Was TBBT inspired by "Friends"?

1.  Rachel and Penny: America's Sweetheart/girl-next-door who goes from waitress to career woman

2.  Ross and Leonard: girl-next-door's whiny boyfriend

3.  Joey and Howard: playboy

4.  Chandler and Raj: has trouble with women

5.  Phoebe and Amy: weird; plays musical instrument

6.  Monica and Bernadette: short-tempered and bossy

7.  Since TBBT has FOUR male leads, the only thing I can point out is that Sheldon and Monica have OCD.

8.  Recurring characters Gunther and Stuart: the underdog

9.  Feline-related songs: "Smelly Cat" and "Soft Kitty"

Yes, I know I'm stretching this a little too far, since both shows' characters are entirely different in terms of the "nerd" factor:

1.  Joey is dimwitted and suave while Howard is intelligent and creepy.

2. Chandler just has a bit of a complex, as opposed to Raj who is flat-out socially awkward.

COINCIDENCES

1.  Art imitating life: James Michael Tyler (Gunther) used to work in a coffee shop, and Kevin Sussman (Stuart) used to work in a comic book store.

2.  Michael Rappaport played a character on both sides of the law: police officer on "Friends" (Phoebe's boyfriend), and illegally sold helium on TBBT.

Short answer: No.

I agree .  You can find all these type of characters, traits, personalities, etc,. listed above in many TV Shows going back to the 1950s! Ricky Ricardo had a bad temper and a mean streak at time. 

And don't we already have a thread that was started on this topic a couple days ago? 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lovelycoo said:

1.  Rachel and Penny: America's Sweetheart/girl-next-door who goes from waitress to career woman

2.  Ross and Leonard: girl-next-door's whiny boyfriend

3.  Joey and Howard: playboy

4.  Chandler and Raj: has trouble with women

5.  Phoebe and Amy: weird; plays musical instrument

6.  Monica and Bernadette: short-tempered and bossy

7.  Since TBBT has FOUR male leads, the only thing I can point out is that Sheldon and Monica have OCD.

8.  Recurring characters Gunther and Stuart: the underdog

9.  Feline-related songs: "Smelly Cat" and "Soft Kitty"

Yes, I know I'm stretching this a little too far, since both shows' characters are entirely different in terms of the "nerd" factor:

1.  Joey is dimwitted and suave while Howard is intelligent and creepy.

2. Chandler just has a bit of a complex, as opposed to Raj who is flat-out socially awkward.

COINCIDENCES

1.  Art imitating life: James Michael Tyler (Gunther) used to work in a coffee shop, and Kevin Sussman (Stuart) used to work in a comic book store.

2.  Michael Rappaport played a character on both sides of the law: police officer on "Friends" (Phoebe's boyfriend), and illegally sold helium on TBBT.

Gangster answer:  Hell No!

• Like 1