The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ivana

British TV shows

I simply love British TV shows! Jeeves & Wooster, You Rang, M'Lord?, Only Fools and Horses, The Red Dwarf, Allo' Allo', and I do believe there are more, but I just cannot remember the titles, are so awesome, I could watch them over and over again. They really go all the way when they are mocking something/someone, and the humor is so "indirect", sarcastic, the cast always so perfectly chosen for the part, I cannot find any fault in them whatsoever.

Opinions from other members of the forum :) ?

true. british tv shows rock. fawlty towers, black books, coupling, it-crowd, a.s.o.

btw. i hear red dwarf is really great but i havent actually seen it. amazon has these two dvd collections for the whole series. any recommendations?

no1

no2

I really enjoyed the David Croft productions, Allo' Allo' and Are You Being Served. The two TV series starring Penelope Keith, To The Manor Born and The Good Life, are also my favourites.

All time favourite would be Keep Up Appearances, with Patricia Routledge. I always feel sorry for her husband, Richard!

There are probably a lot more BBC shows, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

personal favourites are jeeves, men behaving badly, auf fiedersen pet, allo allo.

-the common denominator is that they are all classics, made before 2000 hit the yearbook. as for the pet, I only like the first season in the germany, others were a bit rubbish.

but all in all, brit comedies beat american sitcoms hands down.

Ahhhh, a subject clsoe to my heart lol. It's one of the few things we brits can be proud of these days. The list of classic british comidies is really endless. Again the ones that spring to mind are "Dads Army" "Keeping up Appearences" "Black books and the "IT Crowd"

I also echo the thoughts about David croft. Most of his stuff is excellent.

Personally speaking i'd highly recommend "Red Dwarf" as its one of my all time favs. However i am also aware it can be a slightly aqquired taste. I'd recommend watching a bit on youtube before you go buying anything. Try something like "The gunmen of the apocolypse" or "Timeslides" As these shows show just how varied the Red Dwarf epsidodes were whilst still having the same humour throughout.

Here in finland it is a bit difficult to see all the great brit comedies.

That is why I collect DVD boxes as much as I can afford.

My next purchase will definitely be the first seasons of The Last of The Summer Wine, which I think is just brilliant. i saw some episodes in local tv some time ago, and the earlier wpisodes were pure gold. The newwer not so. it was touching how the actors kept playing in the series till they died!

-Ive never seen Dads army, but have heard about it from many brit fans, so I suppose I shall have to get it someday. Same about red dwarf.

true. british tv shows rock. fawlty towers, black books, coupling, it-crowd, a.s.o.

btw. i hear red dwarf is really great but i havent actually seen it. amazon has these two dvd collections for the whole series. any recommendations?

no1

no2

There is plenty of red dwarf on you tube. I would say that season 1 would not be a great introduction as it is quite dated now and not the funniest. If you enjoyed the series and wanted to see how it began then that would be the time to watch it. Series 2 picked it up a notch with the stories becoming more sci-fi orientated. you can look for the following eps on you tube:

Kryten

Better than life

Thanks for the memory

Stasis Leak

Queeg

Parallel Universe

Series 3 to 6 are absolutely excellent with great comedy and excellent sci-fi stories.

Series 7 introduces a love element so drops down in comedy and fan ratings (after episode 1 which is fab, where JFK has to go back in time in order to execute himself from behind the grassy knoll).

Series 8 is good also, though not as good as 3 to 6.

by the way, I used to own an "all the shows" box set but then discovered the absolutely EXCELLENT extras on the individual series discs and so bought all 8 over time and gave away the "all the shows" box set.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B000087LON/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1280716151&sr=1-8&condition=new

Here's one I simply adore:

Return to Brideshead

Mind you, I only like the first two episodes.

I also have the second episode on CD (I recorded by linking my digibox to my PC, and then recorded the soundscape with the handy 'what you hear' thingy.

Now I can listen to this episode from cd, and dream that I am in the old blighy, drinking afternoon tea with the lads.

Surprising thing about this show is that even though it is so gay, most englishmen still love it as much as I.

I also have to mention Rik Mayall - he is simply BRILLIANT! "The New Stateman" and "Bottom" are the perfect examples of his talent. Although "Bottom" definitely is an acquired taste :D

have any of you seen the BBC series called

Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy???

I love the hitchhiker books, but hated the film. I just want to know if the old BBC series is good or bad. If it is good, I might order it online...

thanks for feedback!

Ah yes, i forgot about hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I have the books, film and original tv series. The original tv series i feel is far better than the film. The only thing you have to remember is that its is a sci-fi that was filmed in the late 70's/early 80's so aslong as you don't mind the awful attempts at special effects it is an awesome series. In someways, the awful special effects adds to the humour.

Ah yes, i forgot about hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I have the books, film and original tv series. The original tv series i feel is far better than the film. The only thing you have to remember is that its is a sci-fi that was filmed in the late 70's/early 80's so aslong as you don't mind the awful attempts at special effects it is an awesome series. In someways, the awful special effects adds to the humour.

I very much like old scifi stuff just because it has the sort of handmade effects that you do not get these days. I love them. they are so solid and real.

-I mean when they do effects like spacecraft with computers, you can see they are just digital images, which lessens realism. (Babylon5 is a god example) But in the old days the spaceships and all were real, concrete models, and so are much more solid and real than their electronic counterparts. If you know what I mean.

have any of you seen the BBC series called

Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy???

I love the hitchhiker books, but hated the film. I just want to know if the old BBC series is good or bad. If it is good, I might order it online...

thanks for feedback!

reasonably funny, but I thought most of the acting was dire! You should check out some clips on you tube. That should give you an idea if you would like it or not

yes! i got the hitchikers guide series (the olde BBC series from the eighties)

-and it was surprisingly entertaining! I especially liked the dude who acted arthur dent. He was also in Brideshead, as the lord brideshead!

I also got Auf Wiedersehen Pet, season one. It has excellent sound and picture quality, given that it is as old as the hitchhiker. real joy to watch!

yes! i got the hitchikers guide series (the olde BBC series from the eighties)

-and it was surprisingly entertaining! I especially liked the dude who acted arthur dent. He was also in Brideshead, as the lord brideshead!

I also got Auf Wiedersehen Pet, season one. It has excellent sound and picture quality, given that it is as old as the hitchhiker. real joy to watch!

The actor who played Arthur Dent also played a character in Black Adder. Does anyone know which character?

The actor who played Arthur Dent also played a character in Black Adder. Does anyone know which character?

I cannot really remember him there... Hmm, maybe he was the scarlet pimpernel? Or one of the superstitious actors (macbeth!)

Yes it was Sir Walter Raleigh, and thank you for cheating Pennyless (although I assume you thought I didnt know and you were trying to be helpful). Just for that you lose a retina and miss a turn (colon, capital D).

Agreed - English comedy is indeed the shiznit. Particularly Blackadder (Rowan Atkinson is far more funny when he has speaking roles) but Red Dwarf has definitely garnered more yuks for me than any other. How could one not be amused by an alley cat evolving into a stylishly dressed black dude? Chicken vin da loo, popadoms and a lager flavored milk shake.

These are mine favorite British TV Shows like Agatha Christie's Poirot , The Fast Show , The Worst Week of My Life , Fawlty Towers , Doc Martin , British Men Behaving Badly , Monty Python's Flying Circus , Extras , The Chase , Only Fools and Horses.

Now you're talking....

Black Boots

Spaced

The IT Crowd

Absolutely Fabulous

Being Human

Red Dwarf

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Man to man with Dean Learner

Hyperdrive

Love it!

Guest bensmith5542

My favorite British TV shows are How I met your mother, Dr. Who, The Big bang theory and Big Brother.