The Big Bang Theory Forums
Tripper

1215 'The Donation Oscillation' (February 7)

31 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I’m not going to get into a long discussion on your response because you are already commenting on things I never said.  This discussion blew up with the subject of Free-Fall so I’ll only reply to that, Free-Fall is simply defined as the movement of an object being SOLELY caused by gravity.  

Yes, in Newtonian Physics, for an object to be in free fall, gravity is the only force allowed to act on that object  

If you look at the velocity vectors of objects in space and the direction of the gravitational force you will quickly realize that they don’t meet the definition of Free-Fall.

Velocity vectors have nothing to do with determining free fall, in Newtonian Physics.  The only vector that determines free fall is whether a force vector, acting on an object,  is due only to gravity.   That force vector, modifies the velocity vector. 

You can quote all the bad analogies you want from the internet but that does not make it correct.

OK, how's this? It's not an analogy, it's a definition (see Chapter 3 or 4 of  "Gravitation" by Misner,  Thorne and Wheeler).  In GR, free fall is inertial motion along a geodesic.    An object can have any kind of velocity, and still be considered to be in inertial motion.    Now, different velocities, will have different geodesics, but as long as an object's motion is along a geodesic, and it's in inertial motion, it's in free fall.  

The equivalent, in Newtonian Physics, would be an object in inertial motion (demonstrated with velocity vectors), with gravity being the only force acting on it (a force vector due to gravity). 

Since you seem to believe that the ISS (or any other object in orbit) is not in free fall, what other force, beside gravity, is acting on the ISS?   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sah said:

How is the Penny character ruined by deciding to not have kids? She will still have a wonderful life with Leonard. Just because they may not have kids does not mean her or Leonard's life is over. There really is life to be lived without kids...Penny has matured and grown into her own person since we first met her. I don't see her as ruined. 

No, that hasn't ruined her.

They just haven't written her well in a few years.  The job makes her unhappy.  It would be great if they had her doing something she liked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

No, that hasn't ruined her.

They just haven't written her well in a few years.  The job makes her unhappy.  It would be great if they had her doing something she liked.

No, her life isn't ruined. I do believe that as she gets older, she will regret her decision and will always wonder what if.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Capt. Hilts said:

It would be great if they had her doing something she liked.

Maybe she'll quit her sales job, and open a food establishment.

That'd bring her professional life full circle, except that this time, she'd be the boss.

• Like 1
  • Make a lot more sense than that 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Maybe she'll quit her sales job, and open a food establishment.

That'd bring her professional life full circle, except that this time, she'd be the boss.

I've always hoped she'd be a stringer for a local TV station who gets promoted to on-air.

12 minutes ago, Capt. Hilts said:

I've always hoped she'd be a stringer for a local TV station who gets promoted to on-air.

Is that advertising the product ?

On 2/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, Chrismo said:

I don’t think she changed her mind. But she wasn’t adamant about not having children. Kind of like a politician moving from a liberal to more moderate. While Penny in her underwear got guys gawking there was a point in her behavior. Obviously she didn’t want Leonard to donate but why? She was okay before with his decision. Leonard made a comment towards the end after telling Zack no about putting the blue outfit back on and she said nothing. I don’t think this story is over yet and expect to seeZack and Marissa again.

I also caught that comment Leonard made when they were hugging.  It was something like "is that outfit still available"  which I surmised might lead to a loving mood. If so, you are right this story is not yet over.

3 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I also caught that comment Leonard made when they were hugging.  It was something like "is that outfit still available"  which I surmised might lead to a loving mood. If so, you are right this story is not yet over.

I agree! But, I did love Wyatt's response as well!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, MsGreentea said:

If Leonard didn’t want children or was ambivalent about having children it would be fine, but he is neither.

Really? How often did the subject come up between L&P during the engagement? How about during the period of proposals.

I'm absolutely 100% convinced they will have children, I think the story is totally set up for that conclusion.

The writers think they have crafted this expertly made story with twists and turns and emotional rollercoasters when in reality nobody is or should be shocked when it's announced that Penny is pregnant in the finale or we see a time jump scenes (BTW the one hour finale of TBBT, well probably more like 40 minutes with adverts is perfect for showing us scenes or having dialogue that indicates what happened to these beloved characters down the line).

I'm thinking actually I would prefer that the pregnancy reveal/they did had kids comes in say a time jump scene, for one it adds more of a surprise factor and two I think the chances of an 'in this time period Penny is pregnant' is likely going to be a shock pregnancy and with Penny pretty confident in her views on children and her desire for not wanting them I think a surprise is really not the way to go here.

Overall the way I see it this episode has changed nothing as it stands, they are pretty much back to where they were earlier in the season. Penny doesn't want children and Leonard does but he is going to see if he can live without that to keep his marriage going. If this was real life for one it would have been explored more and openly talked about and two a lot of relationships could break down over this.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I also think episodes like this is all because of the negative feedback from 12.3. It didn’t matter as much in earlier episodes and seasons because the end wasn’t near. It is now. I think generally the audience either wants Penny to have kids or could careless either way. There may be a few people who look up to Lenny as a childless couple but JMO they like the idea but don’t actually watch the show.

i also think Prady or Lorre peons, like Alex Ayers, read forums like this and read articles that Jessica Radloff, Kim Potts, or others right about the show.

• Penny Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Chrismo said:

i also think Prady or Lorre peons, like Alex Ayers, read forums like this and read articles that Jessica Radloff, Kim Potts, or others right about the show.

I certainly hope they do read the before mentioned items!

• Like 1

I am betting on no kids for Lenny...I may be wrong but I saw this episode as affirmation that she doesn't want kids. I take with what I have read in the interview about the finale and it be sad and emotional and not paying lipservice to fans. I just have a feeling that they will go a different way than what fans suspect. Just my opinion though. Nothing else. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sah said:

I am betting on no kids for Lenny...I may be wrong but I saw this episode as affirmation that she doesn't want kids. I take with what I have read in the interview about the finale and it be sad and emotional and not paying lipservice to fans. I just have a feeling that they will go a different way than what fans suspect. Just my opinion though. Nothing else. 

I'm starting to feel that way as well. There's still some hope for those Hofstadter kids, but it's diminishing more and more each day!

• Like 1

My best hope for the finale is Penny isn’t sure she won’t change her mind but doesn’t want Leonard to know because she doesn’t want to devistate him twice.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sah said:

It seems to me that they have to look at syndication. People want happy endings. HIMYM got people’s underwear in a bunch when they had the mother die. That’s why they redid the finale. The other two main storylines on TBBT can go in a couple different directions and people will be happy. There’s flexibility there. I believe Jonny on this  thread a non Lenny fan mentioned after the last episode he was more convinced it was going to happen. I totally agree. As for cast interviews about the finale their comments and 25 cents are worth 25 cents.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2019 at 9:23 PM, Mario D. said:

It was something like "is that outfit still available"

Actually it was:-

"So, that thing you wanted to do last night, I'm available."

and Wyatt's reply was:-

"I've got real good hearing there, stud."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chrismo said:

It seems to me that they have to look at syndication. People want happy endings. HIMYM got people’s underwear in a bunch when they had the mother die. That’s why they redid the finale. The other two main storylines on TBBT can go in a couple different directions and people will be happy. There’s flexibility there. I believe Jonny on this  thread a non Lenny fan mentioned after the last episode he was more convinced it was going to happen. I totally agree. As for cast interviews about the finale their comments and 25 cents are worth 25 cents.

We still can only hope for those cute Lenny kids. But, to paraphrase you, hope and 25 cents are only worth 25 cents!

3 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Actually it was:-

"So, that thing you wanted to do last night, I'm available."

and Wyatt's reply was:-

"I've got real good hearing there, stud."

More great lines added to the Lenny experience!

9 hours ago, chucky said:

More great lines added to the Lenny experience!

Totally different response to that of Dharma's father.

13:00

ETA: I think this was my favourite sitcom, until TBBT came along of course.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:48 AM, Jonny said:

I'm absolutely 100% convinced they will have children, I think the story is totally set up for that conclusion.

The writers think they have crafted this expertly made story with twists and turns and emotional rollercoasters when in reality nobody is or should be shocked when it's announced that Penny is pregnant in the finale or we see a time jump scenes (BTW the one hour finale of TBBT, well probably more like 40 minutes with adverts is perfect for showing us scenes or having dialogue that indicates what happened to these beloved characters down the line).

I'm thinking actually I would prefer that the pregnancy reveal/they did had kids comes in say a time jump scene, for one it adds more of a surprise factor and two I think the chances of an 'in this time period Penny is pregnant' is likely going to be a shock pregnancy and with Penny pretty confident in her views on children and her desire for not wanting them I think a surprise is really not the way to go here.

Overall the way I see it this episode has changed nothing as it stands, they are pretty much back to where they were earlier in the season. Penny doesn't want children and Leonard does but he is going to see if he can live without that to keep his marriage going. If this was real life for one it would have been explored more and openly talked about and two a lot of relationships could break down over this.

I am kind of leaning this way myself.  I just cannot believe that after 12 yrs. and with Penny & Leonard being the core couple of this show they will end it without Penny getting pregnant. And you are right with all these manipulations in the storyline they seem to be heading that way. Why else would they have this Zack/Marissa  storyline?  I looked at that hug scene over again and Penny's heartwarming side of it with her facial image of concern when Leonard says he would be heartbroken knowing a child is out there and he was not the father convinced me that she will change her mind somewhere along the way. The only issue I can see is how tptb write this change in. It would have to be something that would satisfy many fans.  Additionally, Kaley herself said that she hopes they change their minds on Penny getting pregnant.......so if she has any influence it may happen.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I am kind of leaning this way myself.  I just cannot believe that after 12 yrs. and with Penny & Leonard being the core couple of this show they will end it without Penny getting pregnant. And you are right with all these manipulations in the storyline they seem to be heading that way. Why else would they have this Zack/Marissa  storyline?  I looked at that hug scene over again and Penny's heartwarming side of it with her facial image of concern when Leonard says he would be heartbroken knowing a child is out there and he was not the father convinced me that she will change her mind somewhere along the way. The only issue I can see is how tptb write this change in. It would have to be something that would satisfy many fans.  Additionally, Kaley herself said that she hopes they change their minds on Penny getting pregnant.......so if she has any influence it may happen.

She gets food poisoning from the conference or some rubbish she buys on the way home, so her pill doesn't work. When she finds out she's pregnant she actually feels pleased about it.

Alternatively, or additionally Leonard turns out to have a by-blow somewhere - the mother gets in touch wanting school fees for a certain type of education. The child comes to stay to get to know its father. Penny bonds with it. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 12:08 PM, Mario D. said:

But Penny doesn't want kids. I hope she sticks to her decision. At this point, I don't want her to have kids out of guilt or regret. 

On 2/12/2019 at 6:48 AM, Jonny said:

Unlikely, but I hope Penny doesn't change her mind now. Not because she can't , but because it is a bit insulting to assume that every woman who wants to be childfree , ultimately changes her mind. It already hapenned with Bernadette. 

Edited by serena_1995
  • Thanks 1

Unlikely, but I hope Penny doesn't change her mind now. Not because she can't , but because it is a bit insulting to assume that every woman who wants to be childfree , ultimately changes her mind. It already hapenned with Bernadette. 

But we dont know why penny doesn't want kids. Tptb is keeping it tight lipped. Until we know the reason why, it is not insulting to people who want to be childfree. Thats their choice. Penny can change her mind if she wants. For all we know, it's a stupid reason why she doesn't. After all it's a sitcom. People change their minds all the time and Penny is no exception.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The problem I have with Penny changing her mind is that the longer it takes the harder it is to sell to the audience.

I mean, they could have easily used the sperm donor plot to do exactly that. They could have her react to the situation with the realisation that maybe she wants kids after all. But they didn't. Instead they reinforced her stance and even let her dad and Leonard support her.

At this point it would just be a hard U-turn* and I'm not sure if I want that with so little time left, tbqh.

(*btw. contrast to Bernadette who had her reservations, too: the first time the topic came up with Howard her stance was already softened a lot cause it was a deal breaker for Howard, so at this point Penny is already putting her foot down harder than Bernadette did.)

• Like 1

The problem I have with Penny changing her mind is that the longer it takes the harder it is to sell to the audience.
I mean, they could have easily used the sperm donor plot to do exactly that. They could have her react to the situation with the realisation that maybe she wants kids after all. But they didn't. Instead they reinforced her stance and even let her dad and Leonard support her.
At this point it would just be a hard U-turn* and I'm not sure if I want that with so little time left, tbqh.
(*btw. contrast to Bernadette who had her reservations, too: the first time the topic came up with Howard her stance was already softened a lot cause it was a deal breaker for Howard, so at this point Penny is already putting her foot down harder than Bernadette did.)
I dont think it will be hard to sell to the audience if tptb decided to bring back dumb Penny as they have done for laughs in the past and Penny changing her mind.
Tptb have left the can opened by not revealing Penny's reasoning for not wanting a bun in the oven.
I don't want the writers to go down that route, but I wouldn't put it pass them.
All they have to do is come up with a lame scenario and all along, Penny simply reveals the reason was, she wasn't ready then, but now she is. Job done.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 2