The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

23 hours ago, Tensor said:

I know you read a couple of others...😜

Yeah, I was obsessed. And did read a lot. The problem for me came when all this good stuff written in good faith by good people was totally absent from the show. I kept hoping it would cross pollenate, but where Sheldon was concerned Leonard could never catch a break. 

I don’t think anyone actually wrote the Hitchcock Rope version where Sheldon is smothered with a pillow and hidden in the apartment in a box by Leonard & Penny  - quite the different sort of finale that’d have been-  but there’s an idea for someone. Two lots of IP to mash-up. 

And it being TBBT it has to be written funny. Like the  CSI crossover episode written by the Three and a Half Men team. Best line I recall was, after a rubber chicken is extracted from the throat of the victim, Grissom (I think) is asked “What’s that?”. He replied, “A gag”. 

You’re welcome. :😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Yeah, I was obsessed. And did read a lot. The problem for me came when all this good stuff written in good faith by good people was totally absent from the show. I kept hoping it would cross pollenate, but where Sheldon was concerned Leonard could never catch a break. 

Oh, I get it.  One of the reasons I struggled with the end of Chew Toy, was they way there were treating Lenny in season 8.  The shit we were getting on screen, for Lenny, really sapped the desire to write.  

I don’t think anyone actually wrote the Hitchcock Rope version where Sheldon is smothered with a pillow and hidden in the apartment in a box by Leonard & Penny  - quite the different sort of finale that’d have been-  but there’s an idea for someone. Two lots of IP to mash-up. 

That might have been a good episode, say around season 10  

And it being TBBT it has to be written funny. Like the  CSI crossover episode written by the Three and a Half Men team. Best line I recall was, after a rubber chicken is extracted from the throat of the victim, Grissom (I think) is asked “What’s that?”. He replied, “A gag”. 

You’re welcome. :😁

I'll reply, like I replied to one of Stephen Hawking's posts:  Groan.  🙄😂😂😋

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I don’t think ppl well change their minds much on the much maligned episodes 4x24 & 8x24 hahaha. 

That is so very true! IMO, those were the worst episodes taped!

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

From The New York Post

‘The Big Bang Theory’ makes history in Washington, DC

‘The Big Bang Theory” ended its run three weeks ago, but will live on in perpetuity — not only in repeats but as part of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in Washington, DC.

BBT” producer Warner Bros. Television has donated a slew of show-related artifacts from the long-running CBS sitcom to the Smithsonian’s Entertainment Collection, including Sheldon Cooper’s (Jim Parsons) superhero shirt, Amy Farrah Fowler’s (Mayim Bialik) knee-length skirt and Howard Wolowitz’s (Simon Helberg) dickie and belt buckle.

They’re the most recent additions to the museum’s long laundry list of artifacts from TV shows including “Breaking Bad,” “All in the Family,” “The Walking Dead,” “Barney Miller,” “Star Trek” and “The Joy of Painting” (Bob Ross’ palette and easel).

“When we collect our main concern is the preservation of artifacts over time,” says Eric Jentsch, the Smithsonian’s lead curator for entertainment and sports. “We can’t include every show . . . but ‘The Big Bang Theory’ says some things about the differences in perspective on pop culture. It was kind of meta in that way and embraced pop culture in a way other shows haven’t. Those are the kinds of things we hope to relay in our work and exhibits — elements that are essential to understanding American history.”

Television artifacts are both donated to and collected by the museum and are exhibited on a rotating basis (the “BBT” collection is expected to be put on display in 2021). “When they come into our collection our guarantee is that we care for them in perpetuity, and because of that we don’t put anything on permanent display because of environmental factors that will degrade [the artifacts],” says Ryan Lintelman, the museum’s entertainment curator. “We have people here called conservators who study material science and make recommendations for how long something can be on display.” Even the most popular collections — including Archie and Edith Bunker’s chairs from “All in the Family” and Fonzie’s leather jacket from “Happy Days” — aren’t always on display.

<full article in the link>

Thanks

20 hours ago, chucky said:

That is so very true! IMO, those were the worst episodes taped!

Shock Value can work if approached properly. I was actually more bothered by 8x24 then 4x24. Penny was always susceptible to promiscious hook ups, particularly while intoxicated. 8x24 they really threw Leonard under a metaphorical bus. But of course all worked out in the end. 

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I was actually more bothered by 8x24 then 4x24.

I agree that 8x24 was the worst and bothered me the most. But, pimping drunk Penny out to a gang member was ridiculous! Oh well, thank god it wasn't Howard!  :hi:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chucky said:

I agree that 8x24 was the worst and bothered me the most. But, pimping drunk Penny out to a gang member was ridiculous! Oh well, thank god it wasn't Howard!  :hi:

4.24 was completely awful. “I messed up”. “If we weren’t friends”. No memory (by her) of what happened. Having to walk by him after waking. Completely awful and really the low point of the series. 

8.24 was pretty bad as well. The need to assassinate Leonard’s character so you can have a 4-way mirror of relationship stress (Sheldon v Amy; Raj v Emily; and Howard/Bernadette v Stuart) is unforgivable, but to me 4.24 is worse. Even though “nothing happened” he meant it to and wanted to pretend it did. How can Leonard look at Raj and not have that resurface in the back of his mind. Never saying anything, but....Of course in my imagination L & P have discussed it at great, great length and perhaps L has put it down to it’s “Raj being Raj”, but.... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

4.24 was completely awful. “I messed up”. “If we weren’t friends”. No memory (by her) of what happened. Having to walk by him after waking. Completely awful and really the low point of the series. 

8.24 was pretty bad as well. The need to assassinate Leonard’s character so you can have a 4-way mirror of relationship stress (Sheldon v Amy; Raj v Emily; and Howard/Bernadette v Stuart) is unforgivable, but to me 4.24 is worse. Even though “nothing happened” he meant it to and wanted to pretend it did. How can Leonard look at Raj and not have that resurface in the back of his mind. Never saying anything, but....Of course in my imagination L & P have discussed it at great, great length and perhaps L has put it down to it’s “Raj being Raj”, but.... 

n_505.gif.4a7230e2467cde092debe51973066d36.gif

...as usual, it was left to our imagination. What I remember well, however, is Penny's reaction to another attempt by Raj as an incapable douche.

n_508.gif.22ef4e5e61865cc41a5555cbc5bbd20e.gif

Short, but on point! That's my our girl, right? 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

8/24 is an assassination of Leonard's character for a bit of Lenny angst. 4/24 was the same but playing with Penny's drinking problems. Both episodes were great representation of unimaginative and lazy writing! We can all find reasons for one episode is worse than the other.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

Oh.... so we ARE going to do this 4.24/8.24 again?!? What have I done?

Maybe they should have got Raj and Mandy together so they could talk about their Lenny experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Of course in my imagination L & P have discussed it at great, great length... 

In mine also...😜 🙂

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

In talking about what was left to our imagination, and about all the wasted time this season, which most people have commented on, can we hit one more time on what they SHOULD have touched on that they dropped? I have a long list. Here are just a few things.

1. What happened with the tenure?
2. What happened with Howard's dad and brother?
3. Why was Sheldon so fond of Bill Nye when he has a degree in mechanical engineering and not science? I thought for sure at some point Howard would needle Sheldon about that. I kept waiting for it since it was just so obvious to me that he'd know.
4. Why did we never see Leonard's siblings or Penny's sister, even once?
5. After portraying them so badly in early eps why did they do the turnaround and make Amy's Mom and Sheldon's Dad so much more palatable?
6. What happened to reconcile Penny to her job? Was it the money or the fact that she turned out to be good at it?
7. Why didn't they follow up on Yvette the vet for Raj? No one in the fandom seemed to be polarized by her.

Anyone want to carry on? I know you all have things you wish had not been mentioned and tossed out that still matter to you even though the show is done..

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

Oh.... so we ARE going to do this 4.24/8.24 again?!?emoji1787.png What have I done?emoji12.png

Maybe they should have got Raj and Mandy together so they could talk about their Lenny experiences.

Apparently we are! Thanks for opening it up again. :hi:

Oh.... so we ARE going to do this 4.24/8.24 again?!? What have I done?

Hahahahaha! We are pretending tat it’s just another between season hiatus!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

In talking about what was left to our imagination, and about all the wasted time this season, which most people have commented on, can we hit one more time on what they SHOULD have touched on that they dropped? I have a long list. Here are just a few things.

3. Why was Sheldon so fond of Bill Nye when he has a degree in mechanical engineering and not science? I thought for sure at some point Howard would needle Sheldon about that. I kept waiting for it since it was just so obvious to me that he'd know.
5. After portraying them so badly in early eps why did they do the turnaround and make Amy's Mom and Sheldon's Dad so much more palatable?
6. What happened to reconcile Penny to her job? Was it the money or the fact that she turned out to be good at it?
7. Why didn't they follow up on Yvette the vet for Raj? No one in the fandom seemed to be polarized by her.

Anyone want to carry on? I know you all have things you wish had not been mentioned and tossed out that still matter to you even though the show is done..

Your list is dang good. Right now I'm at a loss for anymore.

12 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Really good list there @Die Zimtzicke, I have wanted a roadtrip to Nebraska for Lenny for ages.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Your list's pretty impressive! 🙂

I would like to emphasize your pt 7. My equivalent to Yvette and Raj would be Vanessa (the beautiful lady who knows Klingon, Sanskrit and also facts about flags) with Sheldon. (S9 - The Mystery Date Observation)

s_355.gif.5d5bd199d6ac1d7ba146d83739814993.gif

4 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Wholeheartedly agree with you.  8.24 was bad but eventually resolved with Leonard's heartfelt eternal love for Penny.  4.24 was another story which we never saw Penny and Leonard reconcile with.  Just some minor references by Penny after the confrontation with Emily.  "We weren't lovers, we just got drunk and fooled around" However, we never saw  them deal with the situation. But my biggest complaint about this episode, which I also believe the cast was not too happy with either, was the way they made Raj brag about how he bedded Penny when he specifically asked her not to reveal his premature ejaculation for fear of embarrassment.  (For instance what did he really tell Emily) Throughout the series they had him keep off-handedly mentioning it.  And you are correct how Leonard could let him into his home knowing of their one-night history together always puzzled me.  I read a very good fan-fic story about this episode whereby Leonard punches Raj in the nose for his indiscretion and then leaves Pasadena and goes to see Penny's father for some advice on how to deal with the situation. Subsequently, Penny follows Leonard to Nebraska and eventually they reconcile. A very plausible story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mario D. said:

A very plausible story.

It is a plausible and believable story.

I read somewhere that Chuck Lorre got a bur up his ass or something and came up with the Raj / Penny story line out of nowhere and some of the other writers tried to talk him out of it but he was set on it.  At the table read, Johnny and Simon were reported as being pissed off about it and after the summer backlash from fans, the story was decided to be the “pre-ejaculation” story to cover their asses.  Not one of Chuck’s better moments.  

Another story I heard or read about was that it was Chuck’s weird way of sticking another nail in the Shenny coffin.  If Penny slept with Raj, it would look even worse for her if she then got with Sheldon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

Not one of Chuck’s better moments.  

Definitely not one of his better moments.

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

I read somewhere that Chuck Lorre got a bur up his ass or something and came up with the Raj / Penny story line out of nowhere and some of the other writers tried to talk him out of it but he was set on it.  At the table read, Johnny and Simon were reported as being pissed off about it and after the summer backlash from fans, the story was decided to be the “pre-ejaculation” story to cover their asses.  Not one of Chuck’s better moments.  

Another story I heard or read about was that it was Chuck’s weird way of sticking another nail in the Shenny coffin.  If Penny slept with Raj, it would look even worse for her if she then got with Sheldon.  

I think this is very true At the 2011 comic-con  Ausiello from TV Line interviewed the cast and they admitted there was almost a fight at the table read. Also, Kunal was upset that he had to be put in that position. Also believe they rewrote the story over the summer months to show that they did not have sex and soften the criticism they received as you suggest.  As Johnny said in the interview they were very "protective" of Penny.  Think he meant that in more ways than one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chucky said:

Apparently we are! Thanks for opening it up again. :hi:

When there is nothing to talk about, we can always bring up 4.24 again.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

When there is nothing to talk about, we can always bring up 4.24 again.

Or 8.24!  😊