Is Season3 as good as the first 2 seasons?

starchild

Considering that ratings for the BBT is skyrocketing through the roof (and good enough to warrant a request from the actors for a pay raise), I think I am in the minority here, to think that Season 3 is not as funny as Season 1 and Season 2.

I am not exactly sure why I did not find the jokes as hilarious as seen previous. Perhaps I prefer seeing Leonard try to woo Penny, instead of seeing them work on their new-found relationship (I recalled finding Frasier quite dull once Niles and Daphne settled together in their relationship). Perhaps I also prefer seeing Howard behave like PePe Le Pew (i.e., over-confident, and pretty much go overboard on all his dates) instead of finding a (albeit short term) girlfriend.

The geek aspects from the first two seasons seem to be missing in Season 3. Some of the funny science jokes and references to sci-fi movies (Star Wars! The Time Machine!) were also missing. I must admit, though, that towards the end, episodes 17 - 21 have become quite funny again. At the time of writing, Australia has yet to broadcast the last 2 episodes of Season 3, so I look forward to it being as funny as the last few.

Do Forum members think that Seaon 3 is as funny, or funnier, or not as funny, as the first two Seasons?

Well, I just started to watch Season 3 a few days ago, and I have to say I see a slight difference, cannot say yet if that difference is more positive or negative (the last episode I saw was the Adhesive Duck Deficiency, which definitely was different with respect to Sheldon and Penny's relationship; and yes, Sheldon definitely is not gay). I was afraid that the whole show will revolve around Penny and Leonard's relationship, but for now they balance it relatively well.

I'll be able to say more when I see the whole season (which is probably this evening :D).

I think this season was different than former ones in a lot of aspect, but that made me laugh, and gave us new characters, IMO the problem was that there was too much episode centered in Sheldon though he is very funny a lot of him is tiring.

About you say that was better when Leonard tries to win Penny, I think that in a moment this formula can be mechanic , and that way the show would be like Futurama, Leonard as Fry Penny as Leela and Sheldon as Bender.

I think that saying that the 3rd season had less "science-jokes" or "science-fiction refferences" is an overeaction. Probably because people don't like the Penny-Leonard relationship and it clouds their judgement...

For me, the 3rd season is by far the geekier!

And by making fun of creationists, it won me over by the end of the first episode...

I can debate anyone that says the 3rd season is "less geeky" or "less nerdy", point by point, and if I do, it my well prove that the 3rd season is geekier or nerdier than the previous two combined...

Hi we've only just seen episode 17 The Precious Fragmentation this week in the UK this episode was pure gold and is close to being the best yet sadly I've found out what happen's in episode 19 (Bloody Wil) I think in season 2 when Leonard was trying to woo Penny their was a lot of will they won't they but now it's more of when will Leonard win Penny back (please note I did not say if)

I have not seen every episode of season 3 since I am a late comer to the show but I own seasons 1 & 2 on DVD and have them practically memorized. So in comparison of what I have seen I do think this season is of equal quality. I can't wait for the DVDs!

I liked season 3 and found it as funny as season 1 and 2; also, I don't mind Leonard and Penny's relationship.

On the other hand, I do feel that there were less geeky and science references.

This doesn't mean that Season 3 is not as good as Season 1 and 2: in my opinion it is different, but just as good.

Hi Everyone,

I'm actually very new to the show, but I must admit it got me immediately hooked !!

I saw all 3 series almost back to back, and man... what a rush. I was really rooting for Leonard, to get with Penny because I think they belong together.

I found the season 3 every bit as good as the first 2 seasons, only more different as the characters are evolving over the years. Which to me is a good thing, although I was a bit saddened that Penny wasn't "mature" enough to love Leonard back at the end of Season 3.

But ofcourse I realise that this was a very strategic move from the writers to ensure enough options for the upcoming 4th and hopefully 5th and many more seasons to come.

And ultimately (if they listen to the fans and watch the forums of course) they'll probably end up together...

I also like the idea of Sheldon finding someone, and they've ended it pretty good in the last episode with a female version of Sheldon.... funny move.

All I know is, it's gonna be a loooong summer until we have some new episodes in september.

My congrats to the showrunners, writers and of course the brilliant cast for making a IMO second and more modern Friends for everyone to enjoy !!

@ william

(I'm going to note that you don't use punctuation)

I'm sorry your going to have to help me here was that sarcasm ?

Yes...

SarcasmSign.jpg

You don't use punctuation at all, which makes your posts hard to read...

:icon_wink:

For someone who has watched the show from the very first episode, the third season was a bit of a let down. It's not that there weren't spectacularly great episodes, because there were. It's just that the number of mediocre episodes outnumbered the good ones by quite a bit.

The Penny-Leonard relationship was part of the problem. The writers never seemed to quite get a handle on how to portray that dynamic. I had been rooting for them to get together ever since the beginning, but when it actually happened, I was disappointed. I hate to admit it, but I was very glad that they broke up.

A much bigger problem in season three was the way Sheldon was portrayed. In way too many third season episodes, Sheldon was reduced to annoying silliness while the true nuance of his character was drowned in camp and slapstick. Yes, Sheldon's quirks are funny, but only when tempered with a his awkward attempts to integrate those quirks into the group. For examples of this done well, see his interactions with Penny in Dead H00ker ("I was talking about bees. What were you talking about?"), Terminator Decoupling, and Adhesive Duck (the last two scenes of which was one of the finest Sheldon moments in the entire series). In each of these cases Sheldon has had to try to deal with the other characters and struggle with the conflicts within himself between "I am smarter and the way I do things is the best" and "I need to give a little bit but don't know how".

In far too many third season episodes, Sheldon was simply thrown into a contrived situation designed to make him act goofy while we and the other characters were reduced to spectators. Season two had a few episodes like this too, but they were not nearly as blatant. I can barely watch Einstein Approximation or Bozeman Reaction, they're so bad. The ball pit scene is probably one of the worst offenders, but there are plenty of others.

Another problem that's developed over season three came from misguided attempts to repeat a joke. The classic example is the Raj-Howard relationship. Remember the delightful moment in season two when Leonard's mother casually referred to that relationship as an "ersatz homosexual marriage"? The writing in that scene and the comedy timing of the actors was stellar. What followed in the third season, though, was repeated attempts to make the same joke but without cleverness or timing. The resulting scenes were painful to watch, culminating in the absolutely dreadful roller skating scene.

Overall, season three stumbled after the brilliance of the second half of season two. However, the last few episodes of season three were a definite improvement and I have high hopes for season four.

Steve

The Wiki

I agree with almost everything you say Steve.

As for L/P, I don't think the problem was so much the dynamic but rather the that the writers never did anything with them together. We've never even seen them on a date together, just the two of them.

Yes this show definately revolved way too much around Sheldon. It feels like the writers changed the direction and feel of the show due to the character's break-out popularity. We need more group themed episodes.

Man....do you people over analyze or what?!! It's a sitcom...relax and enjoy the week to week

unpredictability? Relationships get boring and predictable when people turn into couples.

Look what happened to Charlie Parker when he got engaged to Miss "controller" who thought she

was going to change him! Did that get boring or what! People can only change themselves and Charlie Parker will never change. He needs more "Rose" s in his life.

On a lighter note, we just wore our new BAZINGA t shirts walking the dog and cat last night.

Can't believe how many neighbors in a two block area knew what it was! Got some good laughs. Amazing, no one even criticized the show. Just how funny it was!

Writers: You will screw up your heads if you take all these criticisms seriously. Just keep doing what

your doing and keep making the world laugh !

I thought season 3 was very good. I enjoyed seeing L/P getting together. I am disappointed that they are currently not a couple although I think that is only temporary. I thought their relationship brought a nice dynamic to the show. Even though some fans didn't like L/P being together, a lot of fans enjoyed their relationship. As for Sheldon, yes they tended to gear a lot of the episodes towards him but he is the most popular character by far. Heck, with 15 million viewers the show can't be that bad.

I personally thought Season 3 was the best one. The entire show seemed more balanced and consistently funny. (Not to say the other seasons aren't brilliant!) I prefer Leonard and Penny being together. It isn't always funny to watch geeks stumble around awkwardly. If there was no growth, what would be the point?

I think TBBT will go down in history someday. :)

I think that there's an obvious difference between Season 3 and the first two seasons, not just because of Penny/Leonard relationship, but because there wasn't so much interaction between Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj like in the first two seasons, and I missed that. Also, the whole situation regarding Penny/Leonard brakeup was a bit disappointing for me, but that Amy F. charater at the end was awesome. I do hope the authors will let her character grow in the future seasons (not necessarily as Sheldon's girlfriend, but I wouldn't mind that either). Also, Wil Wheaton as Sheldon's nemesis is brilliant!!!

I liked the Season 3, and I think I would like it no matter what happened, beacuse it's The Big Bang Theory, and thus cannot be bad :D.