The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 12 Chit Chat Thread

1 hour ago, son-goku5 said:

Without the Russians and James Comey, she would have been.

Nonsense. Not one voter has been identified as being influenced to vote for Trump because Russia bought some Facebook ads. IF Comey had done his job Clinton would have been indicted for her mishandling of classified material. She broke the law and avoided prosecution because of who she is. 

Because Michael Jordan is almost religiously anti-political. MJ does nothing that would be seen as political, which translates that MJ doesn't speak out against Donald. But LJ does, and Trump can't stand that. And before you start trying to explain that his rage at people criticizing him has nothing to do with race or misogyny, there are white men blasting Trump (just look at what Gregg Popovich, head coach of the San Antonio spurs, says about Donald) and Trump doesn't say anything about them. No tweet, no comment in one of his rallies

There may be merit to your argument. Or, it may be that no one thinks for one second that Popovich has anything close to the public, and media, appeal of Lebron James. Thus, Trump feels no compulsion to engage Popovich in one of his Twitter rants. To consider Trump's tirades about LJ to be from an inherently racist viewpoint, a pattern of primarily engaging non-white critics would have to be established. Fact is, Trump has entered into a multitude of Twitter fights with his white detractors. He reacts poorly to criticism and would be greatly served if he'd lose his phone.

You mean when Trump offered to send in the "feds" or the National Guard? Yeah, because tanks rolling through black neighborhoods is such a great idea. Otherwise, he has never offered anything of substance. To be more accurate, his answer to that question, how to fix things in Chicago was “By being very much tougher than they are right now.” So, a typical Trump answer.

There is no easy, or hard, fix to Chicago. Most of the violence is gang related. Until people wise up to the fact that gangs are nothing more than street level organized crime syndicates and stop listening to the recruitment rhetoric these problems will continue in inner city neighborhoods. Much has been written about the causes of the social breakdowns of these areas and many solutions have been attempted. Sadly, gangs equal crime. Crime equals money. Money equals power. That lives are destroyed along the way means little, or nothing, to the people at the top of the gang hierarchy. 

Edited by HeWolf

35 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

The individual mandate was intended to offset the costs incurred by compelling insurers to provide coverage to people that had been previously classified as un-insurable. Like most things designed by politicians and bureaucrats, it didn't work as intended. For many young people, (those the individual mandate was supposed to pull into the insurance pool), the benefit of avoiding the penalty for not purchasing insurance was not enough incentive to make them buy costly coverage that they felt did not conform to their situation and needs.  

Just a little hyperbolic.  I don’t know how you otherwise imagine societies to be organised. Massive hyper-corporations perhaps, or tribes. Golly.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

1 minute ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Just a little hyperbolic.  I don’t know how you otherwise imagine societies to be organised. 

I don't agree that it's hyperbolic. The law of unintended consequences inevitably comes into play. 

'Many' things might be a better way to say it. Doesn't change the basic premise. 

5 hours ago, HeWolf said:

I don't agree that it's hyperbolic. The law of unintended consequences inevitably comes into play. 

'Many' things might be a better way to say it. Doesn't change the basic premise. 

People are complex, selling is easy, managing societies is hard. Unrestrained capitalism gave you burning rivers. Some inefficiencies will always exist, it’s one of the costs not of being small, agrarian or pre-technological.  

Every big enough society evolves bureaucrats to keep things running. Or you will grow tribes, or hyper-corporations. Maybe not democracy. Just to be as hyperbolic.

edit: and want a non political, non bureaucratic example of unintended consequences? Everything resulting from Facebook

Complex systems, who knew.

Spelling: Bearocrats would be worse. More spelling

59 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

the benefit of avoiding the penalty for not purchasing insurance was not enough incentive to make them buy costly coverage that they felt did not conform to their situation and needs.  

More precise, young people think they're invincible and therefore don't need insurance. Until they get sick.

I never really understood that mindset. Even in the US, when you get yourself a car, you are mandated to have car insurance. I don't see people protesting in the street to get rid of that mandate. And there's a chance that you can drive a car every day for 50 years without ever having to use your insurance, which would mean that you have wasted all that money.

But if there's one thing that you can be sure of, one thing that will happen 100%, it's the fact that at some point in your life, you WILL get sick. And for that, you should be insured because medical bills can go into tens of thousands of dollars

54 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Per capita is a meaningless number. I'm sure that's would make family members at ease. 10% of 10 and 9 percent of 100 still means 8 people  more dead in the 100 number. All I know there has been more marches in Chicago lately and I live in a nearby suburb. What's more hysterical is the CNBC and CNN's of the world talked about Rudy having his dead numbers screwed up more than about the people who died.

When you say per capita, you can't say "this per 10 and compare it to that per 100". You need to see the per hundred for both sides. Homicide numbers are tallied per 100,000 people. St. Louis has almost 60 homicides for every 100,000 citizens, while Chicago is at half that number, 30 for every 100,000 citizens. That's significant.

49 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Nonsense. Not one voter has been identified as being influenced to vote for Trump because Russia bought some Facebook ads. IF Comey had done his job Clinton would have been indicted for her mishandling of classified material. She broke the law and avoided prosecution because of who she is.

Since you can't really ask every single voter (not that anyone would admit that they led them themselves get conned), I look at polling data before the election. In the three states, where 77,000 people decided the election, Hillary was leading ~5-6%. And after James Comey sent that latter to congress, knowing it would be released to the public immediately, her lead fell constantly.

There may be merit to your argument. Or, it may be that no one thinks for one second that Popovich has anything close to the public, and media, appeal of Lebron James. Thus, Trump feels no compulsion to engage Popovich in one of his Twitter rants. To consider Trump's tirades about LJ to be from an inherently racist viewpoint, a pattern on only engaging non-white critics would have to be established. Fact is, Trump has entered into a multitude of Twitter fights with his white detractors.

He  doesn'T really engage into twitter fights with anyone, Trump is a coward. But he mostly rants against people of color and women, and he also uses slurwords on them. Black people oftentimes are "stupid" or "low IQ". But yes, he also has some white people that he often tweets against, people like Joe Scarborough, though he never ever would dare to say these things to their faces because he's a coward.

There is no easy, or hard, fix to Chicago. Most of the violence is gang related. Until people wise up to the fact that gangs are nothing more than street level organized crime syndicates and stop listening to the recruitment rhetoric these problems will continue in inner city neighborhoods. Much has been written about the causes of the social breakdowns of these areas and many solutions have been attempted. Sadly, gangs equal crime. Crime equals money. Money equals power. That lives are destroyed along the way means little, or nothing, to the people at the top of the gang hierarchy.

Agreed.

59 minutes ago, HeWolf said:

Like most things designed by politicians and bureaucrats, it didn't work as intended.

Actually, a lot was written by experts. But with every bill, especially in the US, once it's written, the special interests come in and start watering down the bill. Also, remember that the republicans in the various committes suggested dozens of additions to the bill which were all accepted by the Democrats.

• Like 2

There is a big difference between car insurance and health insurance. Cars kill others. No health insurance only effects you

20 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

There is a big difference between car insurance and health insurance. Cars kill others. No health insurance only effects you

... and your kids, your spouse, your parents, your employer, your church, your friends, your school...

i could be wrong of course.

12 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

... and your kids, your spouse, your parents, your employer, your church, your friends, your school...

i could be wrong of course.

An early posted referred to young people and that was what I meant.

3 hours ago, Chrismo said:

No it doesn't, it affects everyone.  Unless the person who doesn't have insurance can pay for everything themselves, cost for uninsured emergency room care is absorbed by the hospital (depending on which study it's between 40 and 100 billion dollars a year).   Which then has to raise prices, to cover the losses from the uninsured, which affects everyone.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

No it doesn't, it affects everyone.  Unless the person who doesn't have insurance can pay for everything themselves, cost for uninsured emergency room care is absorbed by the hospital (depending on which study it's between 40 and 100 billion dollars a year).   Which then has to raise prices, to cover the losses from the uninsured, which affects everyone.  

I wrote a long screed but lost it.

I have this thought that healthcare should be considered like defense. A public good. Everyone pays for it, if they can; no one fails to benefit from it, if they need it.

Am I mad?

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

Just look at his current attacks on Lebron James.

I am REALLY hoping that attack on LeBron helps out with the special election that just ended in Ohio, but it's going to be a nail biter. I hope Danny O'Connor, the Democrat, wins but it's going to be pretty close from what I can tell. It can't have helped Trump's candidate that he also insulted the county that a large percentage of the votes come from, though.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/troy-balderson-franklin-county.html

6 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

MJ does nothing that would be seen as political, which translates that MJ doesn't speak out against Donald.

MJ spoke for LeBron in this instance.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/08/04/michael-jordan-statement-lebron-jamesdonald-trump-tweet

6 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I'm sure that's would make family members at ease.

I live 45 minutes from Chicago. I grew up there. Most of these family members know who is doing the shootings and won't turn them in. There is more black on black killing than killing by police. If the police wanted these people dead they would just stay out of their neighborhoods. It's sad but it's true.

6 hours ago, HeWolf said:

There is no easy, or hard, fix to Chicago. Most of the violence is gang related.

There have been gangs in Chicago since at least the 60's. The Latin Kings used to hang out in a playground I could walk to when I was a kid. This is something different now than there used to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I am REALLY hoping that attack on LeBron helps out with the special election that just ended in Ohio, but it's going to be a nail biter. I hope Danny O'Connor, the Democrat, wins but it's going to be pretty close from what I can tell. It can't have helped Trump's candidate that he also insulted the county that a large percentage of the votes come from, though.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/08/troy-balderson-franklin-county.html

MJ spoke for LeBron in this instance.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/08/04/michael-jordan-statement-lebron-jamesdonald-trump-tweet

I live 45 minutes from Chicago. I grew up there. Most of these family members know who is doing the shootings and won't turn them in. There is more black on black killing than killing by police. If the police wanted these people dead they would just stay out of their neighborhoods. It's sad but it's true.

There have been gangs in Chicago since at least the 60's. The Latin Kings used to hang out in a playground I could walk to when I was a kid. This is something different now than there used to be.

Miriam Margoyles (Professor Sprout/naturalised Australian/Jewish lesbian) did a doco wherein she visited Chicago amongst other places. You can get shot standing on the wrong street, she discovered, and she reported three deaths occurring, maybe because people congregated when they heard she was in a park. Bananas, to me. It’s hard to unpack. Make bullets really super expensive maybe? The guns problem is hard. Glad we don’t have it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

I wrote a long screed but lost it.

I have this thought that healthcare should be considered like defense. A public good. Everyone pays for it, if they can; no one fails to benefit from it, if they need it.

Am I mad?

You are not mad ! A lot of countries see it that way. It's the same as having compulsory education - it benefits no-one to be surrounded by illiterati.  I was born into postwar rationing when it was thought boosting and maintaining the health of under - fives  and their mothers was good for everybody. Oh for the taste of that free orange juice !  I remember when my parents were allowed to buy me a banana for the first time. My dad mashed it up for me with sugar and tinned cream. Later, when my mother was expecting my sister she could have them too. (No, she didn't teach me to eat them horizontally. :) )  Largely the policy was an expansion to the whole population of trials that had taken place in the 1920s and 1930s when there had been a lot of poverty due to fluctuating economic conditions.  There were other measures, such as free eye tests and spectacles for all ages, too numerous to go into.

This attitude was found to be so helpful it was still around when I was an adult working on Maternity and Child Welfare and  Open Immunisation  clinics. Packages were sent out  to new parents with a clinic appointment card tucked into the cover of the booklet that was packed among the free gifts. Good  ( or those who wanted to be thought so ) mothers, and sometimes fathers ,of all classes brought their babies in.  As a nation, nobody ( or perhaps hardly anybody ) rich, poor, or in-between questions that it  would be  bad for a country to have needlessly sick or disabled people roaming about when they could be made well enough to contribute to the world. If  someone is not getting the treatment they need, or say they need, it  literally makes the  TV news. Money paid to mothers of children under sixteen has a 98% take-up.  We all have to pay towards education even if we have no children, and towards a police force because we want law and order even if we are well- behaved and honest ourselves. Indeed we all want an adequate navy, army and air force to protect us even if we have no intention ourselves of learning to fight. (Yes, I recall that the latter was not always so. History books say that one cause of the civil war was that the king wanted all taxpayers wherever they lived,not just coastal towns, to pay Ship Money - ie contribute to the costs of the navy. ) 

• Like 2

Trump's candidate, Republican Troy Balderson, is claiming victory in the Ohio special election, but by less than 1%. (The Associated Press has yet to call the race.) With provisional ballots yet to be counted, the race will probably continue on into Wednesday. Danny O'Connor, the Democrat, is not conceding. With 100% of precincts reporting, Balderson leads 50.2% to 49.3%, a margin of 1,754 votes. They have to run against each other again in November. This district has been Republican for nigh onto forever. Even if Balderson wins, most Republicans are going to be appalled that it came down to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

You've just offended Al Capone, "Baby Face" Nelson, John Dillinger, Sam Giancana, Bugs Moran...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Trump's candidate, Republican Troy Balderson, is claiming victory in the Ohio special election, but by less than 1%. (The Associated Press has yet to call the race.) With provisional ballots yet to be counted, the race will probably continue on into Wednesday. Danny O'Connor, the Democrat, is not conceding. With 100% of precincts reporting, Balderson leads 50.2% to 49.3%, a margin of 1,754 votes. They have to run against each other again in November. This district has been Republican for nigh onto forever. Even if Balderson wins, most Republicans are going to be appalled that it came down to this.

Something like over 60 seats are less tightly R than this one had been.

I’d be interested if someone  could articulate for me the concerns of the American right regarding the ACA? Not the death panel nonsense or problems with its execution, but more the principles for resistance?

I had the thought that it might be “rugged individualism”. But if one wants to access c21 medical technology then unless one is born into good circumstance or get lucky or are exceptional, without universal coverage you miss out. Or as Tensor notes, get expensive traumatic treatment at emergency rooms rather cheaper preventative care.  

There are many ethical and moral and even financial arguments for helping your neighbours. Why is the resistance to the ACA, a right wing Heritage Foundation idea and market based, so deep? Is it simply partisanship or is it a cultural thing? Or is it because it wasn’t included in your country’s owners manual that was written several centuries ago?

We had the debate back in the 70’s and it took two national election cycles to resolve x the left brought it in, the right took it out, the left brought it back, and it stuck - so now  we have basic universal coverage. If you want a buttock implant, then that’s elective and you self insure or buy private coverage, but my child had free neonatal care for 3 months.

i don’t understand the principles of the resistance to the ACA, which in someways tried to harness the industry to serve the citizens, rather than having the citizens serve the industry. 

• Like 1

Trump admitted that his son committed a felony (after Don Jr did it himself months ago). Wonder when the indictment against Trump Jr. comes...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

You've just offended Al Capone, "Baby Face" Nelson, John Dillinger, Sam Giancana, Bugs Moran... 

Those gangs usually hit who they were aiming at unlike now. I actually knew an old lady whose husband had messed up some money laundering under Capone and wound up dead in a cornfield in NW Indiana.

3 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

Trump admitted that his son committed a felony (after Don Jr did it himself months ago). Wonder when the indictment against Trump Jr. comes...

Oh, I wish. Do you know what it would have been like if Obama had stood on a stage with five kids from three different women? All hell would have broken lose from those racist losers. That whole family drives me nuts. Trump was screwing his second wife while married to his first, screwing his third wife while married to his second, and screwing around on his third and still the evangelicals support him.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke

8 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Those gangs usually hit who they were aiming at unlike now. I actually knew an old lady whose husband had messed up some money laundering under Capone and wound up dead in a cornfield in NW Indiana.

Oh, I wish. Do you know what it would have been like if Obama had stood on a stage with five kids from three different women? All hell would have broken lose from those racist losers. That whole family drives me nuts. Trump was screwing his second wife while married to his first, screwing his third wife while married to his second, and screwing around on his third and still the evangelicals support him.

Oh, the cognitive dissonce. It still amazes me that e pluribus unum got the flick and they substituted In God We Trust. Quite recently too, 1956. I wonder if people remember or are taught that it changed. Trumpism would be undercut by a national motto of “One out of many”. 

The racists have been playing a long game. 

8 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Really ? I didn't know any of that. I merely noticed he'd got memory issues and have been wondering why nobody is getting him seen to. One expects compassion from religious believers,  not endorsement of  nonsense.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

Really ? I didn't know any of that. I merely noticed he'd got memory issues and have been wondering why nobody is getting him seen to. One expects compassion from religious believers,  not endorsement of  nonsense.

Religious tribalism allows many bad things to happen. Not saying Marx was right completely- that’s a bit too deep a pool to dive into - but maybe  most people empathise  in tight concentric circles. I suspect the circles goes “me, kin, people like me and my kin, others”. 

And when you put religious believers and endorsement of nonsense together in a sentence... well, I get confused.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:17 AM, HeWolf said:

This niggled at me

I’m not sure about your claim of nonsense. Facebook has a market capitalisation of $400billion plus because its advertising model works. Facebook identifies receptive audiences and delivers focused and relevant product advertising to them.   Trump invested heavily in Facebook and not in free-to-air media because he (his campaign) knew he could target receptive voters. 

The Russian materials had millions of views by people preselected to be receptive to their messaging. People like those who think that the FBI abrogated its legislated responsibilities, when much legal analysis concurs that by custom, practice and legal standard the Secretary of State’s electronic document handling arrangements were stupid, but not criminal. So by putting their propaganda and disinformation materials into Facebook the Russians were quite likely to have successfully nudged those already with a predisposition.  

The echo-chamber effect of social media is well recognised. Just look at this forum. People get angry about known fictions.

And the margins were so tight. It would not have taken much of a nudge to lift turnout for one and suppress it for another. Putin admitted in Helsinki he wanted a Trump result. 

It seems that effective Russian nudging is a highly plausible proposition. And Trump welcomed it at least by proxy. “If it’s what you say, I love it” said his son. Not so much the nonsense you might think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Religious tribalism allows many bad things to happen. Not saying Marx was right completely- that’s a bit too deep a pool to dive into - but maybe  most people empathise  in tight concentric circles. I suspect the circles goes “me, kin, people like me and my kin, others”. 

And when you put religious believers and endorsement of nonsense together in a sentence... well, I get confused.

It is always painful for those of us that have believed that religion is the way to overcome tribalism.

...whenever we feel the compulsion to insist that “we are first” and our interests matter more than the needs and concerns of others, we are on our way to the back of the line. “The first,” according to Jesus of Nazareth, “shall be last” (Matthew 20:16). https://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-jinkins/the-first-shall-be-last-t_b_11875454.html

2 hours ago, djsurrey said:

It is always painful for those of us that have believed that religion is the way to overcome tribalism.

Yes, but keep hoping. 😀

People are what they are. I quit Sunday School long ago so I know little, though I have an inkling that you can argue that Jesus was a socialist - rich man/camel needle and all the charity stuff etc, and Christian social justice doctrines are quite progressive. I suspect the red meat seems to be in the Old Testament, and there is a lot of stuff you can  cherry pick from in the various books written in BCE pre-technological times by agrarian folk that, when taken out of their historical context by literal readers, supports repression of the “others” and defence of your tribe. 

I suspect though that mostly it’s about “me & mine vs them”, and much of the religiosity is a gloss. 

I’m  not going to do a bible study session and pick bits of scripture, but religion has served an organising principle for other objectives forever. Despite the best intentions of some, and serving the ill-intentions of many.

And the USA is the least secular of any of the first world nations, yet it is the most violent.  You have to go to Somali to find similar levels of gun ownership and gun deaths. Paradoxical, huh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

And the USA is the least secular of any of the first world nations, yet it is the most violent.  You have to go to Somali to find similar levels of gun ownership and gun deaths. Paradoxical, huh.

I'm not sure they are the least secular. Angela Merkel is the chairwomen of The Christian Democratic Union of Germany. I don't know much of anything about German politics but only that Germany seemed to be willing to accept refuges from Syria in large numbers.

In her 2005 campaign, Angela Merkel was unwilling to express explicitly Christian views, while maintaining that her party had never lost its "concept of values". Merkel and Bundestag President Norbert Lammert have been keen to clarify that CDU references to the "dominant culture" imply "tolerance and living together".[13] According to party analyst Stephan Eisel, her avoiding the values-issue may have had the opposite effect as she failed to mobilize the party's core constituency.[18]

The CDU applies the principles of Christian democracy and emphasizes the "Christian understanding of humans and their responsibility toward God." CDU membership consists however of people adhering to a variety of religions as well as non-religious individuals. The CDU's policies derive from political Catholicism, Catholic social teaching and political Protestantism, as well as fiscal conservatism and national conservatism. The party has adopted more liberal economicpolicies since Helmut Kohl's term in office as the Chancellor of Germany (1982–1998).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Democratic_Union_of_Germany

The UK, Canada and Australia have the same head of state who is also the head of the Church of England. Perhaps this does not mean much when our head of state does not make political decisions. Or perhaps it does mean something. "God save the Queen".

The foundations for Canada's Medicare system originated in a religious political figure.

Tommy Douglas — who was at times labelled a “Red” and a “Communist” by his political opponents — won the honour largely for his belief that every Canadian deserved the right to have quality health care, regardless of their economic or social situation.

This conviction likely stemmed from his social gospel roots in Manitoba, and continued during his days as Premier of Saskatchewan and later as leader of the federal NDP.

“The Father of Medicare” saw his Medicare plan enacted in Saskatchewan in 1962 and later by the federal Pearson government in 1966. His social activism inspired many Canadians from coast to coast... ...Douglas’s comments on social justice. He said, “Social justice is like taking a bath. You have to do it every day or pretty soon you start to stink.” http://www.canadashistory.ca/explore/politics-law/history-idol-tommy-douglas

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/tommy-douglas-greatest-canadian-feature/ 

Edited by djsurrey