In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

I'm like Sheldon

alejandrofsc

Wondering around your pages and comments I found someone asking if someone like Sheldon really exists. Well I guess he does, or should I say I do?

Of course Sheldon's characteristics are exagerated for the show's purposes but I find myself constantly being related to Sheldon's attitudes and comments not only by myself but also by friends.

Hard or not? how could I know? I'm in my shoes and have never been in other's but certainly one feels "different". While I'm not at all like Sheldon physically, I can relate to the social troubles of a high IQ, the torment of finding other's unable to think as I do and the interesting inability to anticipate other's feelings, specially those caused by my remarks (this I've worked on a lot!) plus a few strokes of obssessive compulsive behaviour or thinking.

So yes, there's people like us.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. My co-workers have been calling me "Sheldon" since Season 1. I am not nearly as intelligent as the character (I only hold one doctorate), but we do share a lot of similar traits - comics, computers, sci-fi, mathematics, an overwhelming need to hear the grammatically correct English, the exact same taste in clothing style - and not knowing for certain how to interact in social situations. Weird how a fictional character can so readily reflect a person's reality!

Everybody can relate to characters of the series...

That's why it's so popular. You all see a little bit of yourself in Sheldon because he is the defining standout of the series. So, yeah, I see a tinny bit of me there as well (particularly in the comic books obsession department, though I don't like the Flash and Green Lantern, I'm more of a Deadpool and Hellboy guy). Some people are bound to see a lot more of themselves in the character.

Now, if I had to pick a character of the show that is more like me, well, I'm like a 6'4" 280 pound male Leslie. Or a drunken Raj...

No, that's not it. It is not because he is the standout of the series that I made these comments - it is precisely because his interests and many of his mannerisms are so similar to mine that my colleagues immediatley noticed this. I did not self-identify with the character; in fact, I did not begin watching the series until about half-way through Season 1, after my colleagues kept telling me that I simply HAD to watch this show and see this character.

I keep finding part's of the cast in my friends I have to stop myself from looking when we're all in the same room I keep thinking he has a little bit of Sheldon or boy he's more like Leonard every day they all know I'm a BBT fan so what they think about me god only know's

Of course people like Sheldon exist. And I actually believe it's a very liberating feeling to be like Sheldon, to be able to say what you think without feeling much of a concern for possible consequences. Unfortunately, considering that people like Sheldon are different than others, it's difficult for them to fit in, since others get insulted by "Sheldon's" remarks, but I also believe friendships with those kind of people are much stronger than with "ordinary" people. You just need to be able to understand them, which unfortunately a lot of people cannot.

I'm not like Sheldon at all. I would say I'm like a lite version of a female Leonard.

I wish I was like Sheldon....

I do appreciate the comment from the original post, about how obviously his character is exaggerated but thats what keeps him on point.

The show just gets better and better.

• 1 year later...

Is it bad that I'm almost exactly like Sheldon? Even at times as extreme as he is? The only differences between us is that I'm a girl, I'm not as smart, and I'm slightly quieter than he is.

• 1 month later...

You guys are all aspies! Yay aspies! Aspies unite! The reason I started watching the show in the first place is that someone told me it had an aspie as a main character, and Sheldon does such a good job of making aspies funny and lovable! (Leonard is on the spectrum too, IMHO.)

@ Paula: Uh, I'm not an aspie (as far as I know), but it wouldn't surprise me if there is something up with me. My friend just made me a sarcasm sign and it is the only thing that is keeping sarcasm vs. seriousness straight for my. Bye the way, what does IMHO mean? Also, are you an aspie?

Yes, I consider myself aspie. IMHO means In My Humble Opinion. Asperger's is like a cluster of characteristics, and people who identify as aspie can have various constellations of those characteristics to a greater or lesser degree. For example, like Sheldon I hate lying, down to the last fiber of my being, and I find that to be common in aspies, and find that most aspies prefer the directness and honesty they find in other aspies. Yet this aversion to lying is by no means universal among aspies, because I know a few aspies who lie easily. So people can have some aspie traits and not others, and there is a spectrum from having a few aspie-like traits to having a lot of aspie traits. Someone with a few aspie traits might not consider themselves an aspie, but could say they were "on the spectrum."

Leonard appears on the spectrum to me.

Huh. Well, I just spent an hour doing some research on Asperger's. From what I've found I actually have all of the traits other than a lack of empathy. I can feel bad when other people feel bad, it just doesn't always show in the way I act. There may be some truth to what you are saying.

Myself, I am very empathic as well. It is only the fact that neurotypicals are so hard to comprehend that makes aspies seem un-empathic. Neurotypicals are just as un-empathic toward aspies as vice versa -- there is just an out-of-syncness. But the aspie empathy tends to come out readily with animals.

Well, YOU noticed! Otherwise YOU would think you were like everybody else!

I would bet that people who know you do think you are just a little odd, they just don't think much about it, especially if you are on the quiet side and not assertive about it like Sheldon.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reason Sheldon is so endearing is because he is so honest about everything and doesn't care about hiding it. We live in a world where you have to hide yourself and feelings so much to save other people's feelings, and wouldn't it be interesting if you could just say what you want to say all of the time?

I saw the episode last night where the guys intentionally interrupt Sheldon while he is trying to describe what tapioca pudding is. They kept interrupting him so that he couldn't finish, and you could visually see Sheldon's feelings about it when he started having the nervous tick in his face (it was so funny). And, I can relate to that. I hate it when people interrupt me! Doesn't it bother all of us? But when that happens, I usually just stop talking and let the other person talk because I don't want to be rude back.

This show really explores a lot about human behaviors, more than any other show I have ever seen.

• 3 months later...

I didn't realize there were so many people like Sheldon. It's nice to know that I'm not so alone in this world. I've often wondered how it is that the writers knew so much about me. At times it feels almost creepy. I don't have an IQ as high as Sheldon's is supposed to be but close enough that it sets me apart from 98%+ of the people.

The book about sex they've referred to that they gave Sheldon. When I asked my father about sex he brought me a book called "Sex for Lay People" and told me to read it. Yes, in some cases that book gave me nightmares.

Interruptions drive me nuts. My wife does it all the time because she thinks she knows what I'm going to say and is impatient. Guaranteed to start an argument.

When Sheldon is sitting at the table having a conversation in his head and tells the guys they should hear the conversation. I've said that more than once. I quit listening to the radio in the car so that I could explore different ideas because I simply do not like music. I've only found one singer I can listen to and that's Adele.

I've recently been called Sheldon by a couple of people who have only seen a few episodes of TBBT. I do think of myself to be like Sheldon but he is obviously way more intellegent and we have different interests (other than video games). Also I'm not as outspoken (unfortunately). But I relate to him socially and share similar personality traits, idiosyncrasies, OCD-like stuff and just general views on things.

I'm very set in my ways, try to stay in my comfort zone, dislike unannounced house guests, parties, alcohol etc. Some of the typical things he says are definitely what I would say or think.

"Why would we want to do that? It's called the comfort zone for a reason."

"It's one of the few forms of interaction with people that I don't find repellent."

"Thank you for the invitation, but I have to decline because it doesn't sound like something I'll enjoy."

"Change is never fine."

And his whole wedding speech other than the Klingon.

I think I'm like a much quieter, not-outed Sheldon. :p My thought processes are often similar to his, in terms of awkwardness and discomfort in social situations, love of routine, sometimes preferring to be alone etc, but I often choose not to say it out loud. Also, I was never tested, but every Asperger's quiz I've ever taken says 'very likely'.

That looks like an interesting book!