Season 12 Chit Chat Thread

Tensor

1 hour ago, Itwasdestined said:

MASH was IMHO the most complete finale to any TV show. It helped it was movie length and while Hawkeye as the clear number one character, he didn’t dominate the story line in the same way Sheldon has for year, although the finale was centred around him. Everyone got their own farewell story, it was warm and satisfying for all of them. It had the same amount of main characters as BBT but they had individual stories - they weren’t matched up as couples. Was a very different show though so easier to finish off than BBT - war ends, everyone goes on to the next chapter, either staying or going home to those waiting for return or a job. BBT harder to close up because it has multiple pathways. We await how it will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree with you about MASH  The finale was I think the most watched episode in history.  Of course, war being the backdrop it was an easy way to end it.  TBBT certainly will not be that easy. I always felt that MASH while designated a comedy had many episodes with dramatic arcs. A feature that the tptb should have utilized but chose otherwise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I think, Seinfeld had one of the worst series finales. Fortunately,  the Season 9 DVD with the edited version where they are found not guilty.  

Despite some Cheers fans being upset that  Sam and Diane did not end up together in the last  episode It actually doesn't  bother me.  I think it ended fine

I have to admit, i loved the Seinfeld Finale - probably still one of my favorites because of how it featured nearly everyone who was part of the show. I thought it was pretty funny too.

I guess that's probably the reason i am a little obsessed about how a show ends. A bit like Sheldon in that way. They gave us a good reason for it ending and it was fitting it had most of the cast involved.

I thought the Two and a Half men Finale was a bit crazy but i did enjoy it.

I was a big fan of Everyone Loves Raymond and thought it could have finished stronger.

Have they revealed if TBBT Finale will be a double episode?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I know you hate it but Friends was satisfying IMO for all viewers. I agree you will always gain new, or more likely younger viewers , to watch.  But the people who are watching now will not if they don’t get a happy ending. TBH it shouldn’t be too hard to do.

I don't hate it in the way you seem to be implying. I just never could get into it. And I disagree that everyone was happy. I'm reminded of this article right now:
https://screenrant.com/friends-wrong-problems-fans-choose-ignore/

11 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Can't say I recall the last episode of any sitcom ever.

The only ones I remember were MASH and SOAP and those weren't typical sitcoms.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
lousy typist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't hate it in the way you seem to be implying. I just never could get into it. And I disagree that everyone was happy. I'm reminded of this article right now:
https://screenrant.com/friends-wrong-problems-fans-choose-ignore/

What’s ironic about the list many of the things match up with TBBT. I won’t go through them all but the money thing and the kid thing are two examples. Those characters have many things in common as TBBT

13 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Can't say I recall the last episode of any sitcom ever. I don't think it matters much or any more than any other episode

As usual, your opinion and mine are in total disagreement.😏

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

I have to admit, i loved the Seinfeld Finale - probably still one of my favorites because of how it featured nearly everyone who was part of the show. I thought it was pretty funny too.  I guess that's probably the reason i am a little obsessed about how a show ends. A bit like Sheldon in that way. They gave us a good reason for it ending and it was fitting it had most of the cast involved.

I thought the Two and a Half men Finale was a bit crazy but i did enjoy it.

I was a big fan of Everyone Loves Raymond and thought it could have finished stronger.

Have they revealed if TBBT Finale will be a double episode?

I don’t mind how Raymond ended. For that show it make sense to end with a normal Episode, but the last scene of them at them just sitting around the table talking and eating as a family was nice-ending .

But thinking about it our lives are not ‘series finales’ we don’t all wake up one day and suddenly all go in different directions or separate ways at once unless you in College or High School or if you were all laid off from A job

In reality (especially Family) we all move at different pace in our lives. That what I like about The Raymond finale. They could have held off on Robert and Amy Wedding if they wanted too and Ray get a big time job offer somewhere but they choose to end like any other episode. life goes on as usual

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I don’t mind how Raymond ended. For that show it make sense to end with a normal Episode, but the last scene of them at them just sitting around the table talking and eating as a family was nice-ending .

But thinking about it our lives are not ‘series finales’ we don’t all wake up one day and suddenly all go in different directions or separate ways at once unless you in College or High School or if you were all laid off from A job

In reality (especially Family) we all move at different pace in our lives. That what I like about The Raymond finale. They could have held off on Robert and Amy Wedding if they wanted too and Ray get a big time job offer somewhere but they choose to end like any other episode. life goes on as usual

You make a good point about how it ended depends on what kind of show it is. I agree on the Raymond comment. Someone talked about how Seinfeld ended. While personally I didn’t like how it ended I can understand it.

i hate to compare Friends and TBBT again I think there the type of shows that needed or will need a dramatic ending. I also admit while IMO doable it’s harder for TBBT than Friends. The reason is IMO is fans tended to root for all the characters of Friends. Everyone was rooting for Rachel to get off the plane in the finale. In TBBT there is a certain fans who could careless if Penny gets pregnant and other fans who could careless if Shamy get the Nobel Prize. I don’t think that goes just for people on this thread or the casual viewer it goes for the reviewers like Jessica Radloff.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

i don't know if I could stomach Sheldon getting a massive victory in the series final lol. I Don't hate Sheldon. He is prob the most unique character in TV History. But I Always think about how he would be without Leonard and Pennys influence. Probably even more recluse then the pilot. Maybe even before the pilot. I Think the series final should not celebrate an extension of the Sheldon character. And shedding a light on that characters mission statement. Glorifying something like a Nobel Prize, in gaslighting the character of Sheldon somewhat. The writing might be the issue, it has declined alot. I just don't think people should expect too much from the series final. Same with the HIMYM finalie. Just because it is the finalie, does not guareentee a quality send off. 

I agree.

I not saying Sheldon "should never" get a nobel just that he doesn't deserve one in  the present.  At the moment he hasn't done anything of huge significant or has changed the course of Science to be honoured with such a thing.   He also hasn't done anything to help preserve or build peace in humanity.  This is where if they did a flash forward clips in the last episode and we see that in 30 years Sheldon finally get a Nobel Prize I would not have a problem with that if it make sense. 

The Nobel Prize has lost some of it persige, It credibility and the true value of  what it really means to get one. The whole thing has lost it  ture meaning and point.    It seem like anyone can get a Nobel nowadays for doing nothing.  Our last President (in office for  like only 6 Months) got one just for being black!  I wonder if they regret it now 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

37 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I agree.

I not saying Sheldon "should never" get a nobel just that he doesn't deserve one in  the present.  At the moment he hasn't done anything of huge significant or has changed the course of Science to be honoured with such a thing.   He also hasn't done anything to help preserve or build peace in humanity.  This is where if they did a flash forward clips in the last episode and we see that in 30 years Sheldon finally get a Nobel Prize I would not have a problem with that if it make sense. 

The Nobel Prize has lost some of it persige, It credibility and the true value of  what it really means to get one. The whole thing has lost it  ture meaning and point.    It seem like anyone can get a Nobel nowadays for doing nothing.  Our last President (in office for  like only 6 Months) got one just for being black!  I wonder if they regret it now 

The prizes are widely regarded as the most prestigious awards available in the fields of chemistry, literature, peace activism, physics, and physiology or medicine.

Anyone can get the Peace prize but the other prizes require some serious research.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

The prizes are widely regarded as the most prestigious awards available in the fields of chemistry, literature, peace activism, physics, and physiology or medicine.

Anyone can get the Peace prize but the other prizes require some serious research.

That may be (I not disagreeing there) but  the Nobel Prize has been widely criticized in recent years. 

45 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I agree.

Really? 

2 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

Exactly. The Nobel Peace Prize is based on explainable individual hopes or experiences in the sense of the world community. A scientific Nobel Prize (e.g. for physics, biology or mathematics) is awarded for exceptional and validated research results.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Yes.

What exactly did he do in 6 Months to deserve such a thing other than being The First Black President? Even now he doesn't deserve one 

Sorry...

opinion2.gif.508158c7c3fa27e232906dd41c853580.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Yes.

What exactly did he do in 6 Months to deserve such a thing other than being The First Black President? Even now he doesn't deserve one 

The peace prize has nothing to do with those prizes handed out in Stockholm, totally different committees.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Doesn't really matter if it is or not 

If you think the Nobel prizes are a garbage award there is probably nothing I can do to change that opinion, so peace out...

Edited by Swedish Chef
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

If you think the Nobel prizes are a garbage reward there is probably nothing I can do to change that opinion, so peace out...

I didn't say they were Garbage.   You just putting words in my mouth. It is  a very prestigious award . I only said it has lost some  of of it meaning.  It has been criticized in recent years some maybe warranted some maybe not. But anyone should be very honored if they such an award 

21 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Many people do agree.

I actually don't think any of the living President (Except for Jimmy Carter who already has one) deserve one.  I would feel same way if Bush or Trump got one 

So... people are saying...

/out

Regarding Sheldon. It’s obviously a fictional universe. They can do what they want. A big call like giving him a science Nobel just emphasises how contrived the whole enterprise is. It’s just a simulacrum of reality. They may as well make him fly. Or have a sex drive. Oh, wait.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Chrismo said:

What’s ironic about the list many of the things match up with TBBT. I won’t go through them all but the money thing and the kid thing are two examples. Those characters have many things in common as TBBT

That's possible. I don't know.

40 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

This is so true.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Yes.

So, you didn't even bother to read the Prize announcement?  It would tell you exactly why the committee awarded the prize to Obama.

28 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

I didn't say they were Garbage.   You just putting words in my mouth. It is  a very prestigious award . I only said it has lost some  of of it meaning.  It has been criticized in recent years some maybe warranted some maybe not. But anyone should be very honored if they such an award 

How has it lost meaning?  So, it's been criticized.  That, on it's own is not reason to think it's lost some of it's meaning.  Which criticisms are valid?  Which are not?  Can you be more specific as to which criticisms have lead to it's losing some of it's meaning?  

• Like 3

I never realized that Rati Gupta grew up near where i live now. I've been to Michigan City, Indiana many times. It's quite close to me. Her father was a doctor and wanted her to go to medical school.  There's an article about her in the Northwest Indiana Post Tribune.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/opinion/ct-ptb-davich-rati-gupta-big-bang-theory-st-0306-story.html

There  lot of  examples of bad finales and good finales.    But no matter what they won't be able to please everyone 

The Mary Tyler Moore in many ways set the gold standard for TV  series finales, mainly sitcoms.  It was really the first TV Show to have "series finale"  in the way we think of them today as up until then most TV Shows ended with just a regular Episode. When you watch The series finales of Three's Company, The Golden Girls,  Cheers, Friends, 30 Rock, etc,. you see it influence to some extent especially the last scenes of those shows. 

The Producers of Friends and 30 Rock modeled the series finale of those shows after Mary Tyler Moore Show.  

• Like 1

How did The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Golden Girls end ? I used to watch those but had no idea what happened when they ended. We may not have been shown all of them and wouldn't have been told they were ending anyway.