Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tripper

1215 'The Donation Oscillation' (February 7)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, April said:

The problem I have with Penny changing her mind is that the longer it takes the harder it is to sell to the audience.

I mean, they could have easily used the sperm donor plot to do exactly that. They could have her react to the situation with the realisation that maybe she wants kids after all. But they didn't. Instead they reinforced her stance and even let her dad and Leonard support her.

At this point it would just be a hard U-turn* and I'm not sure if I want that with so little time left, tbqh.

(*btw. contrast to Bernadette who had her reservations, too: the first time the topic came up with Howard her stance was already softened a lot cause it was a deal breaker for Howard, so at this point Penny is already putting her foot down harder than Bernadette did.)

Bernie was clear in her reasoning. She didn't want to be restricted by children. Also she was at a time in her life when she'd only just achieved her career ambition. They agreed on a non-down-dragging scenario for her while they were still engaged. Things had changed a lot by the time the first baby was on the way but they worked it out. It was the second baby that was a mistake. Penny's issue has come from who knows where and goodness knows what it is. Goodness knows where they're going with it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, April said:

The problem I have with Penny changing her mind is that the longer it takes the harder it is to sell to the audience.

I mean, they could have easily used the sperm donor plot to do exactly that. They could have her react to the situation with the realisation that maybe she wants kids after all. But they didn't. Instead they reinforced her stance and even let her dad and Leonard support her.

At this point it would just be a hard U-turn* and I'm not sure if I want that with so little time left, tbqh.

(*btw. contrast to Bernadette who had her reservations, too: the first time the topic came up with Howard her stance was already softened a lot cause it was a deal breaker for Howard, so at this point Penny is already putting her foot down harder than Bernadette did.)

I share similar thoughts and concerns.

Like you said I think they have had ample opportunity for her to change her mind and whilst I think the whole donation plot was pretty absurd and bizarre it could have been 'the moment' to change her mind.

I do think Penny will ultimately change her mind and my money is on it being badly handled in terms of the story, though that will probably only bug us who have followed the show closely for years and obsess over storylines lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know if lenny will get the happy ending they/ their fans deserve, let alone see a Penny pregnancy on the show, but what I feel is, they will definitely draw the short straw at the end compare to the other couples.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 12x23 will leave us hanging, but....

I think we are going to get a time jump in 12x24 where this will all will be resolved.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Pennys offer of another job will prove to her that she is successful and will want to work on her personal life

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jonny said:

 

I share similar thoughts and concerns.

Like you said I think they have had ample opportunity for her to change her mind and whilst I think the whole donation plot was pretty absurd and bizarre it could have been 'the moment' to change her mind.

I do think Penny will ultimately change her mind and my money is on it being badly handled in terms of the story, though that will probably only bug us who have followed the show closely for years and obsess over storylines lol.

I guess the writers just decided to hold off until the very end to get on the fans’ nerves. Since they can’t play will they/won’t they card with any of the main couples anymore (we have Raj and Anu, but at this point I don’t think anyone really cares about them), they turned ‘will they/won’t they ever be together’ into ‘will they/won’t they ever have kids’. Personally it makes me really sad, especially if the answer will be ‘they won’t’.

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly ambivalent on kids or no kids for them, I guess I ultimately care about the question 'Are they happy and on the same page about kids?' and that question needs to be answered whether they decide to have kids or not.  I don't think this storyline has provided that answer, I still got the view that Penny doesn't want children (and I respect this a ton, because not everyone wants to have children which is perfectly reasonable and should be absolutely respected), in fact it was even more reinforced to me that she doesn't and Leonard clearly does but he will give it up to stay with her.

I know people in real life whose relationships have ended over the decision to have or not to kids, it's a huge issue and if they are not on the same page or share similar feelings then they should consider the future of their relationship going forward. And even if there is a change, or some shift on the subject, having children for the wrong reasons is really not the way to go and that can end a relationship just as easily.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I know people in real life whose relationships have ended over the decision to have or not to kids, it's a huge issue and if they are not on the same page or share similar feelings then they should consider the future of their relationship going forward. And even if there is a change, or some shift on the subject, having children for the wrong reasons is really not the way to go and that can end a relationship just as easily.

More than once I have seen a relationship suffer when the wife bonded so intensely with the child she hadn't wanted until it arrived that the husband who did want kids got totally pushed aside. I'd be very sad to see Leonard in that position. It's ironic but how a woman is as a mother doesn't necessarily follow on from how she felt about the pregnancy.

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 5:13 AM, Jonny said:

I'm fairly ambivalent on kids or no kids for them, I guess I ultimately care about the question 'Are they happy and on the same page about kids?' and that question needs to be answered whether they decide to have kids or not.  I don't think this storyline has provided that answer, I still got the view that Penny doesn't want children (and I respect this a ton, because not everyone wants to have children which is perfectly reasonable and should be absolutely respected), in fact it was even more reinforced to me that she doesn't and Leonard clearly does but he will give it up to stay with her.

I know people in real life whose relationships have ended over the decision to have or not to kids, it's a huge issue and if they are not on the same page or share similar feelings then they should consider the future of their relationship going forward. And even if there is a change, or some shift on the subject, having children for the wrong reasons is really not the way to go and that can end a relationship just as easily.

you know I am thinking out loud here but there could be another way of looking at this.  If Leonard is so sure he wants to have kids and Penny is just as adamant to not wanting them could this be a potential situation for separation/divorce?  If Leonard puts that question to Penny does she give in and capitulates to his desire. I am not saying I want to see this but it might bring everything to a head and they can openly talk about their situation. I just think that Penny's love for Leonard has grown over the years and she wouldn't want to risk breaking up with him. On the other hand I sincerely feel Leonard would not offer Penny this resolution but it is something to think about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is jmo and I'm not trying to change anyone else's but since my wife passed away my daughter and grand daughter have given me another purpose in life I have something to look forward to every day other wise I might be sitting down in Mexico drinking margaritas and eating fish tacos wasting my life away

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

This is jmo and I'm not trying to change anyone else's but since my wife passed away my daughter and grand daughter have given me another purpose in life I have something to look forward to every day other wise I might be sitting down in Mexico drinking margaritas and eating fish tacos wasting my life away

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 

I hear you and I am sorry for your loss.  I have two grand daughters, the youngest one only born one month ago, and they are the reason I hope to live another 20 years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, legacy99 said:

other wise I might be sitting down in Mexico drinking margaritas and eating fish tacos wasting my life away

I'm terribly sorry for your loss but sitting in Mexico drinking margaritas and eating fish tacos sounds good to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.