Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tensor

Season 12 Chit Chat Thread

Recommended Posts

Last I knew this show is a comedy.
There was one whole episode of Sheldon trying to seduce Amy. I'm going to go with--he wants them.
You mean the episode where Sheldon chases Amy around because he wanted a kid for his own selfish reasons and gain. Last time I checked couple sit down and talk about having kids. Amy was right to fob him off and should have had a go at him for being such a dickhead and not taking her feelings into consideration. Sheldon deciding with no input from Amy is not the way you go about a massive decision like having kids. Did he even think about her job, or the responsibilities of raising a child. Not a good episode to use as an example.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

You mean the episode where Sheldon chases Amy around because he wanted a kid for his own selfish reasons and gain. Last time I checked couple sit down and talk about having kids. Amy was right to fob him off and should have had a go at him for being such a dickhead and not taking her feelings into consideration. Sheldon deciding with no input from Amy is not the way you go about a massive decision like having kids. Did he even think about her job, or the responsibilities of raising a child. Not a good episode to use as an example.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
 

No big deal It's not like he forced himself on her He tried to seduce her, she said no, end of story

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No big deal It's not like he forced himself on her He tried to seduce her, she said no, end of story
Yep, if you call multiple times no big deal and she kept saying no.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shell said:

There was one whole episode of Sheldon trying to seduce Amy. I'm going to go with--he wants them.

Yeah, he wants them for experimental purposes. That's the Beverly Hofstadter reasoning for having kids!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chrismo said:

1. Is lowering his underpants based on excitement over nerve cells believable or for laughs? 

2. Naming all his kids after Raj  believable or for laughs?

3. Naming his Martian children believable or just for laughs?

4. Sheldon mentioning  wanting 15 kids in triplets or quints believable or just laughs?

Based on the above can you really say that’s proof he wants kids? I can’t be the only that just laughed at what he said and moved on

Is anything on this show believable or just for laughs? We could have that debate about almost any topic until the end of time. To the above, though, I'd also add the test tube baby conversation that led to Penny convincing them to have a real date, and the fact that we found out that Sheldon has watched the kids before when he told Howardette he had used their shower in the ep about the annoying deck.

10 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Last time I checked couple sit down and talk about having kids.

Lenny didn't and a lot of fans think they are owed kids from them.

2 hours ago, chucky said:

That's the Beverly Hofstadter reasoning for having kids!

Sheldon liking Beverly gets so much flak. But Beverly is actually nice to Sheldon. He likes her because she likes him. That has nothing to do with how she treats Leonard. It's about how she treats Sheldon, and nothing more. You can certainly have a stage in your life when you think you like someone else's mother better than your own. That does happen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheldon liking Beverly gets so much flak. But Beverly is actually nice to Sheldon. He likes her because she likes him. That has nothing to do with how she treats Leonard. It's about how she treats Sheldon, and nothing more. You can certainly have a stage in your life when you think you like someone else's mother better than your own. That does happen.
Did Leonard make a decision on them having babies without talking to penny about it and bugged penny to have kids. I didnt think so. Lenny have not decided to have kids yet, just some day until penny drop the bombshell she doesn't want kids. Leonard dreams of having kids with penny one day and there is nothing wrong with that. As an intelligent woman, Amy should have pull him up on his behaviour. Is Sheldon living in the 19 century where a women has no say.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Sheldon liking Beverly gets so much flak. But Beverly is actually nice to Sheldon. He likes her because she likes him. That has nothing to do with how she treats Leonard. It's about how she treats Sheldon, and nothing more. You can certainly have a stage in your life when you think you like someone else's mother better than your own.

Sheldon takes it to the extreme. Beverly is one of his idols and heroes!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

Did Leonard make a decision on them having babies without talking to penny about it and bugged penny to have kids. I didnt think so. Lenny have not decided to have kids yet, just some day until penny drop the bombshell she doesn't want kids. Leonard dreams of having kids with penny one day and there is nothing wrong with that. As an intelligent woman, Amy should have pull him up on his behaviour. Is Sheldon living in the 19 century where a women has no say.

This comment has nothing to do with my post about Sheldon liking Beverly. I'm not sure why it was quoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting article about what it means when people are described as having "no personality". https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/03/no-personality/584488/

It mentions a study which asked people to pick a notable TV character with no personality. Sheldon was a popular choice. I would have thought the problem with Sheldon was too much personality. Indeed, some people put Sheldon forward as TV character with lots of personality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tripper said:

An interesting article about what it means when people are described as having "no personality". https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/03/no-personality/584488/

It mentions a study which asked people to pick a notable TV character with no personality. Sheldon was a popular choice. I would have thought the problem with Sheldon was too much personality. Indeed, some people put Sheldon forward as TV character with lots of personality.

That IS strange

Sheldon has been blessed with massive personality No personality=boring That ain't Sheldon

Edited by shell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tripper said:

An interesting article about what it means when people are described as having "no personality". https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/03/no-personality/584488/

It mentions a study which asked people to pick a notable TV character with no personality. Sheldon was a popular choice. I would have thought the problem with Sheldon was too much personality. Indeed, some people put Sheldon forward as TV character with lots of personality.

We should ask Leonard. As a roommate and supposedly best friend, he should know best of all.

L: Mm, Sheldon, you didn't have a personality; you just had some shows you liked.
S7/Ep16

s_090.gif.8e44509dcca645687d376c47611c7866.gif

 😉

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, veejay said:

We should ask Leonard. As a roommate and supposedly best friend, he should know best of all.

L: Mm, Sheldon, you didn't have a personality; you just had some shows you liked.
S7/Ep16

s_090.gif.8e44509dcca645687d376c47611c7866.gif

 😉

If anyone knows about whether Sheldon has a personality or not, it would be Leonard. He's known him for over 12 years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So two rockets were shot toward central Israel recently... One was intercepted, no information on the other but there were no injuries reported. This is sort of an everyday reality for those who live close to Gaza, but when rockets are launched toward central Israel it is considered major escalation and may lead to war (or an "operation" 'cause that's what wars are usually called nowadays...). Yay...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bfm said:

So two rockets were shot toward central Israel recently... One was intercepted, no information on the other but there were no injuries reported. This is sort of an everyday reality for those who live close to Gaza, but when rockets are launched toward central Israel it is considered major escalation and may lead to war (or an "operation" 'cause that's what wars are usually called nowadays...). Yay...

I hope you and yours are staying safe @bfm .

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bfm said:

So two rockets were shot toward central Israel recently... One was intercepted, no information on the other but there were no injuries reported. This is sort of an everyday reality for those who live close to Gaza, but when rockets are launched toward central Israel it is considered major escalation and may lead to war (or an "operation" 'cause that's what wars are usually called nowadays...). Yay...

Terrible prospects. So sad!

image-1356428.jpg.8ee407e77da5c092e1fc94cd58d29776.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kind of surprised me. I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out.  Greta Thunberg, 16, the Swedish schoolgirl who has inspired an international movement to fight climate change, has been nominated as a candidate to receive this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47568227?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=facebook&ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&fbclid=IwAR2HutcLWRLca_nq91JyXhSb7IvAld6uaMj8ZMWCp2AhRQXp8FsXS4dKAqU

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Variety

Pilot Season 2019: Multi-Camera Comedies Remain in High Demand

For the second pilot season in a row, multi-camera comedies have proven to be a hot commodity.

<snip>

One TV lit agent who spoke with Variety views this year as a natural “course correction” from when single-cams were all the rage. Following the success of single-camera shows like “Modern Family” and “The Office,” broadcasters bent over backwards to get single-cams on their airwaves. But as broadcast looks to remain competitive with cable and streaming, the networks are always looking for ways to improve their bottom line. That is perhaps the biggest advantage multi-cams have over single-cams — they are much cheaper to produce and therefore can be more financially lucrative for networks, particularly if they hail from the network’s vertically integrated studio.

Multi-cams also have plenty of potential to become runaway hits. One need look no further than CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory,” which remains one of the highest-rated and most-watched shows on TV even in its twelfth and final season. Fellow CBS multi-cam “Mom” also enjoys solid ratings in its sixth season, with the network picking the Allison Janney-Anna Farris led series up for two more seasons back in February. Fox also had the much-anticipated seventh season revival of “Last Man Standing” this past fall, with that show surging in the ratings over its sixth season on ABC.

Multi-cams have been criticized for not being strong awards contenders anymore, which is only partially true. In the 2018 Emmy nominations, no multi-cams were nominated for best comedy series. Still, Janney remains a perennial favorite in the lead actress in a comedy category, having been nominated for the Emmy for “Mom” five times and winning twice. Likewise, Jim Parsons has been nominated for his role on “Big Bang Theory” six times, winning four. Christine Baranski and Mayim Bialik have also picked up multiple nods in the supporting actress in a comedy and guest actress in a comedy category respectively for their work on “Big Bang Theory,” while Laurie Metcalf has recently picked up nominations for appearing on “Big Bang Theory” and in the revival of “Roseanne.”

(full article in the link)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vonmar said:

That is perhaps the biggest advantage multi-cams have over single-cams — they are much cheaper to produce and therefore can be more financially lucrative for networks, particularly if they hail from the network’s vertically integrated studio.

So, why are they "much cheaper to produce"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

So, why are they "much cheaper to produce"?

One thing I can think of is time to shoot scenes. Multi camera means you have several cameras shooting at once to capture a scene from different angles and have reactions of other characters instantaneously (no need for another take for Penny’s reaction to what Sheldon says—one camera on Sheldon another on Penny-in editing it can be put together). With a single camera, they need to shoot the scene with the camera focused o Sheldon, then shoot it again, focusing on Penny. Of course this is just a guess on my part and a simple example somebody (Tensor) help!!!

Edited by hokie3457
So many keyboarding errors! Sorry to readers of the original!
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hokie3457 said:

One thing I can think of is time to shoot scenes. Multi camera means you have several cameras shooting at once to capture a scene from different angles and have reactions of other characters instantaneously (no need for another take for Penny’s reaction to what Sheldon says—one camera on Sheldon another on Penny-in editing it can be put together). With a single camera, they need to shoot the scene with the camera focused o Sheldon, then shoot it again, focusing on Penny. Of course this is just a guess on my part and a simple example somebody (Tensor) help!!!

Sounds right to me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a current episode of "Back to the Future" coming into the cinemas...

D1ktAsuWoAEknkl.jpg.4263dfc3e0f6b0de2b9fb546f5e6f25d.jpg

…but seriously, you can't even sell that as a big spoiler, can you?  😉
(Sorry, my dear Brits)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 5:43 AM, hokie3457 said:

One thing I can think of is time to shoot scenes. Multi camera means you have several cameras shooting at once to capture a scene from different angles and have reactions of other characters instantaneously (no need for another take for Penny’s reaction to what Sheldon says—one camera on Sheldon another on Penny-in editing it can be put together). With a single camera, they need to shoot the scene with the camera focused o Sheldon, then shoot it again, focusing on Penny. Of course this is just a guess on my part and a simple example somebody (Tensor) help!!!

You got the big reason right.   It simply takes longer to film single camera shows than, multi camera.   One thing you missed was the framing shot.  That's where they film the entire group, to "frame" the scene.  In terms of TBBT, a single cam would film, say, the entire group in 4A.  Then they would film each individual, when they have lines.  If all seven were there and had lines, they would have to shot the scene eight times (the framing shot, and each of the individuals.).  Oh, they may cheat a bit and put two people (say Howardette, Shamy or Lenny) in a shot, but they would still have to have four other shots in that case (three couples and Raj) for a total of five shots.  Then, it has to be edited and put together.   Editing on multi-cams tends to be less time intensive also, as you don't have to "fit" each clip, quite as much.  

This, of course takes time.  There is a clip of a group interview with the best actor emmy nominees in 2011, and the guy from new girl was talking abut 12-14 hour days, five days a week.  Modern Family was looking at 8-10 hour days, but Ty Burrell, pointed at Johnny and said his schedule is what he wanted.  Johnny admitted they have to be careful about who get their schedule.  Even with the 10-12 hour taping day, TBBT actors spend about 30 hours a week on set.  Which means they don't usually have to pay overtime to the crew, which they have to do with those 12-14 hour days, which means a higher cost.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I think single-camera shows aren't usually in front of a live audience, are they? I mean, who would want to sit and watch actors film the same scene seven or eight times when it doesn't even include bloopers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

Also, I think single-camera shows aren't usually in front of a live audience, are they? I mean, who would want to sit and watch actors film the same scene seven or eight times when it doesn't even include bloopers.

While true, that usually doesn't affect the cost of a single cam show.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tensor said:

You got the big reason right.   It simply takes longer to film single camera shows than, multi camera.   One thing you missed was the framing shot.  That's where they film the entire group, to "frame" the scene.  In terms of TBBT, a single cam would film, say, the entire group in 4A.  Then they would film each individual, when they have lines.  If all seven were there and had lines, they would have to shot the scene eight times (the framing shot, and each of the individuals.).  Oh, they may cheat a bit and put two people (say Howardette, Shamy or Lenny) in a shot, but they would still have to have four other shots in that case (three couples and Raj) for a total of five shots.  Then, it has to be edited and put together.   Editing on multi-cams tends to be less time intensive also, as you don't have to "fit" each clip, quite as much.  

This, of course takes time.  There is a clip of a group interview with the best actor emmy nominees in 2011, and the guy from new girl was talking abut 12-14 hour days, five days a week.  Modern Family was looking at 8-10 hour days, but Ty Burrell, pointed at Johnny and said his schedule is what he wanted.  Johnny admitted they have to be careful about who get their schedule.  Even with the 10-12 hour taping day, TBBT actors spend about 30 hours a week on set.  Which means they don't usually have to pay overtime to the crew, which they have to do with those 12-14 hour days, which means a higher cost.

 

Thanks @Tensor !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.