The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, chucky said:

Personally, I don't watch The Conners or YS. All I've seen of those shows are the commercials. I don't watch YS because lt's different from what we've learned, from Sheldon himself, about his childhood. But, that's just me. I'm sure others will disagree and I'm good with that.

I can't think of any differences off-hand. Which ones have you noticed ?

Just now, joyceraye said:

I can't think of any differences off-hand. Which ones have you noticed ?

The Conners, not so much. YS, everything related to George Sr. As I've said, I don't watch the show. I base my opinion on what friends say and the commercials.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chucky said:

I guess we're spoiled here in the States as we can get comics of just about every single character. Not that I read comics anymore.

I was filled with envy when I saw there was a whole shop for the TBBT lads, full of new comic-books every Wednesday. And then I discovered there was another one when Stuart needed to source an edition for Bernadette. They must be everywhere in the US. When I was comic-buying age I had comics like School Friend, Girls' Crystal, Girl, Topper, Beano, Bunty and Dandy. These had a different character on every page. There was Desparate Dan, Lord Snooty and his Pals, Dennis The Menace, Keyhole Kate, Minnie the Minx, Jimmy and his Magic Patch, Little Plum Your Eskimo Chum, The Silent Three, The Four Marys and many more. We used to swap comics with one another, including girls' comics for boys' ones. They were mainly weekly and delivered by the paper boy with the newspaper on its day or the day before. There were 'annuals' which were book versions of the comics that came out once a year. I used to buy those with my birthday and Christmas money but the weekly comics went onto my parents' weekly paper bill.

DC comics and so on were hard to come by in those days. Availability was random. They were used as ballast in cargo ships and when they landed at ports some were rescued  and sold to warehouses for distribution to newsagents rather than thrown away. There was no getting them in any particular order. I don't know how it works these days.

23 minutes ago, chucky said:

The Conners, not so much. YS, everything related to George Sr. As I've said, I don't watch the show. I base my opinion on what friends say and the commercials.

In YS George Snr has another four years or so to live. The implosion of the marriage and his excessive drinking, his womanising, getting a low-level job and the stealing talked about by adult Sheldon - assuming adult Sheldon was telling the truth - can still happen. So far he likes his beer, goes fishing, watches baseball and sits in front of the TV watching football. This is how I imagined him from TBBT.  He teaches games at the High School and runs their football team.

I haven’t watched much TV since Big Bang Theory officially ended. I watch most of my TV online now anyway. But TBBT was one of the only shows I still watched on TV. Being a traditionalist. TV ain’t the same anymore. I can always rely on those Tbbt re runs on Netflix haha. YS I haven’t gotten around to watching. Connors too. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I was filled with envy when I saw there was a whole shop for the TBBT lads, full of new comic-books every Wednesday. And then I discovered there was another one when Stuart needed to source an edition for Bernadette. They must be everywhere in the US.

They are in every city. Depending on the size of the city, there are multiple stores.

19 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I haven’t watched much TV since Big Bang Theory officially ended. I watch most of my TV online now anyway. But TBBT was one of the only shows I still watched on TV. Being a traditionalist. TV ain’t the same anymore. I can always rely on those Tbbt re runs on Netflix haha. YS I haven’t gotten around to watching. Connors too. 

Totally agree!

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, joyceraye said:

Same here. I've tried The Conners but it's a bit too serious and sordid to get me hooked. The interesting thing is, we saw some of the adults when they were children and it's the same cast playing them, now grown up. The adults then are older but not greatly changed. The new cast members are children. Some of the cast members have been in TBBT - I recognise at least four.

I never watched it until this week. I heard about the live action episode and decided to watch it. It had a few funny moments. But since I didn't know what was going on I wasn't attuned to it all.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I never watched it until this week. I heard about the live action episode and decided to watch it. It had a few funny moments. But since I didn't know what was going on I wasn't attuned to it all.

I tried watching an episode of The Connors, I lasted about 6 or 7 minuets and I was done.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I didn't follow all of it because it was about an American election and I had very little idea of what was going on.

1 hour ago, chucky said:

I tried watching an episode of The Connors, I lasted about 6 or 7 minuets and I was done.

I'm persevering. Because of the TBBT connections I'm hoping it might eventually appeal to me. I'm afraid I don't know what's supposed to be funny, but that might be because I don't recognise some references. 

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I didn't follow all of it because it was about an American election and I had very little idea of what was going on.

I'm persevering. Because of the TBBT connections I'm hoping it might eventually appeal to me. I'm afraid I don't know what's supposed to be funny, but that might be because I don't recognise some references. 

I do recognize the references and the supposed funny parts and I found myself yawning and bored. that was enough for me. 

On 2/15/2020 at 3:49 PM, joyceraye said:

Roseanne was a very popular sitcom in the 90s. And if your taste very good. Today’s climate prob Diddnt suit it. Connors is like if they tried to continue Tbbt without Jim or Johnny. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Roseanne was a very popular sitcom in the 90s. And if your taste very good. Today’s climate prob Diddnt suit it. Connors is like if they tried to continue Tbbt without Jim or Johnny. 

True!!

I loved Leonard and Penny with all my heart. But rewatching Adhesive Duck Deficiency. Sheldon and Penny were comedic gold. Prob the funniest moment of the series. Funny Friends was always my favourite sitcom of all time. But stuff like this is why I always gravitated towards Tbbt. The unique storytelling. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, 3ku11 said:

I loved Leonard and Penny with all my heart. But rewatching Adhesive Duck Deficiency. Sheldon and Penny were comedic gold. Prob the funniest moment of the series. Funny Friends was always my favourite sitcom of all time. But stuff like this is why I always gravitated towards Tbbt. The unique storytelling. 

On 2/18/2020 at 12:26 AM, 3ku11 said:

I saw very little of Roseanne when it was on years ago before cable.  When we had three channels,TV companies used to buy American programmes to fill up space. In the late seventies and early eighties, Soap or WKRP in Cincinnati had  the Midlands ITV 10.30 pm slot on Friday nights. My father and I used to watch them together when he came for the weekend. I think Roseanne was on TV when England  went up from three channels to four. I caught it only once or twice. That's why I don't notice the difference in the new series without her. I saw her in the first few episodes of the new series last year before they chucked her out and morphed the series into The Conners. We have a channel now, E4, that shows US sitcoms all day. We don't get The Conners though. It didn't take me long to accept the TBBT actors as other characters.

I'm finding the habit of downloading TV programmes from upload sites  in the early hours too strong to break easily. It's what I do. In the past I've downloaded House, Medium, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Medium, Lily Hammer, Royal Pains, Frasier, Nurse Jackie, TBBT and YS.  When there was  only YS left I sought out The Conners.  Only Frasier and TBBT have established themselves under my skin and taken a  grip on my life. YS might do so.  I miss having a programme to talk about now TBBT has gone. The whole reason I ever went on the internet twenty or so years ago was so I could make contact with anyone who'd been in a studio audience who could tell me what they'd seen. Frasier was my obsession then. I was delighted to find there were such things as chats, mailing lists and forums where not only did audience members write up their experiences, but hundreds of fans talked about what they called the 'show'. (Oh the vocabulary there was to learn !)

It was then I understood how some people could live their whole lives on the computer. When I got the hang of the internet and Frasier ended, I thought I should do for American viewers what they'd done for me and so I set up Inspector Lynley groups and got my own tracker to upload episodes on that hadn't yet been shown over there.  After that was over I fell for TBBT and eight or nine years later came across people talking about it on this forum.  It's hard to let go of the activities associated with it, but most of all I miss the TBBT characters and their comings and goings. I have to watch at least one episode a day. I find myself wondering what they're doing now and giving myself a shock when I remember I'm never going to know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I saw very little of Roseanne when it was on years ago before cable.  When we had three channels,TV companies used to buy American programmes to fill up space. In the late seventies and early eighties, Soap or WKRP in Cincinnati had  the Midlands ITV 10.30 pm slot on Friday nights. My father and I used to watch them together when he came for the weekend. I think Roseanne was on TV when England  went up from three channels to four. I caught it only once or twice. That's why I don't notice the difference in the new series without her. I saw her in the first few episodes of the new series last year before they chucked her out and morphed the series into The Conners. We have a channel now, E4, that shows US sitcoms all day. We don't get The Conners though. It didn't take me long to accept the TBBT actors as other characters.

I'm finding the habit of downloading TV programmes from upload sites  in the early hours too strong to break easily. It's what I do. In the past I've downloaded House, Medium, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Medium, Lily Hammer, Royal Pains, Frasier, Nurse Jackie, TBBT and YS.  When there was  only YS left I sought out The Conners.  Only Frasier and TBBT have established themselves under my skin and taken a  grip on my life. YS might do so.  I miss having a programme to talk about now TBBT has gone. The whole reason I ever went on the internet twenty or so years ago was so I could make contact with anyone who'd been in a studio audience who could tell me what they'd seen. Frasier was my obsession then. I was delighted to find there were such things as chats, mailing lists and forums where not only did audience members write up their experiences, but hundreds of fans talked about what they called the 'show'. (Oh the vocabulary there was to learn !)

It was then I understood how some people could live their whole lives on the computer. When I got the hang of the internet and Frasier ended, I thought I should do for American viewers what they'd done for me and so I set up Inspector Lynley groups and got my own tracker to upload episodes on that hadn't yet been shown over there.  After that was over I fell for TBBT and eight or nine years later came across people talking about it on this forum.  It's hard to let go of the activities associated with it, but most of all I miss the TBBT characters and their comings and goings. I have to watch at least one episode a day. I find myself wondering what they're doing now and giving myself a shock when I remember I'm never going to know.

Yes I still watch reruns of Frasier. It’s returning too. So looking forward to that. 

I said this when the show ended. But what I miss about Tbbt ending. Is not necessarily the show. But the community and the fandom within the show. 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Yes I still watch reruns of Frasier. It’s returning too. So looking forward to that. 

I said this when the show ended. But what I miss about Tbbt ending. Is not necessarily the show. But the community and the fandom within the show. 

The last I heard, Kelsey Grammer was hoping to get a company to make more Frasier. I'm pleased to hear it's happening. I haven't heard any more about  Mayim and Jim's Carla yet. I must watch Miranda to get the idea. I've only seen half an episode.

The community of fans around TBBT I felt made it all the more enjoyable : knowing that millions of others were watching the same thing and were willing to join in talking about the story and discussing it and the characters in detail made it so much more than eight hours of fun a year.

I ask myself how many others watch the last episode of S12 and imagine what they're talking about  in 4A at the end and wonder what they're going to do that evening, and what they'll talk about when they get home.  Will Amy take ownership of Penny's pregnancy,having planned for years for it to co-incide with her own ? How is Leonard's new job going ? Is Raj about to announce he proposed to a woman he met in Stockholm and she's on her way to meet them all ? Are Shamy going to wear their medals for every group meal from now on, or is a photographer from a magazine coming ? The writers said they wanted to leave us imagining their lives continuing as before. They sure did that.

If I had three wishes, the first would be for an animator and the best TBBT writers to carry on the stories. They could stop the characters aging at a certain point, so that there'd be no complaints about they were changing.

Edited by joyceraye
Adding missing sentence
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I ask myself how many others watch the last episode of S12 and imagine what they're talking about  in 4A at the end and wonder what they're going to do that evening, and what they'll talk about when they get home.  Will Amy take ownership of Penny's pregnancy,having planned for years for it to co-incide with her own ? How is Leonard's new job going ? Is Raj about to announce he proposed to a woman he met in Stockholm and she's on her way to meet them all ? Are Shamy going to wear their medals for every group meal from now on, or is a photographer from a magazine coming ? The writers said they wanted to leave us imagining their lives continuing as before. They sure did that.

These are some very good questions indeed. As good as the last two episodes were, they did leave some lingering questions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joyceraye said:

The last I heard, Kelsey Grammer was hoping to get a company to make more Frasier. I'm pleased to hear it's happening. I haven't heard any more about  Mayim and Jim's Carla yet. I must watch Miranda to get the idea. I've only seen half an episode.

The community of fans around TBBT I felt made it all the more enjoyable : knowing that millions of others were watching the same thing and were willing to join in talking about the story and discussing it and the characters in detail made it so much more than eight hours of fun a year.

If I had three wishes, the first would be for an animator and the best TBBT writers to carry on the stories. They could stop the characters aging at a certain point, so that there'd be no complaints about they were changing.

I do miss BBT but the show wasn't great anymore So many episodes in the last one - two seasons I don't even care to re watch. But I especially miss JP I can only find tidbits of what actors that are working with him post. He's such a shy guy. I believe the show he's doing with Mayim he's only producing but not starring in  (Bummer) Hopefully he will though once in a while.

Edited by shell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shell said:

I do miss BBT but the show wasn't great anymore So many episodes in the last three - four seasons I don't even care to re watch

I miss TBBT as well. I do disagree about the greatness of the show in the later years. I watch even the episodes I didn't care for at all. I'm talking about the ones with wayyy to much shamy. I enjoy getting my TBBT fix.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shell said:

I do miss BBT but the show wasn't great anymore So many episodes in the last one - two seasons I don't even care to re watch. But I especially miss JP I can only find tidbits of what actors that are working with him post. He's such a shy guy. I believe the show he's doing with Mayim he's only producing but not starring in  (Bummer) Hopefully he will though once in a while.

Season 1-7 were the prime years. Usually the space I watch. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 4:27 PM, 3ku11 said:

Season 1-7 were the prime years. Usually the space I watch. 

I watch them all, even Season hate (8).

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, chucky said:

I watch them all, even Season hate.

Yeah but I guess post s7. Are in that capacity of show in its twilight years. If I’m watching re runs of the show. Tend to watch season 1 to 7. The most consistent quality. I’m on s3 atm. 

• Like 1

Just now, 3ku11 said:

Yeah but I guess post s7. Are in that capacity of show in its twilight years. If I’m watching re runs of the show. Tend to watch season 1 to 7. The most consistent quality. I’m on s3 atm. 

For me, even the lousey episodes are better than what is usually on tv,

• Like 2