The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1201 'The Conjugal Configuration' (September 24)

9 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

The comment about it being inconsequential considering it's the last season though is not relevant since they didn't know it was the last season when they wrote this ep.

It was veejay's comment but it referred to EW's review of the episode.

5 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I don't get your point. 

I'm talking about the episode. The disagreement between Leonard and Penny was because the Fowlers were so different and apparently had nothing in common and Leonard and Penny were portrayed as also being opposites. Which I said I thought they are. If you don't agree that's fine. But that is what I always thought and still think. Everyone else can think any way they want.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I'm talking about the episode. The disagreement between Leonard and Penny was because the Fowlers were so different and apparently had nothing in common and Leonard and Penny were portrayed as also being opposites. Which I said I thought they are. If you don't agree that's fine. But that is what I always thought and still think. Everyone else can think any way they want.

Obviously Penny thinks she has things in common with Leonard.

• Like 2

I guess what bugged me most was in the 10.16 episode when Sheldon had revealed details about their sex life, Amy was upset and embarrassed so Sheldon drew up a board about who he can reveal information like that to or in front of.

Skip forward to 12.1 and he is mentioning them having coitus in front of a bellhop (not literally in front of him) , which I believe must have played a part in Amy's reaction after that moment when it came to the schedules.  Again people overhead a conversation/discussion about their sex life in the queue doing the Tesla tour and Amy clearly wasn't happy.

I was just like wtf Sheldon? Did you learn fucking nothing?!

Obviously, the story required it to play out that way, the dialogue and the delivery of those gags meant Sheldon had to act that way. But I didn't like it, not after 10.16 and what I believe he should have learnt from.

Probably just my bugbear I guess.

Edited by Jonny
Corrected episode number
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jonny said:

I guess what bugged me most was in the 10.6 episode when Sheldon had revealed details about their sex life, Amy was upset and embarrassed so Sheldon drew up a board about who he can reveal information like that to or in front of.

Skip forward to 12.1 and he is mentioning them having coitus in front of a bellhop, which I believe must have played a part in Amy's reaction after that moment when it came to the schedules.  Again people overhead details about their sex life in the queue doing the Tesla tour and Amy clearly wasn;t happy.

I was just wtf? Did you learn fucking nothing?!

Obviously, the story required it to play out that way, the dialogue and the delivery of those gags meant Sheldon had to act that way. But I didn't like it, not after 10.6 and what I believe he should have learnt from.

I think that might be what the EW reviewer meant.

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I guess what bugged me most was in the 10.6 episode when Sheldon had revealed details about their sex life, Amy was upset and embarrassed so Sheldon drew up a board about who he can reveal information like that to or in front of.

Skip forward to 12.1 and he is mentioning them having coitus in front of a bellhop, which I believe must have played a part in Amy's reaction after that moment when it came to the schedules.  Again people overhead a conversation/discussion about their sex life in the queue doing the Tesla tour and Amy clearly wasn't happy.

I was just like wtf Sheldon? Did you learn fucking nothing?!

Obviously, the story required it to play out that way, the dialogue and the delivery of those gags meant Sheldon had to act that way. But I didn't like it, not after 10.6 and what I believe he should have learnt from.

Yes, it always seems funny when you have to ask yourself the question, are the characters more credible or their creators? 😀

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

After I watched it again, I noticed that the "have nothing in common" thing actually was first said by Bernie, as a comeback to Penny. So clearly, TPTB wanted this thing to be Lenny's theme in this episode.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Actually, no you weren't.  Your comment was about their having their love for each other in common:

Yeah, whatever. Nothing in common to base it on, though.

I'm just asking why they need to have something in common to base their love on, as I pointed out my wife and I didn't and we're still happily married after 41 years.  

18 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I guess what bugged me most was in the 10.16 (fixed) episode when Sheldon had revealed details about their sex life, Amy was upset and embarrassed so Sheldon drew up a board about who he can reveal information like that to or in front of.

snip...

Actually, Jonny, the kind of inconsistency you point out here is something that Lennys have been complaining about for years. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

After I watched it again, I noticed that the "have nothing in common" thing actually was first said by Bernie, as a comeback to Penny. So clearly, TPTB wanted this thing to be Lenny's theme in this episode.  

The storyline of Larry running away from his wife fits Howard more than Leonard

• Like 3
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

The thing is the best parts of the episode were the bellhop, the tv interviewer, and Amy's parents. and Neil DeGrasse (and Bill Nye)

So true! :sungum:

3 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The storyline of Larry running away from his wife fits Howard more than Leonard

That's so true, Howard is actually afraid of Bernadette!

• Like 1

Okay, I will post but I may keep a lower frequency. I don't know. I will try to be more gentle.

The episode was okay... No mor than that, IMO. I think it was the right choice to call it quits. Everything has to come to an end. This show is in its 12th season, it's really no wonder it has gotten, IMO, stale and has very few stories to tell.

Raj's plot was very IC but just a little amusing to me, no more. Oh, I am so with him about the inaccurancies in Mama Mia 2. It literally has a woman through up and then immediately conclude that she's pregnant, and people who change eye colors, just to name the most obvious ones. (But how come Leonard suddenly cares for Merryl Streep and Cher?)

I didn't like the Shamy plot. I thought my main problem would be that they'd be too sacharrine, but in fact that wasn't it. I like it when Sheldon's peculiarities and deficiencies are treated sensitively and good ways to deal with them are worked out. This wasn't the case. It felt like what I read Shamys calling a "Sheldon is still Sheldon reminder", in a way that didn't make too much sense to me. Him not being comfortable with physical touch and unpreditability is IC and makes sense but something in the way it played out just didn't, to me. I also felt something off about him, he didn't always feel Sheldon to me. 

Lenny's scenes with the Fowlers were good and funny IMO, except for Penny's last one with Mr. Fowler which was OOC because it was inteded to make a point that is not true to the character. The Fowler's acting was great.

Lenny's morning reconcilliation was mostly good and cute. I just think that joke about jumping at her sudden movements was out of place and not funny at all. Should have been edited out. Leonard was totally exaggerating comparing them to the Fowlers but he did say "a little", so the bigger problem was that he didn't correct her when she exaggerated the claim. He could have said what he said in the morning then. But that was for joke... My big problem though is my main problem with the show, and mostly the writing of Lenny - they give them plots/lines that do not fit with the characters and their history that we've seen on screen. Those of you who are "spoiled" may know  some latest news got me very upset, but it was more about this issue than about that specific topic. I will write more about that in the Dark Lenny thread later. 

• Like 5

I think the problem in this episode is TPTB wanted to write about how "Leonard and Penny have nothing in common", because to them and to some people, this IS funny. So they created all kinds of scenes and lines to stress this point. 

This episode was full of the examples, TPTB was like throwing the scenes and lines to your face or something, from the small one like "the news VS The Vampire Diaries", to the big one like Leonard himself thought they were like the Fowlers and Penny's snarky expression when Leonard said he was nothing like Mr.Fowler who was a mousy little man and couldn't stand for himself. 

I have to say, this episode actually told me that if TPTB really want to do something and put their mind to do it, they certainly can and will think of all kinds of stuff to write about it. 

Whether people like it or not is subjective, of course. 

• Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, bfm said:

I didn't like the Shamy plot. I thought my main problem would be that they'd be too sacharrine, but in fact that wasn't it. I like it when Sheldon's peculiarities and deficiencies are treated sensitively and good ways to deal with them are worked out. This wasn't the case. It felt like what I read Shamys calling a "Sheldon is still Sheldon reminder", in a way that didn't make too much sense to me. Him not being comfortable with physical touch and unpreditability is IC and makes sense but something in the way it played out just didn't, to me. I also felt something off about him, he didn't always feel Sheldon to me.  

What felt off to me was really just the timing. This should have been a plot at some point in S10 when they moved in together (obviously with some tweaks because they weren't married but still). They even had the perfect setup with that talk about putting coitus off the table and then re-evaluate the situation again later but that never happened. Until now I guess.

The whole idea of Sheldon not being comfortable with physical touch at this point is complete nonsense to me when I see how touchy feely he's become around Amy. I'd chalk it up to him still being a bit in denial about that and the final scene really hammers that point home when despite all his declarations he's literally dragging Amy to their honey moon suite.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tensor said:

I'm just asking why they need to have something in common to base their love on, as I pointed out my wife and I didn't and we're still happily married after 41 years.  

I'm happy for you and your wife. But you're not everybody and we're talking about sitcom characters anyway. Differences between characters on sitcoms are usually played for either conflict or laughs

43 minutes ago, April said:

I'd chalk it up to him still being a bit in denial about that and the final scene really hammers that point home when despite all his declarations he's literally dragging Amy to their honey moon suite.

I was just thinking of all of the fans who used to say Amy was just desperate for sex when I never saw it that way personally.

• Like 2

I was just thinking of all of the fans who used to say Amy was just desperate for sex when I never saw it that way personally.

I agree. I think this whole "Amy was always craving sex!!" thing ppl complained about was kinda backwards to how this often played out, namely that Amy said or wanted something innocent and Sheldon was the one accusing her of only wanting sex. Guy was projecting like a movie theatre during blockbuster season if you ask me. lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

I'm happy for you and your wife. But you're not everybody and we're talking about sitcom characters anyway. Differences between characters on sitcoms are usually played for either conflict or laughs

OK, that fine.  But, I was talking about your original post I quoted, and that didn't make any of these distinctions.  It was a flat statement, as if there is some great crime, and the relationship is totally doomed if a couple's love is not somehow deeply rooted in having something in common, is that what you meant?    

• Like 2

I'm with Tensor on this one. When I met my wife the only thing we had in common was that she was a bartender and I drank alcohol. Completely different back grounds and no common friends

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

I think the problem in this episode is TPTB wanted to write about how "Leonard and Penny have nothing in common", because to them and to some people, this IS funny. So they created all kinds of scenes and lines to stress this point. 

This episode was full of the examples, TPTB was like throwing the scenes and lines to your face or something, from the small one like "the news VS The Vampire Diaries", to the big one like Leonard himself thought they were like the Fowlers and Penny's snarky expression when Leonard said he was nothing like Mr.Fowler who was a mousy little man and couldn't stand for himself. 

I have to say, this episode actually told me that if TPTB really want to do something and put their mind to do it, they certainly can and will think of all kinds of stuff to write about it. 

32 minutes ago, April said:

What felt off to me was really just the timing. This should have been a plot at some point in S10 when they moved in together (obviously with some tweaks because they weren't married but still). They even had the perfect setup with that talk about putting coitus off the table and then re-evaluate the situation again later but that never happened. Until now I guess.

The whole idea of Sheldon not being comfortable with physical touch at this point is complete nonsense to me when I see how touchy feely he's become around Amy. I'd chalk it up to him still being a bit in denial about that and the final scene really hammers that point home when despite all his declarations he's literally dragging Amy to their honey moon suite.

I agree with you both. As April pointed out this is a season 10 story for Shamy. Why bring it up now?

As for Lenny this story has happened before many times. Is it funny? If you move on quickly in your mind maybe. If you try to follow the story of the plot line no.  I might give the writers  a tiny bit of the benefit of the doubt since it was written before they knew this season was it. 

As for Kimberly Potts does she really think Lenny is not going to be together in the end? LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tensor said:

OK, that fine.  But, I was talking about your original post I quoted, and that didn't make any of these distinctions.  It was a flat statement, as if there is some great crime, and the relationship is totally doomed if a couple's love is not somehow deeply rooted in having something in common, is that what you meant?

Certainly not. But the whole board is for the show. And I see next to nothing that Leonard and Penny had in common. It's one of the things I don't understand about this great love they are supposed to have. I do not see it. I do not see what it's based on. I'm not a fan of it although I do appreciate it when they do actually do it well but usually the writers do not and it does not surprise me that the writers continue to play with that idea that they are totally different people. I'm not going to defend my personal opinion anymore. It doesn't matter to anyone else anyway and indeed it should not. Everyone can like different things about the show and dislike different things about it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I agree with you both. As April pointed out this is a season 10 story for Shamy. Why bring it up now?

Well, Holland said they wanted to tell all those stories they haven't told, yet, so I guess it was on their bucket list and I'm happy they finally checked it off. Better late than never cause the alternative is another one of those stories about Amy's birthday and even Shamy fans are tired of that one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Certainly not. But the whole board is for the show. And I see next to nothing that Leonard and Penny had in common. It's one of the things I don't understand about this great love they are supposed to have. I do not see it. I do not see what it's based on. 

See, this is what I'm taking about.  You seem to have to have something to base their love on, and that's fine.   My wife and I didn't have much of anything in common, and really still don't, yet we've be able to keep things going for over 40 years  I was just giving a counter example as to you don't need to have something in common to base your love on.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KripkeRules said:

Can't remember the exact gag but it started when Howardette, Lenny and Raj were walking up the stairs and Bernadette said something about what Leonard and Penny had in common.  Then like you said it built and built from there.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

Certainly not. But the whole board is for the show. And I see next to nothing that Leonard and Penny had in common. It's one of the things I don't understand about this great love they are supposed to have. I do not see it. I do not see what it's based on. I'm not a fan of it although I do appreciate it when they do actually do it well but usually the writers do not and it does not surprise me that the writers continue to play with that idea that they are totally different people. I'm not going to defend my personal opinion anymore. It doesn't matter to anyone else anyway and indeed it should not. Everyone can like different things about the show and dislike different things about it

I don’t know if you have been on the Lenny thread but Luminous has posted many pictures of them through the years. Obvious to me and JMO but from the pictures Lenny look in love more than any other couple on the show.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 4