Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tripper

1210 'The VCR Illumination' (December 6)

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Think Penny and Leonard were in three short scenes and one of course by the kitchen island.  How about poor Raj, believe he was in only one short scene. Geez, this has really become the Sheldon/Shamy show

This is so true. Sheldon still proves he is a 35-40 yr old baby.  And yes Beverly denigrating her son again is a tired scene. Thought we were over this when she favored Penny as a daughter-in-law and was proud of Leonard that he married well.  The thing that bothered me about this episode was at the end it left open Shamy's continued research on asymmetry.  So I guess there will be more Sheldon/Shamy episodes to come!

Become? Dude that ship sailed a long time ago. Ive consigned myself to the reality since around the beggining of S8. This show is no longer The Big Bang Theory. But The Sheldon Cooper Show. Amy incidentaly just gets alot of screentime as shes Sheldons other half. Its sad how disproportionate storylines and screentime for the other great characters have been shelved over the years. But its almost like at first it was a struggle to accomodate for everyone. When you went from 5 characters . And one couple to 4. But now theirs a sense since YS theyve put their eggs into this one basket. As expected it was a VCR plot device used to strengthen Sheldons resolve. And further the Super Assymtery plot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zephon75 said:

Okay this turned out to be a decent episode not great but okay, I liked the Howardette plot more than the Shamy one, but both could have been so much better than they where. Beverly once again showed herself to be a lousy mother to Leonard, when asking for professional advice from her she told him she was busy. But as soon as Penny told her it was for Sheldon all of a sudden she had time to spare so she could help.  We learn that Leonard had two dogs die, but more likely they think we forgot that we were told his dog died in season three. My biggest issue with this episode was the shoehorning of YS into the show, to me it was a shameless plug for YS.  Was also disappointed that the whole reason Lenny got dressed up was  to do a send off for Shamies paper.  

At Leonard's age when Sheldon told him his mother had needed to have his dog put down it could well have been his third or even fourth dog,depending on the breed. He was a child when the dog they were talking about yesterday was killed by a truck. It's a running joke, and a bit of a tired one, that Leonard's mother cares more about his friend than him. She has a lot of insight into how Sheldon's mind works, which was why Lenny called on her. They don't otherwise have a great respect for her 'skills'.

I liked that Sheldon was in some way reconciled to his father. It's bothered him over the years that his father wasn't around when he was becoming an adult and he's never really spoken well of him. Now he has something to thank him for. That's good for anybody's emotional well-being.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

At Leonard's age when Sheldon told him his mother had needed to have his dog put down it could well have been his third or even fourth dog,depending on the breed. He was a child when the dog they were talking about yesterday was killed by a truck. It's a running joke, and a bit of a tired one, that Leonard's mother cares more about his friend than him. She has a lot of insight into how Sheldon's mind works, which was why Lenny called on her. They don't otherwise have a great respect for her 'skills'.

I liked that Sheldon was in some way reconciled to his father. It's bothered him over the years that his father wasn't around when he was becoming an adult and he's never really spoken well of him. Now he has something to thank him for. That's good for anybody's emotional well-being.

I'm sorry, but that was fake "YS" dad, not the one we heard about for over 10 years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chucky said:

I'm sorry, but that was fake "YS" dad, not the one we heard about for over 10 years.

My major problem is how much cannon they’ve changed with YS. The idea that YS meemaw becomes TBBT meemaw. Is unbelievable

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 3ku11 said:

My major problem is how much cannon they’ve changed with YS. The idea that YS meemaw becomes TBBT meemaw. Is unbelievable

agreed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chucky said:

I'm sorry, but that was fake "YS" dad, not the one we heard about for over 10 years.

Definitely different from the one grown-up Sheldon, and to some extent Mary, talked about ! I certainly didn't expect a teacher. Drunk, dishonest, ignorant, belligerent and unfaithful, 'not a clever man', 'once picked a fight with  cactus', and ' dumb ass daddy' was what we'd been led to expect. Perhaps George was taken over by that bloke eventually. YS hasn't shown more than a few hints of that aspect yet. Sheldon saw him on the tape doing his job. The sports teacher is supposed to pep up the team at half time whatever he or she really thinks. I'm glad for Sheldon's sake that he got a glimpse of another side of his father and that it was a useful experience. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

die just like Beverly

can't stand her character on the show and the episode where she and penny get drunk makes me cringe and yell at my TV eww just horrible

 

one thing i do wanna state is, why are we doing all these filler episodes you would think with only so many episodes left till the end we would be delving into story lines that matter and need to be addressed i hope the second half will do this and the first half was maybe already written not knowing it was going to end or what everyone else says here the writers don't care anymore 

Edited by MookiStar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

My major problem is how much canon they’ve changed with YS. The idea that YS meemaw becomes TBBT meemaw. Is unbelievable

People slow down between their sixties and their nineties. I'd like to know what happened to effect the changes in Meemaw.

  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Definitely different from the one grown-up Sheldon, and to some extent Mary, talked about ! I certainly didn't expect a teacher. Drunk, dishonest, ignorant, belligerent and unfaithful, 'not a clever man', 'once picked a fight with  cactus', and ' dumb ass daddy' was what we'd been led to expect. Perhaps George was taken over by that bloke eventually. YS hasn't shown more than a few hints of that aspect yet. Sheldon saw him on the tape doing his job. The sports teacher is supposed to pep up the team at half time whatever he or she really thinks. I'm glad for Sheldon's sake that he got a glimpse of another side of his father and that it was a useful experience. 

Sorry, to me that wasn't his father. He was a cloned carbon copy.

  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laughed quite a bit. Was a decent episode. I watch and enjoy YS so the crossover didn’t faze me but I get the confusion of non viewers with George Snr. He definitely is not the BBT version. As a bit of a softie I liked the connection he made with his dad. Too much whiny Sheldon spoilt it though.

Lenny are just Shamys helpful neighbours now who crack a few jokes or pull a few faces before being inserted into Sheldon’s problem of the week. Howardette are slowly replacing them as the secondary couple for stories at least.

Melissa and Mayim must wonder some weeks why Kunal ( and even Kaley and Johnny some weeks ) get paid so much more than them. Raj was about as useful to this episode as Georgie Jnr on the VCR.

Really telling that the writers find value in a puff piece plot on Howard’s magic act but can’t find a story for Lenny without Shamy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 5
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the small parts with Leonard and Penny funnier and more interesting than everything with Sheldon.  I’m so over watching another episode of whining Sheldon, plus now we have whiny Amy, who has to come over and beg Leonard and Penny to help her solve her problems with Sheldon.  I don’t even understand why we had a plot about Howard doing magic, I thought that was dead a long time ago.  A double date between Howard, Bernadette, Anu and Raj would have been more interesting, to either get the Anu character closer to Raj and the group or start dissolving the relationship.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

My major problem is how much cannon they’ve changed with YS. The idea that YS meemaw becomes TBBT meemaw. Is unbelievable

I didn't get that much of a read on Meemaw from what was said and shown on TBBT. But I intensely disliked her appearance there. Not that I'm blaming the actress. It was a horrible script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Itwasdestined said:

Laughed quite a bit. Was a decent episode. I watch and enjoy YS so the crossover didn’t faze me but I get the confusion of non viewers with George Snr. He definitely is not the BBT version. As a bit of a softie I liked the connection he made with his dad. Too much whiny Sheldon spoilt it though.

Lenny are just Shamys helpful neighbours now who crack a few jokes or pull a few faces before being inserted into Sheldon’s problem of the week. Howardette are slowly replacing them as the secondary couple for stories at least.

Melissa and Mayim must wonder some weeks why Kunal ( and even Kaley and Johnny some weeks ) get paid so much more than them. Raj was about as useful to this episode as Georgie Jnr on the VCR.

Really telling that the writers find value in a puff piece plot on Howard’s magic act but can’t find a story for Lenny without Shamy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely right on with Lenny

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

Laughed quite a bit. Was a decent episode. I watch and enjoy YS so the crossover didn’t faze me but I get the confusion of non viewers with George Snr. He definitely is not the BBT version. As a bit of a softie I liked the connection he made with his dad. Too much whiny Sheldon spoilt it though.

Lenny are just Shamys helpful neighbours now who crack a few jokes or pull a few faces before being inserted into Sheldon’s problem of the week. Howardette are slowly replacing them as the secondary couple for stories at least.

Melissa and Mayim must wonder some weeks why Kunal ( and even Kaley and Johnny some weeks ) get paid so much more than them. Raj was about as useful to this episode as Georgie Jnr on the VCR.

Really telling that the writers find value in a puff piece plot on Howard’s magic act but can’t find a story for Lenny without Shamy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fail to understand why Kunal was even there. He got paid for one line, maybe two. That's a waste of money, time and talent!

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Itwasdestined said:

Lenny are just Shamys helpful neighbours now who crack a few jokes or pull a few faces before being inserted into Sheldon’s problem of the week. Howardette are slowly replacing them as the secondary couple for stories at least.

Melissa and Mayim must wonder some weeks why Kunal ( and even Kaley and Johnny some weeks ) get paid so much more than them. Raj was about as useful to this episode as Georgie Jnr on the VCR.

Really telling that the writers find value in a puff piece plot on Howard’s magic act but can’t find a story for Lenny without Shamy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree.

18 minutes ago, chucky said:

I fail to understand why Kunal was even there. He got paid for one line, maybe two. That's a waste of money, time and talent!

He has to be in every episode, by contract. So they just had him watch Howard's act and sit on the couch in the opening.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bfm said:

Totally agree.

He has to be in every episode, by contract. So they just had him watch Howard's act and sit on the couch in the opening.

Yeah, I know that. Just a waste. For all he did, they should have paid him and gave him the week off!  :hi:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 7:13 AM, veejay said:

h_48.gif.14348bb23166fab20d886c6d365491b9.gif

Okay. Now I know why this series has become too expensive. 😉

I was hoping for a tag where the owner found his watch in good condition safely in his pocket. Fingers crossed a future episode begins with that or Bernie will find her hard-earned money under the hammer. :)

12 hours ago, chucky said:

Sorry, to me that wasn't his father. He was a cloned carbon copy.

He was laying it on thick for the recording he was making. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I was hoping for a tag where the owner found his watch in good condition safely in his pocket. Fingers crossed a future episode begins with that or Bernie will find her hard-earned money under the hammer. :)

He was laying it on thick for the recording he was making. 

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Th last season is going down the toilet unfortunately.

 

Leonard; Penny and Raj need not be there at all. Bernadette and Howard have some good scenes - but the magic thing was just awful.

The premise of the show was Leonard's efforts to get Penny.......once that was resolved, it became all about Sheldon - with the dreadful YS spin-off.

 

Season 12 is the Big Whimper.....not the Big Bang

 

To quote Sheldon "They slowly lowered the quality, until nobody cared"

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Lash said:

Th last season is going down the toilet unfortunately.

 

Leonard; Penny and Raj need not be there at all. Bernadette and Howard have some good scenes - but the magic thing was just awful.

The premise of the show was Leonard's efforts to get Penny.......once that was resolved, it became all about Sheldon - with the dreadful YS spin-off.

 

Season 12 is the Big Whimper.....not the Big Bang

 

To quote Sheldon "They slowly lowered the quality, until nobody cared"

Yep but if your a Leonard and Penny fan. You would expect some kinda pay off. But it’s very little. I think it would of been preferable for Lenny to get married in the final episode. But I sometimes wonder what is even the premise anymore. It’s barley a sitcom anymore. It’s mostly a show about Young Student Professionals now. But a lot of it’s painfully unfunny. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Lash said:

Th last season is going down the toilet unfortunately.

 

Leonard; Penny and Raj need not be there at all. Bernadette and Howard have some good scenes - but the magic thing was just awful.

The premise of the show was Leonard's efforts to get Penny.......once that was resolved, it became all about Sheldon - with the dreadful YS spin-off.

 

Season 12 is the Big Whimper.....not the Big Bang

 

To quote Sheldon "They slowly lowered the quality, until nobody cared"

The premise of the show was always advertised - and it still is all over the internet - to be about four nerdy, intelligent bachelors and a woman who moved in across the hall from two of them. The Big Bang was supposed to be the expansion Penny brought to the men's  universe. It doesn't mention Leonard in particular.

As I recall, three of the bachelors spent their time trying to get laid when not working or playing games. Leonard did make efforts to get Penny, but not to the exclusion of others. It was years before he and Penny were consistently serious about each other. Howard was just as set on Penny in his creepy way. Raj's storylines have hardly ever strayed from the premise. At least everybody else's love lives have been settled now. When I watch those early episodes I'm surprised to see how much Sheldon has always dominated. At the time I thought it was an ensemble show but it centred on Sheldon far more than I realised. It's his universe that's expanded more than anyone's. Even that is thanks to Penny. He wouldn't be where he is now but for how she raised Amy. Leonard claims to have raised Sheldon but Penny's work was just as hard and she had Leonard to raise as well.

I wonder if the way they've been giving Howardette more of their own stories is a try out to see if there's a spin off possibility. I don't want to meet Howard's father unless he's got a very good explanation for not keeping in touch for twenty seven years.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

It’s mostly a show about Young Student Professionals now. But a lot of it’s painfully unfunny. 

Well, we do get a giggle every once in a while. 

 

1 minute ago, joyceraye said:

The premise of the show was always advertised - and it still is all over the internet - to be about four nerdy, intelligent bachelors and a woman who moved in across the hall from two of them. The Big Bang was supposed to be the expansion Penny brought to the men's  universe. It doesn't mention Leonard in particular.

As I recall, three of the bachelors spent their time trying to get laid when not working or playing games. Leonard did make efforts to get Penny, but not to the exclusion of others. It was years before he and Penny were consistently serious about each other. Howard was just as set on Penny in his creepy way. Raj's storylines have hardly ever strayed from the premise. At least everybody else's love lives have been settled now. When I watch those early episodes I'm surprised to see how much Sheldon has always dominated. At the time I thought it was an ensemble show but it centred on Sheldon far more than I realised. It's his universe that's expanded more than anyone's. Even that is thanks to Penny. He wouldn't be where he is now but for how she raised Amy. Leonard claims to have raised Sheldon but Penny's work was just as hard and she had Leonard to raise as well.

I wonder if the way they've been giving Howardette more of their own stories is a try out to see if there's a spin off possibility. I don't want to meet Howard's father unless he's got a very good explanation for not keeping in touch for twenty seven years.

I don't want to meet him at all!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Lash said:

The premise of the show was Leonard's efforts to get Penny

That was never the premise of the show.

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vonmar said:

That was never the premise of the show.

It may not have started out that way, but, that's how it's ending. He actually caught her. Which proves, love conquers all.

  • Like 2
  • Koala Face 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chucky said:

It may not have started out that way, but, that's how it's ending. He actually caught her. Which proves, love conquers all.

The premise is the basis for the show, what Chuck and Bill pitched.  They didn't pitch P/L they pitched the nerds and the pretty worldly girl.

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.