Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 12 Chit Chat Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, shell said:

That's easy to look up

 

I did. All of his roles have been small roles. No different than thousands of other character actors. How does he compare to Alan Alda?

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shell said:

Not to mention the many movies and plays

As it's been asked, does he stand out above the remaining cast? A lot of people wouldn't know he's in those movies or plays unless they read the credits. The only thing I've seen him in is TBBT and a few commercials. I don't watch plays or movies that much. As I said, your opinion is respected by me, but I disagree.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, shell said:

I seemed to have forgotten what your trying to prove  at this point but what it all comes down to is I believe Jim Parsons will be a legend if he isn't one already. I will not be convinced otherwise and it's my opinion and no one can change that. Thank you and have a nice day. 

You may have the wrong idea of what a legend is. Personally, I don't know Jim Parsons from any other role than Sheldon. That's called typecasting. Typecast actors often have trouble finding roles after the show they were on is over. Jim, of course, has his stage work to fall back to (which he enjoy's I guess)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 7:25 AM, Chrismo said:

JMO many more people know the character Sheldon Cooper than know who  Jim Parsons is.

That is true of many iconic characters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

That is true of many iconic characters.

Yes, but it's possible to get away from it. Leonard Nimoy did, Carroll O'Connor did, and so did many other actors. And sometimes it even goes the other way. You know who was the total opposite with me? John Wayne. Every time I saw him on screen I just thought John Wayne. I can't remember half of his screen names. Now that won't happen with Jim in either case, but I think he can become known for himself, especially if he takes awhile off to do theater.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Yes, but it's possible to get away from it. Leonard Nimoy did,

Did he though? I'd say most people would still associate Spock with him, may he rest in peace. Heck, I always found it amusing that his autobiographies where titled "I am not Spock", followed up with "I am Spock". lol

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Yes, but it's possible to get away from it. Leonard Nimoy did, Carroll O'Connor did, and so did many other actors. And sometimes it even goes the other way. You know who was the total opposite with me? John Wayne. Every time I saw him on screen I just thought John Wayne. I can't remember half of his screen names. Now that won't happen with Jim in either case, but I think he can become known for himself, especially if he takes awhile off to do theater.

When that time comes for him and the rest of the cast, I'm hoping TBBT will still be so established in our memories that it will be seen as a classic worth revisiting for a 'special'  now and again or even a short revival. It's done here, I don't know if it is in the US.  I don't want to lose touch with these people. I'd like to see some novels and audio discs published too, to keep them fresh until I can see them again !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Yes, but it's possible to get away from it. Leonard Nimoy did, Carroll O'Connor did,...

These names are not universally known. Not like the third person you named. I expect everyone (well everyone over 20 in the US and English speaking Canada) knows the name John Wayne. On the other hand just about everyone has heard of Mr. Spock and most older people know about Archie Bunker. The characters became iconic more so than the actors. Some actors have been in so many movies (and some really big movies) that they become better known even than the iconic characters. I can think of some from my parents generation but younger people may not know them. I think most English speaking people in North America have heard of Tom Hanks (young or old). Still I kind of think of the actors more from my parents  generation more as legends. People like Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Dustin Hoffman, John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn, Lucille Ball, Mickey Rooney....   ...there were a lot of them.

Edited by djsurrey
sp-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, April said:

Did he though? I'd say most people would still associate Spock with him, may he rest in peace. Heck, I always found it amusing that his autobiographies where titled "I am not Spock", followed up with "I am Spock". lol

But people know his name, is my point. There were posts that implied everyone knew Sheldon but no one knew Jim.

Adam West commented in his book Back to The Batcave how Nimoy worked very hard to distance himself from Spock but then put on the ears again and West was puzzled and amused by it. Of course West was someone who really did never get out from under the cowl. He's the poster child for typecasting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Still I kind of think of the actors more from my parents  generation more as legends. People like Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Dustin Hoffman, John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn, Lucille Ball, Mickey Rooney....   ...there were a lot of them.

And why do you do that? Because you know them from multiple things over decades. Not because of one role in one show.

10 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

But people know his name, is my point. There were posts that implied everyone knew Sheldon but no one knew Jim.

Adam West commented in his book Back to The Batcave how Nimoy worked very hard to distance himself from Spock but then put on the ears again and West was puzzled and amused by it. Of course West was someone who really did never get out from under the cowl. He's the poster child for typecasting

I think that was because he was typecast. So many people knew him as Mr Spock, and people wanted to keep seeing him as that. As far as I know, he was voicing his character in almost every Star Trek production.

Another person who couldn't get away from his TV persona was George Takei. He said it best once on the Big Bang Theory when he was asked by Katee Sackhoff. Remember?

"George, let me ask you something. How did you deal with being typecast as a science fiction icon?"

"It's difficult. You try and stretch as an actor, Strindberg, O’Neill, but all they want is, Course laid in, Captain."

I think that happened to Leonard Nimoy and he realized that, hence his return to "I am Spock"

I think that happens to a lot of actors. Take Gillian Anderson for example. Few people might hear that name and know exactly who that is, but as soon as you say Agent Dana Scully, they know X-Files.

Edited by son-goku5
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, son-goku5 said:

And why do you do that? Because you know them from multiple things over decades. Not because of one role in one show.

I think that was because he was typecast. So many people knew him as Mr Spock, and people wanted to keep seeing him as that. As far as I know, he was voicing his character in almost every Star Trek production.

Another person who couldn't get away from his TV persona was George Takei. He said it best once on the Big Bang Theory when he was asked by Katee Sackhoff. Remember?

"George, let me ask you something. How did you deal with being typecast as a science fiction icon?"

"It's difficult. You try and stretch as an actor, Strindberg, O’Neill, but all they want is, Course laid in, Captain."

I think that happened to Leonard Nimoy and he realized that, hence his return to "I am Spock"

I think that happens to a lot of actors. Take Gillian Anderson for example. Few people might hear that name and know exactly who that is, but as soon as you say Agent Dana Scully, they know X-Files.

Gotta agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

But people know his name, is my point. There were posts that implied everyone knew Sheldon but no one knew Jim.

If you show a picture of Leonard Nimoy to 10 people I think most of them will say something along the lines of "That's Mr. Spock!" cause that's what happens when you land a role as popular as this. You never really leave that role behind, even if you are successful in other jobs. In the end of the day the over-saturation of pop culture is just too strong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, April said:

If you show a picture of Leonard Nimoy to 10 people I think most of them will say something along the lines of "That's Mr. Spock!" cause that's what happens when you land a role as popular as this. You never really leave that role behind, even if you are successful in other jobs. In the end of the day the over-saturation of pop culture is just too strong.

But he got to the point where if you said, "I saw Leonard Nimoy!" they would know who you meant and not say, "Who the hell is Leonard Nimoy?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

But he got to the point where if you said, "I saw Leonard Nimoy!" they would know who you meant and not say, "Who the hell is Leonard Nimoy?".

All I can say is that my family circle we watched Star Trek but I expect few of us remember the actors names. I was the one that read "I am Not Spock" as a teen. They all know Spock but I expect most don't know Lenard Nimoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

But he got to the point where if you said, "I saw Leonard Nimoy!" they would know who you meant and not say, "Who the hell is Leonard Nimoy?".

Actually, I don't think that would be the case. Not saying that nobody knows him but it's by far not universal and Spock will always be more recognisable.

And I feel that Jim will go a similar way. Like, "oh hey, that's Jim Parsons!" - "Who?" - "You know, Sheldon!" - "Oh yes!"

And I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, April said:

Actually, I don't think that would be the case. Not saying that nobody knows him but it's by far not universal and Spock will always be more recognisable.

And I feel that Jim will go a similar way. Like, "oh hey, that's Jim Parsons!" - "Who?" - "You know, Sheldon!" - "Oh yes!"

And I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing.

I agree! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Star Trek, I saw an ad for the following.  Most here will get it:

 

C11C6A19-1816-40EB-8D49-9D93D2BE604D.thumb.jpeg.00654232fcce242f10ed27d4ad41f236.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Speaking of Star Trek, I saw an ad for the following.  Most here will get it:

 

C11C6A19-1816-40EB-8D49-9D93D2BE604D.thumb.jpeg.00654232fcce242f10ed27d4ad41f236.jpeg

Does it come in a man's tee? I so need this!

Edited by gsxdoug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Speaking of Star Trek, I saw an ad for the following.  Most here will get it:

 

C11C6A19-1816-40EB-8D49-9D93D2BE604D.thumb.jpeg.00654232fcce242f10ed27d4ad41f236.jpeg

I need this because of reasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find it  here,  but the silhouettes are a bit different.   Be aware though, the site is from the EU, so there is an additional customs cost for those in the US.   I found it in several other places, but  this one is the only one I found, that isn't out of stock.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Tensor said:

You can find it  here,  but the silhouettes are a bit different.   Be aware though, the site is from the EU, so there is an additional customs cost for those in the US.   I found it in several other places, but  this one is the only one I found, that isn't out of stock.

 

 

 

Sorry, I have to ask .... what does it mean ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Sorry, I have to ask .... what does it mean ?

What, in particular, are you talking about?  If it’s the shirt itself, in the original series, a typical open would be a landing party would beam down to a planet, they would be attacked, and someone would die.  It was, invariably, the regular crewman, (who was an extra that week) who usually wore a red shirt.  After all, they weren’t going to kill Kirk, Spock, or any of the other stars.  

There was a joke shirt several years ago, that had Stormtroopers from Star Wars, and red shirts, from Star Trek on it.  The comment was, Stormtroopers shoot and miss everyone, red shirts die anyway.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, April said:

Speaking of Star Trek, I saw an ad for the following.  Most here will get it:

 

On 2/16/2019 at 9:32 PM, Die Zimtzicke said:

I got it right away.

 

On 2/16/2019 at 3:48 PM, Tensor said:

Most here will get it:

 

On 2/16/2019 at 8:01 PM, Tensor said:

What, in particular, are you talking about?

I'm talking about the above quotes but I think I understand the explanation. Last saw Star Trek in 1969, the first series in black and white, so I knew nothing about the red shirts etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.