[Spoilers] Season 12 Discussion Thread

Tensor

Yeah I diddn't find Katy Seagal as Pennys mother all that beleivable. Which is odd because the actors have chemistry. From their time on 8 simple rules. The Brother was a miscast too. Wyatt is the only one I Liked. 

Their is only a few family members the shows got right anyway. Wyatt, Beverly, Mary, George etc. 

OF course Meemaw was the worst ever. I don't get how this show most of the time, the writing is bang on. But others its like they put no effort into any of the characterization. 

As for Lenny. Season 6 was their peak development story wise. I have  never been a huge fan of the Shamy relationship. I find it an unequal relationship. I don't enjoy it that much. I have found the show to be very imbalanced since S7. I preferred Shamy in S4. When they were this weird, quirky, alternative couple. And LP were the romantic hero and heroine of the series. I Think problem too is I like Amy. But Mayim lacks a certain Charisma that Kaley has. That is just my personal point of view. 

I also agree the certain behavoural traits, Sheldon has adopted over the years. Has not been beleivable at all. I always felt when he proposed to Amy. The show was jumping the Shark a bit too. I would of preferred Shamy in an Assexual relationship. It is all become too conventional for me. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Lisa K’s type of personality as written in Friends and Mad About You would have made a more enjoyable type of mom for Penny—what I would have preferred to see.

we'll never know for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

have found the show to be very imbalanced since S7

Hi there, this is not unbalanced the show is simply evolving. For instance if Sheldon stayed the same asexual weirdo till season 12 it would give the show and story a unsatisfactory ending same with Leonard and Penny 

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

also agree the certain behavoural traits, Sheldon has adopted over the years. Has not been beleivable at all. I always felt when he proposed to Amy. The show was jumping the Shark a bit too. I would of preferred Shamy in an Assexual relationship. It is all become too conventional for me. 

Like I said above, the writers and producers are doing this for a reason, to simply evolve the show and make it into a good masterpiece this is the same thing with almost every sitcom or drama or book with every story comes a climax and a resolution if a story did not have these it would not be called a story

Edited by Burberry
  • Like 4
  • Run to India 1

19 minutes ago, Burberry said:

with almost every sitcom or drama or book with every story comes a climax and a resolution

I don't believe that is generally true. I think historically changes were discouraged but I guess I'm thinking back to the 60s and 70s. Episodes tended to be self contained and changes were mostly along the line of character development. The main exception was the characters did age (particularly the kids). I'm not sure when that started to loosen up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burberry said:

Hi there, this is not unbalanced the show is simply evolving. For instance if Sheldon stayed the same asexual weirdo till season 12 it would give the show and story a unsatisfactory ending same with Leonard and Penny 

The show might be evolving or not, that's a matter of perspective. You, however, are wrong: the show is unbalanced. When a character is given exponentially more screen time than all the other leads, and even more than the screen time it had in the past to the detriment of those aforementioned co-stars, then the show becomes unbalanced. What you say in your second sentence is a matter of opinion. I used to like earlier seasons' Sheldon more than I like this Sheldon. He was more special. Now he's almost run of the mill. Certainly no homo-novus, IMO.

• Like 8
  • Run to India 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
13 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I had hoped we'd see more of Raj's dad aside from a few quick shots but if Brian George has a big part in NBC's "I Feel  Bad" now I don't think it's possible. Maybe Mom will come back?

Raj's parents were always a hoot to watch!

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, chucky said:

Raj's parents were always a hoot to watch!

I never saw the point of splitting them up.  It still doesn't seem worth it for the very few funny lines we've ever got out of it. If  his parents' divorce was supposed to be the trigger for Raj's return to type  the script never said so,  although the timing fitted slightly. I thought they were a great double act. 

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I never saw the point of splitting them up.  It still doesn't seem worth it for the very few funny lines we've ever got out of it. If  his parents' divorce was supposed to be the trigger for Raj's return to type  the script never said so,  although the timing fitted slightly. I thought they were a great double act. 

Agreed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vonmar said:

Professor Proton will ghost Sheldon one last time on The Big Bang Theory. Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Bob Newhart will make what will presumably be his final appearance as Arthur Jeffries/Prof Proton during the CBS comedy’s upcoming farewell season.

I wonder what he could do. Either encourage a scientific breakthrough or guide him toward fatherhood I suppose...I hope it's not the latter.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I wonder what he could do. Either encourage a scientific breakthrough or guide him toward fatherhood I suppose...I hope it's not the latter.

There is only so many episodes left. We don’t need more of that Proton crap.

• Run to India 1

8 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

There is only so many episodes left. We don’t need more of that Proton crap.

I’d be braced for a cavalcade of encores. Last drinks! As long as it’s funny, not maudlin, I’d be ok with it. Maybe they can do a Sheldon apology tour as he makes amends for his past. But anything funny would be good. I hope for ridiculous, but I’m expecting sentimental. 

• Like 2

The material they came up with for Christopher Lloyd was IMO terrible.  Newhart's last appearance. was probably his characters weakest.  Though I think the consensus is they did a good job with Kathy Bates and Teller recently.

I've always wondered if it's harder as a team of writers writing for a big name Guest star than it is the usual cast you write for on a regular basis.  I would imagine it is way more difficult.

In terms of other Guest stars I would imagine Baranski and Metcalf are dead certs to make a final appearance this season.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jonny said:

In terms of other Guest stars I would imagine Baranski and Metcalf are dead certs to make a final appearance this season.

I also think Wil Wheaton will make another appearance. It's entirely possible that he'll appear alongside Bob, due to the Professor Proton reboot and all. I love Bob Newhart and am happy to see that the earlier teaser is now confirmed. I'd also love for Sara Gilbert to return as Leslie Winkle. I think it would be great for her and Amy to work on something together.

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Regarding Katey Sagal, I think the problem was the material, not the actress. Same goes for Meemaw. 

I agree. The material was more the problem not her. Katey is a fine actress, I didn't have problem with her as Penny Mother but maybe that because I watch 8 Simple Rules.  

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

/i would be surprised if they don't make at least one guest appearance this season 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I’d be braced for a cavalcade of encores. Last drinks! As long as it’s funny, not maudlin, I’d be ok with it. Maybe they can do a Sheldon apology tour as he makes amends for his past. But anything funny would be good. I hope for ridiculous, but I’m expecting sentimental. 

As far as encores go I'd lover to see Zack hook up with Claire. In the scene about the wine tasting they really seem to hit it off. I think that Zack has been a good enough person that he deserves a good way to tie up his story.

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Regarding Katey Sagal, I think the problem was the material, not the actress. Same goes for Meemaw. 

I agree with you as far as Katey Sagal. While the material they gave Meemaw was not that good I absolutely hated the actress, and would have never been OK with her regardless of the material.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Carlos said:

As far as encores go I'd lover to see Zack hook up with Claire. In the scene about the wine tasting they really seem to hit it off. I think that Zack has been a good enough person that he deserves a good way to tie up his story. ....

Go Zack!

YES. They should hook up everyone. The vet, that guy Cole, the women Raj undressed for in the cafe. President Seibert. The barber’s nephew. Everyone. 

Except Raj...

... gotta leave something in the tank for S13.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2018 at 4:57 PM, Nogravitasatall said:

Thank you for your kind words. I wasn’t  being that original. The Harpo analogy was made by the producers at the show’s debut as a selling point. They later found they needed to tweak the character, because writing in a beer bottle at odd moments was limiting,  so they removed his muteness permanently. 

Yes, Amy had a crush, and a huge reservoir of unrequited sexual yearning, that was looking for an outlet. Sheldon wasn’t quite there yet and Penny is an attractive women, as well as being, at the outset, extremely kindhearted and generous to others. It was a phase, that the writers used for laughs then moved away from, because it had been mined- but if they had wanted they could have left an echo - after all, it is a love than can now speak its name. 

My point was the writers have  play with character as well as situation as they hunt down the laughs and keep the show afloat. They roamed a bit over the course of the run. Sheldon travelled furthest, to my mind.  I think that there could be consensus that the overall direction of travel was towards convention, not away from it.  Maybe it’s growth, maybe it’s conformity. No masturbation jokes anymore, anyway. 

The writers stated when asked “When writing Amy’s character, was it always indented that she was going to be kind of gay for Penny?”  Molaro said it didn’t start off that way and he wanted them to be “besties” and when they started writing the jokes, it “spiraled rapidly out of control.”  Someone who had gone to a taping said they had a “Amy gay for Penny” joke and the audience was silent.  That’s when the jokes instantly died and we didn’t get another one for several seasons.  Prady went on to explain that Amy was going through a delayed adolescence.  So no, it wasn’t a phase.  Just a joke they thought was hilarious (and it was....at first), but grew out of control to the point they were beading a dead horse, still thinking it was hilarious but the audience (at least in the studio) no longer found it funny.  

• Like 3

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked, unlocked and locked this topic