The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ivana

British TV shows

Monty Python is what I grew up on, and I just finished a 5-page paper on Messieurs Jones,Gilliam,Chapman,Palin, Cleese and Idle :icon_mrgreen:

That's a short list. Just Monty Python!!

Here in finland it is a bit difficult to see all the great brit comedies.

That is why I collect DVD boxes as much as I can afford.

My next purchase will definitely be the first seasons of The Last of The Summer Wine, which I think is just brilliant. i saw some episodes in local tv some time ago, and the earlier wpisodes were pure gold. The newwer not so. it was touching how the actors kept playing in the series till they died!

-Ive never seen Dads army, but have heard about it from many brit fans, so I suppose I shall have to get it someday. Same about red dwarf.

Classic line:

German: (to Pike) "Vot is your name?"

Capt Mainwaring (pronounced Man-nering): "Don't tell him, Pike!"

German: "Ah! Pike!"

:D

My newly acquired British tv show addiction is "Downton Abbey" Absolutely love this show & bought Seasons 1,2 & the Xmas special on sale in the UK 3 weeks ago. Have already seen Season 3 & am now eagerly awaiting the New Xmas special from this year...Dame Maggie Smith is superb in this & has great one liners. Awesome writing from Julian Fellowes.

I only hope there will be a 4th season!

A little preview for those interested:

These are my favorite BBC programs

As Time Goes By

Dr. Who

Monty Python

Downton Abbey

Edited by BillF63

I agree that British shows, especially comedies, are great, but note that all of you have listed very old shows. And I noted one enormous gap, namely Absolutely Fabulous. Also for the very best of British wit you really need to see Have We Got News For You. For those who don't know it, it's more a topical news show with the most scathing, hilarious wit at every turn. A tiny bit along the lines of Real Time with Bill Maher, but a lot more casual.

I lived in both England and Wales for a total of 20 years before moving to España 14 years ago, and although I get quite a lot of British TV there are many shows I do miss.

I agree that British shows, especially comedies, are great, but note that all of you have listed very old shows. And I noted one enormous gap, namely Absolutely Fabulous. Also for the very best of British wit you really need to see Have We Got News For You. For those who don't know it, it's more a topical news show with the most scathing, hilarious wit at every turn. A tiny bit along the lines of Real Time with Bill Maher, but a lot more casual.

I lived in both England and Wales for a total of 20 years before moving to España 14 years ago, and although I get quite a lot of British TV there are many shows I do miss.

I used to watch "Have I got news for you" a lot some years back. Sad thing is, one had to keep some track of the British news. as a lot of the fun bits are geared towards stuff that happened in tabloids, news etc.....Also I think not everyone will like the British humor, like done in Absolutely Fabulous...I happen to love a lot of what the English tv puts on btw...

Last night I watched an episode of The Inbetweeners USA. It was dreadful, it just doesn't translate.

Sometimes we just need to realise that an original diamond connot be copied.

Example: Does anyone think another country could copy TBBT with equal results?

One brilliant show is

Inspector Lewis

Much better than inspector morse. Lewis is great geordie bloke, and he has this genius sidekick who can speak latin fluently and who has read all the classics. Just the partner he needs, as they are in Oxford and need to hobnob with the intelligentsia...

Very intelligent cop show.

I've just discovered this thread about British comedy.

So I can write a list of my favourites as I recall them.

My Family

The Vicar of Dibley

Not going out

Miranda

Doc Martin

Absolutely Fabulous

As Time Goes By

Yes, Prime Minister

To the Manor Born

Just Good Friends

The Good Life

Are You Being Served

Only Fools and Horses

and of course Mr. Bean

Edited by wannamaker

As anybody seen "Last Tango in Halifax"?

I just love it.Watched it because of Anne Reid,who did an superb job(especially in the last episode) but I have to admit that I fell head over heels in love with Caroline :icon_redface:

Celia and Alan are so cute together.Can´t wait for the next season.

I'm from Britain and I usually hate British TV shows. I usually prefer American comedy - evident in my liking of The Big Bang Theory. Jeeves and Wooster is amusing, however.

I like Countdown and University Challenge, but other than that there's nothing that I can really think of.

This 'My Mad Fat Diary' program on E4 looks absolutely terrible.

I love british shows! awe :)

My favorite BBC shows are:

A Bit of Fry and Laurie (I believe this is better than America's SNL)

Jeeves and Wooster

Blackadder (Row, row, row your boat. Gently down the stream. Belt's off, trousers down, isn't life a scream. ohe! haha)

QI

My Family

As Time Goes By

Doctor Who

Keeping up Appreances

Monty Phython

My favourite British actors:

Hugh Laurie

Stephen Fry

Alan Rickman

Rowan Atkinson

John Cleese

Michael Caine

Geoffery Palmer

Daniel Craig

Colin Firth

Liam Neeson

Hugh Grant

Favourite British actresses.

Judi Dench

Emma Thompson

Audrey Hepburn

Dawn French

Natasha Richardson

Liam Neeson isn't British. He's Irish, and lives not far from where I used to work. His name is actually William, and instead of shortening it to Bill or Will, he chopped off the beginning and went with Liam. I met him in the bank at one point and seen him around town all the time. It was madness the day his Wife was buried.

Anyway, I love all things Monty Python. But right now, my favorite British show is Top Gear.

Edited by Anomaly

Found some Morse boxes from flea market, with a lot of episodes I've not seen!

So, it's off to Oxford.

-Mind you, at the rate the professors are killed in Oxford, I fear we will not have the universities up and running that much longer!

Does anybody watch Come Dine With Me? Such a simple concept but so funny

Personally I do not like watching people eat. Especially british people.

Good day, prior lurker here, practising posting.

"The Mighty Boosh" is strangely absent from these lists. I presume it is not shown anywhere on American television?

It's a gentle, rather surreal cross between The Goon Show (radio) and some sort of Yellow Submarine spinoff, and follows the adventures of a self-proclaimed Jazz Maverick and a flamboyant toff who work at the zoo. It can be extremely silly and very disturbing. Carries on a vaguely Pythonesque tradition. Certainly recommend, although it takes a while to understand what the devil you're watching. Wine helps.

I'll add also, obviously, Blackadder, The Young Ones, Black Books and Father Ted (Irish).

I don't think I've seen the genre 'Celebrity Panel Show' outside of the United Kingdom..,

They're game shows with no prizes featuring celebrities...

Shows specific to topics I like like one called Nevermind The Buzzcocks for Music

or Politics/current news;

Have I Got News For You (which now has guest hosts asking the questions);

or Q.I. a Celebrity Panel Show about... anything as Q.I. stands for 'quite interesting'..

Series A - M was hosted by Stephen Fry

Series M - Z? hosted by Sandi Toksvig

these are shows that I like, there are more that I like, watch, and there are even more that I've heard of...

a lot of unscripted comedy in the UK..

The Young Ones

Dempsey and Makepeace

East Enders

Are You Being Served?

Downton Abbey

Home Fires

Black Adder

Just finished the second series of Peter Kay's Car Share, really really good. Everything about it is just comedy genius, they simply have to do a third series!

Sad news Peter Sallis died today aged 96, a good innings. He was in the much loved Last of the Summer Wine a British sitcom that was on television for 37 years the longest running ever. In his later years he was probably most famous for the voice of Wallace in Wallace and Gromit.

Edited by Jonny

There's this new one I like because it's about time travel and it's a sitcom, and it's a sitcom about a group of South London musicians (I'm a South London musician) sent back in time from 2017 to 1926.

It's got adult humour.

It's called Timewasters.

Edited by ShelledInCoopedUp

Regarding time travel and London, one of my favourite British sitcoms is Goodnight Sweetheart, which is about TV repairman Gary Sparrow (played by Only Fools and Horses star Nicholas Lyndhurst), who discovers he can time travel back to 1040s London.

Other British sitcoms I enjoy are A Fine Romance, As Time Goes By (both staring Dame Judi Dench), and On The Up, staring Dennis Waterman.

• Like 1