The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

Non-Season 12 Show Discussion

Just now, Chrismo said:

Actually the author would disagree. She said the show was better off without Amy.

Oh, what does he know? Just one opinion.

2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Actually the author would disagree. She said the show was better off without Amy.

She also likes Bert and says he's now one of the gang. I totally disagree with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing is Emily was more likeable by the end than the beginning. Kind of the reverse of Bernadette.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I did. I was interested in what they would say about Sheldon due to all the discussion about Jim being the one to call it quits.

They said: "When The Big Bang Theory began, it was clear that the series was thought of as Leonard’s series with Sheldon as the eccentric second banana roommate whose hijinks were entertaining sideplots.  However, it didn’t take long for that to change: The Big Bang Theory is now, and will probably always be, known as Sheldon’s show. How could it not be, with the master class of a performance that Jim Parsons has turned in season after season for eleven years? Sheldon is truly a one of a kind character, embodying the fragility that comes with being a child genius all grown up, and yet never once failing in his commitment to his scientific pursuits, nerdy fandom, and love of all things mathematics. When he’s been given the occasional emotional moment over the years, Parsons has elevated his often unintentionally hilarious humor into a truly moving display of human growth and feeling.  it was Parsons’ decision to walk away from the series that led to the decision to end it all after twelve seasons – and with that particular decision, we can’t say we disagree."

I agree with that.

I don't see how they can praise Jim especially during key emotional stories or moments/milestones involving Sheldon in the series and yet they discount the person involved in the majority of them in Amy.

I can't really take the article seriously because of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I can't really take the article seriously because of that.

In this, surely very subjective (lol) article, I found this remark quite mentionable.

"However, it didn’t take long for that to change: The Big Bang Theory is now, and will probably always be, known as Sheldon’s show."

• Like 2

Just now, veejay said:

In this, surely very subjective (lol) article, I found this remark quite mentionable.

"However, it didn’t take long for that to change: The Big Bang Theory is now, and will probably always be, known as Sheldon’s show."

Its something that I myself thought early on, keep in mind I came into being a 'die-hard, almost religious TBBT viewer' very late and binge watched 8 seasons in less than two weeks.  So I had no time gap to process the show and its developments between seasons, in some ways it was a benefit to watch so much growth in such a short space of time (though part of me wished I had been watching the show earlier and been around this place more during earlier seasons lol)

It was clear to me very early on the show for the most part involved Sheldon or him reacting to the goings on of the rest of the gang.  Something I didn't and still don't have a problem with as he is that memorable and iconic a character.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chucky said:

Yeah, but that was an expensive experiment in ways to calm yourself and fail. The wife didn't appreciate my actions at all!  Of course that was years ago and hopefully she's forgotten it.

Wives don't forget that sort of thing. They just save it up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Especially Filipino wives. They "NEVER" forget, believe me, I know. Married to her 38 years, she brings up stuff from 37 years ago!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Its something that I myself thought early on, keep in mind I came into being a 'die-hard, almost religious TBBT viewer' very late and binge watched 8 seasons in less than two weeks.  So I had no time gap to process the show and its developments between seasons, in some ways it was a benefit to watch so much growth in such a short space of time (though part of me wished I had been watching the show earlier and been around this place more during earlier seasons lol)

It was clear to me very early on the show for the most part involved Sheldon or him reacting to the goings on of the rest of the gang.  Something I didn't and still don't have a problem with as he is that memorable and iconic a character.

I can hear you! I also discovered this very unique comedy very late (in Season 5, maybe therefore my preference for Lenny, lol). But from the 8th season on the character Sheldon left slowly his original path for me and became more and more unbelievable, or should I say more "normal". Believe me, at this point I deeply regret this change!  But hey, that's just me. :shy:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I actually think the time gap is a key. Watching from the beginning I think the show changed started in the finale of season 6. from that point on it did become the Sheldon show. The shipping conflict started after that. I don’t think some understand, not necessarily you, that show went from one couple with more group episodes to Shamy storylines with the rest getting the crumbs. Lenny went from having storylines to standing at the breakfast nook. The sad things for Lenny fans IMO there was still Lenny storylines to tell but they have basically ignored or turned in to them fighting. A good episode for Lenny now as mentioned before is hoping there not fighting. I get couple storylines have to be divided but they seem to be #3 in getting them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, veejay said:

I can hear you! I also discovered this very unique comedy very late (in Season 5, maybe therefore my preference for Lenny, lol). But from the 8th season on the character Sheldon left slowly his original path for me and became more and more unbelievable, or should I say more "normal". Believe me, at this point I deeply regret this change!  But hey, that's just me. :shy:

I can respect that.

Truthfully I don't think I would have kept watching the show had Sheldon not evolved, I was starting to get tired of him/burnt out and the Amy injection came at the right time for me.  I think the formula was getting stale around the end of Season 3, but then I saw the coffee shop scene between Sheldon and Amy and it was a mixture of 'wtf is going on here?!' and sheer intrigue. 

IIRC I skipped that intro so fast on Netflix going into the first episode of Season 4 and stayed up late to find out if Amy was going to be in the opener lol! I was fascinated.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I can respect that.

Truthfully I don't think I would have kept watching the show had Sheldon not evolved, I was starting to get tired of him/burnt out and the Amy injection came at the right time for me.  I think the formula was getting stale around the end of Season 3, but then I saw the coffee shop scene between Sheldon and Amy and it was a mixture of 'wtf is going on here?!' and sheer intrigue. 

IIRC I skipped that intro so fast on Netflix going into the first episode of Season 4 and stayed up late to find out if Amy was going to be in the opener lol! I was fascinated.

misc_360.gif.f459af37d04801539cd5e4a4c250582c.gif

Nothing more to say, well, for now, LOL

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

As early as season 1, Jim was asked what a love-interest for Sheldon would be like. I don't think the viewers would have wanted him to age twelve years as a confirmed bachelor. The curiosity as to whether he had a heart and what sort of woman would win it would have been too great.

Were TBBT an animated series where the cast need not have aged, I'd have liked Amy to stay as she was and for the Shamy to have stayed just good friends, although MsGreentea's idea of their living together in order to reproduce I find even more appealing. 

As it was, I thought Sheldon's slow morphing, up to his decision in S9 to jettison his  self-imposed Spockishness and accept what everyone else had been seeing for the previous five years, plus Amy's  discovery of her femininity. were handled very well. 

36 minutes ago, chucky said:

Especially Filipino wives. They "NEVER" forget, believe me, I know. Married to her 38 years, she brings up stuff from 37 years ago!

What do you think girls learn at their mothers' and grandmothers' knees ? How to have a useful memory is what.  I know my father took my mother to see cowboy films when they were courting, regardless of what she wanted to see, not to mention what his father did when young. Bwahahahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

You right. My Grandma like to bring up a certain story about My Grandpa  that happened 55 years ago lol 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I can respect that.

Similarly, I found Shamy's relationship dynamic going stale at around S7 or so because the writers thought Sheldon being an asshole boyfriend for no god damn reason was sooo funny. Like, almost immediately after they officially became an item the writers injected "normal" relationship tropes into the writing and imho it took a lot away from the charm they had when they were "just friends". (Of course I would also argue that some of the tediousness was to be expected and in character but you know, that would become a long essay.)

It wasn't until S8 where they finally started to rectify this when I could really root for Shamy again like I did in S4. Cause I do think that now Shamy have the best of both worlds: A functional loving relationship AND being the resident dorky weirdo couple they have been from the start. Yes, they are less robotic and more physical now but I don't think they're in any way "normal" in the ways that matter to me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Run to India 2

6 minutes ago, April said:

Similarly, I found Shamy's relationship dynamic going stale at around S7 or so because the writers thought Sheldon being an asshole boyfriend for no god damn reason was sooo funny. Like, almost immediately after they officially became an item the writers injected "normal" relationship tropes into the writing and imho it took a lot away from the charm they had when they were "just friends". (Of course I would also argue that some of the tediousness was to be expected and in character but you know, that would become a long essay.)

It wasn't until S8 where they finally started to rectify this when I could really root for Shamy again like I did in S4. Cause I do think that now Shamy have the best of both worlds: A functional loving relationship AND being the resident dorky weirdo couple they have been from the start. Yes, they are less robotic and more physical now but I don't think they're in any way "normal" in the ways that matter to me.

I sincerely disagree with your assumptions!

• Run to India 1

6 hours ago, chucky said:

I sincerely disagree with your assumptions!

What assumptions? Was talking about my personal viewing experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, April said:

I mean "normal" in comparison to the original intention of this (for me) "extraordinary" comedy. Which point in time led to this statement is left to the respective viewer, but on the basis of the beloved characters, the change to a "normal" rom-com since Season 7-8 was clearly noticeable (for me). And this is independent of the respective preferences of the couples depicted. Nevertheless, I still try to maintain my affection for this series until the "bitter" end.  :shy:

• Like 2

Just now, veejay said:

I mean "normal" in comparison to the original intention of this (for me) "extraordinary" comedy. Which point in time led to this statement is left to the respective viewer, but on the basis of the beloved characters, the change to a "normal" rom-com since Season 7-8 was clearly noticeable (for me). And this is independent of the respective preferences of the couples depicted. Nevertheless, I still try to maintain my affection for this series until the "bitter" end.  :shy:

Well, that's the thing: For me Shamy still have that "extraordinary" bit of nerd humour that made the show stand out. They may be romantic and all that but they are also still the ones engaging in science and their nerdy hobbies and whatnot, more than the other characters on the show most of the times. So Shamy are really the least of my concerns regarding the show showing its nerd cred and I guess that's why they're my favourite couple.

Everybody else however...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, April said:

Well, that's the thing: For me Shamy still have that "extraordinary" bit of nerd humour that made the show stand out. They may be romantic and all that but they are also still the ones engaging in science and their nerdy hobbies and whatnot, more than the other characters on the show most of the times. So Shamy are really the least of my concerns regarding the show showing its nerd cred and I guess that's why they're my favourite couple.

Everybody else however...

I know. The thing I don't like is the permanent fixation of the show on Sheldon and the distortion (no, I don't see any further "real" evolution) of his character.

...and yes, everybody else however... :shy:

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, April said:

Oh I had similar feelings as well.  There was many a time I was shaking my head and wanted to give Sheldon a smack for not realising what he had with Amy and the way he acted at times.  I would agree it felt a bit more sterotypical and less quirky for a couple of seasons with them until they found ways and stories to bring that back.

I think since pretty much the point they got back together (when i think about it the aquarium really was a key episode, maybe from a storytelling perspective it was a huge spark) they have found that groove again when it comes to weirdness lol and then of course Season 10 injected a more physical element to their relationship and they are now this perfect blend in my view.  I couldn't really ask for more with them in regards to their relationship dynamic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, veejay said:

I know. The thing I don't like is the permanent fixation of the show on Sheldon and the distortion (no, I don't see any further "real" evolution) of his character.

...and yes, everybody else however... :shy:

Well, obviously YMMV with regards to Sheldon's "distortion". Idk, keeping him as he was would have made me quit many times over, like around S3 as @Jonny mentioned and the other was at around S6/7 as mentioned in my earlier post. Sheldon's shtick just gets really old really fast and keeping S1-3 Sheldon for 12 seasons was just not feasible. Neither would be keeping S4-8 Sheldon. Now we have S9-12 Sheldon and personally I like that version the best because the earlier versions were just too much asshole and too little trying to be a better person.

But you know, personal preferences, YMMV and all that applies.

I hear ya on the over saturation with Sheldon stories though. I do think the show would be better off to mix it up more often so that people won't be so fed up with him and everybody else could use some time in the spotlight. But then again they've been at it since pretty much S2 so I don't see that changing now. Oh well...

7 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Oh I had similar feelings as well.  There was many a time I was shaking my head and wanted to give Sheldon a smack for not realising what he had with Amy and the way he acted at times.  I would agree it felt a bit more sterotypical and less quirky for a couple of seasons with them until they found ways and stories to bring that back.

I think since pretty much the point they got back together (when i think about it the aquarium really was a key episode, maybe from a storytelling perspective it was a huge spark) they have found that groove again when it comes to weirdness lol and then of course Season 10 injected a more physical element to their relationship and they are now this perfect blend in my view.  I couldn't really ask for more with them in regards to their relationship dynamic.

Totally agree! The breakup was probably the best thing ever happened to them and the result was just a great pay-off for their fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, veejay said:

Agree. The ho hum break up in season 9 when you they were getting back together. When will they have coitus and the predictable wedding you knew was coming. If they have never had sex and never got married that would of made them unique. There no different than anybody else. As you said the show is just a rom com.

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, April said:

Well, obviously YMMV with regards to Sheldon's "distortion". Idk, keeping him as he was would have made me quit many times over, like around S3 as @Jonny mentioned and the other was at around S6/7 as mentioned in my earlier post. Sheldon's shtick just gets really old really fast and keeping S1-3 Sheldon for 12 seasons was just not feasible. Neither would be keeping S4-8 Sheldon. Now we have S9-12 Sheldon and personally I like that version the best because the earlier versions were just too much asshole and too little trying to be a better person.

But you know, personal preferences, YMMV and all that applies.

I hear ya on the over saturation with Sheldon stories though. I do think the show would be better off to mix it up more often so that people won't be so fed up with him and everybody else could use some time in the spotlight. But then again they've been at it since pretty much S2 so I don't see that changing now. Oh well...

I think my biggest problem with Sheldon's development is his turning into a "romantic" hero. That makes his character totally implausible for me. This also damages my view of the actually exciting "experiment" Shamy.

Totally agree! The breakup was probably the best thing ever happened to them and the result was just a great pay-off for their fans.

Sounds like the on/off story like Lenny without the pay-off. :shy:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, veejay said:

I think my biggest problem with Sheldon's development is his turning into a "romantic" hero. That makes his character totally implausible for me. This also damages my view of the actually exciting "experiment" Shamy.

Sounds like the on/off story like Lenny without the pay-off. :shy:

Agreed. As to the break up it was only a stall tactic. Just like the last 3+ years

• Like 1