The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tripper

1207 'The Grant Allocation Derivation' (November 1)

'The Grant Allocation Derivation' - Season 12, Episode 7 
Airs Thursday, November 1 at 8/7c on CBS.

Leonard is caught between a rock and a hard place when he's responsible for distributing extra grant money. Also, Bernadette turns the backyard playhouse into a hideaway from her husband and kids.

Joshua Malina and John Ross Bowie return as President Siebert and Barry Kripke, respectively.

• Like 4
  • Leonard Cupid 2

On 10/23/2018 at 7:43 AM, Tripper said:

'The Grant Allocation Derivation' - Season 12, Episode 7 
Airs Thursday, November 1 at 8/7c on CBS.

Leonard is caught between a rock and a hard place when he's responsible for distributing extra grant money. Also, Bernadette turns the backyard playhouse into a hideaway from her husband and kids.

Joshua Malina and John Ross Bowie return as President Siebert and Barry Kripke, respectively.

Kripke and Siebert, Should be good!:hi:

Mayin's take on the episode at Grok Nation

Mayim shares behind-the-scenes photos (and thoughts) from episode 7

Amy, Penny and Bernadette hang out in a tiny house—and it was fun to film!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I liked the idea of the girls playing in the wendy house  but Amy - oh dear :  she talked like Leonard about Sheldon and behaved like her adolescent self of seasons past. I was disappointed in her. 

• Like 2
  • It's a Tiara 1

Gave the episode a very good. Leonard generally had a spine in this episode. Though he bought a laser for himself at the end it was useful for the physics department. Unlike others who bought frivolous stuff just for themselves. The Bernadette storyline was fine until you realize Howard knew that she was hiding out. I don’t buy Howard would let her get away with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Nice to see Leonard have a story again.

It's hard to believe, but I had to laugh a lot! And yes, Leonard has earned his triumph at the end.

n_599.gif.15d57229a60e2e91f68e1ebe46a972c6.gif

• Like 4
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

This one is very good, very lighthearted.   (Although no LOL moments, but never mind.)

I like this Leonard's plot a lot more than the novel one last season. 

The girls are really cute together, laughing and hanging out in the tiny house. Wish it could be longer, though.

Very glad to see the "friendship side" gets refueled in this one, love all the Shelnard scenes.

Lenny are good in this one, Howardette have always been great to me, and those little details about Shamy is cute too.

AND, Kripke shows up in this one, with his "ass kissing ability"... Yeah, miss you, buddy. LOL. 

A very good one episode, indeed. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Gave the episode a very good. Leonard generally had a spine in this episode. Though he bought a laser for himself at the end it was useful for the physics department. Unlike others who bought frivolous stuff just for themselves. The Bernadette storyline was fine until you realize Howard knew that she was hiding out. I don’t buy Howard would let her get away with that.

Howard's not letting Bernie get away with hiding out. He's waiting until he's in trouble for lying about the life insurance.

• Like 1

shen_191.gif.c6633d74ff18f5f396eab265da0e2247.gif

shen_192.gif.edab24ec33fa396313f1fb31ee8442a1.gif

Hähä, korrekt. But fortunately I wouldn't want to refer this term to this episode. 😁

• Like 1

Hmm that was a mediocre one, IMO. When I think about it, I wouldn't say it was a decrease in writing level compared to earlier seasons, though. It's more a failure to freshen up, find new sources of comedy and new story directions. This is IMO a symptom of the show lasting too long. The jokes were typical Big Bang jokes, they just don't have the same effect anymore. I had some chuckles but nothing too much.

Bernadette wanting to have a place to rest a little made sense, although it fell a bit flat to me (maybe because this show is not very good at establishing the deeper feelings of its characters in a way that's relatable, partly because of the need to cram everyone in about 18 minutes and partly because of its writing style). It was amusing when the girls hung out there, but I didn't see the need to have them kind of excited to get away from their unknowing husbands and kind of making fun of them. We've just been talking about that dynamic on the DT, although this is far from the worst examples of it. They could have just have Penny and Amy there to support Bernadette and the excitement could be about this actually being fun. I'll add that I found it charming that Howard understood. Yes, they had the life insurance joke, which was typical Howard, but for once they did break the man-child trope a little and had him be (kind of) mature about it.

Sheldon had typical Sheldon jokes, although the ass kissing one surprised me, I think it should've been given to Howard or Raj. I did like that he was in side-kick position in this one, letting Leonard have the stage.

Honorable mention: Doctor Lee! Really liked her.

Penny getting turned on by Leonard's decisiveness was a nice turn. It wasn't too believable to me in the first scene, though. I think a big part of the problem is the switch from 0 to 100. One moment she's busy in the kitchen, the other she's so turned on that her whole body is moving. It was more believable when she talked to Bernadette the next scene. 

Johnny was great. I'm very glad he got a story. Leonard's reactions were IC and made sense to me, until the end. Leonard being worried about upsetting people speaks to the core of the character. Him being able to kind of accept this was growth, but I don't think taking the money for himself was necessary for that. I believe this thought could have gone through his head but I think he would've made an ethical choice in the end... They could still make pretty much the same jokes if he went with the telescope. 

P.S: That red-grey outfit deserved a high place in the list of Penny's worst ever outfits. 

Edited by bfm
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 2

Kripke and Siebert always make me happy. I just love seeing them, although the idea of Siebert just giving that job to Leonard was totally unrealistic.

I liked the ep a lot. I liked seeing everyone together at the beginning doing something with each other., We don't get enough of that and that's my favorite kind of ep. I liked Sheldon and Leonard kind of renewing their friendship in this and the girls doing that as well. Of course we had to have "the wine popped so it must be Penny" moment, but I expected that. Howard saving the secret for when he gets caught out for no insurance was traditional Howard, which was a welcome moment. I don't know why they had to bring in a new colleague, though. Couldn't they have used someone we know? Especially since I associate animal research with Amy.

I wish we'd had a scene with Raj and Anu, however, even if it was a short one. They don't have a lot of time to work on this. I like her (unlike a lot of other fans apparently) and I want them to set her up correctly if she and Raj are going to marry.

• Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know why they had to bring in a new colleague, though. Couldn't they have used someone we know? Especially since I associate animal research with Amy.

I think it brought a tiny bit of realism into an otherwise not very realistic university (not Caltech, but its TBBT representation).

Edited by bfm
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, bfm said:

I think it brought a tiny bit of realism into an otherwise not very realistic university (not Caltech, but its TBBT representation).

Also, I thought the actress was very good indeed, she played her role really well.

• Like 6

I enjoyed this episode.  I think the balanced all the characters well and it was great to see some University folks from the past.

• A bit of retro-Amy on the "secret club."
  • Howard's "Penny's in there, too."
  • Loved the crow woman.  Great stuff.
  • The use of occasional characters was great.  Just as the various characters who are relatives of the cast are done so well.
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

I don't know why they had to bring in a new colleague, though. Couldn't they have used someone we know? Especially since I associate animal research with Amy.

If you put Amy in the mix you bring in Sheldon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

If you put Amy in the mix you bring in Sheldon.

True, and another confrontation between Lenny and Shamy. The bird woman was funny!

• Like 1

The Big Bang Theory Recap: Bernie’s Playhouse

vulture.com

g_206.gif.3c8b4c89c9c49229fa8a8d3d97d50953.gif

- "It takes a lot of little white lies, multiple bottles of wine, and what appears to be an Easy-Bake Oven to complete the picture, but the friends do manage to co-opt a playhouse constructed for the Wolowitz children as their secret club." -

g_207.gif.433c846563678740119cd6c8a9a541d1.gif

:icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 4

Finally managed to watch it.

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the recent ones, it's not that I think the stories were that creatively superior compared to recent ones or anything in this one, it just felt a much lighter episode, felt more fun and the friendships were actually on display in this.  There was no real or major bickering in this one, a refreshing change! 😊

You had some Shelnard, you had the girls together in scenes (a rarer occurrence these days, something Mayim mentioned in her piece as well) and I did have more laughs.

It might be the best episode they have done this season so far.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, veejay said:

The Big Bang Theory Recap: Bernie’s Playhouse

vulture.com

g_206.gif.3c8b4c89c9c49229fa8a8d3d97d50953.gif

- "It takes a lot of little white lies, multiple bottles of wine, and what appears to be an Easy-Bake Oven to complete the picture, but the friends do manage to co-opt a playhouse constructed for the Wolowitz children as their secret club." -

g_207.gif.433c846563678740119cd6c8a9a541d1.gif

:icon_cheesygrin:

What are the qualifications to review TV shows? She complained it was too light on the Sheldon storyline? What should be my response?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well this was a decent episode nothing great ( Still waiting for the greastest season ever to start). It was good to see President Siebert again and of course Kripke. The Leonard plot was good , him being decisive was good to see and Penny finding it sexy is believable as she has said in the past she likes it when he is more sure of himself. Although her reaction in the apartment did feel abit odd , but the way she was talking about him to Bernadette was believable. The Bernadette plot was understandable but was ruined by the way it was delivered and by including Penny then Amy into it as well. I don't even know why Penny wanted to hide from Leonard , i get him going from decisive to worried didn't do it for her , but to go and and hide on him felt wrong. When Bernadette asked Penny had she ever told Leonard a little white lie, i was actually expecting her to say something to put him down in some way. So i was surprised when all she did was admit that she that she hasn't seen all the Star Wars movies. Also when Bernadette told Penny what she was doing , Penny said it made strange and a little sad, yet ended up doing the same thing. Oh and i was surprised when Leonard mentioned that Penny asked him to go to Coachella , i'm wondering if they did go as he did mention heatstroke .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zephon75 said:

Well this was a decent episode nothing great ( Still waiting for the greastest season ever to start). It was good to see President Siebert again and of course Kripke. The Leonard plot was good , him being decisive was good to see and Penny finding it sexy is believable as she has said in the past she likes it when he is more sure of himself. Although her reaction in the apartment did feel abit odd , but the way she was talking about him to Bernadette was believable. The Bernadette plot was understandable but was ruined by the way it was delivered and by including Penny then Amy into it as well. I don't even know why Penny wanted to hide from Leonard , i get him going from decisive to worried didn't do it for her , but to go and and hide on him felt wrong. When Bernadette asked Penny had she ever told Leonard a little white lie, i was actually expecting her to say something to put him down in some way. So i was surprised when all she did was admit that she that she hasn't seen all the Star Wars movies. Also when Bernadette told Penny what she was doing , Penny said it made strange and a little sad, yet ended up doing the same thing. Oh and i was surprised when Leonard mentioned that Penny asked him to go to Coachella , i'm wondering if they did go as he did mention heatstroke .

Interesting, very interesting indeed! 

• Koala Face 1

Yes this was a good one, after a few hiccoughs in the opening of the season.

Nice to see Lenny not being quite so negative to each other and Howardette developing in the relationship to the point where they can accommodate for personal space and needs.

I did have  a few LOL moments and it's an episode I'd want to watch again, which is usually my criteria for a 'good' episode.

• Like 2