The Big Bang Theory Forums
Laspector

Need help identifying a scene

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question about an episode. I am a huge fan of the show, I have the entire series on my DVR and own all the discs. I know I have seen every episode at least thirty or forty times. When watching a clip I can usually tell what show it is in just a few seconds, but I am having trouble identifying one. In the video below, the first ten seconds or so show the boys at some kind of dance studio dancing with some older women (you'll have to play the video, it is not the screen shot that is showing). For the life of me I cannot remember ever seeing this particular clip. It seems to be from one of the earlier seasons. Can someone please tell me what episode this was in?

in the episodes i have and i have the entire set, this scene doesn't appear in my episode and quoted above, not sure why the rest is there but not the scene we are talking about ill check again in the morning maybe i am tired and missing something 

I checked my broadcast version on my DVR and it is definitely not there. Maybe it is only on the disc. I'll have to pull them out and check. Maybe that scene was cut for time or something.

37 minutes ago, Laspector said:

I checked my broadcast version on my DVR and it is definitely not there. Maybe it is only on the disc. I'll have to pull them out and check. Maybe that scene was cut for time or something.

Local stations tend to cut scenes, to be able to air more commercials.   Two examples from our local station is the sperm bank scene in the pilot and the short scene in "The Skank Reflex Analysis" where Penny opens her apartment door, and upon seeing Sheldon and Leonard, slams it closed.  Sheldon's comment, "She's not very subtle, is she." is cut.   The scene goes right to Penny asking Amy if she could stay at Amy's.  

yeah i checked again my broadcast version does not have it and the run time on my is shorter than listed online 

• Like 1

I don't have any DVDs and I think I've seen the dance scene in Fuzzy Boots on British TV. Scenes or lines are sometimes cut for the time of day. If a reference to addiction is made even in a scientific context it's cut before 9pm - it makes one conversation between Sheldon and his mother sound strange when she asks after Amy - and sometimes sexual references are cut during the daytime.  I've just checked and the dance scene is on Netflix in S1E3 about halfway through.  I don't know why it would be cut as Howard's skanky remark would be over the heads of children.

What is the context of this scene? From the episode I've seen, there is no talk of going out dancing, or referencing 'anything can happen Thursday'. Why are they there?

33 minutes ago, Laspector said:

What is the context of this scene? From the episode I've seen, there is no talk of going out dancing, or referencing 'anything can happen Thursday'. Why are they there?

The salsa scene follows Leonard talking about how he struck out with Leslie Winkle. Howard says he has a solution, which leads into the dance class:

Howard: So, how did it go with Leslie?

Leonard: Oh, we tried kissing, but the earth didn't move. I mean any more than the 383 miles that it was going to move anyway.

Sheldon: Oh, I've seen that look before. This is just going to be two weeks of moping and tedious emo songs, and calling me to come down to pet stores to look at cats. I don't know if I can take it.

Raj: You could power down.

Howard: Well, as usual, Wolowitz has the solution. I happen to know a place where there are plenty of eligible women, and Leonard could have his pick.

This is the very short dance scene:

Class instructor: Remember the Latin hips. Shoulders stay still, and we sway. One, two, three. Five, six, seven.

Howard: (to Leonard) I think Mrs. Tishman's got her eye on you. I've been there, you're in for a treat.

Given how extrinsic this all is to the plot of the episode, it's perhaps not too surprising stations are cutting this scene out.