The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Non-Season 12 Show Discussion

3 minutes ago, veejay said:

I think my biggest problem with Sheldon's development is his turning into a "romantic" hero. That makes his character totally implausible for me. This also damages my view of the actually exciting "experiment" Shamy.

I hope you don't mind me asking but I honestly don't even know what that's supposed to mean. Like, what exactly is the issue? That he actually loves Amy and behaves as such? Or...? I mean, it's not like he's suddenly turning into Raj with all his schmaltzy over the top kitsch he likes to dish out sometimes. Even in his most romantic moments Sheldon is still given a bit of a weird dorky twist.

You may not intent it but that kind of statement always sounds a bit like "oh Sheldon is not an asshole to Amy anymore - now everything is ruined!!" which is just so weird. (And I guess that's also why a lot of fights break out here cause it just sounds so mean, you know?)

3 minutes ago, veejay said:

Sounds like the on/off story like Lenny without the pay-off. :shy:

The writers sure like to repeat themselves - all three couples broke up with them doing better afterwards. lol

18 minutes ago, April said:

I hope you don't mind me asking but I honestly don't even know what that's supposed to mean. Like, what exactly is the issue? That he actually loves Amy and behaves as such? Or...? I mean, it's not like he's suddenly turning into Raj with all his schmaltzy over the top kitsch he likes to dish out sometimes. Even in his most romantic moments Sheldon is still given a bit of a weird dorky twist.

You may not intent it but that kind of statement always sounds a bit like "oh Sheldon is not an asshole to Amy anymore - now everything is ruined!!" which is just so weird. (And I guess that's also why a lot of fights break out here cause it just sounds so mean, you know?)

Sheldon was always, well, Sheldon. Without any impulses of romantic intent (keyword Spock), only fixed on his logic and mind (I let his condesending behaviour aside). Therefore his development into a romantic hero and now even a loving husband is difficult for me to comprehend. Now he represents more a fiction desired by his admirers. That's just my thought.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, veejay said:

Sheldon was always, well, Sheldon. Without any impulses of romantic intent (keyword Spock), only fixed on his logic and mind (I let his condesending behaviour aside). Therefore his development into a romantic hero and now even a loving husband is difficult for me to comprehend. Now he represents more a fiction desired by his admirers. That's just my thought.

Alright, I see what you mean.

I just have a hard time setting his condescending behaviour aside and the Spock persona was to me always just a mask he wore that would occasionally slip and we'd see even early on that this was not all there is to Sheldon. Either way though, by now that particular train has left the station a long long time ago.

5 hours ago, Chrismo said:

The thing is Emily was more likeable by the end than the beginning. Kind of the reverse of Bernadette.

Never liked Emily a bit and seldom like Bernadette anymore.  So I don't know what to say.

5 hours ago, Jonny said:

I don't see how they can praise Jim especially during key emotional stories or moments/milestones involving Sheldon in the series and yet they discount the person involved in the majority of them in Amy.

I can't really take the article seriously because of that.

I know what you're saying but Jim had emotional moments without Amy, too.

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

It was clear to me very early on the show for the most part involved Sheldon or him reacting to the goings on of the rest of the gang.  Something I didn't and still don't have a problem with as he is that memorable and iconic a character.

Well put.

• Run to India 1

30 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Never liked Emily a bit and seldom like Bernadette anymore.  So I don't know what to say.

I agree!

Emily: Never cared for her.

Bernadette: What happened to the nice, sweet girl? What we have now is a total bitch.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Plus Bernadette asked at the second wedding if anyone had anything to say and that opened the door for things to be said. That option should never have been given.

So it's Bernadette's fault for giving the option and not him for being an asshole. Got it. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Carlos said:

So it's Bernadette's fault for giving the option and not him for being an asshole. Got it. Thanks.

Bernadette should have remembered the old adage"Think before speaking"!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonny said:

I don't see how they can praise Jim especially during key emotional stories or moments/milestones involving Sheldon in the series and yet they discount the person involved in the majority of them in Amy.

I can't really take the article seriously because of that.

It's just one opinion from one article, anyone can have different opinions and write articles about it, LOL.

Like it said Raj (Kunal) is the most underated talent of the entire cast, ummmm, no, that is Howard (Simon). 

Lucy, I actually think Lucy was more suited with Raj than Emily. 

Priya and Ramona, obviously these two characters were being used as the plot catalysts, I don't think they ruined the show, but I prefer TPTB didn't turn them into unlikable people. Priya could just break up with Leonard without cheating on him, and Ramona could play the "evil scientist" who was behind the "stealing their project" in S.10, that would be funnier than her third wheel role.

Leslie was the coolest scientist of the show when she was here, I still love her frozen banana and lazer noodles. 

And, Amy, OK, I'm biased, because she became my third favorite character gradually, but the article is just another "TBBT was better before Amy"...ugh, cry me a river, will you... But I'm surprised they said: "The gripe we have with this character has less to do with Mayim Bialik’s casting in the role – if anything, it’s hard to imagine anyone playing the uber nerd as convincingly as the former Blossom herself." This I agree. I like Mayim Bialik's acting. 

And some of those the article said "saved" the show...I can't agree with some of those. 

This entire article is just an "YMMV" thing, but I'd like to give my opinions because you know.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, April said:

Alright, I see what you mean.

I just have a hard time setting his condescending behaviour aside and the Spock persona was to me always just a mask he wore that would occasionally slip and we'd see even early on that this was not all there is to Sheldon. Either way though, by now that particular train has left the station a long long time ago.

Hm, in Season 9 (The Spock Resonance) we had a complete episode on Spock's deeper influence on Sheldon's way of thinking. It hasn't seemed that long ago to me yet. Well, he probably loves slow trains, too (but don't ask Amy 😉).  LOL

s_130.gif.ff295d9340d096ca6ed80056c1fb09f3.gif

Edited by veejay

16 minutes ago, veejay said:

Hm, in Season 9 (The Spock Resonance) we had a complete episode on Spock's deeper influence on Sheldon's way of thinking. It hasn't seemed that long ago to me yet. Well, he probably loves slow trains, too (but don't ask Amy 😉).  LOL

Funny you should mention this episode, because I thought this was the one that TPTB told us:

"Sheldon was NOT like Spock, he used to think he was just like Spock, no feelings, all logic. But unfortunately, no, because he is all human, so he still has feelings. And this is the first time he realize the difference. "

• Like 2
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

17 minutes ago, veejay said:

s_130.gif.ff295d9340d096ca6ed80056c1fb09f3.gif

Exactly. "putting on a persona" means pretending to be someone you're not. Sheldon is not an emotionless alien no matter how much he wishes it to be. Heck, Spock himself wasn't that as Penny rightfully points out! I loved Spock Resonance cause it really breaks down how and why he did that. And also why it's not a useful coping mechanism. What a great character episode!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, April said:

Exactly. "putting on a persona" means pretending to be someone you're not. Sheldon is not an emotionless alien no matter how much he wishes it to be. Heck, Spock himself wasn't that as Penny rightfully points out! I loved Spock Resonance cause it really breaks down how and why he did that. And also why it's not a useful coping mechanism. What a great character episode!

That's true, but it doesn't change anything about Spock's earlier tremendous influence on Sheldon...

logical.gif.6a1ecf39deeb899be5e7d9dd9fbeb0af.gif
...and even on Penny. :shy:

Just now, veejay said:

That's true, but it doesn't change anything about Spock's earlier tremendous influence on Sheldon...

logical.gif.6a1ecf39deeb899be5e7d9dd9fbeb0af.gif
...and even on Penny. :shy:

That wasn't even remotely what I was saying so....

OBSarahconfused.gif.05aef0ee846610339610c225b83afcb3.gif

• Haha 1
  • Run to India 1

6 minutes ago, April said:

That wasn't even remotely what I was saying so....

I agreed with your point of view. But Spock's early influence doesn't change, but led in this episode to a self-reflection and new insight for Sheldon. Sounds logical to me.

Just now, veejay said:

I agreed with your point of view. But Spock's early influence doesn't change, but led in this episode to a self-reflection and new insight for Sheldon. Sounds logical to me.

Ah yes, that was what I was getting at. The "but" sounded like you were contradicting me, hence the confusion.

• Run to India 1

5 minutes ago, April said:

Ah yes, that was what I was getting at. The "but" sounded like you were contradicting me, hence the confusion.

wrong.gif.03b314e48e9e04cad9fb2d582e952138.gif

:icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KripkeRules said:

It's just one opinion from one article, anyone can have different opinions and write articles about it, LOL.

Like it said Raj (Kunal) is the most underated talent of the entire cast, ummmm, no, that is Howard (Simon). 

Lucy, I actually think Lucy was more suited with Raj than Emily. 

ALL of this is awesome to me. Yes, everyone has their own opinions and they are all valid. Howard, although he was praised in the article wasn't praised enough. He is definitely the most underated member of the cast. His physical comedy alone makes him stand out but his comedic timing is darned near perfect. And at least with Lucy, she was as damaged as Raj was at the time, so there was that to work with. Both Emilys were totally hopeless bitches (although I like both the actresses well enough) and the cleaning lady was never going to work. I think they had the most potential with either the vet or the drone lady but they just dropped both of them flat after using them to make other characters look bad.

5 hours ago, April said:

Yes, that was amazing.

5 hours ago, KripkeRules said:

"Sheldon was NOT like Spock, he used to think he was just like Spock, no feelings, all logic. But unfortunately, no, because he is all human, so he still has feelings. And this is the first time he realize the difference. "

I gave this some more thought, and yes...that's it. It connected to the "Darlin" song in the Earworm episode, where he realized what was running through his head was the lyric  " I was living like half a man...then i couldn't love but now i can"

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

ALL of this is awesome to me. Yes, everyone has their own opinions and they are all valid. Howard, although he was praised in the article wasn't praised enough. He is definitely the most underated member of the cast. His physical comedy alone makes him stand out but his comedic timing is darned near perfect. And at least with Lucy, she was as damaged as Raj was at the time, so there was that to work with. Both Emilys were totally hopeless bitches (although I like both the actresses well enough) and the cleaning lady was never going to work. I think they had the most potential with either the vet or the drone lady but they just dropped both of them flat after using them to make other characters look bad.

I have to agree with your assessment.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Lucy served her purpose. Raj is now talking to women

Probably the main reason she was introduced in the show. Howard was probably tired of Raj spitting in his ear while whispering in it!  :sungum: