Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tripper

1204 'The Tam Turbulence' (October 11)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KripkeRules said:

I actually think last week's "Smooth Operator" plot is much more funny than this week's lame Tam plot.

I agree! I laughed the hardest during those scenes. That was my failed attempt at humor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The girls made the episode funny and are a perfect example of how a spin-off of Penny, Leonard, Bernadette and Howard could work and do well.  

The Tam, Leonard and Sheldon part just made me like Sheldon less, him being a jerk to the first significant friend in his life, just like he has always been with Leonard, just makes him seem like even more of a jerk.  

This whole season so far has been very ho-hum to me, not what I expected for the last season of the show, the writers seem to not care too much and TPTB seemed to have moved on already.

  • Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denise07 said:

I thought the episode was ok.  Kind of mindless entertainment that I watch on auto-pilot, a sense of familiarity, and cracked a smile or 2 but really didn't laugh.

The Tam thing:  I watch YS and YS is more self-aware (maybe a little detached and awkward in his interactions but he a is kid in HS so it makes sense in YS) than the Sheldon on TBBT.  The flashback while, I found fun, rang false.  A self aware Sheldon would have viewed those differently.  For the Tam plot, we get the robotic black and white Sheldon who literally replaces Tam with Leonard.  Nothing changes.  Sheldon continues to be the Sheldon they need for the episode.  We also get the wonderful him and Amy can't be best friends line.  Not that I really care but again, clueless Sheldon is abound.  Which makes Leonard's stance very reasonable in this episode.  I found his reaction to all of this believable and very much in line with Leonard.

Well, I continue to like Anu.  Maybe it's the actress is so damn adorable?  But whatever it is, I find how this is unfolding very believable at least from her perspective.  Looking at the Raj side, I find him believable too.  Hear me out:  Raj has been consistently desperate.  If he actually goes through with it, I would believe that based on his characterization.  Someone mentioned that maybe Raj should tell Anu why he is single.  This would require that Raj had insight to this.  I don't think Raj realizes why he is still single. I also believe he feels he is the victim in most of his entanglements  (like really, I believe Raj believe he REALLY had a shot with Penny and even Bernadette). 

I also enjoyed Anu, Penny and Bernadette.  It was a refreshing combo.  However, we now have Bernie joining Penny in the "kind of settled for their partner" dept.  I. Can't. Even. here.  This is S12 and the last season, this doesn't feel like the time to shake it up.  I don't mind a Raj story line but it's like a secondary story line when it should be at the very lease tertiary.

I get the JP announcement came a bit late so it may have been too late to go back and do re-writes for the first few episodes.  For a season that is touted as going out with a bang, it feels like it is puttering along and the bang might be a backfire.    

Not very articulate I know.  Just my off the cuff thoughts on all of this. 

Totally agree!

4 minutes ago, SRAM said:

The girls made the episode funny and are a perfect example of how a spin-off of Penny, Leonard, Bernadette and Howard could work and do well.  

The Tam, Leonard and Sheldon part just made me like Sheldon less, him being a jerk to the first significant friend in his life, just like he has always been with Leonard, just makes him seem like even more of a jerk.  

This whole season so far has been very ho-hum to me, not what I expected for the last season of the show, the writers seem to not care too much and TPTB seemed to have moved on already.

I have been thinking the same thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the women were the best part.

I liked Amy's interaction with Sheldon in the beginning, and, later, with Penny and Leonard.

Penny and Bernadette were great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a side note...

Oh, Penny. I would feel bad in a "gown" like that, too. LOL

g_197.gif.437b30d508ac4b90a1f3460138ad1673.gif
 
I know you shouldn't argue about taste.
But sometimes it's hard to hold back.
🙄

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, veejay said:

Just a side note...

Oh, Penny. I would feel bad in a "gown" like that, too. LOL

g_197.gif.437b30d508ac4b90a1f3460138ad1673.gif
 
I know you shouldn't argue about taste.
But sometimes it's hard to hold back.
🙄

I agree with you @veejay , that dress isn't the best one in Penny's wardrobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, veejay said:

Just a side note...

Oh, Penny. I would feel bad in a "gown" like that, too. LOL

g_197.gif.437b30d508ac4b90a1f3460138ad1673.gif
 
I know you shouldn't argue about taste.
But sometimes it's hard to hold back.
🙄

What happened to Penny's fashion sense?😕

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite frankly:  What was up with wardrobe in that office scene? 

It looks like Penny and Bernie are now shopping Forever 61...lol!!!  Not that adds anything about the episode, but REALLY?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Denise07 said:

Quite frankly:  What was up with wardrobe in that office scene? 

It looks like Penny and Bernie are now shopping Forever 61...lol!!!  Not that adds anything about the episode, but REALLY?

At least Bernie was sitting. Apparently Kaley has no say on what she wears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was fine... Some amusing moments but not too much. I liked the joke about site terms and not a robot tests the best because it's so true.

Bernadette and Penny came out as crappy friends and wives and their plot was very cliché and tired IMO.

Jim's performence IMO was better than in previous episodes this season. 

It was nice that Sheldon actually wasn't on non-stop.

Sheldon came out as a terrible friend to Leonard but that's as per usual...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I think Raj ought to tell Anu why he's single : because he's horrible. He slept with a woman with whom he planned a wedding on the strength of a conversation about Disney, thus two-timing a woman with whom he'd been in a relationship for two years. He's self-indulgent under all that clean-cut cuteness. He's not ready to make the personal sacrifices required of a family man. However, a bossy woman might be the making of him. OTOH I hope for Anu's sake she meets somebody better-suited to her before this approaching engagement goes too far. 

Well, Raj's exes found better guys after breaking up with him, maybe it will happen for her too...

12 hours ago, KripkeRules said:

I've never watched YS, so I don't know this Tam person, but I think the other three scenes might still happen with Tam, but without Leonard, that Christmas hug scene would NEVER happen. 

Totally agree. They were just looking for iconic scenes, but Penny became their friends because she liked Leonard. She always came to 4A looking for Leonard. IMO she wouldn't have anything to do with Sheldon and Tam. But this is from Sheldon's perspective and apparently Leonard doesn't mean much to him (well, to the Sheldon of this episode)...

8 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

Looks like this whole season is going to be about how bad marriage is. Now Bernadette has joined Penny with the “its fine".


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep... If you go by TBBT you should never get married. It's the writers who should be saying they don't make marriage look fun.

5 hours ago, Denise07 said:

I thought the episode was ok.  Kind of mindless entertainment that I watch on auto-pilot, a sense of familiarity, and cracked a smile or 2 but really didn't laugh.

The Tam thing:  I watch YS and YS is more self-aware (maybe a little detached and awkward in his interactions but he a is kid in HS so it makes sense in YS) than the Sheldon on TBBT.  The flashback while, I found fun, rang false.  A self aware Sheldon would have viewed those differently.  For the Tam plot, we get the robotic black and white Sheldon who literally replaces Tam with Leonard.  Nothing changes.  Sheldon continues to be the Sheldon they need for the episode.  We also get the wonderful him and Amy can't be best friends line.  Not that I really care but again, clueless Sheldon is abound.  Which makes Leonard's stance very reasonable in this episode.  I found his reaction to all of this believable and very much in line with Leonard.

(...)Looking at the Raj side, I find him believable too.  Hear me out:  Raj has been consistently desperate.  If he actually goes through with it, I would believe that based on his characterization.  Someone mentioned that maybe Raj should tell Anu why he is single.  This would require that Raj had insight to this.  I don't think Raj realizes why he is still single. I also believe he feels he is the victim in most of his entanglements  (like really, I believe Raj believe he REALLY had a shot with Penny and even Bernadette). 

(...)However, we now have Bernie joining Penny in the "kind of settled for their partner" dept.  I. Can't. Even. here.  This is S12 and the last season, this doesn't feel like the time to shake it up.  I don't mind a Raj story line but it's like a secondary story line when it should be at the very lease tertiary.

I get the JP announcement came a bit late so it may have been too late to go back and do re-writes for the first few episodes.  For a season that is touted as going out with a bang, it feels like it is puttering along and the bang might be a backfire.    

(...)

Agree on these parts. So far they're just making me want this to be over. I hope the post-announcement episodes will be better...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that tptb are more concerned about pushing YS on us than they are about the quality of tbbt

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this season isn't getting any better, this was another average episode both story plots where nothing special. The flashbacks where Tam replaced Leonard where well done the first one didn't make sense why advertise for a room mate if you already have one the Christmas hug i doubt would of happened Penny being friends was directly related to Leonard. The Penny Bernadette and Anu plot really went no where and now we have Bernadette saying her marriage is only fine and Penny agreeing saying her marriage is fine. My issue with the Tam story is that the character never existed until he was created for young Sheldon, yet here he is in TBBT. Whilst the likes of Leonard's brother & sister which we've known about since season two and Penny's sister which we've  known about since season one. They have never made a appearance on the show ever , yet here with have a character that no one who doesn't watch YS will know who he is being squeezed into TBBT already. I wonder what othet YS characters they will try and shoehorn into TBBT next.

Four episodes down and twenty to go and still waiting for this supposedly greatest season ever to actually start.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Denise07 said:

Well, I continue to like Anu.  Maybe it's the actress is so damn adorable?  But whatever it is, I find how this is unfolding very believable at least from her perspective.  Looking at the Raj side, I find him believable too.  Hear me out:  Raj has been consistently desperate.  If he actually goes through with it, I would believe that based on his characterization.  Someone mentioned that maybe Raj should tell Anu why he is single.  This would require that Raj had insight to this.  I don't think Raj realizes why he is still single. I also believe he feels he is the victim in most of his entanglements  (like really, I believe Raj believe he REALLY had a shot with Penny and even Bernadette). 

I also enjoyed Anu, Penny and Bernadette.  It was a refreshing combo.  However, we now have Bernie joining Penny in the "kind of settled for their partner" dept.  I. Can't. Even. here.  This is S12 and the last season, this doesn't feel like the time to shake it up.  I don't mind a Raj story line but it's like a secondary story line when it should be at the very lease tertiary.

I like Anu, too and find it totally in character for Raj to picture being married to a woman he's just met. He'd done that repeatedly. As for him not knowing why he is single, he had all his ex girlfriends come and talk to him about it. He damned well should know after that and should have made changed, but he didn't. He continued to feel every girl might be the only girl. This is Raj all over. YES- they are continuing the settled for their partner jokes but they have done this all along (although less with Bernie than Penny, but they've still done it) so why this surprises anyone I have no idea. I am totally convinced this is how the writers see it and how they have always seen it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, veejay said:

Oh, Penny. I would feel bad in a "gown" like that, too. LOL

I hated the dress and hated her hair. She was a mess. Why do they do this to her?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I hated the dress and hated her hair. She was a mess. Why do they do this to her?
That's how the cool thirsty somethings dress these days. Lol. Selling the style and ppls will be rocking it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, joyceraye said:

They should have been writing as if it was the last season anyway. It was the end of the contract and usually they haven't known for months into the last-contracted season whether there were going to be any more. Jim did them a favour by declaring his position up front. We've no idea how many of the others didn't intend to negotiate for more. It's not as if it's a big surprise there'd be no season 13. I think they could have come up with a better Tam story than this one. Sheldon is supposed to have changed since he was 14.

Tbf where was that shift in writing the past 5 seasons lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I laughed at the montage of some of the  most popular scenes of the show where they inserted Tam (Bath item, Staircase Implementation and Ballpit scene from Einstein Approximation) . That was unexpected 🤣. Casting for adult Tam was good.  The rest of the episode was below average and cliche. Much like the rest of the season so far.    

Edited by serena_1995
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zephon75 said:

I wonder what othet YS characters they will try and shoehorn into TBBT next.

This is exactly the reason that I have no "faith" or "confidence" that "they will get better". 

To us TBBT fans, there are 20 episodes left (or 18, because they already taped 12X05 and 12X06) to end with a "big bang".

To TPTB, it is: "Oh, crap, just 18 episodes? Quick, who else from YS can be shoehorned in the 18 episodes? Think!" 

Oh, well. 

 

PS: That being said, I hope I'm wrong, of course. 

  • Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

I laughed at the montage of some of the  most popular scenes of the show where they inserted Tam (Bath item, Staircase Implementation and Ballpit scene from Einstein Approximation) . That was unexpected 🤣. Casting for adult Tam was good.  The rest of the episode was below average and cliche. Much like the rest of the season so far.    

I've looked at that montage several times and I'm still trying to figure out how they did it.  In the napkin scene there are gift baskets missing, there are less on the chair and none on the floor. So it seemed to me that they re staged it with Tam and spliced Penny and Sheldon in with Kaley recording new dialogue.

Alex posted a video where they had re-created the ball pit so it seems to me like they had "Tam" recreate the Leonard part and spliced it with the original shot of Sheldon diving through the colored balls.

I'm still trying to figure out the rest of the differences.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vonmar said:

I've looked at that montage several times and I'm still trying to figure out how they did it.  In the napkin scene there are gift baskets missing, there are less on the chair and none on the floor. So it seemed to me that they re staged it with Tam and spliced Penny and Sheldon in with Kaley recording new dialogue.

Alex posted a video where they had re-created the ball pit so it seems to me like they had "Tam" recreate the Leonard part and spliced it with the original shot of Sheldon diving through the colored balls.

I'm still trying to figure out the rest of the differences.

Yam recreating Leonard was cute and got a chuckle or twp.Penny, Bernadette and Anu was interesting. Other than that, the episode didn't do much for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

That's how the cool thirsty somethings dress these days.

It would have been okay out on a lake. Not in an office

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It would have been okay out on a lake. Not in an office

I have seen ppls wear worse in an office. Tbh Penny has worn some shockers since the series started.

 

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.