The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, veejay said:

I agree. There used to be a modest attempt, but as a rival against Penny there was probably no agreement in the writer's room...

n_106.gif.9e4aa3f1b9d508e218a08d8f55459629.gif

...and Denise came definitely too late.

n_170.gif.310c35f8b366eb6bbd1f6bef1d3d72cd.gif

🙂

I was thinking the same thing!:hi:

17 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

I just think Raj was sidekick material from the start. Writers were more comfortable attaching him to the others as comic relief or third banana than trying to give him a long term arc to explore relationships. He didn’t have the determination or drive to pursue a woman like Leonard or Howard. He was too busy living in a fantasy world. Plus the writers could never settle on the quintessential Raj once he could talk. He was destined to remain the odd Seventh Character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree  Raj had many chances with women but always seemed to foul them up. To me Lucy seemed too off-beat,  Emily seemed to be a good fit for Raj as she was academically on their level but had her "dark" moments.  Then they inexplicably tossed her aside. The dating two women arc was really an embarrassment for Raj. TBH, I thought Anu might have been the best fit if they had explored the story with a little more depth.  Wouldn't it have been a sweet scene at the end if Anu showed up in Sweden from England and then we would have to imagine if they got back together or not.  I think that would have been a better ending for Raj.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Did they realize too late that geeky girls exist?

Iris Bahr plays Gilda in the unpaired pilot of The Big Bang Theory so they knew they existed.

She portrays a role much like Leslie as her character also has an interest in Leonard. Gilda also reveals she had sex with Sheldon at a Star Trek convention.

Looks to me that they did not know how to work it in.

5 hours ago, veejay said:

I agree. There used to be a modest attempt, but as a rival against Penny there was probably no agreement in the writer's room...

n_106.gif.9e4aa3f1b9d508e218a08d8f55459629.gif

...and Denise came definitely too late.

n_170.gif.310c35f8b366eb6bbd1f6bef1d3d72cd.gif

🙂

Twelve years ago Denise wasn't even in double figures. She's still a student now. She'd have been far too young to be introduced before. Stuart would have been arrested for cradle snatching.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Twelve years ago Denise wasn't even in double figures. She's still a student now. She'd have been far too young to be introduced before. Stuart would have been arrested for cradle snatching.

I don't think she's younger than Penny

1 hour ago, bfm said:

That, we'll probably never know for sure. The actress's age is no problem, characters ages is a different story. TPTB would need to provide that info.

Lauren Lapkus is the same age as Kaley so Denise could be the same age as Penny, younger or older depending on the whim of the writers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Itwasdestined said:

younger or older depending on the whim of the writers.

That's exactly right! TPTB determine the age of each characters.

4 hours ago, bfm said:

She's a student. If she had worked until she was thirty and then gone to college she'd have enough money behind her not to have to take on a weirdo to share her flat.

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

She's a student. If she had worked until she was thirty and then gone to college she'd have enough money behind her not to have to take on a weirdo to share her flat.

I can't help but think of Leonard rooming with Sheldon. It seems this is in the shows ?DNA regardless if it makes sense.

• Like 2

I also hear studying costs a whole lot in the US. Besides, we don't know her life. What if she didn't have much to begin with?

BTW, I don't remember the details about Denise being a student, what is she studying? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bfm said:

BTW, I don't remember the details about Denise being a student, what is she studying? 

I have no idea.

I’ll prob binge watch the show one day. I was on S7. But I miss the early seasons haha. Always good to rewatch the origins of a series. Knowing how it ends. You could argue a more safe ending compared to a Friends or How I met your mother etc. But pacing was almost seem less by finalie. I’m like that with shows. I need to know how it ends. Until I decide it’s worth investing. With TBBT. It was by the end trying to find a circuit in a black hole. 

19 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Wouldn't it have been a sweet scene at the end if Anu showed up in Sweden from England and then we would have to imagine if they got back together or not.  I think that would have been a better ending for Raj.

Like Anu show up at the ceremony and fight SMG for her seat next to Raj.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bfm said:

I also hear studying costs a whole lot in the US. Besides, we don't know her life. What if she didn't have much to begin with?

Denise is an art student. This has been mentioned two or three times. I suppose that's why The Comic Center appealed to her as a job.

30 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Denise is an art student. This has been mentioned two or three times. I suppose that's why The Comic Center appealed to her as a job.

She doesn't strike me as being in her early 20s. Lauren is far from that, they wouldn't have hired her if they wanted a very young woman. Who knows, maybe Denise studied something and then decided she's unhappy and wants to go into art. Or she didn't have the money earlier in her life and had to work to get it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, joyceraye said:

One of my daughter's friends stayed a college student until he was 33. We called him a professional student. Anyone of any age can be a student. Another friend of one of my kids graduated with a major in something that was impossible to get a job in and went back and started another major. 

I personally had a friend who majored in Mythology and Folklore (why I'll never know) and had to go back to school when they couldn't get a job.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

One of my daughter's friends stayed a college student until he was 33. We called him a professional student. Anyone of any age can be a student. Another friend of one of my kids graduated with a major in something that was impossible to get a job in and went back and started another major. 

I personally had a friend who majored in Mythology and Folklore (why I'll never know) and had to go back to school when they couldn't get a job.

I remember when my cousin was thinking about his retirement and said of his scientist son, ' After this next degree he can jolly well finish ! I've spent enough money,he's getting a job !' 

Said son did get a job and is now a Detective Chief Inspector of police. Graduates and post-graduates in some disciplines can rise through the ranks very quickly.

• Like 1

Tru dat. Is this because America had no history until the colonization. Your post reminds me of a friend who married an American woman and moved to the states with her. He had a degree in medieval studies, but could not get a job in his field in the US.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

He had a degree in medieval studies, but could not get himself a job in his field in the U.S.

That's the Law of Supply and Demand. If there's no demand then you don't need a supply.

• Like 1

From Variety

2018-2019 TV Season Delayed Viewing Ratings: ‘This Is Us,’ ‘Big Bang Theory,’ ‘Masked Singer’ in Three-Way Tie

The final Live+7 numbers for the 2018-2019 TV season are in.

Discounting any football content, which once again dwarfed all other programming on TV, there was a three-way tie for the biggest series of the year in the key 18-49 demographic.

One of those shows is “The Big Bang Theory,” which ended it 12-season run and was boosted by a massive ratings push in the last two or three episodes, another is “This Is Us,” whose third season consistently topped the ratings charts throughout the year, and finally the third series is “The Masked Singer.” The music competition series on Fox came out of nowhere and ended level with its scripted rivals on an average Live+7 rating of 3.8.

“This Is Us” was the largest grower of the three, gaining an average of 90% in delayed per episode as opposed to 65% for “Big Bang” and 46% for “Masked Singer.”

In terms of total viewership, “The Big Bang Theory” comfortably came out on top with just over 18 million total viewers per episode on Live+7, followed by its CBS counterpart “NCIS” with 15.9 milliton total viewers and its spinoff series “Young Sheldon” with 14.7 million total viewers.

<ratings charts in the link>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chucky said:

That's the Law of Supply and Demand. If there's no demand then you don't need a supply.

Exactly. There are many fields of study in the liberal arts for which there's no specific demand. However, a degree in one of them may show an aptitude for rigour or attention to detail that may get someone a training position. Many  jobs at a high level require training,and proof of the ability to learn is only the starting point. A degree is often the entry requirement for being taught a particular occupation. If your  degree is not in something such as architecture, accountancy, teaching, or medicine then it's time to think about   the demands of a career .If your degree is in  English, History or Maths, you're probably good material for learning a job in Law, Management, Admin or Social Work, for instance,but it's still back to school to get the diploma before you can practise. Not everyone gets employed by a university or NASA like our gang. Sometimes you have to keep studying while waiting on tables or child-minding (like Bernie or Emily ) before the jobs with the big bucks come up.

10 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Tru dat. Is this because America had no history until the colonization. Your post reminds me of a friend who married an American woman and moved to the states with her. He had a degree in medieval studies, but could not get a job in his field in the US.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I see what you mean : there was no medieval  US so there wouldn't be a job in a museum or archaeology of his period. His ability to earn that sort of degree might get him work  in  some  sort of research or forensics, though. 

11 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Is this because America had no history until the colonization

America had history, just none of that medieval mumbo jumbo.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

When I was at Anne Hathaway's cottage when I was doing a Shakespeare tour of England and Wales, I was talking to a reenactor who said 15 generations of the family had lived there. I told them we thought we were doing well because five generations of the family lived at the historical farm where I work. When he laughed I pointed out that to him 200 years was nothing but to me, 200 miles was nothing. My friend who had the degree in folklore wanted to work in a library but didn't want to get a Master's in library science, which kind of stymied that desire.

HATHO1.jpg

• Like 1

From Deadline Hollywood

‘The Big Bang Theory’ Sets Added To Warner Bros. Studio Tour

Fans of The Big Bang Theory can soon relive their favorite moments from the groundbreaking hit comedy series as part of Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood. Some of the original sets from the show, including apartments 4A and 4B, the infamous elevator and the CalTech Physics Lab Cafeteria, will be added to the Studio Tour beginning June 28 at Stage 48: Script to Screen.

Guests will be transported to Pasadena, California where the show, which wrapped its 12-season run in May, was set. Photo ops will be available including the Foyer between apartments 4A and 4B where Leonard (Johnny Galecki), Sheldon (Jim Parsons), Penny (Kaley Cuoco) and Amy (Mayim Bialik) lived adjacent to the infamous elevator.

Fans also can peer into the CalTech Physics Lab Cafeteria where Leonard, Sheldon, Howard (Simon Helberg) and Raj (Kunal Nayyar) often discussed the complexities of life and their relationships, in addition to comic book super powers. The Cafeteria set will also feature original costumes and from the larger cast including Penny, Amy and Bernadette (Melissa Rauch).

“For twelve seasons and 279 episodes, the cast and crew of The Big Bang Theoryfound their home away from home on these sets on Stage 25,” says Chuck Lorre, co-creator and executive producer of The Big Bang Theory, “We’re thrilled that Apartment 4A and other Big Bang locales will remind visitors of all the laughter that took place on our show.”

• Like 6