The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Non-Season 12 Show Discussion

This thread is for any Show Discussion, not related to season 12.  If a discussion in a season 12 thread starts discussing something from another season,  it will be moved here.  

Was watching The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary on TBS tonight.   One line struck me in an  ironic sense (although it actually did get a laugh).  On the way to pick up Bernadette, Howard asks Leonard and Penny to "...tell me about the future mother of my children."  

Also kind of funny was Howard asking Bernadette if she likes role playing.  She asked him like Dungeons and Dragons or in the bedroom.  Howard says either, and Bernie says no.   But she seemed to enjoy the D & D game in 6-23 and we've heard her talk about her playing a sexy cardiologist and she has dressed up like a Catholic school girl.  Although she wasn't too happy about the latter.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tensor said:

Was watching The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary on TBS tonight.   One line struck me in an  ironic sense (although it actually did get a laugh).  On the way to pick up Bernadette, Howard asks Leonard and Penny to "...tell me about the future mother of my children."  

Also kind of funny was Howard asking Bernadette if she likes role playing.  She asked him like Dungeons and Dragons or in the bedroom.  Howard says either, and Bernie says no.   But she seemed to enjoy the D & D game in 6-23 and we've heard her talk about her playing a sexy cardiologist and she has dressed up like a Catholic school girl.  Although she wasn't too happy about the latter.    

After the opening part of the date, who would have thought creepy Howard and goody two shoes Bernadette would bond over their mothers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfm said:

Or maybe Leonard pays someone to fix the elevator for her and then we'll have a bitching Sheldon when he finds out about all the changes that happened while he was away on a train honeymoon or whatever. I don't know if Leonard could bare seeing his pregnant wife suffering with the stairs all because of him.

Maybe he could ask Howard to fix. He could install a rocket drive right underneath the elevator cabin. 4 floors in 4 minutes should be quick enough, in case Penny has to pee, because the baby is pressing on her bladder. :biggrin:

And when she´s in labour the elevator cabin drives up to the ceiling, the ceiling opens, a flag window in the elevator cabin appears, rotors are spreading out of the elevator cabin and Leonard navigates the elecopter to the hospital with his mobile phone. (The writers can hire the crew who is responsible for the special effects at Game of Thrones :biggrin:)

• Haha 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Desdemona said:

Maybe he could ask Howard to fix. He could install a rocket drive right underneath the elevator cabin. 4 floors in 4 minutes should be quick enough, in case Penny has to pee, because the baby is pressing on her bladder. :biggrin:

And when she´s in labour the elevator cabin drives up to the ceiling, the ceiling opens, a flag window in the elevator cabin appears, rotors are spreading out of the elevator cabin and Leonard navigates the elecopter to the hospital with his mobile phone. (The writers can hire the crew who is responsible for the special effects at Game of Thrones :biggrin:)

I don't know if I would trust Howard. Remember when he worked on Stephen Hawking's wheelchair he had several parts left over after reassembling what he worked on.  8)

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chucky said:

I don't know if I would trust Howard. Remember when he worked on Stephen Hawking's wheelchair he had several parts left over after reassembling what he worked on.  8)

Oh, I remember, but I guess, they weren´t that important or maybe Howard fixed it later, because Prof. Hawking kept rolling around safely. At least I´ve never heard Howard saying something negative about it. And he was clever enough that the milliary was interested in his guidance system and hired him. It was so good, that they even stole it from him later. 😭 And Amy even entrusts him with her current project, which seems to work pretty well. So he should be able to do it. If they are uncertain, they can let Kripke or Wil Wheaton test it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just now, Desdemona said:

but I guess, they weren´t that important or maybe Howard fixed it later, because Prof. Hawking kept rolling around safely.

Did he? Maybe someone else fixed it for him.  :sungum:

40 minutes ago, chucky said:

Did he? Maybe someone else fixed it for him.  :sungum:

I don´t know for certain. All I know is, that the writers do like to make fun of him being the only one who is not a "Dr." (which he doesn´t need, because he is successfully without it) and they also like to make him fail at little things like the wheel chair or Raj´s drone to make him look stupid, which he isn´t.

But the writers do this with every character. Penny gets these "I care so much about my husband that I don´t even know his birthday or our anniversary, or these awful Leonard jokes about Leonard not being interested in his wife´s hobbies and that he´s only fixated on her appearance. We know that all this is not true, that Howard is a very good engineer and that Lenny do care a lot about each other. Remember Penny´s box with things she got from Leonard, she even kept the pregnancy test, because she can´t throw away anything that has to do with Leonard. And that´s why Leonard loves her, because her love for him lies in the little details she does for him and because of him. I mean, she can just point out her love with just four little words "Because it is you!" or "...because I love you!"  She throws birthday parties for him, she lived with him and his room mate for years, she never says a bad word about him in front of his mother, she gives him cute gifts and wishes him luck for his voyage, while she is devastated deep inside, because she doesn´t want him to leave, she misses him terribly when he´s not around (North Pole and North Sea) and gets passionate and excited when he returns. I could go on with my list, but I´m tired and I need to go to bed, but I hope you get what I mean.

So I wish everyone  a good night/ wonderful day!

Edited by Desdemona
  • Like 4
  • It's a Tiara 1

Howard doesn't need a doctorate in his job. With that being said, If he wants Sheldon to stop needling about not having one, he needs to get one. Either that or learn to ignore Sheldon.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sah said:

But his not having had the curiosity to read her favourite novel before suggests either he's dully incurious or doesn't really love her. 

Disagree...I have zero interest in my boyfriend's novels about history and war. Thankfully, we are allowed and expected to have different tastes. Just because I don't have the desire to read his favorite book does not mean I do not love him. I would not expect him to read my trashy romance novels or murder mysteries to prove love or dedication towards me. That is a silly notion in my mind. 

But, does he read or watch your favorites just to find inaccuracies just to be an ass and point them out to you for revenge? Sheldon probably loves Amy now, but at that time I don't think he did! Otherwise he wouldn't have gone out of his way to hurt her!

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chucky said:

But, does he read or watch your favorites just to find inaccuracies just to be an ass and point them out to you for revenge? Sheldon probably loves Amy now, but at that time I don't think he did! Otherwise he wouldn't have gone out of his way to hurt her!

It was explained in the plot. It has nothing to do with his feelings for her. It was the result of him having the wrong idea of how to handle conflict in a relationship. It's not that difficult.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, April said:

It was explained in the plot. It has nothing to do with his feelings for her. It was the result of him having the wrong idea of how to handle conflict in a relationship. It's not that difficult.

I guess that as usual we will disagree.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Not necessarily. The fact that he's not real doesn't make Chucky's opinion (with which I happen to agree) any less valid. Heck, in this forum we've been giving our opinions about fictitious characters for years now.

It is one thing to give an an opinion. It is something else to "call out" the fictitious character as that can't possibly be effective.

• Make a lot more sense than that 2

2 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

That's not true. He truly asked Penny not to hurt his friend (Leonard) when he thought she was about to break up with him.

He asked Penny not to break up with Leonard because he likes things homeostasis meaning no changes. He knows Leonard would be difficult to live with if Penny broke up with him. He was concerned about himself first. A second side benefit would be to Leonard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

That's not true. He truly asked Penny not to hurt his friend (Leonard) when he thought she was about to break up with him.

OMG, 1 time in 11 years. You gotta do better than that!

5 hours ago, djsurrey said:

That would make sense if he were real and could hear what you are saying.

No different than what you post!

• Like 2

Yeah I truely think Sheldon showed one nice gesture towards Leonard. But I saw it no different to when he freaked out in 9x03. The 2003 Approximation. I just think he wanted to maintain the Homeostasis cycle in his life. Although one could argue it was genuine. I Beleive it was. One gesture does not override years of douchery, and ungratefulness. The amount of things Leonard’s done for Sheldon is truely a true friend. But that said I think Leonard knows how he is wired. And he never asked for anything in return. 

17 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah I truely think Sheldon showed one nice gesture towards Leonard. But I saw it no different to when he freaked out in 9x03. The 2003 Approximation. I just think he wanted to maintain the Homeostasis cycle in his life. Although one could argue it was genuine. I Beleive it was. One gesture does not override years of douchery, and ungratefulness. The amount of things Leonard’s done for Sheldon is truely a true friend. But that said I think Leonard knows how he is wired. And he never asked for anything in return. 

I agree, Leonard didn't ask because he knew he wouldn't get anything but "I don't understand", which is Sheldon's go to response!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrismo said:

He asked Penny not to break up with Leonard because he likes things homeostasis meaning no changes. He knows Leonard would be difficult to live with if Penny broke up with him. He was concerned about himself first. A second side benefit would be to Leonard. 

Well said   Exactly my feelings   Sheldon does nice gestures only when it benefits him.    Just like when he says he cannot keep a secret.  He has kept many a secret over the years but only when he gains something from it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Well said   Exactly my feelings   Sheldon does nice gestures only when it benefits him.    Just like when he says he cannot keep a secret.  He has kept many a secret over the years but only when he gains something from it.

I concur with your analysis of the situation. 

• Like 3

On 9/14/2018 at 9:03 AM, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I remembered Amy  also watches Downton Abbey. We know Amy like English history and literatures 

I think it was Sheldon who watched Downton Abbey or something like that. 

In S.6, Alex showed up, Leonard suggested that Alex sit with them in cafeteria, then Sheldon said "servants dine downstairs with their own kind"...

But he just said some British show on PBS, he never said Downton Abbey though. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, chucky said:

I concur with your analysis of the situation. 

After writing that comment I recalled some of the instances where Sheldon kept a secret for his benefit:  When he made Leonard wear that sweater. He kept the secret that he paid the late fees years before.  When he kept secret that he went to Leonard's mothers birthday party and didn't tell him. How can a best friend and roommate keep that kind of a secret?  Just disgraceful especially when Leonard's own brother and sister were invited!   And when he kept secret that he learned how to drive...even from Amy  because he felt important to have people chauffeur him around!  Is this the definition of a friend?

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Mario D. said:

After writing that comment I recalled some of the instances where Sheldon kept a secret for his benefit:  When he made Leonard wear that sweater. He kept the secret that he paid the late fees years before.  When he kept secret that he went to Leonard's mothers birthday party and didn't tell him. How can a best friend and roommate keep that kind of a secret?  Just disgraceful especially when Leonard's own brother and sister were invited!   And when he kept secret that he learned how to drive...even from Amy  because he felt important to have people chauffeur him around!  Is this the definition of a friend?

No, it's not the definition of a friend. It's the definition of a one-way lousey, condescending jerk.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2
  • Run to India 1

On 9/15/2018 at 11:44 AM, chucky said:

I'll continue to call out the condescending jerk who's suppose to be a friend but doesn't have a clue about the true meaning of friendship!

If we're trying to decide how Sheldon is changed to see how it will relate to how he behaves in the new season, perhaps this discussion is valid in the season twelve thread. I am going to go on this assumption. So let's see some opinions. Was Sheldon a good friend at any of these points in the show?

1. Fuzzy Boots Corollary when he tried to cheer Leonard up after Leslie turned him down by suggesting he ask out Penny.

2. Loubenfeld Decoy when he is worried about the flimsy lie Leonard tells Penny to get out of having to see her in a musical.

3. Peanut Reaction when he goes with Penny to help her pick out a present for Leonard.

4. Barbarian Simulation when he tried to help Penny's depression by introducing her to online gaming.

5. White Asparagus Triangulation when he liked Leonard's new girlfriend and tried to keep them together.

6. Financial Permeability when he loans Penny money.

7. Work Song Nanocluster when he helps Penny with her home business.

8. Cornhusker Vortex  when he tried to teach Leonard about football when Leonard feels left out among Penny's friends,.

9. Adhesive Duck Deficiency when he helps Penny when she is hurt.

10., Gorilla Experiment when he tried to teach Penny physics so she will understand Leonard's work.

11. Irish Pub Formulation when he tried to help Leonard keep his relationship with Priya a secret.

12. Isolation Pormutation when he tried to comfort Amy when Penny and Bernadette leave her out of dress shopping.

13. Date Night Variable when Raj is depressed and Sheldon invites him along on his and Amy's date so he won't be lonely.

14. Fish Guts Displacement when he took care of Amy when she was sick.

15. Hofstadter Insufficiency when he and Penny hang out while Leonard is away and they both miss him.

16. Anything Can Happen Recurrence when he spends the evening with Penny when she gets upset with the other girls.

17. Hook Up Reverberation when he and the other guys consider investing in the comic book store to help Stuart reopen.,

18. Application Deterioration when he offered to donate 1/4 of his profits to a college fund for the Howardette baby.

19. Romance Recalibration when he offered to draft a relationship agreement to help improve the Lenny marriage.

20. Comic Con Conundrum when he offered to help Raj with his finances.

21. Explosion Implosion when he builds the model rocket with Howard, who is worried bout raising another child.

I had more but this was getting too long already. Are any of these proof of friendship?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, chucky said:

No, it's not the definition of a friend. It's the definition of a one-way lousey, condescending jerk.

Sheldon has been trying his best especially the last two seasons. In season 11 sheldon told Leonard to leave before he said or did something he would regret.

• Like 3
  • Run to India 2