Jump to content

Will the finale end similarly to "Friends"?


Nevaeh Dibrof
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since TBBT has turned into “Friends,” and James Burrows has directed both shows, I wouldn’t be surprised if the series finale ends in the same fashion as “Friends” when the gang turned in their keys at the empty apartment and took the stairwell as they were heading to their favorite sanctuary, Central Perk, for coffee. The only difference on TBBT: the gang uses the finally-fixed elevator and goes to the Cheesecake Factory. Since they didn’t use the stairs, I guess the finale didn’t copy from “Friends,” right? Right? nudge nudge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James Burrows only directed the two pilots.  Mark Cendrowski has directed about 200 episodes of TBBT.  Also, there is an entirely different writing and production staff from Friends.  Which makes a difference as the director doesn’t Write the show, he only directs what’s he’s given. 

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would still expect ( or maybe rather hope for) a similar scenario simply because it would be a good book end to the first episode. The show started pretty much with Penny moving in so ending with someone moving out has a nice symmetry to it. Fixing the elevator also puts an end to that running gag.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if TBBT ends similarly to Friends, but not because it has "turned into" it. Both shows have had since their beginning an important similarity, a central location (Monica's and Joy's apartments in Friends and 4a/4b in tbbt), so it makes sense that in the show ends with the main characters leaving it for the next phase of their lives.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, April said:

I would still expect ( or maybe rather hope for) a similar scenario simply because it would be a good book end to the first episode. The show started pretty much with Penny moving in so ending with someone moving out has a nice symmetry to it. Fixing the elevator also puts an end to that running gag.

I've said before (almost three years ago now) that just as Leonard and Sheldon, and Penny are leaving the building for the last time, two guy come in and ask if this is the building with the broken elevator, as they are there to repair it.   Insert proper snarky comment and Penny eyeroll here.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I've said before (almost three years ago now) that just as Leonard and Sheldon, and Penny are leaving the building for the last time, two guy come in and ask if this is the building with the broken elevator, as they are there to repair it.   Insert proper snarky comment and Penny eyeroll here.  

I've been saying the same for years as well. I'd add those guys being played by Prady, Molaro and/or Holland. lol

So yeah, it's a common idea and I think for a sitcom like this it's best to end with a nice and cosy ending instead of a big shocking twist or whatever. That's just not TBBT's style and as HIMYM showed you can really ruin a show's reputation with such nonsense.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if TBBT ends similarly to Friends, but not because it has "turned into" it. Both shows have had since their beginning an important similarity, a central location (Monica's and Joy's apartments in Friends and 4a/4b in tbbt), so it makes sense that in the show ends with the main characters leaving it for the next phase of their lives.

I'd like to see the next phase of their lives developing throughout the season so that they all have somewhere to move on to and be seen starting or getting on with in their own series next year. We might even see at the end of 11/24 where they've moved to . What they'll contrive for Amy without having Sheldon around I can only speculate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, April said:

I've been saying the same for years as well. I'd add those guys being played by Prady, Molaro and/or Holland. lol

So yeah, it's a common idea and I think for a sitcom like this it's best to end with a nice and cosy ending instead of a big shocking twist or whatever. That's just not TBBT's style and as HIMYM showed you can really ruin a show's reputation with such nonsense.

Maybe Lorre and Prady, this way Lorre inserts himself into this finale as well (didn't watch TAAHM but did watch a video of the last minutes).

Edited by bfm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people these days want a happy ending for everyone on a show. I mean you had the stupidity of Seinfeld all ending up in jail. Friends ended in a way that had suspense but worked out in the end. HIMYM had the happy ending for the five. JMO Ted was most important. You know the mother was going to die. Why was he telling the story to the kids for? They didn’t count on people loving  the mother. So you got people missing the idea. Just as TBBT would do a huge disservice to people watching the show from the beginning if you don’t get the Leonard and Sheldon discussing no fantasy babies. Everyone else’s story is just filler

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always liked the line Sheldon says to Leonard in the pilot “you’re not done with her, are you?” Would be good if that could be worked in somehow as well as the “smart and beautiful babies” line.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. I didn't like anyone in Friends enough to watch an entire episode although I saw a few bits and pieces here and there. I am told all the time that there are tons of similarities but I just can't see it from what I know about the show. I just don't get the comparison. Everyone on Friends was totally unlikable and overrated in my point of view. To this day I don't watch any show or movie for any of them. TBBT cast is much more talented in my opinion and the show was much more unique. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know. I didn't like anyone in Friends enough to watch an entire episode although I saw a few bits and pieces here and there. I am told all the time that there are tons of similarities but I just can't see it from what I know about the show. I just don't get the comparison. Everyone on Friends was totally unlikable and overrated in my point of view. To this day I don't watch any show or movie for any of them. TBBT cast is much more talented in my opinion and the show was much more unique. 

TBBT hasn’t been unique in 5 years. The writers are so one dimensional. Quite honestly their not worthy to be even in the same room as The Friends writers. The thing is with TBBT it’s difficult to watch if you don’t like Sheldon. At least with Friends even if you only have one favorite character(s) you only have to wait a couple episodes not like TBBT when you have to wait half a season or more. I suppose the actors on TBBT might be better actors considering they have so little to work with in regards to a script.

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chrismo said:

TBBT hasn’t been unique in 5 years. The writers are so one dimensional. Quite honestly their not worthy to be even in the same room as The Friends writers. The thing is with TBBT it’s difficult to watch if you don’t like Sheldon. At least with Friends even if you only have one favorite character(s) you only have to wait a couple episodes not like TBBT when you have to wait half a season or more. I suppose the actors on TBBT might be better actors considering they have so little to work with in regards to a script.

Wow so insightful and so true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Chrismo said:

The thing is with TBBT it’s difficult to watch if you don’t like Sheldon.

I personally can't see how anyone can like the show if they don't like Sheldon at all, but he's been at the center of the show with everyone reacting to him or interacting with him from the start as I see it. He didn't appear out of nowhere. The showrunners thought had three leads, always, which is why they won't try to go on without any of those three leads.

 

13 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I suppose the actors on TBBT might be better actors considering they have so little to work with in regards to a script.

This I agree with. I didn't think any of the Friends cast were particularly talented and I still don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I personally can't see how anyone can like the show if they don't like Sheldon at all, but he's been at the center of the show with everyone reacting to him or interacting with him from the start as I see it. He didn't appear out of nowhere. The showrunners thought had three leads, always, which is why they won't try to go on without any of those three leads. 

So true! If there was one character that was pissing me off as much as Sheldon does seem with some watchers I wouldn't have continued to watch the show, let alone become a fan. I don't have time to hate watch a show these days.

14 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know. I didn't like anyone in Friends enough to watch an entire episode although I saw a few bits and pieces here and there. I am told all the time that there are tons of similarities but I just can't see it from what I know about the show. I just don't get the comparison. Everyone on Friends was totally unlikable and overrated in my point of view. To this day I don't watch any show or movie for any of them. TBBT cast is much more talented in my opinion and the show was much more unique. 

IMHO the only similarity is that they are both sitcoms about a group of friends and the central sets are two apartments across the floor. Each show has its own flavour and sure was/is a product of its time. Friends aged terribly, imho. Only time will tell how TBBT will fare but I think the early seasons already make me cringe more than they should. Yikes. (How I Met Your Mother is another sitcom that just wouldn't work today and it's only been over for a few years. Humour can date a show incredibly fast!)

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I personally can't see how anyone can like the show if they don't like Sheldon at all, but he's been at the center of the show with everyone reacting to him or interacting with him from the start as I see it. He didn't appear out of nowhere. The showrunners thought had three leads, always, which is why they won't try to go on without any of those three leads.

Well, if I hadn't experienced the entire development of Sheldon (since season 1), I wouldn't be able to make a profound judgment these days. Since I also adore other heroes in this long time of fun adventures, I can still live with my current negative attitude towards the "new" Sheldon, although mostly annoyed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know. I didn't like anyone in Friends enough to watch an entire episode although I saw a few bits and pieces here and there. I am told all the time that there are tons of similarities but I just can't see it from what I know about the show. I just don't get the comparison. Everyone on Friends was totally unlikable and overrated in my point of view. To this day I don't watch any show or movie for any of them. TBBT cast is much more talented in my opinion and the show was much more unique. 

The first several seasons of Friends were very good and pretty funnyshow . It got too soap opraish after season 7.   Some of the characters did beocme more unlikeable as time went on., However I prefer it over Big Bang Theory to be honest. but both are two of my favorites.  Though the after Seasons of Big Bang Theory have been better then later seasons of Friends.   However neither are in my Top 5 Favorite TV Sitcoms  but are in the Top 10 anyway.  I actually like Seinfeld better than Friends. = and The Big Bang Theory  

Lisa Kudrow is a fine actress. When I watch the show now I think she was the best actors of the  6 of them. I also find her more genuine then Jen and Courtney in Interviews. The tabloids really has a obsession with Jen.  

I would say both Friends and TBBT have mediocre to good acting. Neither have 'great' acting in my opinion when it comes to the core cast 'overall' or in 'general'. I wouldn't call Kunal is a talented actor and Simon is decent but nothing special outside of Big Band Theory.  Theyt are going to struggle the most when the show over 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, April said:

IMHO the only similarity is that they are both sitcoms about a group of friends and the central sets are two apartments across the floor. Each show has its own flavour and sure was/is a product of its time. Friends aged terribly, imho. Only time will tell how TBBT will fare but I think the early seasons already make me cringe more than they should. Yikes. (How I Met Your Mother is another sitcom that just wouldn't work today and it's only been over for a few years. Humour can date a show incredibly fast!)

Actually Friends has and still manages to get new generation of fans. There are obviously things that date it terribly, but I think it is actually one of the shows that have aged well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bfm said:

Actually Friends has and still manages to get new generation of fans. There are obviously things that date it terribly, but I think it is actually one of the shows that have aged well.

I see complaints about Friends growing with each passing year so nah, I think it only works if you see it as a product of its time and place but some aspects don't gel well with the current sensibilities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, April said:

I see complaints about Friends growing with each passing year so nah, I think it only works if you see it as a product of its time and place but some aspects don't gel well with the current sensibilities.

Yes there are those articles and videos that point out things that do not go well today, but I remember reading various times that it gathers new, younger fans (I don't remember where though). My own sister is an example, she's 20 and wasn't much into Friends until the last few years. In fact, I myself wasn't much part of its "original crowd". I was 11 when it ended. I saw some episodes here and there over the years but really got into it in my late teen years.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, bfm said:

Yes there are those articles and videos that point out things that do not go well today, but I remember reading various times that it gathers new, younger fans (I don't remember where though). My own sister is an example, she's 20 and wasn't much into Friends until the last few years. 

Oh, I'm not denying that new people discover the show. In the age of Netflix and co this is inevitable. But if Friends were made today a lot of its humour simply wouldn't fly because it was so rooted in the 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, April said:

Oh, I'm not denying that new people discover the show. In the age of Netflix and co this is inevitable. But if Friends were made today a lot of its humour simply wouldn't fly because it was so rooted in the 90s.

That I agree with. Are there shows that don't have any jokes that wouldn't go if they were made years later, though? The jokes about Howard's mother were kind of over the line already when they were written. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, bfm said:

That I agree with. Are there shows that don't have any jokes that wouldn't go if they were made years later, though? The jokes about Howard's mother were kind of over the line already when they were written. 

That was exactly my point though. Comedies do age pretty quickly cause humour and what is acceptable changes so fast and TBBT will be (and I guess depending on who you ask already is) suffering the same fate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.