Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I enjoy looking on the forum everyday as well. Sharing ideas and upcoming events of the cast.  Speaking of reruns, I happen to watch S6 E18 when the boys go to middle school to recruit young femaies into science and the girls give dating advice to Raj. I still am appalled every time I hear the lines from Penny about how she played hooky  and ended up in a motel with "a 34 year old guy named Luther" Just disgraceful how the writers would think this was funny as Penny had to be a teenager at the time in high school.

Clearly they thought the promiscuous Penny jokes were funny. But they wore thin pretty quickly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Clearly they thought the promiscuous Penny jokes were funny. But they wore thin pretty quickly. 

That instance was the worst, but there were others as well. The make sure your clothes are back on before you came out of the tunnel of love and the 36 hour sex to get over a breakup. Those are just a couple.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chucky said:

That instance was the worst, but there were others as well. The make sure your clothes are back on before you came out of the tunnel of love and the 36 hour sex to get over a breakup. Those are just a couple.

What about Sheldon's calculations of 193 men she dated and the 30.6 = 31 men she supposedly had sex with.  Clearly he was wrong but they made it out where Penny had to think about it.  Also, when Sheldon questioned Penny about her "checkered past" or when he and Amy moved into apt. 4B Sheldon remarked that plenty of men have been in Penny's bed. And this was when Leonard and Penny were married!  I would have liked Leonard to defend his wife in these instances but he just wimped out. So clearly the writers did not ease up on these jokes, 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

What about Sheldon's calculations of 193 men she dated and the 30.6 = 31 men she supposedly had sex with.  Clearly he was wrong but they made it out where Penny had to think about it.  Also, when Sheldon questioned Penny about her "checkered past" or when he and Amy moved into apt. 4B Sheldon remarked that plenty of men have been in Penny's bed. And this was when Leonard and Penny were married!  I would have liked Leonard to defend his wife in these instances but he just wimped out. So clearly the writers did not ease up on these jokes, 

Eased up a bit for sure. Sheldon had his head up his butt. He forgot that Penny was with Kurt for four years and with Leonard for about 8 months, so the amount of men would be considerably less than 193. Sheldon seems to have memory that eludes him from time to time. In my opinion, with Sheldon's supposedly eidec menmory, he did this numbers game to knowingly insult Penny. The same with the comment of "plenty of men have been in her bed".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chucky said:

Eased up a bit for sure. Sheldon had his head up his butt. He forgot that Penny was with Kurt for four years and with Leonard for about 8 months, so the amount of men would be considerably less than 193. Sheldon seems to have memory that eludes him from time to time. In my opinion, with Sheldon's supposedly eidec menmory, he did this numbers game to knowingly insult Penny. The same with the comment of "plenty of men have been in her bed".

As usual Sheldon hears what he wants to hear and says what he thinks without any factual evidence. And of course throwing insults does not faze him in the least.

  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 8:17 AM, Mario D. said:

So clearly the writers did not ease up on these jokes, 

The writers loved those jokes, just like they loved the fat jokes about Howard's mom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

The writers loved those jokes, just like they loved the fat jokes about Howard's mom.

They eased up a tad, because they thought the arguments and tension between Leonard and Penny were funnier.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, Mario D. said:

As usual Sheldon hears what he wants to hear and says what he thinks without any factual evidence. And of course throwing insults does not faze him in the least.

So very true. That was his forte.

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

The writers loved those jokes, just like they loved the fat jokes about Howard's mom.

Yeah they did, but after awhile they got old and after Penny and Leonard were married they really were not funny anymore nor necessary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

after awhile they got old and after Penny and Leonard were married they really were not funny anymore nor necessary

Personnally, I never thought they were either funny or necessary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 9:17 AM, Mario D. said:

What about Sheldon's calculations of 193 men she dated and the 30.6 = 31 men she supposedly had sex with.  Clearly he was wrong but they made it out where Penny had to think about it.  Also, when Sheldon questioned Penny about her "checkered past" or when he and Amy moved into apt. 4B Sheldon remarked that plenty of men have been in Penny's bed. And this was when Leonard and Penny were married!  I would have liked Leonard to defend his wife in these instances but he just wimped out. So clearly the writers did not ease up on these jokes, 

The problem with Sheldon's calculation is that he mentions a Bell Curve, (it looks like a bell)  and uses the left side to the top, as a total of 193 men.  Sheldon talks about the bell curve rising on the left (the rising part of the curve)   The problem, as chucky said, is that her dating pattern was not a bell curve.  From 17 to 25 is eight years (or 96 months).  She was with Kurt for four years (48 months)  Mike for four months (show time), Leonard for nine months, and she mentioned she hadn't had sex in six months in the Barbarian episode.  Also, she dated Zack on and off for about six months.  Total all that up and you get 73 months out of those 96 where she was either committed or abstinent.   Those times were do not make a smoothly rising Bell Curve, hence Sheldon's math is wrong.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the math bothered me more then Penny is promiscuous. 

  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tensor said:

The problem with Sheldon's calculation is that he mentions a Bell Curve, (it looks like a bell)  and uses the left side to the top, as a total of 193 men.  Sheldon talks about the bell curve rising on the left (the rising part of the curve)   The problem, as chucky said, is that her dating pattern was not a bell curve.  From 17 to 25 is eight years (or 96 months).  She was with Kurt for four years (48 months)  Mike for four months (show time), Leonard for nine months, and she mentioned she hadn't had sex in six months in the Barbarian episode.  Also, she dated Zack on and off for about six months.  Total all that up and you get 73 months out of those 96 where she was either committed or abstinent.   Those times were do not make a smoothly rising Bell Curve, hence Sheldon's math is wrong.  

 

Thank you. I knew his math was wrong. I'm glad you proved it. Penny was wild in high school and did some seriously dumb things as an adult. But as you pointed out, she was never with 193 men. I think that's hard to do in 8 years. Her having sex with 31 men in that time frame is ridiculous as well, considering her relationship time frames.

7 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah the math bothered me more then Penny is promiscuous. 

Yeah, his math was flawed as Tensor pointed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tensor said:

The problem with Sheldon's calculation is th, Sheldon's at he mentions a Bell Curve, (it looks like a bell)  and uses the left side to the top, as a total of 193 men.  Sheldon talks about the bell curve rising on the left (the rising part of the curve)   The problem, as chucky said, is that her dating pattern was not a bell curve.  From 17 to 25 is eight years (or 96 months).  She was with Kurt for four years (48 months)  Mike for four months (show time), Leonard for nine months, and she mentioned she hadn't had sex in six months in the Barbarian episode.  Also, she dated Zack on and off for about six months.  Total all that up and you get 73 months out of those 96 where she was either committed or abstinent.   Those times were do not make a smoothly rising Bell Curve, hence Sheldon's math is wrong.  

 

Always enjoy your explanations. Yes, Sheldon's calculations were way off and I assume just to insult and embarrass Penny (if he even knew that)  I wondered why Penny just didn't get up and walk out and have Sheldon find his own way home! It would have been sweet justice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mario D. said:

I wondered why Penny just didn't get up and walk out and have Sheldon find his own way home! It would have been sweet justice

I have often thought the same thing. I'm guessing that wouldn't have been funny to the writers.

Edited by chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 2:03 AM, chucky said:

I have often thought the same thing. I'm guessing that wouldn't have been funny to the writers.

Hey there. Wow. I ducked back in for a look and saw the “Luther” issue got a bump. From 2013. 
 

I’d just like to add still I wonder how much it was the writers entertaining themselves, or some editorially embedded misogyny, or some unconsciously embedded misogyny, or if they thought they were pandering to some market demand. Or that it was comedy serving a higher purpose, holding up a mirror to reflect some of the truths about how people behave badly (grab ‘em... etc).
 

The show didn’t do much signalling, so it was perhaps just something unsavoury that leaked out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Hey there. Wow. I ducked back in for a look and saw the “Luther” issue got a bump. From 2013. 
 

I’d just like to add still I wonder how much it was the writers entertaining themselves, or some editorially embedded misogyny, or some unconsciously embedded misogyny, or if they thought they were pandering to some market demand. Or that it was comedy serving a higher purpose, holding up a mirror to reflect some of the truths about how people behave badly (grab ‘em... etc).
 

The show didn’t do much signalling, so it was perhaps just something unsavoury that leaked out.

 

Personally, I feel the writers were getting a few laughs at Penny's expense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chucky said:

Personally, I feel the writers were getting a few laughs at Penny's expense.

Yes. Unsavoury laughs. The misfortunes of young women falling into bad situations are poor joke fodder. One step away from a Criminal Minds cold open. So many steps too far for light family comedy. What were they thinking?

 They could carry off a good fart joke though. Cruciferous Vegetables was very funny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Yes. Unsavoury laughs. The misfortunes of young women falling into bad situations are poor joke fodder. One step away from a Criminal Minds cold open. So many steps too far for light family comedy. What were they thinking?

 They could carry off a good fart joke though. Cruciferous Vegetables was very funny.

Yeah, so very true.  😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Yes. Unsavoury laughs. The misfortunes of young women falling into bad situations are poor joke fodder. One step away from a Criminal Minds cold open. So many steps too far for light family comedy. What were they thinking?

 They could carry off a good fart joke though. Cruciferous Vegetables was very funny.

Yes I could never understand that joke about Luther. It was disgraceful, demeaning and was not funny or laughable. The writers did so much to promote Penny's promiscuousness even adding insult to injury with Sheldon's sexual insults. I could never comprehend why they had to continue with those lame jokes even after Penny and Leonard were engaged and then married. They were supposed to be his dearest friends but that did not stop him from throwing those insults. I know many people say Sheldon didn't mean it but he still said them and I believe he really knew what he was doing. I agree with you that they were in poor taste and written just for the laugh factor.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

I know many people say Sheldon didn't mean it but he still said them and I believe he really knew what he was doing

Sheldon himself stated "He said what he meant and meant what he said"! That ends the so called didn't mean what he said theory.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The jokes about Penny being a drunk who sleep around did get old after awhile.

 

But it is a Chuck Lorre show and that is his kind of humor. Make one character the butt of bad or nasty  jokes especially about their appearances.  on Two and Half Men it was Charlie and Alan Mom . On Lorre sitcom  "Mom" it Wendy who is often the but of jokes.  

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

But it is a Chuck Lorre show and that is his kind of humor. Make one character the butt of bad or nasty  jokes especially about their appearances.  on Two and Half Men it was Charlie and Alan Mom . On Lorre sitcom  "Mom" it Wendy who is often the but of jokes.

Be that as it may, even Chuck should have seen the writing on the wall concerning this character assassination. I'm sure that could have gotten the same message across without the indepth descriptions.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same with Passive Agressive Bernadette.  They toned her demeanor down after a while. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Same with Passive Agressive Bernadette.  They toned her demeanor down after a while. 

Yeah, they over emphasized her agressive behavior.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.