Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, shell said:

Judging by the smile on Amy's face I would disagree

As I said, first time. She'd have the same face if it lasted 10 seconds.   😃

Edited by chucky

Judging by the smile on Amy's face I would disagree
She would have smiled if he lasted 5 seconds. She had been desperate for years.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, chucky said:

As I said, first time. She'd have the same face if it lasted 10 seconds. She may have had sex with Sheldon Cooper. He may have paid Stuart to take his place, much like going shopping with Amy.  😃

Not even funny.....

12 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

I don't find Lenny very funny or different.  I don't see a deep connection

To each their own!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

She would have smiled if he lasted 5 seconds. She had been desperate for years.

When you first do it and it's good you-- smile. It could have been bad but it obviously wasn't because believe me you don't smile if its awful

Edited by shell

Hhhh

41 minutes ago, shell said:

They just wanted to emphasize the fact she was pregnant. 

And you know the difference between this and them showing Lenny love each other more than the others, how?  Do you have inside information on this?

Besides, It's much easier to kiss someone that is sitting right next to you and Just because they were kissing at that moment and the others weren't does not make them the happiest.

Doesn’t make the m the unhappiest either.  And again, the other couples were right next to sack other, and yet they didn’t kiss. Some dude toy sitting right next to each other isn’t the only requirement, there’s got to be something more. 

Mmm

Sheldon and Amy take three hours when they sleep together while Lenny take 9 minutes (Another good argument?)

One inconclusive data point doesn’t prove anything.  Is that three hours of sex?  Or two hours and 59 minutes of trying to figure out what to do, before one minute of sex?  They didn’t specify, so anything is possible.  As for the nine minutes, there’s also “you’re a genius, and the broken bed.  Not to mention “Shatner’s Painting”.   If sex with Leonard was so bad, why does she keep dragging him off to have sex?  If it’s so bad, she must really love him to keep going back  

Amy was growing too by saying what she wanted from the relationship then Sheldon listened and did the best he could and improved to make her happier. 

I don’t know, I could see how the writers were emphasizing how unhappy Amy was, as they were getting ready to go to the ceremony.  Then they re-emphasized how unhappy she was by having her Sheldon not kiss. 

I'll just agree we don't agree. It's obvious that won't change and whatever you say will not change my mind. 

It’s fine,  but I’ll continue to refute what I think are errors in your examples. 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Hhhh

And you know the difference between this and them showing Lenny love each other more than the others, how?  Do you have inside information on this?

Doesn’t make the m the unhappiest either.  And again, the other couples were right next to sack other, and yet they didn’t kiss. Some dude toy sitting right next to each other isn’t the only requirement, there’s got to be something more. 

Mmm

One inconclusive data point doesn’t prove anything.  Is that three hours of sex?  Or two hours and 59 minutes of trying to figure out what to do, before one minute of sex?  They didn’t specify, so anything is possible.  As for the nine minutes, there’s also “you’re a genius, and the broken bed.  Not to mention “Shatner’s Painting”.   If sex with Leonard was so bad, why does she keep dragging him off to have sex?  If it’s so bad, she must really love him to keep going back  

I don’t know, I could see how the writers were emphasizing how unhappy Amy was, as they were getting ready to go to the ceremony.  Then they re-emphasized how unhappy she was by having her Sheldon not kiss. 

It’s fine,  but I’ll continue to refute what I think are errors in your examples. 

You do? Never said they were the 'unhappiest'

(getting kind of old..) I don't really understand what you're trying to say 

We just don't agree I'm fine with that...

19 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

Maybe some of it is relatable but not something I  find original or  can keep my interest in a sitcom.  Sheldon was unique to me and maybe , the only reason I continued to watch TBBT in the early seasons before Amy was added. Sheldon's scenes with Penny were some of the funniest back then. 

See. I think this is the key word.  Lenny is very relatable to me, in my personal life.  Sheldon isn’t and I saw him as the “odd” one, which has been done a lot on TV(Niles Crane is perhaps the best and closest example)

Gotta agree with the funny scenes early in the show, with Penny and Sheldon.   That’s lost a lot of the edge in latter seasons. 

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

When you first do it and it's good you-- smile. It could have been bad but it obviously wasn't
No one and I cant stress this enough last 3hrs the first time. Tptb were pointing out how clueless they were.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tonstar17 said:

No one and I cant stress this enough last 3hrs the first time. Tptb were pointing out how clueless they were.

I don't agree

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, shell said:

You do? Never said they were the 'unhappiest'

(getting kind of old..) I don't really understand what you're trying to say 

We just don't agree I'm fine with that...

No, I don’t, but i didn't claim the writers were emphasizing the pregnancy either. 

If you see them breaking up, But not the others, that makes them, by default and English, the unhappiest. 

What part don’t you understand, there are several places, and you didn’t specify. 

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, shell said:
I don't agree

You do know it impossible. Right.

37 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Yeah. That.

And there’s the chafing. 

:) 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tensor said:

See. I think this is the key word.  Lenny is very relatable to me, in my personal life.  Sheldon isn’t and I saw him as the “odd” one, which has been done a lot on TV(Niles Crane is perhaps the best and closest example)

Gotta agree with the funny scenes early in the show, with Penny and Sheldon.   That’s lost a lot of the edge in latter seasons. 

I thought Lenny stories were very played out and I didn't see a deeper connection. I'm married  but relationships don't have to be relatable for me to enjoy them. I recently watched Parks and Recreations, and found the couples on that show to be  more interesting and funny, even if they are unrealistic , odd and eccentric. I always thought Sheldon brought something new to the table and without him, many plotlines would have devolved into the tired old plots of nerds chasing sex and girls. You may disagree and that is okay. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, joyceraye said:

An expert once told me that most of us spend at least a part of our lives somewhere on it. It can be grown out of, apparently. I believe that.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Maybe the expert meant something a bit different and wasn't clear enough. Some of us may have autistic features, that is true, but spend a part of our lives on the spectrum? No. As for "growing out of" it, that's more complicated. There certainly may be a change in the existence or the degree of symtpoms. Also, to have a diagnosis the symptoms should hinder one's functioning or cause significant distress. Then you get into more of a philosophical issue. Some view ASD as neurological difference, meaning a person with ASD is different (different, not lesser) than a neurotypical person (i.e. person without ASD). So, if a person has some ASD symptoms but they don't create problems in functioning nor distress, do they stop being different? In a way it reminds me of deaf people saying children with hearing aids are still hearing-impaired/deaf and should not be robbed of that identity (I'm making the comparison to say something about identity, not about the nature of the situations).

Edited by bfm
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

We don't know how many times they did it before Sheldon said, 'I enjoyed that more than I thought I would' and she agreed it would last her until her next birthday.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bfm said:

Sorry, but that's just not true. Maybe the expert meant something a bit different and wasn't clear enough. Some of us may have autistic features, that is true, but spend a part of our lives on the spectrum? No. As for "growing out of" it, that's more complicated. There certainly may be a change in the existence or the degree of symtpoms. Also, to have a diagnosis the symptoms should hinder one's functioning or cause significant distress. Then you get into more of a philosophical issue. Some view ASD as neurological difference, meaning a person with ASD is different (different, not lesser) than a neurotypical person (i.e. person without ASD). So, if a person has some ASD symptoms but they don't create problems in functioning nor distress, do they stop being different? In a way it reminds me of deaf people saying children with hearing aids are still hearing-impaired/deaf and should not be robbed of that identity (I'm making the comparison to say something about identity, not about the nature of the situations).

That's a good explanation and a good question. I knew what the man was talking about, though. He ran a special school and had a doctorate but it would have been in what you'd think of as early days. The acceptance that there could be a range of autism that was wider than hitherto thought was relatively new then. It looks as though the terminology has changed a lot in the last few years. Perhaps that's the difference. The vocabulary seems more pinned down which to me must be better.

That part of the diagnosis about hindering functioning or causing distress wasn't specified in my working lifetime and to me it seems very helpful.  Young Sheldon says, 'I'm having a hard time adjusting to Earth'. So far as he's concerned at the age of nine, the world makes life difficult for him to understand. It somehow isn't as it's supposed to be and he doesn't know why, nor why other people are OK with it. At that point he's distressed. He copes by supposing he's the one who's right and everything or everyone that counteracts or contradicts his view is wrong. 

When he's in his thirties we see him begin to realise not all the issues/faults are external and he acknowledges that. He tells Penny and Leonard about his difficulties. Amy doesn't need telling. Sometimes Sheldon wants to get control and learn what is and isn't acceptable and sometimes he doesn't care. He was never written as a person with much generosity of spirit, even as a child.

I'd be intetested to know what Raj's diagnoses were when he was growing up. 

• Like 1

Yeah. That.
And there’s the chafing. 

Post of the long, long, long (permanent) hiatus!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'd be intetested to know what Raj's diagnoses were when he was growing up. 

Raj had Selective Mutism, they did say that. Did he have other diagnoses as a child? We have zero details, there's no Young Raj show and we weren't given much detail about his childhood on TBBT. He doesn't have ASD though and I dare say I'm 98% sure he didn't as a child.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Raj had Selective Mutism, they did say that. Did he have other diagnoses as a child? We have zero details, there's no Young Raj show and we weren't given much detail about his childhood on TBBT. He doesn't have ASD though and I dare say I'm 98% sure he didn't as a child.

Raj told Lucy he had 'psychologically diagnosable conditions' - or similar words. I'd like to know what caused his mutism and the anxiety that made him say stupid things in new social situations. We know he went to a high school 'for well-born boys' where he had somehow got away with not learning Hindi (some people are not good linguists. In Wales many schoolchildren just can't pick up Welsh and in England some native speakers of 'community' languages have a lot of difficulty learning English at school ) and yet as an adult he made friends with a competent polyglot. He and his friends dressed as superheroes and patrolled the town when they were not as young as they should have been. That's not much and his own versions of his youth could be as inaccurate as Sheldon's. I'd love a 'Young Raj' series to see what his life was like. He was obviously not the only highly-educable child in the family and there were few if any financial restrictions on what he could do, so his secondary psycho-social issues must have been very different from Sheldon's.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, chucky said:

Very good question

Waste of time...later

• Make a lot more sense than that 1

2 minutes ago, shell said:

Waste of time...later

I don't think so, but, oh well!

Didn't Amy and Sheldon have sex before they were married? Why aren't you calling her(them) out for that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Raj told Lucy he had 'psychologically diagnosable conditions' - or similar words. I'd like to know what caused his mutism and the anxiety that made him say stupid things in new social situations. We know he went to a high school 'for well-born boys' where he had somehow got away with not learning Hindi (some people are not good linguists. In Wales many schoolchildren just can't pick up Welsh and in England some native speakers of 'community' languages have a lot of difficulty learning English at school ) and yet as an adult he made friends with a competent polyglot. He and his friends dressed as superheroes and patrolled the town when they were not as young as they should have been. That's not much and his own versions of his youth could be as inaccurate as Sheldon's. I'd love a 'Young Raj' series to see what his life was like. He was obviously not the only highly-educable child in the family and there were few if any financial restrictions on what he could do, so his secondary psycho-social issues must have been very different from Sheldon's.

He did get over his selective mutism when Penny visited him after his break-up with Lucy but it came back when he was about to engage in sex with Anu. So, maybe his anxiety with women trigger his mutism.  However, he did not have a problem when he dated two women:  Emily and Claire......so whose to know what goes on in his head

Discussion about topics, not directly related to season 12, have been moved to the Chit Chat thread.  

• Like 2