The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nevaeh Dibrof

Unless you can visibly notice the cast getting older, why are their ages a prime factor to ending the series?

Every cast member has been a grownup since the pilot episode, thus the ridiculousness of Chuck Lorre not ending "Two and a Half Men" after Angus Jones ('Jake Harper') turned 18 less than a month after Ashton Kutcher's first episode.  Perfect opportunity to end on a high note -- when Charlie and the "half man" are gone.  Typically when a child actor is still with his/her series after adulthood, it pretty much jumps the shark.  Fortunately, that was not possible with TBBT.  Yes, I know that a 20-something-year-old's maturity level is no where near a 40-year-old's, which makes Kaley, Kunal, Melissa, and Simon's longevity on the TBBT questionable, as opposed to Jim, Johnny, and Mayim who were already in their 30s.  But the fact of the matter is that a sitcom pilot with all cast members who can legally drink, shouldn't make their aging relevant in the long run.  Look at "Cheers"... who knows how long it would've survived if the cash cow Ted Danson, like Jim Parsons, hadn't called it quits, which I think could also be said for TBBT

Edited by Nevaeh Dibrof

47 minutes ago, Nevaeh Dibrof said:

Every cast member has been a grownup since the pilot episode, thus the ridiculousness of Chuck Lorre not ending "Two and a Half Men" after Angus Jones ('Jake Harper') turned 18 less than a month after Ashton Kutcher's first episode.  Perfect opportunity to end on a high note -- when Charlie and the "half man" are gone.  Typically when a child actor is still with his/her series after adulthood, it pretty much jumps the shark.  Fortunately, that was not possible with TBBT.  Yes, I know that a 20-something-year-old's maturity level is no where near a 40-year-old's, which makes Kaley, Kunal, Melissa, and Simon's longevity on the TBBT questionable, as opposed to Jim, Johnny, and Mayim who were already in their 30s.  But the fact of the matter is that a sitcom pilot with all cast members who can legally drink, shouldn't make their aging relevant in the long run.  Look at "Cheers"... who knows how long it would've survived if the cash cow Ted Danson, like Jim Parsons, hadn't called it quits, which I think could also be said for TBBT

What exactly does Jim calling it quits have to do with age being the prime factor in ending the series?    And, if CBS and/or Warner Brothers  wanted to keep TAAHM on, they could have fired Lorre and hired someone else as EP, so I'm not quite sure why you're blaming Lorre for the ridiculousness.   

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 12:28 PM, Nevaeh Dibrof said:

Was not a big watcher of TAAHM, so I'll leave that for others to consider. 

Age of the actors is no factor in the continuation of TBBT. The characters interests, while considered childish by some, are not really limited to a specific age group. People that are into sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, and such, are represented all across the age demographics of modern society.

Season 12 is a good time for TBBT to call it quits.