The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, joyceraye said:

So  Americans call a pillow a pillow and a certain type of cushion a pillow. Snap is called twins. That's my most recent lesson in the learning of the American language. I've mostly picked it up from TV and radio over the internet. I know they call braces suspenders and suspenders garters. I don't yet know what they call garters. They call a brace on the teeth braces but a brace on the back a supporter. They call a supporter a fan. They call a lorry a  truck and they call a truck a boxcar. They call a fruit stone a pit and a  pit a pit. They call a cinema a theater and a theatre a theater. They call an estate car a van or minivan and they call a van a van. They call a TV series a season. They call the last episode in a series a season finale and a finale a curtain call and curtains drapes. They call a handbag a purse and a purse a wallet and a wallet a wallet. They call a waistcoat a vest. I don't know what they call a vest. They call trousers pants and pants underwear. I  don't yet know what they call underwear. I know they call blouses and T-shirts shirts and shirts shirts.  I've noticed they call their language English.

Well, now I've learned some things about UK English haha :)

Not an American but we are taught American English and almost everything I watch (in English) is American, so that's what I know.

I am always puzzled by the use of "wallet" to describe a small purse though... In Hebrew the word for wallet is only used to describe the thing you put money and cards in. In most other cases there's just one word for both UK and US words (e.g. "Carit" means pillow/cushion, no other word for that).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You always make me smile with your posts joyceraye ! This one was no exception. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

We call it a Season in NZ too. We also call Dinner "Tea".

If it's the meal you eat at home in the early evening after work, in the parts of England and Wales where I come from it's called 'tea' too, whether or not it's cooked. A cooked evening meal is called 'dinner' when it's a bit later but too early to be called supper, and something of special occasion, or eaten out. Schools in our area call the midday meal 'dinner' unless it's packed and brought from home, in which case it's called 'lunch'. When we meet people for a midday meal out we call that 'lunch' too. Because the terminology varies with the region of the country and to some extent with age and social class,hotels and holiday boarding houses advertise 'BB and EM'  (Bed, breakfast and evening meal) or 'BB and ED' ( Bed, breakfast and evening dinner) so as to make it clear, and adverts and menus for 'lunch' usually specify the time it's served. The stuff the TBBT crowd eat we just call a 'take-away' unless it's fish and chips or pizza, in which case we call it 'chips' or pizza, regardless of time or place. We don't go out specifically for ice cream because inland towns don't tend to have that sort of shop.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

If it's the meal you eat at home in the early evening after work, in the parts of England and Wales where I come from it's called 'tea' too, whether or not it's cooked. A cooked evening meal is called 'dinner' when it's a bit later but too early to be called supper, and something of special occasion, or eaten out. Schools in our area call the midday meal 'dinner' unless it's packed and brought from home, in which case it's called 'lunch'. When we meet people for a midday meal out we call that 'lunch' too. Because the terminology varies with the region of the country and to some extent with age and social class,hotels and holiday boarding houses advertise 'BB and EM'  (Bed, breakfast and evening meal) or 'BB and ED' ( Bed, breakfast and evening dinner) so as to make it clear, and adverts and menus for 'lunch' usually specify the time it's served. The stuff the TBBT crowd eat we just call a 'take-away' unless it's fish and chips or pizza, in which case we call it 'chips' or pizza, regardless of time or place. We don't go out specifically for ice cream because inland towns don't tend to have that sort of shop.

Fascinating!!!  What about elevenses???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Fascinating!!!  What about elevenses???

I think elevenses is a drink and a light snack, so i suppose in America it could be what they call brunch, but i don't know as i have never had elevenses

• Like 1

From Mark Sweet, audience warm up, and overall nice guy. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

CBS is getting more bang out of its Big Bang Theory goodbye buck, slotting a 30-minute retrospective to air the same night as the sitcom’s series finale.

This is probably what they were referring to earlier when they were talking about something special.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, vonmar said:

From TV Line

Big Bang Theory Retrospective to Air May 16 Following Series Finale

CBS is getting more bang out of its Big Bang Theory goodbye buck, slotting a 30-minute retrospective to air the same night as the sitcom’s series finale.

Titled Unraveling the Mystery: A Big Bang Farewell, the special — hosted by series stars Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco — will air Thursday, May 16 at 9:30 pm following the one-hour Big Bang closer (8-9 pm) and the Young Sheldon Season 2 finale (9-9:30 pm).

Per CBS, Galecki and Cuoco will “lead fans on a trip down memory lane, sharing some of the best-kept backstage secrets and personal memories from the past 12 years. They will reveal their favorite moments playing beloved characters Leonard and Penny, and revisit some of the most memorable stories from “The Big Bang Theory Stage.” In addition, the special will feature a tour of the iconic sets, including Leonard and Sheldon’s apartment” as well as “unforgettable clips and interviews.”

As previously reported, the Big Bang cast will also appear on Late Show With Stephen Colbert on May 16.

News of the retrospective special comes one day before the Big Bang Theory cast tapes the show’s final episode.

Interesting, however, I am curious as to why it's Johnny & Kaley, I mean if Sheldon is supposedly the most popular character on the show, shouldn't it be Jim instead ? or Jim & Mayim?.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, vonmar said:

From TV Line

[...]

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, vonmar said:

From TV Line

Titled Unraveling the Mystery: A Big Bang Farewell, the special — hosted by series stars Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco — will air Thursday, May 16 at 9:30 pm following the one-hour Big Bang closer (8-9 pm) and the Young Sheldon Season 2 finale (9-9:30 pm).

Per CBS, Galecki and Cuoco will “lead fans on a trip down memory lane, sharing some of the best-kept backstage secrets and personal memories from the past 12 years. They will reveal their favorite moments playing beloved characters Leonard and Penny, and revisit some of the most memorable stories from “The Big Bang Theory Stage.” In addition, the special will feature a tour of the iconic sets, including Leonard and Sheldon’s apartment” as well as “unforgettable clips and interviews.”

As previously reported, the Big Bang cast will also appear on Late Show With Stephen Colbert on May 16.

News of the retrospective special comes one day before the Big Bang Theory cast tapes the show’s final episode.

Looking forward to that. I think it should air before the finale tohugh 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zephon75 said:

Interesting, however, I am curious as to why it's Johnny & Kaley, I mean if Sheldon is supposedly the most popular character on the show, shouldn't it be Jim instead ? or Jim & Mayim?.

I get the feeling Jim Parsons is completely over having anything to do with the Big Bang Theory. I don't think he wants to do anything extra. He is the only one who does not appear to he affected by the show ending. 

• Like 2
  • Koala Face 1

3 minutes ago, Sah said:

I get the feeling Jim Parsons is completely over having anything to do with the Big Bang Theory. I don't think he wants to do anything extra. He is the only one who does not appear to he affected by the show ending. 

I don't blame him really. I think he want to get away from Sheldon and it can't come soon enough 

• Like 2

Just now, Sah said:

I have a feeling he's very busy-- being a  producer..'Special' on Netflix-- others in production...starring in Boys in the Band...he's ready to move on.. I read he has a lot of things lined up... where as the rest of the cast aren't too sure yet where they're going to proceed..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sah said:

During the course of Season 12 Jim has participated in about 99% of BBT related events.  Interviews, photo shoots, press days, award shows, talk show appearances, etc.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I don't blame him really. I think he want to get away from Sheldon and it can't come soon enough 

Yep...I think so too. It makes me sad in a way. I wish he would post some sort of flash back picture or something, anything that shows some sort of feelings...but what are you going to do? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shell said:

I read he has a lot of things lined up... where as the rest of the cast aren't too sure yet where they're going to proceed..

Johnny has one sale to CBS, and two other series in development (due to shoot next year).  He also has guest appearances on The Conners lined up.   Kaley's production company will produce The Flight Attendant and Harley Quinn.   She will also star in the former, and voices the latter.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sah said:

Yep...I think so too. It makes me sad in a way. I wish he would post some sort of flash back picture or something, anything that shows some sort of feelings...but what are you going to do? 

He's a pretty private guy...

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, shell said:

He's a pretty private guy...

It doesn't have to be personal. Perhaps post a picture that has not been seen before...dressing room door being closed in finality. An empty Shamy apartment picture. I am easy to please. Any thing that has to do with the show. These are not overly personal.