The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

1203 'The Procreation Calculation' (October 4)

On 10/12/2018 at 2:54 PM, vonmar said:

Look at that, there's "Cool Operator" up front!

On 10/4/2018 at 9:52 PM, Kev0821 said:

I'm not sure, but I think just this one from the 1966 TV series. Warner Bros. has an exhibit dedicated to the Batmobiles. I believe they just used the car that was on display there, but I could be wrong.

Now for my thoughts on a Lenny baby:

I think the writers are going back to the initial "will they, won't they" foundation of Leonard and Penny's relationship. However, this time, it's about having kids. Penny renting the Batmobile could be a bit of foreshadowing, i.e., she made this dream come true, so maybe she'll reconsider having kids down the line. I just hope that it's a mutual decision if/when it happens. Clearly, the more people tell Penny she'd be a great mother, the more she recoils. Perhaps something will spark her interest in future episodes that she will come to the realization on her own.

I think when Penny was talking to Bernadette she was just going over that scenario in her head. But Bernadette not supporting her in no-baby issue kind of  brought back Penny's stubborn streak and she got more determined to make that decision. That being said when she spoke with Leonard about it she really didn't say it as an ultimatum. She genuinely asked him how he felt about not having kids. Granted, he probably should not have called Penny's father but he was kind of confused and needed some reassurance.  And I don't think Penny was that mad at him about it and really felt sort of bad at how it came out. Another poster suggested that renting the Batmobile was more of an apology  for springing the baby issue on him.  Like several other posters I think this issue will be re-visited in the future. I just get the feeling there is something more behind her thought not to have a baby and it will present itself in later episodes.

• Like 5

On 10/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, Zephon75 said:

Well when i saw the promo for this episode i was not happy and was going to not watch the episode. But then after a while i thought maybe they showed that because things will get better later on....I was wrong. From the opening scene where we got one of those stupid he wore her down jokes which they think are funny but never have been. I honestly don't know what to say i still can't believe they did that, it was unnescarry and i think that's what annoyed me the most. If they didn't want to do a pregnancy story line for Penny and which  has been obvious for quite a while now. They should of just left it alone and ignored it like they've been ignoring fans who wanted  to see one all these years. But to have a storyline where Penny decides she doesn't want kids . Well that was just cruel to fans who liked the idea of Prenny one day  being preganant with those smart  and beautiful babies. But The scene where Penny starts the conversation with Leonard which makes Leonard get excited thinking that they might be having kids soon. But she turns around and tells him she doesn't want kids was  just mean to him .Then she says to  him don't be mad i mean come on, he had every right to be mad he was upset at having the thing he dreamed about having since the moment they met snatched away from him. But the worst thing by far was Leonard just giving up and accepting it is never going to happen. I will admit one thing though Penny's gift at the end was quite the surprise , and does show how much he means to her.

I hope the writers change there mind over having Penny not want kids.

I am like you but I think there is some underlying reason why she does not want kids. Hopefully, it will be revealed in later episodes as Leonard never did ask her why she did not want kids.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 3:24 PM, Zephon75 said:

I hope the writers change there mind over having Penny not want kids

I do too, but this plays into TPTB not wanting any more babies, which is ridiculous. The only change will be when Amy gets pregnant.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chucky said:

I do too, but this plays into TPTB not wanting any more babies, which is ridiculous. The only change will be when Amy gets pregnant.

I don't think they will show either of them pregnant personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't think they will show either of them pregnant personally.

I don't either, but with Amy being upset Penny wanting kids so they could play with hers statement. You never know and I really don't trust the writers!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I liked it. For the first time in a long time, after watching this ep I didn't have a vague sense of depression. Then I realised why - no Shamy scenes! And the main story was actually about Penny's feelings. Are the programme makers finally realising that she's the heroine they should focus on? It wasn't all there - the natural and proper place for P&L to discuss these things is in bed; and they need to get their sensuality back. The batmobile ending was a bit silly; and I fear the writers consider that wrapped up the P&L wanting children issue. But let me imagine for a bit that this was the start of a continuing Lenny storyline. I always thought that there should be a Lenny crisis early in the season to be resolved in an extended story.  P's attitude to children should be more comples than just not wanting them, and bring out her insecurity and vulnerability as in her struggle to commit to L. Maybe she does want children but is secretly afraid of failing as a mother. Or maybe she's not sure L is really ready for fatherhood - the way he was in the Batmobile could symbolise that. So the story should be that instead of just taking what P says at face value L actually makes an effort to understand her feelings; and maybe they should end up with a deeper understanding that they do both want kids eventually, if L can ease P's insecurities. Or alternatively that L's desire for S&B kids was superficial, and he's been living too much in the future and should concentrate on doing stuff in the present - will I ever get to see P&L go horseback trekking together? (OK, no).

I don't want to see P pregnant - that should be in the future or off-screen with a time jump, if at all. (and of course I really, really don't want to see A pregnant). B owns pregnancy. She has done and said everything that's needed ever wrt pregnancy. I hate it when one character's storyline is rerun with another character.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JohnPhD said:

Well, I liked it. For the first time in a long time, after watching this ep I didn't have a vague sense of depression. Then I realised why - no Shamy scenes! And the main story was actually about Penny's feelings. Are the programme makers finally realising that she's the heroine they should focus on? It wasn't all there - the natural and proper place for P&L to discuss these things is in bed; and they need to get their sensuality back. The batmobile ending was a bit silly; and I fear the writers consider that wrapped up the P&L wanting children issue. But let me imagine for a bit that this was the start of a continuing Lenny storyline. I always thought that there should be a Lenny crisis early in the season to be resolved in an extended story.  P's attitude to children should be more comples than just not wanting them, and bring out her insecurity and vulnerability as in her struggle to commit to L. Maybe she does want children but is secretly afraid of failing as a mother. Or maybe she's not sure L is really ready for fatherhood - the way he was in the Batmobile could symbolise that. So the story should be that instead of just taking what P says at face value L actually makes an effort to understand her feelings; and maybe they should end up with a deeper understanding that they do both want kids eventually, if L can ease P's insecurities. Or alternatively that L's desire for S&B kids was superficial, and he's been living too much in the future and should concentrate on doing stuff in the present - will I ever get to see P&L go horseback trekking together? (OK, no).

I don't want to see P pregnant - that should be in the future or off-screen with a time jump, if at all. (and of course I really, really don't want to see A pregnant). B owns pregnancy. She has done and said everything that's needed ever wrt pregnancy. I hate it when one character's storyline is rerun with another character.

Whole heartedly agree!

5 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

After watching this episode I too felt there was something deeper in Penny's feelings to not have children.  Maybe it is her fear of committment that always surfaces when she is faced with a big decision.  She could not committ to Leonard after their first date saying he was too smart for her but then dating David Underhill,  after they managed to be together she could not committ to a deeper relationship when Leonard said he loved her....and then regretted it,  after re-kindling their romance she could not committ to marriage after Leonard had repeatedly asked her, and then after a year of being engaged she could not committ to marriage until it was right in front of her and they eloped to Las Vegas.  So, maybe this baby issue is just an extension of her fears of committment.  I think it is a little late to see Penny pregnant at this point, although there are quite a few comedic situations that can arise from that, but in IMO I think what could happen is possibly at Raj and Anu's wedding she gets sick and thinks she might be pregnant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mario D. said:

After watching this episode I too felt there was something deeper in Penny's feelings to not have children.  Maybe it is her fear of committment that always surfaces when she is faced with a big decision.  She could not committ to Leonard after their first date saying he was too smart for her but then dating David Underhill,  after they managed to be together she could not committ to a deeper relationship when Leonard said he loved her....and then regretted it,  after re-kindling their romance she could not committ to marriage after Leonard had repeatedly asked her, and then after a year of being engaged she could not committ to marriage until it was right in front of her and they eloped to Las Vegas.  So, maybe this baby issue is just an extension of her fears of committment.  I think it is a little late to see Penny pregnant at this point, although there are quite a few comedic situations that can arise from that, but in IMO I think what could happen is possibly at Raj and Anu's wedding she gets sick and thinks she might be pregnant.

Some very interesting suppositions about Penny's commitment issues in the past and lifting it's ugly head again with pregnancy. Really love the way you think!  8)

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I thought the woman who did Raj's waxing was called Jenny?

Haven't got a clue who waxes Raj!

Anu is the woman Raj deserves. Bossy, unsentimental, won't take his nonsense. I'd like to see this arranged marriage involve a reverse dowry where Raj's father pays Anu to take Raj of his hands. We really don't need to see the wedding, but maybe a scene from their married life where if Raj gives her any crap Anu skypes Raj's father for advice and backup.

As for Raj "deserves better", the creep doesn't deserve anything except to die alone. Altho it would be rather sad poor little Cinnamon having to eat him all by herself.

• Like 1
  • Run to India 1

15 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I omitted part of that post. I haven't a clue who waxes Raj, and really could care less!

1 minute ago, chucky said:

I omitted part of that post. I haven't a clue who waxes Raj, and really could care less!

So why comment, if you couldn't care less?

2 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I just stated I haven't a clue who waxes Raj! I am allowed to comment, if I so choose to do so! I was in a hurry to take my daughter to work and didn't see that the rest of my post was missing. So, I corrected it.

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

To be fair to him he said he "could care less" lol

3 hours ago, chucky said:

I am allowed to comment, if I so choose to do so!

Of course you're allowed to comment, as is everyone.

I certainly would never try to tell anyone that they can't/shouldn't comment on something.

I was just curious, as to why you would bother to comment, on something you don't care about.

2 hours ago, April said:

To be fair to him he said he "could care less" lol

I know, it's an odd phrase, isn't it? 😕

37 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I know, it's an odd phrase, isn't it?

Actually it's a good odd phrase. To answer your question, I commented because I wanted to comment. Nothing more, nothing less!

Edited by chucky

39 minutes ago, chucky said:

Actually it's a good odd phrase.

But it doesn't make sense.

40 minutes ago, chucky said:

To answer your question, I commented because I wanted to comment. Nothing more, nothing less!

Each to their own, but I personally wouldn't spend my time, posting about something I had absolutely zero interest in.

I don't see the point in doing it.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 7:20 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

But it doesn't make sense.

Each to their own, but I personally wouldn't spend my time, posting about something I had absolutely zero interest in.

I don't see the point in doing it.

1. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone but the poster!

2. I do it because I can and it's fun for me. I don't to have an interest in  a post to respond! I guess we differ there as well!

Edited by chucky

'I could care less' means 'I care a lot, or at least sufficiently for my caring to be diminished under some circumstances or other'. Therefore it is worth posting in order to say one cares, while not specifying how much.

Raj knew Jenny would care. Presumably her colleague Anna also cares. One should care about one's work, especially if one is a scriptwriter.

• Haha 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2018 at 10:41 PM, joyceraye said:

'I could care less' means 'I care a lot, or at least sufficiently for my caring to be diminished under some circumstances or other'

To me, "I could care less" means I care less than the other poster cares, or more likely I don't care at all.