come up with the concept or the math. They just proved Sheldon & Amy's theory.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

So why would these two "fakers" even be eligible for a Nobel? They didn't come up with the concept or the math. They just proved Sheldon & Amy's theory.

Because the writers or TPTB thought it was a funny idea ?

  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigBang15 said:

So why would these two "fakers" even be eligible for a Nobel? They didn't come up with the concept or the math. They just proved Sheldon & Amy's theory.

Because they're the ones who came up with the realisation, or claimed to. They are practical physicists. Their lab will be like Leonard's, with things in it that do things. The Curie family, Sheldon's heroes, produced stuff that glowed. Sometimes a large team is involved in a discovery and it's only the boss (es) or whoever makes something tangible out of the work who get(s) the award. A propos of nothing, it's only the ones left alive. The award is never posthumous. Watson and Crick had a fellow scientist who died of breast cancer and got left off the award.

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

They just proved Sheldon & Amy's theory.

That's why. They didn't fake proving Shamy's work. Shamy just came up with the idea.

2 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

Because the writers or TPTB thought it was a funny idea ?

So true! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Because they're the ones who came up with the realisation, or claimed to. They are practical physicists. Their lab will be like Leonard's, with things in it that do things. The Curie family, Sheldon's heroes, produced stuff that glowed. Sometimes a large team is involved in a discovery and it's only the boss (es) or whoever makes something tangible out of the work who get(s) the award. A propos of nothing, it's only the ones left alive. The award is never posthumous. Watson and Crick had a fellow scientist who died of breast cancer and got left off the award.

...it was the anniversary of Watson's birthday on Saturday April 6...(1928)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

...it was the anniversary of Watson's birthday on Saturday April 6...(1928)

Until recently he was still working. I read  in an article that he'd been fired from his post because the powers that be didn't like the results of his latest research. It was too non-PC for them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Until recently he was still working. I read  in an article that he'd been fired from his post because the powers that be didn't like the results of his latest research. It was too non-PC for them.

...sounds like an old rascal!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigBang15 said:

So why would these two "fakers" even be eligible for a Nobel? They didn't come up with the concept or the math. They just proved Sheldon & Amy's theory.

The vast majority of Nobels are for experimental work that supports a theory, or theoretical work, after an experiment show the theory is possibly correct.  Einstein, although known today mostly for relativity, did not win his Nobel for relativity, either special or general.   However, there have been two Nobels for experiments supporting General Relativity (Kip Thorne was one, but as Joyce pointed out, he was a member of a large team, but one of the originators), and many other experiments that have to take relativity into account.

   Paul Dirac wasn't awarded the Nobel, for his 1928 work incorporating relativity into the quantum mechanical equations, until 1933.  The award came after Carl Anderson found the positron, which was predicted by Dirac's work (Anderson won the 1936 Nobel, for his discovery.)

The two may have been "fakers" when it comes to Super Asymmetry, and their experiment results providing support for it may have been an accident, but it's still their experiment that provided the support for Super Asymmetry.  Anderson's find of the positron was entirely by accident, but it still provided support for Dirac and won both of them a Nobel.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tensor said:

The two may have been "fakers" when it comes to Super Asymmetry, and their experiment results providing support for it may have been an accident, but it's still their experiment that provided the support for Super Asymmetry.  Anderson's find of the positron was entirely by accident, but it still provided support for Dirac and won both of them a Nobel.  

The crux of the story is that there are 4 scientists in the run for a prize that allows a maximum of 3 people and one of them being a "faker" with a reputation of plagiarism could affect the outcome over who gets the prize, specifically here that Amy would be included. I don't know if the vetting committee would take that into account IRL (was there ever such a case anyway?) but since plagiarism is an issue in the science community they might as well.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, April said:

a maximum of 3 people and one of them being a "faker" with a reputation of plagiarism could affect the outcome over who gets the prize,

I don't think so.

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, April said:

The crux of the story is that there are 4 scientists in the run for a prize that allows a maximum of 3 people and one of them being a "faker" with a reputation of plagiarism could affect the outcome over who gets the prize, specifically here that Amy would be included. I don't know if the vetting committee would take that into account IRL (was there ever such a case anyway?) but since plagiarism is an issue in the science community they might as well.

In the real world, the scientists aren't supposed to know that they are nominated to a Nobel Prize, but it's clearly different in tbbt land.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

In the real world, the scientists aren't supposed to know that they are nominated to a Nobel Prize, but it's clearly different in tbbt land.

From what I understand of the process first everyone who's allowed to (a few thousand people in fact) can send in their suggestions and then the committee is picking like 250 - 300 potential laureates. In TBBT Shamy and the rival team know their names have been sent in by two sources - Siebert with Shamy (and presumably one of the scientists??) and whoever from Fermilab with the two scientists plus Sheldon. Since both teams were trying to sway the public/science community I assume we're still in the vetting period here. So far nobody has been announced to be a proper nominee, as far as I'm aware anyway.

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

...sounds like an old rascal!!!

I gather it was his rascally comments on his findings that really annoyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.