The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Hawking

50 years ago today.

Precisely 50 years ago today, three men were 240,000 miles from earth.

They chose to make a very poignant broadcasts, and, on this Christmas Day, I'd like to post the text of that broadcast:-

William Anders

We are now approaching lunar sunrise, and for all the people back on Earth, the crew of Apollo 8 has a message that we would like to send to you.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

James Lovell

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Frank Borman

And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called the Seas: and God saw that it was good.

And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with good night, good luck, a Merry Christmas – and God bless all of you, all of you on the good Earth.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

On 12/30/2018 at 7:56 PM, walnutcowboy said:

They chose their broadcasts well !

Not everyone agreed.

An atheist tried to sue them over it.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Not everyone agreed.

An atheist tried to sue them over it.

I don't doubt it. When, as a CHRISTian, something offends Me, MYSELF, I look away or change the channel, but there are some people (I'm not picking on any one type) out there that when offended just want to sue about it or destroy it. It's their way or the highway. Nuff' said.   

Edited by walnutcowboy