The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

10 hours ago, chucky said:

Leonard was upset that Sheldon was more worried about his getting sick and the fact he completely belittled that Penny was pregnant. When told of the pregnancy his response was good, I'm not going to get sick. No congratulations Leonard, how's Penny. Just, as I said, good I'm not going to get sick. As usual, no regard for anyone but him.

Aha. I get it now. Thanks. 'Congratulations' would have been horrible considering Penny had made clear her decision never to be pregnant, but I see how Leonard saw Sheldon's reaction as self-centred. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

'Congratulations' would have been horrible considering Penny had made clear her decision never to be pregnant,

As Penny was in the bathroom, the congratulations would be to Leonard, who would pass it to Penny. Sheldon knew of Leonard's desire to be  father.

3 hours ago, chucky said:

As Penny was in the bathroom, the congratulations would be to Leonard, who would pass it to Penny. Sheldon knew of Leonard's desire to be  father.

Penny was in the toilet on the plane when Leonard told Sheldon about the pregnancy. The bathroom scenes were later. Sheldon knew by then Penny didn't mind being pregnant but on the plane he still didn't know. What sort of a creep  shows approval of a man who impregnates his wife against her manifest wishes ? Eww. Yuck. Not even Sheldon the Selfish, I hope. As it happened, Sheldon was self-centredly  focussed on not catching a tummy bug that would disrupt the Nobel prize ceremony. Getting a Nobel prize is a big thing. I think he cares enough for Penny to have shown sympathy for her for having an apparently crappy husband at any other time. 

46 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Penny was in the toilet on the plane when Leonard told Sheldon about the pregnancy. The bathroom scenes were later. Sheldon knew by then Penny didn't mind being pregnant but on the plane he still didn't know. What sort of a creep  shows approval of a man who impregnates his wife against her manifest wishes ? Eww. Yuck. Not even Sheldon the Selfish, I hope. As it happened, Sheldon was self-centredly  focussed on not catching a tummy bug that would disrupt the Nobel prize ceremony. Getting a Nobel prize is a big thing. I think he cares enough for Penny to have shown sympathy for her for having an apparently crappy husband at any other time. 

Sheldon was just being his condescending selfish self. He could be congratulating Leonard for being a father. Then Leonard shares the congratulations with Penny. Leonard is the only one who knew Penny was happy about being pregnant. There is nothing wrong with congratulating the father or couple.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Don't know why you are ragging on Leonard. He tried to keep Penny's pregnancy a secret until Sheldon went off on his "What if" scenario and they had to tell him to keep him from jumping out of the plane.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

Don't know why you are ragging on Leonard. He tried to keep Penny's pregnancy a secret until Sheldon went off on his "What if" scenario and they had to tell him to keep him from jumping out of the plane.

True, Penny was there when Sheldon learned about  her being pregnant. If I'm not mistaken, Penny told Sheldon she was pregnant.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Penny had said she didn't want kids. We can't just magically wish that away. It did happen. It could have been good news or bad news. How was Sheldon supposed to know?

Sheldon never cared for anyone but himself, his mom and his meemaw. Penny is the one who told Sheldon she was pregnant on the plane. His only response was good I'm not going to get sick. No congratulations Leonard and Penny. She may have said she didn't want kids, but she did get pregnant. Congratulations was in order. All Sheldon cared about at that time was himself. Which meant, as usual, Sheldon was a crappy friend.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sheldon was not going to congratulate Leonard or Penny on their Chromesomes and Embryos. Bit like in Season 2 'The Maternal Capicatance'. When Beverly was talking about her kids acheivements. Howard: You know, I understand unlike Leonard, they're at the top of their respective fields. Beverley: Leonard's younger brother Michael, is a tenuered law professor at Harvard, and his sister just successfully grew a human pancreas in an adolescent gibbon. Howard: So she's close to curing diabetes? Beverley: Why else would you grow a pancreas in a teenaged gibbon? Howard: Wow you must be very proud. Beverely: Why? They're not my acheivements.

You see just like with Beverely. She did not consider her sons acheivement's her own. Her indifference was built in her design. She lacks the social cognitive dissonance to identify her sons acheivement as her own. Sheldon is an ass, and was probably a bad friend. But he was never going to congratulate Leonard for doing his job. When up to now, the understanding was Penny did not want kids. So I do agree just like with her relationship with Leonard, she embraced the idea of having kids.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Penny had said she didn't want kids. We can't just magically wish that away. It did happen. It could have been good news or bad news. How was Sheldon supposed to know?

It was a touchy subject and Sheldon isn't one for deep conversations. Even the girls weren't all 'That's wonderful!' They were mad because Penny hadn't told them.   I have to admit I might have said almost the same as Sheldon. unless Penny and Leonard showed signs of wanting to open up and discuss why they changed their minds on such a personal subject

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, shell said:

I have to admit I might have said almost the same as Sheldon. unless Penny and Leonard showed signs of wanting to open up and discuss why they changed their minds on such a personal subject

I feel differently on that subject. Anyone could tell Penny was not mad or upset when she told Sheldon she was pregnant. Sheldon should have at least acknowledged their pregnancy, not just say good I wont get sick"  Well, I've ranted enough on this subject and gonna let it go.

Edited by chucky

Sheldon is not good at understanding facial expressions, so I do think it was too much to expect him to realize Penny was excited (the girls did), but he could've at least asked if she was upset. That wouldn't be the best response, for sure, but it is something within Sheldon's capabilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Sheldon is not good at understanding facial expressions, so I do think it was too much to expect him to realize Penny was excited (the girls did), but he could've at least asked if she was upset. That wouldn't be the best response, for sure, but it is something within Sheldon's capabilities.

Almost anything other than "Good I'm not going to get sick"!

2 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

If I can recall Penny never in the whole series said she did not want kids until the infamous 12x3 episode

To me, that was just another stab at Lenny's relationship. The writers did that the whole time they were together with exception of Season 6. There were too many to mention. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shell said:

Even the girls weren't all 'That's wonderful!' They were mad because Penny hadn't told them.  

The beginning of the Penny/Amy conversation was not shown, so we don't know how Amy reacted upon talking to Penny.  Bernadette's firsts reaction to being told was, "That's fantastic," and then she moved onto slapping Penny for not telling her.  

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tensor said:

The beginning of the Penny/Amy conversation was not shown, so we don't know how Amy reacted upon talking to Penny.  Bernadette's firsts reaction to being told was, "That's fantastic," and then she moved onto slapping Penny for not telling her.  

True, their feelings were more hurt about not being told than being mad.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mario D. said:

Penny and Leonard have that conversation you mention....why she did not want to have kids and then when she found out she was pregnant telling Leonard how she felt about it.I guess the writers just didn't know how to write this sensitive and emotional subject. Too bad we all lost out. 

Yeah, we all lost out of an important conversation. But, the question is, did they not know how to write it or just didn't care to write it. I think the writers were too busy writing useless episodes about Shamy's path to the Noble.  We got plenty of descriptions of their wedding planning and their path to the Nobel, but not one minute of discussion by Leonard and Penny about her issues for not wanting to pregnant. I guess we have to satisfied that she did get pregnant in the end. I was totally sure that dear sweet Amy would be pregnant instead of Penny. They got every other story line, why not that as well?

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Tbf not that I agree with that decision. But the longest story arch of the last season was The Shamy Nobel Piece Prize plot. So it was always going to be the backdrop to the series final. You also got personally I thought one of the most impactful moments of the entire series. Sheldons speech. I would normally be like. Just like on Sheldons Birthday. In the 200th episode (that was an abomination). Sheldon the focus again. But this was very surprising. Seeing Sheldon acknowledge everyone in his life. Particularly Leonard. And see him finally be self aware. Made me realise. We’ve been criticising the direction of the Sheldon Cooper character. From going, from Deadpan to Comic like. But it truely was like seeing Spock becoming human. Or ET. I remember that quote from Penny in The Adhesive Duck Deficiency. “You know everyone thinks, your this weird, annoying Robot Man. And you so are. But then your so full of love”. I thought of that scene in the finalie lol. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Tbf not that I agree with that decision. But the longest story arch of the last season was The Shamy Nobel Piece Prize plot. So it was always going to be the backdrop to the series final. You also got personally I thought one of the most impactful moments of the entire series. Sheldons speech. I would normally be like. Just like on Sheldons Birthday. In the 200th episode (that was an abomination). Sheldon the focus again. But this was very surprising. Seeing Sheldon acknowledge everyone in his life. Particularly Leonard. And see him finally be self aware. Made me realise. We’ve been criticising the direction of the Sheldon Cooper character. From going, from Deadpan to Comic like. But it truely was like seeing Spock becoming human. Or ET. I remember that quote from Penny in The Adhesive Duck Deficiency. “You know everyone thinks, your this weird, annoying Robot Man. And you so are. But then your so full of love”. I thought of that scene in the finalie lol. 

What you say is true and the final scenes were impactful and compelling, but why did it take the final scene in the fianl episode to make Sheldon realize how important  his friends were to him?

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

What you say is true and the final scenes were impactful and compelling, but why did it take the final scene in the fianl episode to make Sheldon realize how important  his friends were to him?

I've been asking myself that same question!

On 3/15/2020 at 6:17 AM, 3ku11 said:

I agree with the last half of your post but I loved the 200th episode, Loved all the guests and thought it was a great moment between Penny and Sheldon. The 100th episode I thought was rather boring. 

1 hour ago, shell said:

I agree with the last half of your post but I loved the 200th episode, Loved all the guests and thought it was a great moment between Penny and Sheldon. The 100th episode I thought was rather boring. 

Personally, I didn't care for the 200th episode at all. The only bright spot was Adam West.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, chucky said:

Personally, I didn't care for the 200th episode at all. The only bright spot was Adam West.

It was an unnecessary Sheldon love-fest....my opinion only.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

It was an unnecessary Sheldon love-fest....my opinion only.

My opinion as well.

47 minutes ago, chucky said:

My opinion as well.

Totally agree

1 hour ago, chucky said:

I think the best part was seeing Penny in that dress!