The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tripper

1205 'The Planetarium Collision' (October 18)

Despite all the angry posts here I thought I was not as terrible as it could have been so there's that.

The planetarium scenes were fun. Howardette were absolutely terrific and both Bernie's role playing and the over the top Raj/Howard moment complete with Leonard crying made me legit LOL. hahaha

The Shamy plot was a mixed bag, in some ways both worse and better than expected.

• The good: The thing with the notes in the beginning was cute, the talk in the end was good. I even thought PP was better this time than last, although his bit was really brief. In general: AMY IS THE BEST!!!
  • The bad: Yet another "Sheldon is still Sheldon" plot for seemingly no good reason. We've been over this a gazillion times and there are better ways to cobble together a plot. ugh
  • The Ugly: OMG I'm not even sure who I'm more mad at: Sheldon for being his usual stupid short-sighted selfish self and going to Siebert OR Siebert WHO SHOULD BE THE RESPONSIBLE ADULT IN THE ROOM ACTUALLY REASSIGNING AMY WITHOUT HER CONSULTATION!?!? Okay, maybe I know who I'm more mad at. ugh I mean honestly, WTF @ both Sheldon and Siebert (and hey, the show is pretty much calling itself out!) but why would anyone listen to god damn Sheldon of all people to make such a personnel change???? This is not your first day! You done fucked up, Siebert!

Is is just me or was the tag missing?? Like the episode just ended. That was weird. I wonder if there was one filmed but cut??

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, April said:

but why would anyone listen to god damn Sheldon of all people to make such a personnel change????

I think:

1. what Sheldon said about this collaboration project, Siebert found it interesting;

2. Sheldon's convincing statement about Amy's importance on this project;

3. The fact that Sheldon tricked Siebert to believe that this was what Amy wanted......

finally "convinced" Siebert, so he made the personnel change. 

And if Siebert asked Amy herself about this, then we would have a different plot, oh well...

45 minutes ago, April said:

Is is just me or was the tag missing?? Like the episode just ended.

Yes, me too.  The bed scene was too long for tag scene, and not to mention I NEED to know Amy got her project back, ugh. 

• Like 1

Just now, KripkeRules said:

I think:

1. what Sheldon said about this collaboration project, Siebert found it interesting;

3. The fact that Sheldon tricked Siebert to believe that this was what Amy wanted......

And if Siebert asked Amy herself about this, then we would have a different plot, oh well...

I mean, yeah, obviously we would have a different plot but really, Siebert listening to Sheldon feels like such a rookie mistake. Not to mention going behind an employee's back is just inexcusable no matter what.

But of course the story is also a bit of a shout out to the very real problems female scientists face in academia and poor Amy having to suffer for it cause she's the only one of the TBBT ladies who has that job.

Just now, KripkeRules said:

Yes, me too.  The bed scene was too long for tag scene, and not to mention I NEED to know Amy got her project back, ugh. 

Yeah, I would have thought they could have made a scene in Amy's lab again with her kicking out Dr. Park or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrismo said:

I’m sorry if I got involved with my wife’s work  like what happened in this episode at the very minimum I would been sleeping on the couch. Having a dream on what I should of done wouldn’t of saved me.

Not sure how to answer that question. I guess the end with Raj and Howard (Bromance) was good and Penny leaving to run the stairs to double check Leonard saying there were 3 flights. The rest is forgetable IMHO!

21 minutes ago, KripkeRules said:

I think:

Well, thought out and I agree. I do believe Siebert needs his head examined for even listening to Sheldon!

The Sheldon funny part was his not getting the meaning of the shoes under the bed bit.

That was a big meh for me, with some annoyance put into it. 

I'll start with what I did like.

Howard and Raj's plot started out as a rehash, same old same old. I was pleasantly surprised when they took it another way and made them both express appreciation for each. Good for them, thumbs up from me on that.

Bernadette as a Russian the first time was great. Melissa is awesome. The follow up was redundant IMO. The third time actually annoyed me a little. 

The little Lenny exchange about Sheldon boring Penny and she has Leonard for that was cute and funny IMO.

Now...

Let me start on a general note. All of the wives seem to be unhappy or disillusioned with their men this season. That a very old comedic trope and I don't find it funny. It just makes me go "Ugh". Sure we don't need to see them extremely happy all the time but this is too much. In this episode only Howard, Raj and Leonard seemed to enjoy each other.

Sheldon... I understand that he didn't get that Amy cares about her job and wants to stick to it, putting it before their project. Yes, he has difficulties understanding others have different thoughts, feelings and perceptions than him (that's a Theory of Mind deficiency). But I'm with the "Sheldon should already know better" crowd in this. He should know by now that Amy's career is very important to her, as dull as it is in his eyes. And the very minimal thing to do would be to at the very very least talk to her before he turns to the president of the university! He was WAY over the line there. And the bit with him trying to be on the "feminist" side was too much for me, to the point that it annoyed and borderline disgusted me. They solved it but it was plainly annoying to me. And the part about losing herself in the relationship... Good for Amy for saying that, but there was much more wrong there than that. I'm not a Sheldon hater, but this time, in this episode, I did feel sorry for Amy. The good thing is I think this is just one and done.

Another note: The material they gave Newhart was lousy IMO. 

*Sigh* So far I don't like this season even a bit, in fact I dislike it.

Edited by bfm
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, KripkeRules said:

I think:

I have a hard time being overly critical of a guy who has been on the show 5 times in 12 years. On the other hand..........

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bfm said:

That was a big meh for me, with some annoyance put into it. 

I'll start with what I did like.

Howard and Raj's plot started out as a rehash, same old same old. I was pleasantly surprised when they took it another way and made them both express appreciation for each. Good for them, thumbs up from me on that.

Bernadette as a Russian the first time was great. Melissa is awesome. The follow up was redundant IMO. The third time actually annoyed me a little. 

The little Lenny exchange about Sheldon boring Penny and she has Leonard for that was cute and funny IMO.

Now...

Let me start on a general note. All of the wives seem to be unhappy or disillusioned with their men this season. That a very old comedic trope and I don't find it funny. It just makes me go "Ugh". Sure we don't need to see them extremely happy all the time but this is too much. In this episode only Howard, Raj and Leonard seemed to enjoy each other.

Sheldon... I understand that he didn't get that Amy cares about her job and wants to stick to it, putting it before their project. Yes, he has difficulties understanding others have different thoughts, feelings and perceptions than him (that's a Theory of Mind deficiency). But I'm with the "Sheldon should already know better" crowd in this. He should know by now that Amy's career is very important to her, as dull as it is in his eyes. And the very minimal thing to do would be to at the very very least talk to her before he turns to the president of the university! He was WAY over the line there. And the bit with him trying to be on the "feminist" side was too much for me, to the point that it annoyed and borderline disgusted me. They solved it but it was plainly annoying to me. And the part about losing herself in the relationship... Good for Amy for saying that, but there was much more wrong there than that. I'm not a Sheldon hater, but this time, in this episode, I did feel sorry for Amy. The good thing is I thin this is just one and done.

Another note: The material they gave Newhart was lousy IMO. 

*Sigh* So far I don't like this season even a bit, in fact I dislike it.

I think the season has started with some pretty weak episodes to be honest. I  don't really get what the writers wants to accomplish with these episodes.

Edited by Swedish Chef
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, April said:

The Ugly: OMG I'm not even sure who I'm more mad at: Sheldon for being his usual stupid short-sighted selfish self and going to Siebert OR Siebert WHO SHOULD BE THE RESPONSIBLE ADULT IN THE ROOM ACTUALLY REASSIGNING AMY WITHOUT HER CONSULTATION!?!? Okay, maybe I know who I'm more mad at. ugh I mean honestly, WTF @ both Sheldon and Siebert (and hey, the show is pretty much calling itself out!) but why would anyone listen to god damn Sheldon of all people to make such a personnel change???? This is not your first day! You done fucked up, Siebert!

Definitely agree with you here. Siebert has known Sheldon for years, why would he believe him without checking with Amy herself? I understand they tried to make some point about them deciding for her but it was just unbelievable given that it was Sheldon.

25 minutes ago, Swedish Chef said:

I think the season has started with some pretty weak episodes to be honest. I  don't really get what the writers wants to accomplish with these episodes.

For me they're not just weak, some of them actively annoy/upset me, especially 12×03. 

Forgot to add: I wish they were more consistent with Amy's work. I mean, there are scientist who change between a variety of subjects but this is not that common and it's not like that. Amy seems to change topics every year or two. They just have her do whatever has to do with Neuoscience and can be used for laughs. This is not how it works and when it comes to Leonard and Sheldon they do seem to know this.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, bfm said:

Definitely agree with you here. Siebert has known Sheldon for years, why would he believe him without checking with Amy herself? I understand they tried to make some point about them deciding for her but it was just unbelievable given that it was Sheldon.

TBBTgirlshighfive.gif.f2bab5bcd1badec301e962f9411a4e50.gif

35 minutes ago, bfm said:

Forgot to add: I wish they were more consistent with Amy's work. I mean, there are scientist who change between a variety of subjects but this is not that common and it's not like that. Amy seems to change topics every year or two. They just have her do whatever has to do with Neuoscience and can be used for laughs. This is not how it works and when it comes to Leonard and Sheldon they do seem to know this. 

Weirdly enough they had a line or two that indicated she's been working on this project for years so...??? They seem to be flip-flopping with whether or not she has a new project and it being all part of the same... somehow?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, April said:

TBBTgirlshighfive.gif.f2bab5bcd1badec301e962f9411a4e50.gif

Weirdly enough they had a line or two that indicated she's been working on this project for years so...??? They seem to be flip-flopping with whether or not she has a new project and it being all part of the same... somehow?

She was working on addictions, there was something about reward processing but that's actually made total sense with the addiction work, then something about fear, then neuron-operated robots somehow (which to me felt very cliche` "Ooh Neurosciene - robot arms!") and now suddenly sensory deprivation. Hard to connect the dots here. Of course it may not bother the vast majority of viewers, but since I have some basic knowledge in this field it does bother me. 

Honestly i don't know why i'm bothering watching this final season, this for me was another average episode in a so far disappointing season. Neither story was any good but the Howard & Raj plot was the more preferable of the two i just didn't like the Shamy story it was just another time Sheldon was being selfish to someone. I did like that president Siebert was back he was probably the highlight of the whole episode , Leonard & Penny where back behind there metaphorical kitchen isle. Speaking of Penny her reaction to Sheldon explaining his work to her was the reaction you'd expect to see ,not that ridiculous thing we got last season. Anyway it was another episode to watch then forget about.

Also in my opinion i could of done without another Shamy bed scene or Howardette for that matter , we've have five bed scenes in these first five episodes and NONE! have been Lenny, are we ever going to see them in bed again?.

• Like 2
  • Leonard Cupid 1

26 minutes ago, Zephon75 said:

are we ever going to see them in bed again?.

I've given up hope in that regard! It's as if that's taboo for these writers!

• Like 1

Why would lenny have a bed scene? What would they talk about? Oh wait, just do it for 5mins and got nothing to talk about and role eyes how they should not be together.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KripkeRules said:

This idea intrigues me.

15 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Why would lenny have a bed scene? What would they talk about? Oh wait, just do it for 5mins and got nothing to talk about and role eyes how they should not be together. emoji849.png

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Oh my god, spot on!

10 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I’m sorry if I got involved with my wife’s work  like what happened in this episode at the very minimum I would been sleeping on the couch. Having a dream on what I should of done wouldn’t of saved me.

Yeah Sheldons luckey Amy diddn't file for divorce.

2 hours ago, Zephon75 said:

Honestly i don't know why i'm bothering watching this final season, this for me was another average episode in a so far disappointing season. Neither story was any good but the Howard & Raj plot was the more preferable of the two i just didn't like the Shamy story it was just another time Sheldon was being selfish to someone. I did like that president Siebert was back he was probably the highlight of the whole episode , Leonard & Penny where back behind there metaphorical kitchen isle. Speaking of Penny her reaction to Sheldon explaining his work to her was the reaction you'd expect to see ,not that ridiculous thing we got last season. Anyway it was another episode to watch then forget about.

Also in my opinion i could of done without another Shamy bed scene or Howardette for that matter , we've have five bed scenes in these first five episodes and NONE! have been Lenny, are we ever going to see them in bed again?.

Had bed scene I think S9 it was. But have not had regular Lenny pillow talk that i really miss since S5. i guess just like Sheldons 'bazinga'. Theyv'e dropped it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, April said:
  •  
  • The bad: Yet another "Sheldon is still Sheldon" plot for seemingly no good reason.

It seems the reason was so that PP could give a pep talk.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Couldn’t he given a pep talk to Leonard? Leonard grew up watching PP too

6 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Leonard isn't as clueless as Sheldon and PP probably realizes he doesn't need the "pep talk" as much!

18 hours ago, djsurrey said:

We 've been over this a gazillion times and there are better ways to cobble together a plot.

Like, you could have PP without turning the episode into a "Sheldon will always be Sheldon" plot again in which he's inexplicably behaving like 6 years ago. For example, Amy could have different problems at work but Sheldon doesn't know how to help her, maybe they even fight, and so PP appears in Sheldon's dream. Not that difficult!

Edited by Tripper
  • Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Chrismo said:

...and he also watched star wars but Leonard has different anxieties. Reassuring PP in robes is in Sheldon's head. Leonard only seems to get nightmares.

I'd add a photo but to be nice I'll let that go.

21 hours ago, Swedish Chef said:

Shuffling people over to YS?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, April said:

Like, you could have PP without turning the episode into a "Sheldon will always be Sheldon" plot again in which he's inexplicably behaving like 6 years ago. For example, Amy could have different problems at work but Sheldon doesn't know how to help her, maybe they even fight, and so PP appears in Sheldon's dream. Not that difficult!

This!

I can think of a number of ways Proton could have appeared as his spirit guide involving some kind of argument between Amy and Sheldon without Sheldon having to regress 6 seasons or even been a major factor in how it played out.

IMO they went the most unimaginative and easy route with their story, indicative of poor storytelling and a lack of creativity especially when you consider the character development which gets thrown out of the window for a week.

• Like 9

Watching this episode "has made me want to start cutting myself again"....!!

Edited by The Lash
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Bernadette sounded really sexy, speaking in that Russian accent. :maninlove: 

It would have been sexier in the bed of their dark bedroom. Seems like Howard has experienced that already. Wonder what the results were. Was that when Bernadette got pregnant, both times? Sick, inquiring minds wants to know!  😏

• Like 1