[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Tensor

3 hours ago, bfm said:

The real reason is they didn't want to give her a maiden name. The in-story excuse they could make is that she either didn't like her maiden name, it was too long hyphenated and she wanted to have the same name as Leonard and/or her future child/ren, or that she is more traditional in that aspect.

Sounds plausible. 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From a quick internet search....

Penny is an English pet form of Penelope. Penelope, in turn, is a Greek name (Πηνελοπη), most likely derived from “pēnē” meaning “weft” (a piece of woven cloth) combined with “lepō” meaning “peel” – in other words, unweave a piece of woven cloth. This etymology makes perfect sense if you’re familiar with Penelope’s story in Greek Mythology.  Penelope was married to Odysseus. She waited 20 years for his return from his travels and spent her evenings weaving and unweaving while she waited .  So the character of Penelope in Greek Mythology is also synonymous with being a patient and faithful wife. The name Penelope first appeared in England in the 16th century, and the diminutive “Penny” followed soon after. 

I looked up a list of popular baby names from the 60s (some names rather novel in the 60s).

Penelope is 578 on the list.

Penny is 104.

So Penny was more common.

http://www.baby2see.com/names/1960s.html 

In the 1980s Penny was 679.

Penelope is not on the top 1000 list for the 80s.

http://www.baby2see.com/names/1980s.html 

25 minutes ago, chucky said:

I agree.People come up with crazy names fir their kids. Some Penny's could be named for the 1 cent coin!

I just did a look up...

the world of adventurous baby naming in 2017.

A few parents made bold power plays for their babies, choosing Pharoah, Emperor, Dynasty, and Queenie, while some stayed grounded with Lake, Woods, and Fox or floated away with Oceana. Foodies added some flavor (Ginger, Saffron, Miso), Harry Potter fans paid homage (Severus, Albus, Minerva), and mountaineers set their sights high (Everest, Rainier, Zenith). Other moms and dads envisioned abundance (Lux, Fortune, Prosper, Heiress), virtues and values to strive for (Freedom, Truth, Wisdom), and the cosmos (Andromeda, Celestial, Gemini, Starla).
https://www.babycenter.com/0_unusual-and-surprising-baby-names_10388919.bc

Edited by djsurrey

One of my midwife friends put her foot down with  firm hand when a Mr and Mrs Sandwich wanted to register their son's name as Ham. They already had a Japheth and  a Shem and weren't thinking clearly when they thought they'd just carry on. Whether like Sheldon's mother they believed ' All the animals in the world got onto one boat' wasn't noted.

19 hours ago, Jonny said:

Farscape was IMO a better show than Firefly, should have had more seasons.

And "Made in Australia" I believe (Cultural cringe might be why I never got on board, but maybe it'll be something to catch in the future. I did get hooked on Fringe well after its broadcast run and it headlined two Australians).  I really liked the characters in Firefly. I now enjoy spotting the actors pop up on each other's later shows.

But my point was about how relatively lucky we are to have (13 or) 12 seasons of TBBT, where so many avenues have been explored that they sometimes have to backtrack and do-over to go forward - Sheldon's florescence for example.

For the wrap:- 

I'm for an L/P uptick - as long as we see them having a good time and being happy and funny, I'll likely be content. More casual physical indications that they are a "happily married" couple would be good. That part being absent spoils the illusion for me. 

Not sure about piano dropping. That's been done. But I'd root for a collegial, ensemble climax (like the Howard space launch) rather than a single hero or spoiler (*cough* S6 final) outcome. Though I'd bet a dollar that Sheldon will have the last line.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
People were saying

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

I looked up a list of popular baby names from the 60s (some names rather novel in the 60s).

Penny is 104.

I just did a look up...

How about Kim and Kanya's child "North"?

56 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I just want to see Kaley playing out pregnant Penny

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW6cvAGC9PoSQWzU1JR79

TBH I actually wished Lenny never got married. And got married in the series final. But that is just me. 

The Lenny relationship as is is being stretched to the max. They should been married four years ago. Since they put themback together in Season 5 there was no way of breaking them up. I can understand conplaints about the lead up to and actual  wedding but when it happened IMO wasn’t the problem. Knowing you are a Friends fan Ross and Rachel break up story was easier to hide than Lenny because TBBT characters aren’t equals . Now it seems TPTB need to hurry 3+ years of storylines for Lenny into one season 

21 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The Lenny relationship as is is being stretched to the max. They should been married four years ago. Since they put themback together in Season 5 there was no way of breaking them up. I can understand conplaints about the lead up to and actual  wedding but when it happened IMO wasn’t the problem. Knowing you are a Friends fan Ross and Rachel break up story was easier to hide than Lenny because TBBT characters aren’t equals . Now it seems TPTB need to hurry 3+ years of storylines for Lenny into one season 

Ross and Rachel were not together for like 7 seasons too. Leonard and Penny only 2 seasons. So different to some degree. 

I see your point though. Imagine they never broke up in S3. All the character development in S6. Maybe forced into the final season. So I Think S6 was like the peak of story telling for Lenny. IT doesent help either. Theirs like 3 couples now. First 5 seasons. It was just Leonard and Penny, and Sheldon/Howard/Raj. So I Think the writers really struggled to accomodate all the characters. 

3 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

And "Made in Australia" I believe (Cultural cringe might be why I never got on board, but maybe it'll be something to catch in the future. I did get hooked on Fringe well after its broadcast run and it headlined two Australians).  I really liked the characters in Firefly. I now enjoy spotting the actors pop up on each other's later shows.

But my point was about how relatively lucky we are to have 13 seasons of TBBT, where so many avenues have been explored that they sometimes have to backtrack and do-over to go forward - Sheldon's florescence for example.

For the wrap:- 

I'm for an L/P uptick - as long as we see them having a good time and being happy and funny, I'll likely be content. More casual physical indications that they are a "happily married" couple would be good. That part being absent spoils the illusion for me. 

Not sure about piano dropping. That's been done. But I'd root for a collegial, ensemble climax (like the Howard space launch) rather than a single hero or spoiler (*cough* S6 final) outcome. Though I'd bet a dollar that Sheldon will have the last line.

Hhhhhmmmm you mean twelve seasons, right?

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

Ross and Rachel were not together for like 7 seasons too. Leonard and Penny only 2 seasons. So different to some degree. 

I see your point though. Imagine they never broke up in S3. All the character development in S6. Maybe forced into the final season. So I Think S6 was like the peak of story telling for Lenny. IT doesent help either. Theirs like 3 couples now. First 5 seasons. It was just Leonard and Penny, and Sheldon/Howard/Raj. So I Think the writers really struggled to accomodate all the characters. 

The thing is the show for Lenny could of ended after 10 seasons. Unlike Friends TBBT could only keep Lenny apart so long. Priya worked well for half of season 4 and a couple episodes of season 5. TBTB got as much out of that story as possible. The thing is they couldn’t just have them hanging out together. As you stated and I agree Lenny’s  best season out of the last 8 was season 6. Since then the Lenny train as been in a free fall. Season 11 was a little better than 10 but that doesn’t say much. You would hope since 12 is the last it got to be better

46 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Hhhhhmmmm you mean twelve seasons, right?

Isn’t it 13? It feels like it. I kind of expected to be. I’ve been persuaded it should have been. People are saying it’s the 13th season. My friends told me. It was the best season.  Best ever. Don’t listen to the MSM. What you are reading here is not what is happening 

(looks at thread title - facepalms)

They counted wrong. It’s the 13th. Definitely. We know this for a fact. Look over there (while I edit)

It’s always been 12. I took off my shoes to check. :) 

Edited by Nogravitasatall

1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Isn’t it 13? It feels like it. I kind of expected to be. I’ve been persuaded it should have been. People are saying it’s the 13th season. My friends told me. It was the best season.  Best ever. Don’t listen to the MSM. What you are reading here is not what is happening 

(looks at thread title - facepalms)

They counted wrong. It’s the 13th. Definitely. We know this for a fact. Look over there (while I edit)

It’s always been 12. I took off my shoes to check. :) 

Okay Dokey

9 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

But my point was about how relatively lucky we are to have (13 or) 12 seasons of TBBT, where so many avenues have been explored that they sometimes have to backtrack and do-over to go forward - Sheldon's florescence for example.

Henson's puppets are the usual 'I couldn't get into Farscape' excuse lol.  Even though after half a season you kind of stop seeing them as that as they were so developed as characters, plus it is better than any CGI they could have done.

I fully understood your point, been many series over the decades that didn't get as many series that they perhaps could have done and perhaps we might think of them differently if they had.  In that regards, we are lucky we got 12 with TBBT.

I accept the decision for what it is, how it played out is now fueling my disappointment.

Edited by Jonny

11 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Penny is 104.

I just did a look up...

22 years in Education... where do I begin?  I've seen Mi'Lord, Lovengod, Shanntaqwayla, Mister, SirGregory, Edquisha.  I could go on and on...

Besides Penny having his first kid, my BIG wish is to see the guys 10 years later in brief vignettes to see where they went long after the show ended. Lenny with their small kids, Sheldon with his Nobel Prize, Amy with her and Sheldon's kids, the older Wolowitz kids and Raj's family. THAT IS MY WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, bbtfan07 said:

Besides Penny having his first kid, my BIG wish is to see the guys 10 years later in brief vignettes to see where they went long after the show ended. Lenny with their small kids, Sheldon with his Nobel Prize, Amy with her and Sheldon's kids, the older Wolowitz kids and Raj's family. THAT IS MY WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, but I see no Nobel for Sheldon unless it's shared with Leonard!

36 minutes ago, chucky said:

Nice, but I see no Nobel for Sheldon unless it's shared with Leonard!

I see no nobel for neither, unless it's in a flash forward. But as I said I don't like an ending that is over the top good. I think a nobel would be too much.

I don’t see penny getting pregnant during season 12 it’s just the whole topic is boring. I can remember that during Bernadette’s pregnancy, the whole story line was lifeless and the producers promised a really good season

7 minutes ago, Burberry said:

I don’t see penny getting pregnant during season 12 it’s just the whole topic is boring. I can remember that during Bernadette’s pregnancy, the whole story line was lifeless and the producers promised a really good season

They say that every year. I have been waiting for a real good season since season 6