Season 12 Chit Chat Thread

Tensor

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:
On 2/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, Tensor said:

I'm talking about the above quotes but I think I understand the explanation. Last saw Star Trek in 1969, the first series in black and white, so I knew nothing about the red shirts etc.

It has come up in this forum before. 

I was still watching the  reruns most days in the 1970s. That ended only because I started university in 79.  

• Like 1

I wanted to watch, but my parents controlled the TV, when it was originally on.  Got to see some of them during the summer rerun period.  In the 70s it was on every day, so I watched them over and over.  I also bought the books that turned the scripts into basically short stories.   Also, the Saturday morning animated show.  

5 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

This has been definitely going on for years. I'm not sure why it's become newsworthy again now. But I think it's funny.
http://newsinstact.com/earth/the-bank-of-canada-is-warning-people-to-stop-drawing-spock-on-their-money/?fbclid=IwAR2mBD-hHjPviYv1PeiP8aig4X2pM8To8YCJFZYyUrSH6AIx-NnUL3e_sWM

Interesting and humorous!

On 2/18/2019 at 5:19 AM, Tensor said:

I wanted to watch, but my parents controlled the TV, when it was originally on.  Got to see some of them during the summer rerun period.  In the 70s it was on every day, so I watched them over and over.  I also bought the books that turned the scripts into basically short stories.   Also, the Saturday morning animated show.  

I've never seen any material like that for Star Trek but for decades there have been books and audio tapes/discs of Dr Who, some from scripts and some new. And of course there are Torchwood and Sarah Jane  stories. I hope they do something like that with TBBT  until they bring it back. There were paperbacks of Dallas around too, as I recall.

Kelsey Grammer was on Radio5live a few days ago, talking about the talks about bringing back Frasier. They mentioned the  recent return of Will and Grace.  There's The Conners now, too. A few British shows have also been reintroduced with a new generation or the same but older cast. It seems to be becoming the fashion on both sides of the pond. I didn't see any of the resurrected Dallas, but  I did watch the new X-files series.

I want TBBT back within 5 years.,spinoffs notwithstanding. If they did an animated version they wouldn't need to age the characters, so the style could be unchanging and nobody would need to complain about how things weren't like they used to be.

50 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I want TBBT back within 5 years.,spinoffs notwithstanding. If they did an animated version they wouldn't need to age the characters, so the style could be unchanging and nobody would need to complain about how things weren't like they used to be.

I'd rather see a new fresh series.

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I've never seen any material like that for Star Trek but for decades there have been books and audio tapes/discs of Dr Who, some from scripts and some new. And of course there are Torchwood and Sarah Jane  stories. I hope they do something like that with TBBT  until they bring it back. There were paperbacks of Dallas around too, as I recall.

Kelsey Grammer was on Radio5live a few days ago, talking about the talks about bringing back Frasier. They mentioned the  recent return of Will and Grace.  There's The Conners now, too. A few British shows have also been reintroduced with a new generation or the same but older cast. It seems to be becoming the fashion on both sides of the pond. I didn't see any of the resurrected Dallas, but  I did watch the new X-files series.

The more core cast a show has, the less the chances to bring it back years later with the same people. Will&Grace is easier, since it's four people, X-Files only needs two certain people (three if you count Skinner). The Connors, I presume, would have been more difficult if all the cast had great careers but to be fair, the only people from The Connors (or Roseanne before) cast who had wide ranging success after the show were Johnny Galecki and John Goodman. Never saw any of the kids in other roles (Sara Gilbert had the TBBT stint and then her talk show of course).

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I feel like they kinda "milked out" the BBT main characters. I doubt they could make a successful reboot with the core 7 being the core characters again, unless it's wayyy into the future, say in their 70s/80s when old age becomes a sort of a premise or there's some big change in their lives. I would rather see their new generation eith the core cast guest starring here and there, but now that it's almost certain there won't be Hofstadter kids this wouldn't work, IMO, because I can't see the Wolowitzes (and Koothrappalis) being close with the Cooper Fowlers with no Hofstadter mediation, it won't be true to the character dynamics - Leonard and Penny are a sort of a bridge between Sheldon and Amy and Howard, Bernadette and Raj, always have been always will be. So there's another prospect damaged by the no kids decision...

Edited by bfm
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bfm said:

I feel like they kinda "milked out" the BBT main characters. I doubt they could make a successful reboot with the core 7 being the core characters again, unless it's wayyy into the future, say in their 70s/80s when old age becomes a sort of a premise or there's some big change in their lives. I would rather see their new generation eith the core cast guest starring here and there, but now that it's almost certain there won't be Hofstadter kids this wouldn't work, IMO, because I can't see the Wolowitzes (and Koothrappalis) being close with the Cooper Fowlers with no Hofstadter mediation, it won't be true to the character dynamics - Leonard and Penny are a sort of a bridge between Sheldon and Amy and Howard, Bernadette and Raj, always have been always will be. So there's another prospect damaged by the no kids decision...

I can find absolutely no fault in your post!

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

There were paperbacks of Dallas around too, as I recall.

I had a collection of paperbacks from Dark Shadows and the Man from UNCLE when I was younger. That's common. But I can't recall any for a comedy.

8 hours ago, joyceraye said:

A few British shows have also been reintroduced with a new generation or the same but older cast.

They did that with Are You Being Served but the first one was lots better.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I had a collection of paperbacks from Dark Shadows

Loved Dark Shadows. We also had many of the paperbacks. I was very disappointed when I learned the Johnny Depp movie was a parody/spoof. Never saw it.

9 hours ago, chucky said:

Neither have I! No one plays Barnabas Collins better than Johnathon Frid!

The two films Jonathan Frid made as Barnabas weren't that great though, but I own them anyway. I've meant to get the box set of the TV show but the price keeps putting me off.

50 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

The two films Jonathan Frid made as Barnabas weren't that great though, but I own them anyway. I've meant to get the box set of the TV show but the price keeps putting me off.

Never watched them, loved him in the TV series!

1 hour ago, MsGreentea said:

I totally agree.  The average fan wants a funny episode and their thoughts  about the finale are likely linked only to getting the elevator fixed.

I agree with the funny part and the elevator may go with that but I think the average viewer wants a happy ending. The average viewer IMO knows what’s going on but doesn’t overanalyze it like us on here. A good example of people not getting the ending they wanted was HIMYM.  Ted ending up with Robin at the end was believable but the mother dying in the finale was hated by most. (I wasn’t one of them). Thus the finale overall was disliked.

As to the ending of TBBT Seinfeld and TAAHM aren’t comparable shows. No one is ending up in jail or having a piano on them. Those shows aren’t work related shows or couples related shows. I think the closest show to TBBT is Friends( I get some people hate it). The only mystery left in Friends was Ross and Rachel. The only mystery will be Lenny. There isn’t any mystery left with the other two couples and while people are interested in Raj right now ultimately in the end if it doesn’t work fans will be fine with that.

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

I agree with the funny part and the elevator may go with that but I think the average viewer wants a happy ending. The average viewer IMO knows what’s going on but doesn’t overanalyze it like us on here. A good example of people not getting the ending they wanted was HIMYM.  Ted ending up with Robin at the end was believable but the mother dying in the finale was hated by most. (I wasn’t one of them). Thus the finale overall was disliked.

As to the ending of TBBT Seinfeld and TAAHM aren’t comparable shows. No one is ending up in jail or having a piano on them. Those shows aren’t work related shows or couples related shows. I think the closest show to TBBT is Friends( I get some people hate it). The only mystery left in Friends was Ross and Rachel. The only mystery will be Lenny. There isn’t any mystery left with the other two couples and while people are interested in Raj right now ultimately in the end if it doesn’t work fans will be fine with that.

yepp, I agree.

and dropping the piano on someone was thought more figuratively  😯

something else, I have a strong feeling everyone from the cast moaning and being sad TBBT is coming to the end is sort of (un)concious side blow to jim parsons. just my feeling!

• Like 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

4 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

It will NEVER be satisfying to all viewers. Nothing ever is. That is totally unrealistic as I see it. As for syndication, my prediction is that it will be watched years from now by people who didn't even watch it the last 12 years.

I know you hate it but Friends was satisfying IMO for all viewers. I agree you will always gain new, or more likely younger viewers , to watch.  But the people who are watching now will not if they don’t get a happy ending. TBH it shouldn’t be too hard to do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Data Geek said:

I think what you said here is very insightful. People want to see a happy ending, especially with Leonard after everything he's gone through and put up with.

Can't say I recall the last episode of any sitcom ever. I don't think it matters much or any more than any other episode. Historically I watched most sitcoms in syndication and would not have had a clue what order they were made in.

(and no I did not watch friends or HIMYM or TAAHM).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Can't say I recall the last episode of any sitcom ever.

Good point. Thinking back, I can only remember Friends and M*A*S*H. But of all the sitcoms I've ever watched, I don't think I cared about the characters as much as I do in TBBT and the aforementioned.

• Like 2

MASH was IMHO the most complete finale to any TV show. It helped it was movie length and while Hawkeye as the clear number one character, he didn’t dominate the story line in the same way Sheldon has for year, although the finale was centred around him. Everyone got their own farewell story, it was warm and satisfying for all of them. It had the same amount of main characters as BBT but they had individual stories - they weren’t matched up as couples. Was a very different show though so easier to finish off than BBT - war ends, everyone goes on to the next chapter, either staying or going home to those waiting for return or a job. BBT harder to close up because it has multiple pathways. We await how it will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think, Seinfeld had one of the worst series finales. Fortunately,  the Season 9 DVD with the edited version where they are found not guilty.  

Despite some Cheers fans being upset that  Sam and Diane did not end up together in the last  episode It actually doesn't  bother me.  I think it ended fine

Maybe the last scene will be similar to The Mary Tyler Moore Show  last Scene?  The Friends producers use that as an example when writing the Finale Episode for Friends. 

Something, I think would be interesting is if throughout the last episode they give us glimpses into what each of the the Character would be up to and where they would be in 1, 5, 10 15, 25+, etc,. Years. Like 30 Rock and Parks & Recreation did.  I thought that was pretty neat.  I  like a ending like that.  They can  go back and forth between present day and showing where the characters would be in the future. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 3